Rek Seven

Saving Vehicles and Tents

I have no doubt that this has been suggested in the past so i'm not here to make a suggestion, instead i would like to know the reasons.

Why are vehicles and tents tied to the server and not to the player the same way inventory items are?

If it was done like this, then tents and saved vehicles wouldn't load into the environment until the player that saved them entered a server. I would guess that this would be lees demanding on the servers (But idk for sure) and we wouldn't end up with hundreds of abandoned tents clogging up the more popular servers.

Answer/thoughts?

Edited by Rek Seven

Sounds like your way of protecting your hoarded items.

This isn't minecraft.

The game isn't about hoarding 50 chests full of diamond pickaxes and resources.

The tents and vehicles are saved on the server, and free game for anyone who comes across them, because Rocket wants you to never feel safe and always have that sense of paranoia with you whereever you go in the game. If you really want to safeguard your items, then either play on low population servers or be smart about where you attempt to hide your tents and vehicles.

You need to learn not to get too attached to the gear, cause the gear certainly isn't attached to you.

Maybe because u could just stole cars from servers and take them to second one ? It's even impossible for now and let it stay like it is. We dont need it. Tents maybe yes, but cars - NO for god sake NO !

No whitemouse you are wrong. I don't what to horde my stuff. Infact i have never even pitched a tent. It's just that with the current instabillity of the game and the servers, i don't like the idea of being tied to a server.

Plus, lets say the items were tied to the player, they would still be at risk of being stolen while you are online. By your rationel, your character should just lie down and sleep when you log off instead of disapearing from the server.

WavezZ, i see your point on the vehicle thing but it could potential work if the spawn mechanics were tweaked or the game simply informed you that the maximum number of vehicles for that server had been reached and as a result, your vehicle could not be loaded this time... But yeah, tents would work.

Tents and vehicles provide you with a camp that all your friends can use to stock up on supplies as well as being a key point where you can run back if you are killed to arm yourself as well as quickly get some food and drink, and most likely some basic tools. At least if your team is actually thinking ahead while using the camps.

Also, if you want to keep those camps, you need to defend them. Which means you should make regular stops by the camp, or even have people around to watch it during peak hours to avoid scavengers or teams that raid camps. It provides you with a point of relative safety as well as quick way to re-equip yourself or simply switch weapons based on what your intentions are for the day... i.e. overwatch and sniping, solo runs into towns and so on.

With all the benefits having a camp site gives you, there definitely should be drawbacks as well. And right now, those drawbacks are the simple fact that you need to defend your camp.

No, you can't protect your camp at all times, or all hours of the day. Once you place a tent, or obtain vehicles you can be 100% certain that they will eventually be raided or stolen... just as you can be 100% certain that you will at some point end up dead and have to restart (yet again).

If you could simply log off your tent and entire camp, then it would be too simple for people to keep their stash safe. If you suspect someone found your campsite on a server, you could just log off and go to another server... and they would never be able to figure out where you went... thus won't be able to find your camp again. However, as it stands now... if you engaged someone by your camp you have 2 choices... either defend it and fight it out... or break up the camp to relocate it elsewhere.

This is a good thing since it more or less forces you to actually fight for your stuff.

With your suggestion about logging off your entire camp... you could just Alt-F4 your whole campsite the minute you knew someone came across it.

Game needs less logoffski, not more.

Persistant tents and vehicles = good thing.

• Like 2

Think about 40 driving around in cars on one server.. this idea will never could be worked out. And your camp, will maybe be loaded in another camp. nah..

Tents and vehicles provide you with a camp that all your friends can use to stock up on supplies as well as being a key point where you can run back if you are killed to arm yourself as well as quickly get some food and drink, and most likely some basic tools. At least if your team is actually thinking ahead while using the camps.

Why are you okay with people dying and their tent still being there so that the player is effectively risking nothing? Isn't this supposed to be a perma-death game?

It could be made so that your tent stays on the server you logged off on until you log back on to another server.

Again, i have no problem with my stuff being vulnerable. I just don't like the idea of having to play on the same server all the time... But i guess it has some benefits, thinking about it.

Think about 40 driving around in cars on one server.. this idea will never could be worked out. And your camp, will maybe be loaded in another camp. nah..

See my first reply.

It will only get better. There was an interview with Rocket the other day where he said he wants to implement security systems into the game. You could then potentially set up a camp that was very difficult to enter and loot. He also wants to implement underground bases. So that will someday make it easier to hide ones items. I feel your pain Rek, but it just has to be this way.

• Like 1

No whitemouse you are wrong. I don't what to horde my stuff. Infact i have never even pitched a tent. It's just that with the current instabillity of the game and the servers, i don't like the idea of being tied to a server.

I think you are simply being paranoid. For someone who has never played around with tents before, claiming server instability as a reason against server persistant tents is weak, in my opinion. I've never had issues with a server messing up a tent. You are also not tied to a server because you pitched a tent in one server and stashed gear there. You can still roam about other servers. If you need to revisit your tent, all you need to do is travel to the spot your tent's at and relog into the server that has it. I find it highly unlikely this mechanic will change, so you'll have to compromise like I suggested or not even bother with tents and vehicles.

You misunderstand montival. The servers don't mess up the tents but i come across all abandoned tents all the time one servers. (Does anyone know if that increases lag / frame rate /load times?)

I originally thought that tents were tied to players and that when i saw one, it meant that the player was online and i had to be cautious but it turns out that i was wrong and that i can just go storming in like a madman and take what i want. WIN :D

I found a camp last night and got a bunch of cool stuff and stole a car. Then the server kicked me and i lost said car :(

But as Humbabwe said, it will get better so i will just deal with it for now. It's not like it's a massive issue for me anyway. I was just wondering if there was a better alternative to the current implementation.

Edited by Rek Seven

Why are you okay with people dying and their tent still being there so that the player is effectively risking nothing? Isn't this supposed to be a perma-death game?

It could be made so that your tent stays on the server you logged off on until you log back on to another server.

Again, i have no problem with my stuff being vulnerable. I just don't like the idea of having to play on the same server all the time... But i guess it has some benefits, thinking about it.

If you place a tent, then die, you can no longer pack your tent and relocate it. Also the tent will disappear after awhile. So yes, you can still run there and grab stuff even if you died, however your tent cannot be moved anymore... so if you need to move camp you're all out of luck.

Also, why should tent disappear if you die? That would mean whoever killed you near your camp to raid your gear wouldn't be able to do so. That's more of a flaw than you being able to run back to a tent you pitched previously.

Tents being persistant on server they are placed, as I stated, is a good thing.

What you need to do is simply think twice about whether or not you want to place it on the server you are on or not. In either case, you can simple repack the tent and then move to another server and pitch it again (provided, of course, that you haven't been killed on the character that owned the tent when it was pitched).

I see absolutely no problems with the tents being persistant on the servers they are pitched on.

I see your point. Actually I didn't even know you could pack the tent up again.

I can't wait until we can set up structures with watchtowers and stuff.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Honestly, I'm fine with it as is. If this is a simulation, people shouldn't have the luxury of being killed and then being allowed to run back to regear at their tent. If this is the case, I want this option when I die IRL. I'll stash all my cool stuff in a storage shed, and when I die, I want to respawn and reclaim my stuff....then again, if I rez on a beach, who the hell cares about the stuff. ;)

I have no doubt that this has been suggested in the past so i'm not here to make a suggestion, instead i would like to know the reasons.

Why are vehicles and tents tied to the server and not to the player the same way inventory items are?

If it was done like this, then tents and saved vehicles wouldn't load into the environment until the player that saved them entered a server. I would guess that this would be lees demanding on the servers (But idk for sure) and we wouldn't end up with hundreds of abandoned tents clogging up the more popular servers.

Answer/thoughts?

No, this is a good idea, has everyone on here that dislikes this idea ever had a car and hidden it? I say had, for you certainly no longer possess it. So many cheaters use scripts to simply find your vehicle that you spent hours on, it's not fair and if they aren't going to fix the cheaters then they should at least give us a way to keep vehicles from them. Vehicles have come to a point for my group where it's no longer logical to obtain them for they aren't worth the time spent on them, because someone steals them within seconds.

No, this is a good idea, has everyone on here that dislikes this idea ever had a car and hidden it? I say had, for you certainly no longer possess it. So many cheaters use scripts to simply find your vehicle that you spent hours on, it's not fair and if they aren't going to fix the cheaters then they should at least give us a way to keep vehicles from them. Vehicles have come to a point for my group where it's no longer logical to obtain them for they aren't worth the time spent on them, because someone steals them within seconds.

No items you find in this game are yours forever, including what you are carrying as well as your own life.

Cheaters that can find your hidden vehicles using scripts can also just spawn in additional vehicles... so why would they care about finding and running to your pickup truck when they can just spawn 5 of them next to themselves?

The scripting and cheating is completely rampant lately (which is major reason why I have put the whole game on ice for now), but even if it wasn't... do you think you OWN the vehicles you find in the game? Or that items you come across are yours forever and you can just stash it all away in a secure location and keep them? That's not how the game works, or how it should work.

So you found a car, great. Now you have an advantage over others, so use it while you can. And if you are smart and hide it well, you may even keep it for a few days. But eventually it is going to be lost. Either stolen, destroyed, despawned by server, glitched out, you crash into a twig at 10kmh and it instant-explodes... either way... at some point you are gonna lose it.

And noone is gonna steal it "within seconds" unless you park it in a high active area (such as anywhere near Cherno or Elektro, as well as the other larger towns like Berezino, Stary or Zelenogorsk... or anywhere along the coast for that matter. We had two vehicles for over a week, a sedan and a large Ural truck. You try hiding a white/bright blue truck and see if you can't spot it for miles around. It's huge, shines up like crazy (especially with the messed up bloom effects) and is overall nearly impossible to miss. But we hid it in a location where we knew very few people traffic through.

However, I was on just recently, camped out where our vehicles had been... and everything was gone. Sedan, truck, even our bicycle.

Most important thing you need to learn in DayZ is to not get attached to your gear, because you WILL lose it. That's only a matter of time and it doesn't matter if it's your can or beans or your helicopter.

Sorry for being obtuse, but just to clarify... I found a van in the woods and took it. I drove around and filled it up with sweet loot, then stashed it on a remote ridge where I thought nobody would find it, and clicked "save."

Then, I died by zombie. If I start a new character today, will that van still be stashed with my stuff? Is this why I never see repairable vehicles?

Sorry for being obtuse, but just to clarify... I found a van in the woods and took it. I drove around and filled it up with sweet loot, then stashed it on a remote ridge where I thought nobody would find it, and clicked "save."

Then, I died by zombie. If I start a new character today, will that van still be stashed with my stuff? Is this why I never see repairable vehicles?

The van will stay stashed for 6 days. Assuming you find it first, and before 6 days, it should still be there.

Tents clogging up more popular servers could be fixed if everyone had the ability to pack up a tent they found....

Tents clogging up more popular servers could be fixed if everyone had the ability to pack up a tent they found....

Please don't resurrect three month old threads.

Vehicles and tents are tied specifically to the server and not the player because you can't technically "own" a car or tent. Doing that would be too much of an advantage to the players. That's why several other players are able to hop into your vehicle and drive away, or take a peek into your tent and steal you stuff. You just have to hope that the next time you log in, you trusty tent will still be up and not be crushed by your UAZ, which also mysteriously disappeared.

The game depends on unfortunate events, and vehicles and tents are a luxury, to have, but also a risk to have.

I might be nice enough to put something in a tent I happen to find, maybe a weapon that I really don't need.