A Bush killed me

No Respawn button now? /sigh

Biggest thing I'm concerned about is if I break my legs and there are no zombies around

“If”

If both players know the map well enough to move in the correct direction, and they don't have to take massive detours to avoid cities, then they can generally reach each other within about 15 minutes.

Why would I be worried about those players? If we're talking about a pair of experienced players, how often are they both going to have to spawn on the beach? I told you pretty clearly that I was talking about new players… you know… the ones that are required for this project to have any kind of longevity?

Guys like me? You have absolutely no idea what kind of player I am. What are you, 12 years old? Stop making idiotic assumptions.

It has never taken me or anyone else I've played with 10 minutes to load in. My guess is that you need to find a new server or PC.

Why do you think I'm making these posts in the first place? I've seen enough interviews with rocket to know that he will change his mind about some of this stuff.

What part of “just starting” did you not understand? It really didn't seem like a difficult concept to understand.

By the way, I know the map pretty well, and I'm not crying about anything. I'm telling you and rocket that this is a bad design decision.

Yeah, guys like you. Based on your whiny posts about the respawn button being removed. Quite a few people here have mentioned the load in times. Do yourself a favor and use the forum search feature if you can't be bothered to read this thread.

Even inexperienced players can print out a map. Is that cheating? Most sandbox games come with maps so I don't really consider that the case. Learning how to read contour lines on a map doesn't take too much time and pinpointing a location and path based on a map isn't that hard with a tiny bit of experience.

You haven't even see what this change will do to the game. How about you try it out before freaking out?

You're the one acting childish here. Try to tone it down and people might take you seriously.

I think Rocket should focus more on fixing bugs than removing the respawn button and adding bear traps, unsless he's working on the standalone this is just silly.

Respawn should work for those with broken legs. Otherwise you will have griefers who prowl the coast knee capping players and leaving them.

Also hackers have the ability to break the legs of every player on the server. What happens then? There will be a mass exodus from the game when this happens. Very few will want to crawl across the map in search of morphine.

Implementing a 10 minute respawn delay on new spawns would avoid the server lag issues caused by people seeking better spawn points.

• Like 1

Respawn should work for those with broken legs. Otherwise you will have griefers who prowl the coast knee capping players and leaving them.

Also hackers have the ability to break the legs of every player on the server. What happens then? There will be a mass exodus from the game when this happens. Very few will want to crawl across the map in search of morphine.

Implementing a 10 minute respawn delay on new spawns would avoid the server lag issues caused by people seeking better spawn points.

Hackers are already messing stuff up as it is, now everyone needs to just carry morphine on them which they should already, this respawn button removal won't change hackers at all, won't make them any worse either. Personally, i'd rather my legs get broken than get outright killed by a hacker.

Edited by Momiji

Yes i'm playing a video game
» Participates for hours and hours in a completely unproductive activity

» Calls others lazy while doing so

» Fails to see the irony

Yeah, guys like you. Based on your whiny posts about the respawn button being removed.
When I asked if you were 12, it was a rhetorical question.

At no point in this thread have I whined. It's a bad design decision, and I've said so pretty clearly. If the only way you can deal with my opinion is to classify it as whining, then that's your own problem

Quite a few people here have mentioned the load in times. Do yourself a favor and use the forum search feature if you can't be bothered to read this thread.
And yet in this very thread, people have noted the death spam that they see in some servers. If it's taking you longer than a minute or two to respawn, you're doing something wrong.
Even inexperienced players can print out a map. Is that cheating?
Did I say it was cheating? Don't put words in my mouth.
You haven't even see what this change will do to the game. How about you try it out before freaking out?
Nobody has seen what this change will do to the game, including you, and nobody in the thread is “freaking out.”

I mean, god FORBID someone disagree with a decision Rocket makes. They must be classified as whiners and “Anti-Rocket Alliance” members so that we can ignore their statements!

You're the one acting childish here. Try to tone it down and people might take you seriously.
Nice attempt at a troll. I've been pretty polite to you. In return you've repeatedly made silly assumptions about what kind of player I am.

It's not necessary for you to be a brand new player to see the effect this will have on other brand new players, yet that's essentially what you're implying.

Hackers are already messing stuff up as it is, now everyone needs to just carry morphine on them which they should already, this respawn button removal won't change hackers at all, won't make them any worse either. Personally, i'd rather my legs get broken than get outright killed by a hacker.

A hacker can also delete your gear. What happens when a hacker deletes everyone's gear and then breaks their legs? With no respawn you will have the ultimate grief.

Implement a respawn delay of 10 to 15 minutes on new characters and people would not be inclined to continually respawn for a better position.

Edited by Jack Booted Thug

» Fails to see the irony

I like the part how you ignore the rest of the comment, very mature of you. Gaming is a way for me to socialize with friends i am unable to see often. That includes running back from dying which is part of the game experience.

A hacker can also delete your gear. What happens when a hacker deletes everyone's gear and then breaks their legs? With no respawn you will have the ultimate grief.

Implement a respawn delay of 10 to 15 minutes on new characters and people would not be inclined to continually respawn for a better position.

A hacker can also crash the server and wipe all data from the server, hackers are an inevitability, this is an experimental fix, if it works great, if it doesn't something else will be thought up to address the issue.

This removal of the respawn button is not a hacker fix, it is a server load fix because consistently respawning characters strains the server. You would be just as frustrated at a 10-15 minute delay as you would complete removal, both can be abused by hackers.

And think about it, if your so called completely harmless respawning to get a good spawn was not affecting anyone or anything, Rocket wouldn't be trying to get rid of it.

Delay is the best solution for the alpha stage. The NO-RESPAWN will be funny at the beggining but after a while it will become annoying.

By rocket on reddit:

"The main issue is one of performance.

Creating a new character is the single most performance intensive operation the game/central server ever has to do. Each time this happens, it adds at least 0.2 seconds of pause to the server to devote to this task. Take a server with 50 people, you are starting to have real issues. Now imagine it with 100, or 150 people.

So at a base level, having people respawning to get where they want will simply not work. Adding in a "spawn area" is possible but I don't really like the idea.

Also, there is the side benefit of seeing if more consequence to death == change in player behavior. We just don't know, and nobody can accurately speculate, what effect such a change might have.

On the balance of everything, we will try it in closed testing (at least) this week to see what the results are. Then we will discuss, and make a decision.

My plea, is to remember we are experimenting here to try and find exciting new game design solutions to problems, without having to constantly retreat to compromise or the "old" ways of solving these issues.

So I think saying it is a "terrible change" is not the best way to think about it, at worst, it should be "terrible consideration" at which point, feel free to discuss and it will help me avoid the really stupid considerations in favor of options that might be better."

And:

"What if players still glitch in to debug areas?"

Rocket:

"I replied in the thread, detection of this is now in place. Hopefully this will be effective, otherwise there may have to be new ways. If testing throws up issues, I will simply add a prompt to the respawn option. This is more work, and not ideal, but if debug spawns are a problem this will be the solution."

Even Rocket prefers Reddit to this place then.

I like the part how you ignore the rest of the comment, very mature of you.
I like the part where you assume I didn't read your whole post just because I didn't quote the whole thing. Very mature of you.

Seriously, though. Just because I didn't quote something doesn't mean I didn't read it. My reply covers your whole statement.

This change is not welcome at all. It is already hard enough to find your friend you want to play with. Games should support playing with others, not torture you for trying. If this stays in the current build we need to have at least a map when we spawn. People will just quit out of frustration trying to find their friends. This is bad game/mod design imo.

It's a one day learning curve, stop bitching.

Since there's nothing we can do (this is happening, Rocket wants it for server performance), let's talk about how we'll cope!

1. We'll have to be even more careful from now on.
  2. I predict that Hospitals are going to be even MORE hot now, because EVERYONE is going to want LOTS of Morphine.
  3. That and Grenades. People will want grenades to blow themselves up with.

I like thinking about how game changes will change the mindsets of people.

Edited by Max Railgrave

This is a great decision and I hope it forces all you whiners hellbent on transforming this game into every other game out there to fucking quit. :thumbsup:

Everyone that gave beans to the OP should be embarrassed and consider quitting as well, or maybe just pursue console gaming.

It's more your pace.

Edited by Dasein808
  • Like 1

If Rocket develops it then fine, but you really think he will let you spawn on your friends directly? that would make griefing and camping high value areas even worse.

I think a feature like this would only work if all members in the same group were starting a new character.

Fresh start, no gear, just put them in the same place so they can start the game together.

After that if they get separate they would need to walk to group up again.

THAT i think is a valid feature.

» Fails to see the irony

When I asked if you were 12, it was a rhetorical question.

At no point in this thread have I whined. It's a bad design decision, and I've said so pretty clearly. If the only way you can deal with my opinion is to classify it as whining, then that's your own problem

And yet in this very thread, people have noted the death spam that they see in some servers. If it's taking you longer than a minute or two to respawn, you're doing something wrong.

Did I say it was cheating? Don't put words in my mouth.

Nobody has seen what this change will do to the game, including you, and nobody in the thread is “freaking out.”

I mean, god FORBID someone disagree with a decision Rocket makes. They must be classified as whiners and “Anti-Rocket Alliance” members so that we can ignore their statements!

Nice attempt at a troll. I've been pretty polite to you. In return you've repeatedly made silly assumptions about what kind of player I am.

It's not necessary for you to be a brand new player to see the effect this will have on other brand new players, yet that's essentially what you're implying.

I actually did mix you up with an asshat that was responding earlier. I can admit that I was wrong. I was wrong in that.

Anyway, I didn't put words in your mouth, I asked a question relevant to the discussion. Deathspam can happen and respawns can also be long. I did mention what could quite possibly be the cause to that.

Try not to make your own assumptions about others if you're smart enough to spot other users doing the same thing. I don't belong to any Rocket butt love club but I'd take his word on the impact respawn spamming would have on a server over a random guy on the forum.

People are freaking out. They're acting like the game is completely ruined because they can't kill themselves again and again with the click of a button.

If respawn spam is bogging down the server performance then I'm all for getting rid of the button or putting a 5-10 minute delay on it. I'd rather play without having to deal with yellow or red chains or long load times.

I actually did mix you up with an asshat that was responding earlier. I can admit that I was wrong. I was wrong in that.
Ah, I see now. I was wondering what you were on about.

Much respect. There are plenty of people in this community and elsewhere that wouldn't bother to admit squat.

Anyway, I didn't put words in your mouth, I asked a question relevant to the discussion.
I don't really see how “cheating” with DayzDB maps is relevant to the discussion. My only point was that it was immersion breaking.
Try not to make your own assumptions about others if you're smart enough to spot other users doing the same thing. I don't belong to any Rocket butt love club but I'd take his word on the impact respawn spamming would have on a server over a random guy on the forum.
I never said you belonged to the “Rocket Defense Force”. I haven't actually alluded to your motivations for supporting this change. You accused me of whining, which implies that I'm opposed to this change because it makes the game harder for me.

Actually, it doesn't affect me directly. The reason I don't like it is because there's already an enormous barrier of entry in this game. Yet, once you have a couple bases, you pretty much never lose EVERYTHING as you can in the beginning. Some of the difficulty needs to be shifted to later in the game.

I'm not saying the respawn spam isn't an issue, but disabling the respawn button entirely is not a good solution.

"Oh, looks like it's night time, I'll turn up my brightness and gamma now"

*sudden arm twitch*

*clicks respawn*

"..."

If you really need it, run into a pile of zombies.

Why do people need to cry so much after every change, its being tested....

Besides respawning to get closer to your "buddies" is exploiting the mechanic to gain advantage. It takes like half an hourish to go from the coast to NW airfield, id say roughly the same from West to East along the coast its not as if its a serious hardship people.

That.

And while I do understand this serverload thing, I really don't want to spend 2h to just get back to my guys. Imagine you die in Berezino and spawn in Kamenka. Maybe thats a good experience the 1st 10 times but after playing several 100h, I want to just team up again with my guys.

Taking the example from above: you run to Balota, check the airfield, check the 3 deerstands south run to cherno, check supermarket, church, firestation, those 4 cafes run north to Vysota and then start your run to Berezino. Find a chopper wreck or 2 on your way and then 2h later you are back. That is 2h of boredom after you did it 100 times. Or you just hit respawn until you spawn close to Berezino. And you will have 2h more time to play with your team.

But anyway its alpha, so give it a shot I guess, but I don't think it is a good idea.

One of the reasons rocket did this change was to see if it makes death more meaningful. I think we might see a slight change in the reckless behaviour of people on the coast. Now if you die in Cherno because you were shooting everything that moves you might spawn a long way out and recovering your corpse/getting back to the easy loot spots might not be as easy. Yes it is going to suck if you are separated from your group but that just falls into the same category: you have to be even more careful in the group because if you die, you might spawn at Kamenka.