A Bush killed me

No Respawn button now? /sigh

You do have a map on spawn, it's called google.

Respawn made it to easy to just keep respawning to try and get a good spawn location, which isn't intended.

So to make up for a demeaning change in game, we should look out of game to solve it? Hmm sounds right...

I have hit the Respawn button on accident multiple time when looking to press options. I think that this change is not overall beneficial to the game and adds no "realisim." Suddenly appearing on a beach with no recollection of how you got there is unrealistic enough. The only point to this is taking 20 minutes of wasted time to meet up with a friend or traverse to another high loot spawn area. If anything include a time penalty, not taking out the feature totally. I mean what would you rather do, spend 5 minutes sprinting to Cherno or spend 5 minutes waiting to spawn there, or easily another worthwhile/worthless place?

sorry guys I forgot 2012 running simulator. I love the responses "plan a route and go find them" So if i respawn near cherno and my friends spawns in elecktro ; its GG see you guys in 30 min hopefully i dont get KOS?

If it takes you 30 minutes to get from cherno to electro your doing something so wrong.

Removeing respawn option in a alpha stage = bad. Cause well this is a alpha and there is still bugs breaking peoples legs and getting them stuck all over the map. So a complete removeal of this option is a bad decision.

Sure i dont mind running, i like running in this game (even if i got vehicles) because i never know what i might find. But breaking a leg because i accidently walked over a tiny rock miles away from the nearest "natural" death would make me mad, and i would proberly quit playing the game after a few times experianceing this scenario.

Just put a timer on the respawn option. or heck even put a forced 5min coma everytime you die if the timer is not programmable, just dont remove it.

im all in for the improvement of server performence, but not a the expense of a 1km crawl to the nearest zed infected house.

Edit: or make morphine spawn more often and more places :D

Edited by Honey Badger.
  • Like 1

there are not any "bad spawns" unless you are trying to get somewhere specific. some spawns are more ideal for getting quick loot but those places are also death camps. I am all for this update. anything to make servers run better.

then I hope this, and other similar future changes force you to fuck off and find another game.

CFbBo.gif

• Like 1

then I hope this, and other similar future changes force you to fuck off and find another game.

Nah because like other people, if the game changes to the point of being retarded. I will find other ways of enjoying it like the hackers are doing now.

Waaah! My feet hurt. I had to run a few kilometers!

Only career gamers could possibly be so fucking lazy that they won't even run virtually.

Alright basement dweller. Let me help you see what your dilated pupils cannot adjust to.

Most people don't have their mom making them PB&J sandwiches while they play a videogame during their summer vacation. Over 1k forum posts? and you play this game? You sir have a LOT of free time on your hands.

I, along with a majority of others, do not have an insanely large amount of free time to dick around in a game. At most I have 90 minutes to play in an evening. If I want to play with my friends, we first have to find a server with reasonable ping, find a server with the correct patches, find a server that is daytime (havent found NVGs during my limited playtime), and then find each other. If I spawn in Solnichniy and my mate spawns in Kamenka, what is the point of playing that evening? We're better off running to a mutually agreed upon point on our own time and then meeting up later. So what, then we get killed early into our next play session and start this BS all over again?!?!?!?!

I've never played a game where it was harder or took longer to meet up with IRL friends.

By in no way am I frustrated with DayZ. I spawn, I die, I respawn, I keep playing. But if it's 1000x easier to group up with a buddy in ANY other online game...eventually that's just what will start happening. People will leave.

Edited by SterlingArcher

Alright basement dweller. Let me help you see what your dilated pupils cannot adjust to.

Most people don't have their mom making them PB&J sandwiches while they play a videogame during their summer vacation. Over 1k forum posts? and you play this game? You sir have a LOT of free time on your hands.

I, along with a majority of others, do not have an insanely large amount of free time to dick around in a game. At most I have 90 minutes to play in an evening. If I want to play with my friends, we first have to find a server with reasonable ping, find a server with the correct patches, find a server that is daytime (havent found NVGs during my limited playtime), and then find each other. If I spawn in Solnichniy and my mate spawns in Kamenka, what is the point of playing that evening? We're better off running to a mutually agreed upon point on our own time and then meeting up later. So what, then we get killed early into our next play session and start this BS all over again?!?!?!?!

I've never played a game where it was harder or took longer to meet up with IRL friends.

By in no way am I frustrated with DayZ. I spawn, I die, I respawn, I keep playing. But if it's 1000x easier to group up with a buddy in ANY other online game...eventually that's just what will start happening. People will leave.

Someone with a brain. That or people will just start hacking like they are now.

Nah because like other people, if the game changes to the point of being retarded. I will find other ways of enjoying it like the hackers are doing now.

You now have implied not once, but twice on this page that you will cheat if they don't fix it in the way how you view the game and how you think it should be. That is beyond sad, honestly.

If you want a game that requires 10 seconds to play with your friends, then I think Day Z might not be your cup o' tea in that situation. I'm not going to insult you for having that opinion and while you might enjoy the game when you have time, I really don't think (and it's obivous) it's a quickpick kinda setup game like most are. That might interfere with playability in +2 man squads who want to get started real fast but (IMO) I think thats the point. You log off together and if you wanna start as a new squad (ie someone has died or new people added), it SHOULD -again IMO- take some time. No offense, offcours.

This.

Now end the thread, because it's pointless.

Yeah, we get it. But if you read the thread, you might understand that there are other options that just dying. Getting stuck somewhere, hackers teleporting you or breaking your legs can be a real fucked up situation, although I admit that in 95% of cases you can indeed just hurl yourself at zombies. But for the sake of discussion you need to add that too, especially in Alpha.

Edited by Ferrex

If you want a game that requires 10 seconds to play with your friends, then I think Day Z might not be your cup o' tea in that situation. I'm not going to insult you for having that opinion and while you might enjoy the game when you have time, I really don't think (and it's obivous) it's a quickpick kinda setup game like most are. That might interfere with playability in +2 man squads who want to get started real fast but (IMO) I think thats the point. You log off together and if you wanna start as a new squad (ie someone has died or new people added), it SHOULD -again IMO- take some time. No offense, offcours.

I completely understand this. No offense taken. But I wouldn't mind losing all my gear if it meant I could play with my friend for that evening. I enjoy playing multiplayer games for that very aspect--the multiplayer. I don't log into DayZ to spawn near Pogorevka and cycle loot by myself in the middle of the damn woods.

Having said that, it's getting harder and harder to convince my friends to play DayZ with me. They'd rather play TF2, Tribes Ascend, or a litany of other games because matchmaking is a walk in the park compared to meeting up in DayZ, especially now.

Edited by SterlingArcher
  • Like 1

"The main issue is one of performance.

Creating a new character is the single most performance intensive operation the game/central server ever has to do. Each time this happens, it adds at least 0.2 seconds of pause to the server to devote to this task. Take a server with 50 people, you are starting to have real issues. Now imagine it with 100, or 150 people.

What the fuck? Why would you 100% devote the server resources to character creation in the first place (with top priority)? Create a new, low-priority thread which generates new characters. Sure, the overall time to create the character will be longer, but there will be no interruption of service. That's of course assuming that the programmer(s) aren't retarded and don't dead/livelock the server. Basic realtime programming 101: kind of essential when making/designing a large scale game.

The longer character creation time would probably deter people from mass respawning, anyways.

/rant

We should be able to create a party with our buddies and then respawn in the same area, or at least a LITTLE close to them. I won't lose 30 minutes to get to my friends when i'm playing with them, it's easier to get killed by a zombie and then try spawning again.

Edited by Fenrig

I completely understand this. No offense taken. But I wouldn't mind losing all my gear if it meant I could play with my friend for that evening. I enjoy playing multiplayer games for that very aspect--the multiplayer. I don't log into DayZ to spawn near Pogorevka and cycle loot by myself in the middle of the damn woods.

Having said that, it's getting harder and harder to convince my friends to play DayZ with me. They'd rather play TF2, Tribes Ascend, or a litany of other games because matchmaking is a walk in the park compared to meeting up in DayZ, especially now.

One perspective, maybe, might be that in this stage of development Rocket can't focus as much on matchmaking (the aspect, not actual portalling or something like that). However, as the game progresses he might (I say might, not will for you trolls) add mechanics on how to get with your squadmates faster. But I really think that this game is starting from the Lone-Wolf principal and having squadmates is something that is available, has a lot of positive aspects but is not the main focus.

Edited by Ferrex

Only people with virtually no life don't care about the potential loss of time doing what you enjoy(actually playing the game with friends) and instead think it's fine to spend approximately half of the time you should be playing trying to catch up with your group.

Well stop getting killed so often then, use more caution and work together better.

• Like 1

At most I have 90 minutes to play in an evening. If I want to play with my friends, we first have to find a server with reasonable ping, find a server with the correct patches, find a server that is daytime (havent found NVGs during my limited playtime), and then find each other.

Why do you have to do this every time you play?

Do you die every night before you log off? If so, you should worry less about your friends and focus on mastering the basics. My group of ~6 friends always log off in roughly the same spot each night and we log in together the next time we play. Sometimes one of us gets bored and wanders off lone wolf style for a day or so, but never far and never for long. If one of us does happen to die, which is like once or twice per week, the others all pile in a vehicle and go down to the coast to pick up the fresh survivor.

As for the server, why do you have to find a new one every night? Pick a server that matches your play time, has a reliable ping and keeps itself up to date. Preferably one which has contact info for the admin available. There are plenty out there. Then just always play on that server. You will want to stick to a home server once you have tents and vehicles anyway, so you might as well find one now. My group chose a server months ago and have used it ever since. No problems. No fuss.

In short, get your shit together. The game shouldn't allow you to spawn in your friend's lap just because you don't want to put forth a little effort toward planning and organization, let alone basic survival.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

However, as the game progresses he might (I say might, not will for you trolls) add mechanics on how to get with your squadmates faster.

Yeah. Like multi-passenger vehicles! That would be awesome. I can hardly wait which is good since I don't have to.

In the hour long interview he said he wants to add some sort of group dynamic. Everyone fuckin relax. Why is this topic still happening?

The removal of the respawn button is welcome, at least for me. I've accidentally respawned about three times now. Not fun.

Why do you have to do this every time you play?

Do you die every night before you log off? If so, you should worry less about your friends and focus on mastering the basics. My group of ~6 friends always log off in roughly the same spot each night and we log in together the next time we play. Sometimes one of us gets bored and wanders off lone wolf style for a day or so, but never far and never for long. If one of us does happen to die, which is like once or twice per week, the others all pile in a vehicle and go down to the coast to pick up the fresh survivor.

As for the server, why do you have to find a new one every night? Pick a server that matches your play time, has a reliable ping and keeps itself up to date. Preferably one which has contact info for the admin available. There are plenty out there. Then just always play on that server. You will want to stick to a home server once you have tents and vehicles anyway, so you might as well find one now. My group chose a server months ago and have used it ever since. No problems. No fuss.

In short, get your shit together. The game shouldn't allow you to spawn in your friend's lap just because you don't want to put forth a little effort toward planning and organization, let alone basic survival.

Just add to that massive post count. E-pen over 9000!

I have the basics down. My friends die. I need to find them. That means I have to leave the north and make my way to the coast. Then I have to find my friend on said coast--before he dies. I should be able to trade my precious gear to play with my friends on the coast when they spawn in. IMO it takes way too long to meet up with friends. When other games make it 1000x easier to do so, it will only lead to people leaving this game for others, which doesn't make them noobs, carebears, or pansies.

In ~600 hours I've spawned in wilderness twice.

Made it out alive both times.

I think we will be okay.

I love it. 5-10 minute run turns into "can't group up with friends."

Reminds me of my son who cries and screams and stamps his feet when I tell him to clean his room when all he has to do is pick up like six fucking legos and a pair of dirty socks.

I'll tell you what I tell him; If you used the energy you're using to complain to pick up the legos instead, you would be done already.

So you enjoyed the half hour run?

It happens to other more, what if a hacker spawns you there?>

When other games make it 1000x easier to do so..

Like Call of Duty? Boohoo.

ZedsDeadBaby makes a totally valid point, everything he descibes me and many others have done within a group. I never died once when I played with other people. It's only recently when I've been playing lonewolf style that things have been more difficult, so if you are frequently dying with friends you are doing something wrong. If you are dying this much I'm not so convinced you have "the basics down"

Maybe you and the people you play with need to be more cautious and plan things out a bit better.

Like Call of Duty? Boohoo.
Also like every other first person shooter ever… or do you actually think CoD is unique in this respect?
Yes, because we all spawn without feet.

You fucking people are so fucking lazy.

Not everyone is unemployed and living in their parent's basement with infinite time to run around in a game.

Even among those people that have unlimited time to spend on DayZ, their friends won't necessarily have the same time they do.

Meeting up with a friend needs to be easier. Previously, this was done by respawning a few times. Now, people will just run into a town to suicide anyway.

Congratulations! You've failed to reduce server load, you've made it more annoying to group up with your friends, and you've given hackers a new method of pissing everyone off (by teleporting everyone a few feet into the air to break their legs.)

Yea, great change. <_<

Edited by Falcrist
  • Like 1

Yeah. Like multi-passenger vehicles! That would be awesome. I can hardly wait which is good since I don't have to.

Why in the world do you need to say that in that way? Besides the fact that vehicles don't spawn like makarovs, I'm just trying to help someone, or bring some perspective and have an actual discussion/conversation. I guess I was wrong to try that here.

Edited by Ferrex