A Bush killed me

No Respawn button now? /sigh

There is no where in the OPi said it will ruin the mod. This is about trying to play with your friends and making it even harder to do so.

Its an alpha, the current build and feature set is not the final build and feature set. Rocket has said multiple time he wants to add mechanics to support teamplay and he has more than strongly hinted at a group spawn mechanic.

Just be patient.

A single change ruins the ENTIRE mod? You, sir, are overexaggerating.

None of them said it was ruining DayZ.

Also like every other first person shooter ever… or do you actually think CoD is unique in this respect?

No, but It seems like you and others are expecting the wrong things out of this game.

Arma/Dayz isn't like every other FPS game on the market. Arma is a tactical military similation and DayZ doesn't have a cleary defined genre. It's a persistant world survival/horror/RP shooter with a very strong emphasis on realism.

No triple AAA FPS is like it. It plays nothing like Call of Duty, even Battlefield these days is just glorfied TDM with flags and vehicles. Those games are super fast pased, action heavy pick up and play games on small maps. This isn't L4D with magical resurrection closets.

If you come to this game expecting any of that you just don't get it. The idea of a squad spawning system is ludicrous, the risk of dying is simply that. That character is dead. The reason you are dead is because you make a mistake, next time try not to make that mistake.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-

Just add to that massive post count. E-pen over 9000!

Listen, dude; we're having a discussion. You seem a lot more interested in my post count than I am. I like DayZ. I participate in the forums. A lot. I'm not throwing my post count in anyone's face, nor am I particularly proud of it. It just is. So you can kindly get off my dick about it and focus on the discussion, okay?

IMO it takes way too long to meet up with friends. When other games make it 1000x easier to do so, it will only lead to people leaving this game for others...

Other games make everything 1,000x easier. That's precisely why DayZ is amazing. Other games make finding your way around easy by giving you an awesome in-game map with flashing icons and arrows and a built-in compass. Other games make it easy to identify friends and enemies so you always know who's who. Other games make it easy to chat with anyone anywhere in the world any time you want. Other games make it easy to determine what your goal is and what the next step is toward reaching it by adding quests and waypoints and objective indicators. Other games make it easy to recover after dying, either by reloading a recent save or spawning at a forward control point. Other games make finding vehicles easy by making them infinitely respawn every 10 seconds in the same spot over and over and giving them inifnite fuel.

DayZ is not other games. That's precisely what makes it so compelling and amazing. It breaks the status quo and does things differently and it doesn't apologize for that. It rubs it in your face and sometimes it makes you angry and frustrated, but that's something, isn't it? That's something besides just sitting there slack-jawed occasionally adjusting your balls when they start to tingle.

So, yeah, when people show up guns blazing saying "Make DayZ like other games!" I stand and face because that's the last thing DayZ needs. rocket has carved out a niche for DayZ precisely by saying "I'm going to do things differently and if you don't like it tough shit." And that's awesome. No major publisher or developer has been willing to do that in the online gaming space in 15 years and speaking as someone who has been playing online games since 300 baud modems were all the rage, I can tell you it's pretty exciting.

So you enjoyed the half hour run?

Yes, as a matter of fact. I do enjoy the time alone right after spawning. If nobody is available to pick me up in a vehicle, I don't sprint directly to my friends. I take my time and plan a route that passes through some safe but lootable areas like medium value farm buildings, deer stands, or the outskirts of major settlements if I think I can skirt by without attracting attention.

This way, by the time I do reach my friends I usually have a few bandages, maybe a blood bag or two, a Winchester and a backpack. That way I'm actually useful to my friends instead of just being an extra mouth to feed.

Not everyone is unemployed and living in their parent's basement with infinite time to run around in a game.

In this economy? More people are every day. If you had been in that situation, you might have a litlte more sympathy.

But, I'm not; I have a full time job and a family. I also have hobbies other than DayZ, believe it or not.

At any rate, you don't need an "infinite amount of time" to travel to anywhere on the in-game map. Absolute worst case scenario you die somewhere like the NWAF and spawn in Solichniy. That's still only ~10km, or 5km run if your friends meet you halfway.

You sprint 5m/s so you can run 5km in 15 minutes which is slightly less than an infinite amount of time.

Why in the world do you need to say that in that way?

Well, for one because I'm an arrogant asshole. I would say I'm sorry, but I stopped apologizing for that when I was a teenager.

But, more to the point I get a little touchy when I see people calling for changes and additions to the game that already exist because it speaks to a lack of willingness to use the tools at your disposal to accomplish your tasks and goals in the game - which is the essence of sandbox gameplay. My group realized very quickly the value of having a way to quickly pick up new spawns on the coast, so we worked hard until we acquired a motorcycle and now we use that motorcycle almost exclusively as a death retrieval machine. It has made probably two dozen trips from ~Devil's Castle down to the coast and has helped us recover countless dead bodies. It's very satisfying when you spawn alone on the coast and a few minutes later hear the buzz of that engine coming over the hill toward you...

So it's frustrating after putting the effort and planning in to accomplish this to see someone come along and say "rocket really needs to add a way for us to meet up with friends faster!"

It's like it's right there waiting for you! Go use it and let rocket focus on things that the game doesn't already have.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

So some people can meet up with their guys in less than 15 min. Well if you camp the coast and hit the respawn button like mad, maybe then other than that I call BS on this. And the hint of not dying so often is really good, I like that. Either you guys don't take any risks, DC a lot, hack or are supermen in a survivor outfit. If you are supermen with super-pro specops sniper skills, be happy about it. And would you pros maybe allow others not so gifted persons to have some fun playing with their friends. Oh yeah, I forgot, you can't have fun playing this game, can't you.

Personally I do have limited time to play and I don't want to spend it getting from A to B. Oh and not to forget I actually like this game and no, I don't want to play some other zombie game.

And to help you a bit in your rage some arguments if you run out:

L2P noob, if its too hard go play hello kitty online, this is alpha, don't get attached to your gear, learn to play it the right way/you don't play it right, go back to CoD, BF, L4D, this isn't supposed to be fun, you carebear/CoD-kiddie, you don't play that game like I do, so you are an idiot, camper, your mom can't cook, that is an anti-game, it isn't intended to be <insert any adjective you can possibly think of> so gtfo and stfu. This covers probably most of the arguments in every thread in this forum. And as we have that out of our way, maybe we can start a more civil discussion - yes/no/maybe?

Bear Grylls was killed

Bear Grylls was killed

Jimmybob was killed

Bear Grylls was killed

Jimmybob was killed

Jimmybob was killed

Bear Grylls was killed

Noobster was killed

Bear Grylls was killed

Noobster was killed

Jimmybob was killed

'Nuff said.

Like Call of Duty? Boohoo.
Also like every other first person shooter ever… or do you actually think CoD is unique in this respect?
No, but It seems like you and others are expecting the wrong things out of this game.

I expect it to be fun. If that's the wrong thing to expect, then this isn't a game.

In this economy? More people are every day. If you had been in that situation, you might have a litlte more sympathy.

That's a lot of assumptions for one paragraph. Here's another one: most people don't have 15-30 minutes to waste finding their buddy in the woods somewhere just so they can START playing.

The bottom line is that the frustration of finding your friend so you can play together is adding nothing to the gameplay. All it does is get in the way of actually enjoying the game.

I expect it to be fun. If that's the wrong thing to expect, then this isn't a game.

That's a lot of assumptions for one paragraph. Here's another one: most people don't have 15-30 minutes to waste finding their buddy in the woods somewhere just so they can START playing.

The bottom line is that the frustration of finding your friend so you can play together is adding nothing to the gameplay. All it does is get in the way of actually enjoying the game.

It does more than that. Besides reducing server load it'll force players to play intelligently and maybe treat their characters as more than disposable targets. I'll be surprised if gangs of people are still deathmatching in Cherno or Elektro after this patch.

Also, if a person doesn't have 10-15 minutes to "start" playing then they're trying to play the wrong game. It can take longer than that to get somewhere interesting. Sounds like some of you are more interested in camping Cherno and killing noobs than surviving.

That's a lot of assumptions for one paragraph. Here's another one: most people don't have 15-30 minutes to waste finding their buddy...

In what sense is it a waste?

You have your buddy now, and a trusted companion is the single most important survival "item" in the game - more important than any piece of equipment, weapon or vehicle.

So in essence asking to automatically spawn near your friends is the design equivalent of asking to spawn next to a pile weapons or medical supplies or food & water.

If you want weapons and ammo, work for them.

If you want food and water, work for it.

And if you want a friend to watch your back, work for it.

If you're not willing to spend 15 minutes doing that, then, and I hate to go there, but go play a different game. DayZ isn't about giving you things for free. You should have realized that the first time you appeared on the beach with nothing in your hand but an old flashlight and some ibuprofen.

The bottom line is that the frustration of finding your friend so you can play together is adding nothing to the gameplay.

Being alone is more challenging and dangerous.

So the "frustration" of finding your friends adds both danger and challenge to the game.

Both good things.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

I hate the respawn button I am glad it is out, after a while you get tired of people who are non stop spawning in order to find the place to spawn near friends. This is a SURVIVAL game, no one ever said survival is easy, not even Chuck Norris. So just man up and head towards a major city, abort and come back in, look at the bottom right text and it will tell you exactly where you are or most nearest to.

Blah Blah Blah Blah the day I spawn in at 00,99,00,99 or the ocean or Stary or Degub and I can't click respawn like the 20 times in the past. Yeah im done. Id rather be kicked in the nuts than have to run 2hrs to make it to the edge of the player map. Granted thats if I even have a map and compas when I log in and the clowns who say just use the online maps...you might as well be scripting/hacking....If you cant see my point then theres no hope for any of us.

LET ME BLOW MY BRAINS OUT OR SLIT MY WRISTS OR SWALLOW A ROCK AND CHOKE FOR ALL I CARE...Running around trying to have a Zed eat me wont work in the debug forest or 00,99 spawn or the ocean.

We need "RESPAWN" till Rocket figures all that crap out instead of fixing "ANIMAL AI" <--WTF!?!?!

P.S. Figured i should say it since now over 400k new noobs own the game and are of the flaming type. I DO WANT THE RESPAWN BUTTON GONE. I once killed/"respawned" a 16 day Char with all my 1337 gear due to the fact I was falling asleep at the chair and went to ABORT for the night at my camp and clicked "RESPAWN"....Died so far out no one was gonna recover that body or give it a proper burial, still pissed.

So for me its a love hate but at the moment with all the PROBLEMS WE NEED IT SORRY.

Edited by RyBo

"dammit, sorry guys i didnt get a good respawn. I am going to let this zombie eat my face real quick and try again." -_-

It does more than that. Besides reducing server load it'll force players to play intelligently and maybe treat their characters as more than disposable targets. I'll be surprised if gangs of people are still deathmatching in Cherno or Elektro after this patch.

What does that have to do with the issues of hooking up with your friend?

Also, if a person doesn't have 10-15 minutes to "start" playing then they're trying to play the wrong game.

Says who? You?

I'd wager most people don't want to run around in the woods alone trying to find their friend when what they actually wanted to do was play WITH that friend.

In what sense is it a waste?

You have your buddy now,

15+ minutes of running around looking for my friend is a waste of time. I should be able to start playing right next to my friend who is also just starting.
If you're not willing to spend 15 minutes doing that, then, and I hate to go there, but go play a different game.
No. I'm not going to go play another game just because some faux-elitist wants me to.

Rocket himself has said that grouping features will probably make their way into the game. What a sad day that will be for you. You won't be forced to use a map on the internet just to find your friends anymore.

Being alone is more challenging and dangerous.

So the "frustration" of finding your friends adds both danger and challenge to the game.

Both good things.

Spawning away from your friend adds nothing to the game but frustration. Everything else is also present when you're together.

You know what it removes? Immersion.

Oh, maybe you LOVE tabbing out repetedly to look at the map on DayZDB to try to figure out where you are. Unfortunately it only breaks the immersion for most.

Basically, not spawning within a reasonable distance of your friend adds nothing to the gameplay, and instead is a frustrating and immersion-breaking experience.

On top of that, this creates additional issues with getting stuck in a rock, breaking a leg in the wilderness, or spawning in debug. It's a bad design decision.

• Like 1

People need to stop throwing around that it takes "10-15 minutes" to meet up with your friends. If you die at the Northwest Airfield and spawn in Elektro, it's going to take a fuckload longer than that. All you are doing is trying to make your point sound better, but the problem is, your point(If you're one of those inbred jackasses suggesting this) is fucking stupid and incorrect.

Once again, address the fact that disabling respawns does nothing to relieve the server load on the hive. As some have pointed out, it will actually be worse. Now people will suicide by zombie, which means running somewhere zombies spawn, which in all probability is also a loot spawn.

Disabling respawn, once again, is entirely idiotic. It will add an additional 10+ minutes on average to when I can start actually going to meet my buddies and will add more pressure to the hive for the loot that is being spawned as I run into Solichiny to die. I will still save time suiciding til i'm at Kamenka then heading up to the airfield from there.

Use some fucking common sense people. This change only creates frustration and addresses nothing. It fixes nothing.

People need to stop throwing around that it takes "10-15 minutes" to meet up with your friends. If you die at the Northwest Airfield and spawn in Elektro, it's going to take a fuckload longer than that. All you are doing is trying to make your point sound better, but the problem is, your point(If you're one of those inbred jackasses suggesting this) is fucking stupid and incorrect.

Once again, address the fact that disabling respawns does nothing to relieve the server load on the hive. As some have pointed out, it will actually be worse. Now people will suicide by zombie, which means running somewhere zombies spawn, which in all probability is also a loot spawn.

Disabling respawn, once again, is entirely idiotic. It will add an additional 10+ minutes on average to when I can start actually going to meet my buddies and will add more pressure to the hive for the loot that is being spawned as I run into Solichiny to die. I will still save time suiciding til i'm at Kamenka then heading up to the airfield from there.

Use some fucking common sense people. This change only creates frustration and addresses nothing. It fixes nothing.

Protip: Insulting people doesn't get you on their good side.

How are you to know what causes what and how much lag is caused by our actions? I saw the post on the delays that a character brings to the server and I'm not sure creating a character is anywhere near that of zombie/loot spawns. This may or may not be a good idea, but where is your source that this will produce more lag then prevent?

Edited by Muffinsforever

The game isn't a deathmatch.

Dying SHOULD make it difficult to group up again and cause some larger consequences than just killing yourself over and over again then running quickly back to where you died.

This change is awesome, and if people are complaining about running back to group up AFTER THEY DIED, they are playing the wrong game... again, it isn't a deathmatch game.

• Like 1

Protip: Insulting people doesn't get you on their good side.

How are you to know what causes what and how much lag is caused by our actions? I saw the post on the delays that a character brings to the server and I'm not sure creating a character is anywhere near that of zombie/loot spawns. This may or may not be a good idea, but where is your source that this will produce more lag then prevent?

Rocket said creating characters is the most intensive thing the hive has to do. Helps if you read other posts.

Protip: Insulting people who don't understand basic logic is the only way to feel like the conversation is worthwhile. Try it sometime.

The game isn't a deathmatch.

Dying SHOULD make it difficult to group up again and cause some larger consequences than just killing yourself over and over again then running quickly back to where you died.

This change is awesome, and if people are complaining about running back to group up AFTER THEY DIED, they are playing the wrong game... again, it isn't a deathmatch game.

I swear it's like people just read the title then post their two cents. What part of "this doesn't fix that" do you not understand? It's been outlined very clearly in this thread.

Edited by Valec

Rocket said creating characters is the most intensive thing the hive has to do. Helps if you read other posts.

Protip: Insulting people who don't understand basic logic is the only way to feel like the conversation is worthwhile. Try it sometime.

I swear it's like people just read the title then post their two cents. What part of "this doesn't fix that" do you not understand? It's been outlined very clearly in this thread.

In my eyes, I see it fixing this actually.

If it takes longer to kill yourself over and over again, that is a step towards fixing it. If it is more time consuming to get the spawn point you want after dying, I see that as more consequences for dying in the first place. Any additional punishment for dying the first time (even if it is just more time to get the spawn you want) is an improvement in my eyes.

I can see how for you this doesn't do anything but add 10 minutes to getting back to where you died, and I respect your logic in that. But for me, 10 more minutes of consequence is a good thing.

Edited by FlatFeet

In my eyes, I see it fixing this actually.

If it takes longer to kill yourself over and over again, that is a step towards fixing it. If it is more time consuming to get the spawn point you want after dying, I see that as more consequences for dying in the first place. Any additional punishment for dying the first time (even if it is just more time to get the spawn you want) is an improvement in my eyes.

It doesn't take significantly longer. Just enough longer to be annoying. Not enough to prevent me or anybody else who respawns until they are where they want to be from doing it.

This change literally does nothing to alleviate the supposed problem. Stop arguing that it does. You're wrong. It doesn't.

I also want to reiterate that putting anti-grouping mechanics in a game is a really, really good way to destroy the population.

It doesn't take significantly longer. Just enough longer to be annoying. Not enough to prevent me or anybody else who respawns until they are where they want to be from doing it.

This change literally does nothing to alleviate the supposed problem. Stop arguing that it does. You're wrong. It doesn't.

I also want to reiterate that putting anti-grouping mechanics in a game is a really, really good way to destroy the population.

You keep saying we are wrong. Uh, why are we wrong again? Is it the part where we speculate due to a lack of data and information (where I would gladly be wrong, so I can learn) or the part where we express our opinions and feeling in general about this idea?

Also, protip: using a protip to counter a protip is really stupid.

• Like 1

How about learning where to find yourself by your surroundings? How about walking 20 minutes to find your friends? How about learning something? You complain when games hand things to you on a platter and now you complain when there is an element of difficulty involved.

• Like 2

bashing re-spawn so u can gain an advantage whether it be close to yur previous corpse , closer to certain area, closer to friends ... arent these excuses class as an exploit ... we want rid of glitches n exploits !!

• Like 1

Taking any amount of additional time to get back to where you died (within reason of course, like less than an hour) is an improvement to me.

I understand that you don't agree and I can respect that too. I'm just more of the mindset that I want deaths to matter more so than they do now, but can see that many people may not like that.

Im for this option. Respawn is cheating basically. No one ever said this game is easy.

• Like 2

I am glad about this change because respawn is dangerouly close to options and has no follow-up-question if I am really sure.

• Like 1