Decaps

Thermal Scope, How OP is it?

A friend and I recently looted a crashed heli and he had picked up a L85 with thermal and holy crap we realized how op it is. I mean if you had a thermal scope with a sniper buddy you could camp anywhere and counter snipe anyone. It seem to completely nullify any none solid cover from any distance which isn't even realistic. So in your experience, how OP is the thermal scope, and how do you beat a thermal scope/sniper combo?

• Like 1

Its not OP. Has a shit Field of View, takes you out of the game and worst of all the gun is almost worthless - piss poor accuracy

Simply with the FN Fal with nightvision. It's a sniper, essentially.

With nightvision as bonus!

Its not OP. Has a shit Field of View, takes you out of the game and worst of all the gun is almost worthless - piss poor accuracy

Using it solo doesn't make it OP, it has the most amazing scouting/spotting properties that's beyond anything else in the game, combined with good communication and a sniper, seems pretty effing OP dude.

• Like 3

Yea I was about 200 meters away from a guy standing still, zeroed it to 200m and shot 5 times directly on at him and missed every single shot lol. Epic gun :D

From my own experience: Works as a Spotter device only - the "gun part" is crap. The real drawback is that you got a minimum 4x zoom which means you got a very limited field of view.

For example: was in the outskirts of a town on a hill - covering some buddys going in. Took 2 Minutes to scan the complete surroundings of the town because i constantly had to reorient myself and also because i was covering so little area because the zoom is so large. For a Device with ~1% chance at heli crash site only spawn balanced.

Short: is powerfull but in the current version not overpowered. Can only be used in a similar style as "thermal" Binoculars. (Bineculars have a better field of view even) Takes 10 Slots of space for a weapon you will never want to fire.

• Like 2

It's pretty useless as a weapon on it's own, it's a team gun or a 2nd primary. It's very hard to use it to spot things at close or medium range because of the low FOV seeing as it's so zoomed in. You need crosshairs enabled or you're gimped. The weapon can zero to 800m, but seeing as it fires 5.56 like the M16, you'll need like 6 body shots at that range for a kill. With the forward hand grip it has lower recoil though and it's pretty accurate but its not a practical weapon for sniping on its own.

However, as a spotter for a sniper or a 2ndry weapon for a lone sniper it's absolutely trolling. You can spot targets through fog out to the draw distance. So if you've got a long range view that a sniper would usually have you can pinpoint a player very easilly. It's just varying shades of red and then a player or zombie or animal stands out as bright white. You can see it's a player if he dosen't move like a zombie / has a backpack on. Coupled with that, it can flick to night vision and even has a laser which only shows up at night so you could mark a target in the darkness for your whole team to see if they had NVG.

So in a team or spotting from far = Ridiculously OP and seems pretty out of place in this "game". But then no one said this "game" had to be balanced, in fact that's the idea of it I guess. L85 spotter with laser range finder goggles + AS50 sniper + M4 silenced "guarding" their back = unbeatable sniper team.

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 1

We have an L85 on our team and we use it to constantly scan the horizon and treelines.

It's extremely OP when it comes to reconnaissance of areas, especially around the towns as it can see people proned at 1000m ranges. Some trees and bushes will provide cover, but only if they are directly between the person with the L85 and the person being scouted.

In our experience the L85 is an invaluable tool for keeping the group safe and for allowing extremely simple counter sniping before entering contested areas. So badly in fact, it should be removed from game (at least the thermal scope).

Pretty sure there is a reason why AS50 TSW is not ingame, so why should the thermal scope variant of the L85 be? Swap it out for L85 with ACOG.

• Like 4

I have no problems taking shots up to 500, can hit centre mass 60% of the time at that range

It's an assault rifle with a godly sniper scope... Not a Sniper Rifle.

It's also useless in urban area's

Though I would like the L85 with the SUSAT sight

Edited by DesertRose

Gamebreaking OP. Scan with thermal, switch to AS50.

I have no problems taking shots up to 500, can hit centre mass 80% of the time at that range

It's an assault rifle with a sniper scope essentially... Not a Sniper Rifle.

Anyone can hit that, real trouble starts when you want to kill somebody

So in a team or spotting from far = Ridiculously OP and seems pretty out of place in this "game". But then no one said this "game" had to be balanced, in fact that's the idea of it I guess. L85 spotter with laser range finder goggles + AS50 sniper + M4 silenced "guarding" their back = unbeatable sniper team.

Please dont make this "game" sound like wow arena xD

Anyone can hit that, real trouble starts when you want to kill somebody

Effective range is 300m

Your going to lose half of your stopping power at anything greater than that.

Accuracy is not the problem, it's the damage at range... Thats what you get for a 5.56 round.

Effective range is 300m

Your going to lose half of your stopping power at anything greater than that.

Accuracy is not the problem, it's the damage at range... Thats what you get for a 5.56 round.

Thats no what I mean its easy to kill stuff at that range in an Armory or a lag free server, but DayZ lags too much to be certain you can kill at over 300m

Thats no what I mean its easy to kill stuff at that range in an Armory or a lag free server, but DayZ lags too much to be certain you can kill at over 300m

I have no issues with lag playing on a US sever when I live in the UK.

Except that one time me and a freind shot one guy like 15 times each with a sniper rifle.... That was just ridiculous.

But that was player specific, Had no trouble shooting his friend with one shot to the neck.

Edited by DesertRose

My group is around 10 people-ish, and we always have at least 3 people using an AWS at all times.

Yea I was about 200 meters away from a guy standing still, zeroed it to 200m and shot 5 times directly on at him and missed every single shot lol. Epic gun :D

Well, no wonder I didn't hit the broad side of a barn at 600m with that rifle. Literally, there was a guy next to a barn at around 600m and he didn't even notice me shooting at him.

Please dont make this "game" sound like wow arena xD

What lol.

Another issue is it kind of makes you have "tunnel vision" because of having such a long zoom so make sure to look behind you a lot or have a team mate guard you. I got the one I had before sneaking up behind 2 clowns who had L85's overwatching Elektro.

Wouldn't be too upset if it just stopped spawning in the game. At this stage however, they shouldn't outright "remove it" people spent ages trying to loot that stuff -- The numbers will whittle down eventually.

Despite the minor limitations, you're able to spot people in a 360 radius out to the draw distance of the map. Even if they're behind a bush you can probably spot a bright white glowing foot. No one can sit there and say "that's not OP". Weapons don't need to be "fair" and "super balanced" but don't sit there lying out your asses pretending the scope isn't ridiculous :P

Edited by itputsthelotion

Simply with the FN Fal with nightvision. It's a sniper, essentially.

With nightvision as bonus!

DMR with nightvision is better....tbh

as OP as being able to see heat signatures is. To be honest though, if the person has isn't just walking around with it stuck to his eye, and has the forethought to lay in a position to actually catch you in a thermal sweep, chances are you would be dead even if he had a marakov. Its not for scrubs.

tldr= People who know how to use it, will smash.

You morons use it as a sniper rifle when it is not, its the best scouting tool there is, ammo is plentyful so you can shoot at zombies no problem without worry of never finding ammo again. A lot of players use the M4A3 or M16 variants and those guns are pretty good.

When you know where someone is and that person doesnt know you are there, you have the greatest advantage ever; initiative. Then its up to you to decide how you will kill that person, either by flanking, coming from behind or trying to snipe him. All you have to do is come close enough to unload a full mag and its good game.

How can some people say its bad is beyond me.

Bad players using the point and clic tactic with sniper rifles doesn't require much skills.

Edited by daedrick
  • Like 2

Swap it out for L85 with ACOG.

You mean SUSAT? Then we have an accurate version of the weapon.

Its funny because IRL this is one of the most accurate assalt rifles about. Never used one but someone in my community has one.

Edited by ruarz