rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

The only major downside I can think of is that you cant quickly jump out during a hack attack, but that is really it.

Yeah, this would be the only downside if/when this is implemented, and hacking is still rampant (which is likely)... As it stands, my buddies and I have basically agreed that the ONLY time we shall even consider using Alt-F4 is if anything HUGELY suspicious happens. Such as being teleported away to somewhere else, or having someone else teleport on top of us. Other than such extreme situations, we are no wusses. We buckle down and see a firefight to the death!! Or, at least until we can gtfo of there with our lives! haha... Knowing when to retreat is never a wuss move in such survival situations! ;)

Edited by Chameleon

This:

http://dayzmod.com/f...ctivity&mid=199 , (press 'only posts' to the left).

should be mandatory reading before posting here. If people could be bothered to do 5 minutes of research, this thread would be about 6 pages long.

EDIT: Ok, it took a while to get the link right. But seriously, everything is in there.

Want to know why shit is brown?

How old a fox can get in captivity?

How many midgets fit in a phone booth?

The guy knows it all, and shares it! Don't post here, go look!

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 2

Using "anti-cheat" software is the worst way to go about preventing hackers, other than not doing anything at all. Rocket mentioned that the game will go stand-alone eventually, and I think herein is the solution.

The best way to prevent cheating/hacking is to design the game in such a way that such exploits are not possible. This solution is nearly impossible in a mod to an existing game, so don't expect much on this front.

I am just hoping that it is. If rocket or any other developer would explain that this is simply not possible due to engine restrictions etc. then i'd understand. But all i've heard so far is "Battleye is doing a good job" which isn't true, since battleye is not made for dayz nor any other mod, more for arma altogether. Even if it would cater to mods, it would interfere with some mods, causing false-positives on half of them, while it lets hackers freeroam on the other half. This pretty much renders the whole battleye concept useless.

Fact of the matter is: Arma's mods are controlled by hackers, they have more abilities than the player, admin, and even the developers of the mod itself. They can spawn a freakin city on your server if they like.

I've read much about database bans for d/c'ing players...I had a issue last week where my Internet timed out mostly every 5 minutes and after three times I just left my PC... What if I run into provider issues again, is that "player XYZ is loosing connection" also considered d/c'ing? If so, I will have to stop playing and find myself a better provider and that before my contract runs out in three months... I had these problems often and it's annoying, but that does not mean I enjoy a ban for that crap.

Rocket to the rescue, tell me if it's dangerous in the future

is it possible to bind alt f4 to respawn ?

incl. the shut down :D

I was thinking the same thing lol

@Rocket 2 questions/suggestions:

I know you have been actively trying to remove side chat from all servers. My question is why? This doesn't provide an unfair advantage to players on one server over another. If players don't like side chat they can go to a different server. Also, if people are talking in side chat you can turn VON down in the audio options and still hear people that talk to you in direct comms. If anything, I think you should let server hosts decide and see what people like. I know that my home server had side chat enabled and was incredibly popular. They got in trouble and had to remove it, and now the server isn't always full it is usually half full as people moved elsewhere. That server used to be a hotbed of activity mainly because it was noob friendly. They could ask questions while they were learning to play. They could coordinate with each other to meet up and scavenge together. They could even set up things like bus rides from Cherno to Stary Sobor and NW Airfield for noobs. And bandits liked it too because they could attempt to attack the groups as they formed. As a result of being able to communicate before you ran into each other face to face people were much less likely to shoot first as well. I wouldn't want every server to have side chat, but I think this is one thing that could be left up to server admins. I'm sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there as well.

I think some variation in rulesets is nice. First/Third person for instance is a nice bit of diversity. Nameplates, obviously, do need to go. They make sniping way too simple and they also make it too easy to find players. I also think servers shouldn't be able to turn on map markers that allow you to see exactly where you are on the map without a GPS. I think it would be nice if map markers could be made local only as well. Maybe squad/party only when that system is implemented in the standalone game.

My second question is this: would it be possible (I understand not within the mod itself) for BI to update arma 2 to have servers report a little more information when they are queried for refreshing? For instance, it would be absolutely awesome if the query would return the current time for the server. Then six launcher or DayZ Commander could show the current time of the server. This would be great, as it can be very difficult to find servers that are at night and have more than a dozen players in them. I LOVE playing at night in full servers (even though I don't have NVG). It can take forever to find a night server with 20+ players in it, though. Another thing that could be useful would be the time that has elapsed since the last server restart. I'm sure there are more things that can be useful, but right now these are the two things I would love to see before joining a server.

And, finally, I just want to reiterate how much I want players to emit a noise when they first join a server. Any noise would be fine, I like the idea of snoring like they are waking up. I can't tell you how many times I have died to someone logging in shooting me in the ass.

Thanks!

If rocket or any other developer would explain that this is simply not possible due to engine restrictions etc. then i'd understand.

he has Edited by sivart

things i want to see ingame:

camonets to hide my Bus in the Forest,

and may a very very useable idea:

make it possible to put the crowbar to the toolbelt to use it to unflip ATV´s!

• Like 1

removing respawn button is a good thing. if u spawn in kamenka then just deal with it.

lol, that's my favorite spawn

things i want to see ingame:

camonets to hide my Bus in the Forest,

and may a very very useable idea:

make it possible to put the crowbar to the toolbelt to use it to unflip ATV´s!

Camonets would be awesome. They should be super rare, though. Don't need vehicle hoarders being able to hide their stuff too well.

Each time they login and logout of a server, it will be logged. Once we ensure we are not catching false-positives, we will start issuing warnings to players and allow them to check their reputation on the website with the central server. Those that continue to conduct the behavior, will receive database bans.

Are you going to be able to tell the difference between players that log in and log out of servers just to join/check them? I for example have to find a few good servers that work well, I log in and if they're laggy/completely dark I log back out.

Could you please remove barbed wire? It creates crazy graphic bugs everywhere, you can hardly see anything when somebody put down wire. People hardly ever use it for road blocks / ambushes. Most just use it for server hopping anyway.

Why you lock the respawn button? Sounds like a bad idea -.-

Apparently using the respawn button to many times causes problems for the servers. As the respawn button was exploided to get a better spawning position it has been removed

Are you going to be able to tell the difference between players that log in and log out of servers just to join/check them? I for example have to find a few good servers that work well, I log in and if they're laggy/completely dark I log back out.

yes, it will detect the difference between disconnecting via Alt+F4 and regular disconnecting. Check rockets posts if you want the source

Edited by GoTo2k

He said ending your session normally is logged in a different way than alt f4 or network dropping. So, it sounds like changing servers repeatedly and only staying for a few minutes won't affect your hive reputation.

I'm not sure I like this (upcoming, thankfully) crude fix to the Alt+F4 problem. Biggest reason is Arma 2/DayZ tends to randomly do a hard crash on my computer, forcing me to reboot - and if I am reading your plans correctly, this would flag me with a penalty of some kind. I sure don't want to be constantly arguing that I wasn't doing anything wrong with some overworked person who handles manual reviews, or whatever. Again, if I am reading correctly, wouldn't prolonging the character logout time to the MMO standard 20 seconds do the trick? Can't the character be killed and its state be saved into the hive in that time?

They will leave a trail, once we have the algorithms sorted and can issue warnings/punishment... those who continue to do it will receive database level bans,

What about those that server hop to find a stable server, or those that try to find a day server? I myself have a lower end computer, and it lags quite a bit, especially if a server has been restarted in a long time.

What about those that server hop to find a stable server, or those that try to find a day server? I myself have a lower end computer, and it lags quite a bit, especially if a server has been restarted in a long time.

Find a server and stick with it. I have three servers i normaly play in when one isn't updated i play the other. i store the loot in one so i start fresh in the other. the loot stay's there in that server. so when it is updated i can have my stuff back and not lose it in an unfamiliar server. find a server and stick with that one or rent your own server.

I'm not sure I like this (upcoming, thankfully) crude fix to the Alt+F4 problem. Biggest reason is Arma 2/DayZ tends to randomly do a hard crash on my computer, forcing me to reboot - and if I am reading your plans correctly, this would flag me with a penalty of some kind. I sure don't want to be constantly arguing that I wasn't doing anything wrong with some overworked person who handles manual reviews, or whatever. Again, if I am reading correctly, wouldn't prolonging the character logout time to the MMO standard 20 seconds do the trick? Can't the character be killed and its state be saved into the hive in that time?

With the upcoming patch it will only logg the various types of disconnects, there won't be any penalties! With the collected data the dev-team will then try to find a method that works.

Also, once the penalty system is worked in there will be ways to connect with the support team if you got banned because of crashes etc.

So... dont worry! :)

lol, that's my favorite spawn

Some days ago I accidently shot my mate while we were just a little north of berezino.... of course, he spawns in kamenka^^

Edited by GoTo2k

Is it possible to lock the gamma settings via the mod or the server-settings by any chance? Would be nice to be sure that i am not the only one who can't see anything when it's dark.

"once we have the algorithms sorted...."

Edited by daze23

Some days ago I accidently shot my mate while we were just a little north of berezino.... of course, he spawns in kamenka^^

well don't accidentally shoot your mate :)

Firstly, we will do what DayZ always does... we will collect data.

At the same time, initially, login cooldown will be applied (and grow) where you transfer to another server, and cooldown will be applied significantly if you try and reconnect to the same server (with an alive character). Once we have enough data, we will use that to determine algorithms that detect a players behavior over a period of time. This will allow us to then start applying warnings > punishments > database bans; to those players who continue the behavior.

Hey! I said that. >:(