oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

You do realize that unless Bohemia is the "developer" in a full Day Z release, Rocket will have to license the use of Chenarus AS WELL AS the engine. That map doesnt come with the engine. And engine is an engine. The Chenarus map is IP of Bohemia. Going standalone means getting permission to use that map, OR building a new one.

Rocket is an employer of BI, he made enough money for Bohemia, now that ArmA 2 is a best seller on steam and in other places cause of his mod.

Hulahuga: Game engines tend to use specific programming language, scriping language and even modelling/animation rendering, you can't just go around changing engines in the middle of development. Even in web development you're first thing before doing anything is to choose a CMS or Framework before starting the coding process, and you simply can't just go around jumping from WordPress to Joomla even when both uses PHP language. Also what Timmooboy said CE3 could be good for block size loading, but there's so much "realistic" feature that the RV engine has, that it easily owns CE3. Yeah it's old and CPU heavy, but check out the RV4 engine demos (where the mod has already been ported successfully, so it is going to be using that possibly after an ArmA3 release), and you'll see that it is owning CE3 engine big time.

All in all you could make a cheap copy of DayZ prototype it reasonably fast in CE3 but you'd have nothing that makes it DayZ, no real-time lip sync, no changing 1st/3rd person camera, no persistent character. You'd have a map, zombies and Deathmatch, you could not interact with the world like now. And also, you would not have any realism, you'd have to program all these in the game and convert/recode the current code into CE3 acceptable and that simply would take years for Rocket to make. And in the end you would have an even buggier game in say 2 years from now then it is now. Does it worth it? no.

Edited by Tusk
  • Like 1

I totally agree with you Tusk.

I mean, all these subtle things like bullets ejecting from the barrel and no "cone of fire" is very important for me to feel immersed in a game that tries to reflect "reality". And I'm pretty sure the people in here really have no idéa what RV3/4 is capable of and is doing right Now.

I do like the CryEngine, Crysis 1 was actually the game that got me into pc-gaming, but with using this engine you get so much more than just fancy graphics, physics etc.

But don't get me wrong. Every Arma player out there knows how buggy and unfriendly this engine can be, but there's really nothing like it out on the market so we look past these things. And BI's is one of the best developers I know of that really listen to their community. So I think we should all just wait and see what Rocket think is the best option for DayZ. After all, only he knows (to some extent) where he wants to take this game and I'm sure he will make the right call!

Edited by Timmooboy
  • Like 1

Chernarus is 225 square KM, which is essentially 15x15km. The closest thing Cryengine 3 can do is 16x16km, so we're looking at 256 square km. Slightly bigger, but (IMO) it would be an island, so the land-mass would be about the same. Right off the bat we've got a memory load of 853mb (or more) - this is WITHOUT any actual terrain, assets, or anything.

Arma is capable to fire up maps with more thousands of square kilometers. chernarus is an old map filled with unenterable buildings.

AO changed the building problems (all enterable and destroyable) and modders build much bigger maps then chernarus.

All you need are good mappers to build a bigger map for dayz, and arma3 buildings because most of the ao buildings wont fit in european area. (but there are already mods with buildings, maybe useful. so you can build such a map with the current arma2)

Just had a quick view into armaholic, there are 180kmx180km maps that are 32400 km² for example, try that with cryengine then come back.

Edited by Smithy

Messed up controls? What's wrong with them.

Personally I'd love to see this on the crytek engines. Woodland in Arma is a bit shitty, it provides no real cover for either you or your tents.

Spotting people at distance is hilarious because items just don't render. Crytek would be perfect for solving many issues but it won't happen :-(

Personally I'd love to see this on the crytek engines. Woodland in Arma is a bit shitty, it provides no real cover for either you or your tents.

Spotting people at distance is hilarious because items just don't render. Crytek would be perfect for solving many issues but it won't happen :-(

If Crytek would make a zombie survival game then you would not be playing a game anything near resembling DayZ.....

*Ooo shinyyy graphixxx, must be best engine in whole wooorld!!!!*

-.-

Edited by Timmooboy
  • Like 1

I myself would like to see it on the fallout engine. In my humble opinion its perfect for survival right? Just implement some online features.

Crytek would be perfect for solving many issues but it won't happen :-(

Read exactly 2 comments above what you wrote. But since you must be lazy as hell, the important part is this: "All in all you could make a cheap copy of DayZ prototype it reasonably fast in CE3 but you'd have nothing that makes it DayZ, no real-time lip sync, no changing 1st/3rd person camera, no persistent character. You'd have a map, zombies and Deathmatch, you could not interact with the world like now. And also, you would not have any realism, you'd have to program all these in the game and convert/recode the current code into CE3 acceptable and that simply would take years for Rocket to make. And in the end you would have an even buggier game in say 2 years from now then it is now. Does it worth it? no."

Atm there are no bushes and fallen trees in the woods, nothing a mapper couldnt solve

fuck cryengine 3. im looking forward to the euclideon engine or whatever they decide to call it when it comes out. Fuck Yea!

fuck cryengine 3. im looking forward to the euclideon engine or whatever they decide to call it when it comes out. Fuck Yea!

Well, good luck waiting forever then! :)

There is an engine that seems very promising tho. The "Outerra Engine". It's still just in alpha but man, it's freaking amazing.

If you want to support them it will only cost you like 15 bucks! :)

This has been talked about for years on the BI forums.... and It can't be done.

Try and load the environments full of AI that ArmA (RV engine) does with any other engine and watch it fall over or only super rich kids have the hardware to run it...

Kids just fail to understand or take the time to think about it....

so... NO it is not possible.

Edited by i76
  • Like 1

Well, possible if you rewrite those engines maybe, but then you would still get a engine more like RV then the others ^^

I'd love to be involved as a level design if this uses CE3, I've got tons of experience with both CE2 and CE3 (SDK + C2 MSDK). Of course CE3 and CE2 use lua where as ArmA uses a custom language.

I thought about suggestion CE3 as an engine but I couldn't really come up with a well argumented thread for it.

What really maters and what will really make DayZ possible on CE3 is Cry-Mono:

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=91801

This will also help speed the dev process up:

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=92089

Cry-blend is a great tool to have as well, it's popular but i've never used it (I've used the maya plugin)

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=91281

Here's some documentation

http://freesdk.crydev.net/dashboard.action

And here's the wiki

http://www.crydev.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

• Like 1

Some people seem to know what they are doing and talking about. Group together, and get working on this, only then can you say it will or will not work, and show up the opposing side.

If CryZ was made, I'd play it for sure. Even if it was at medium settings, it would be so much more impressive, especially with such terrain variation. Imagine mountains in DayZ, or a desert or... well... anything. You could set up camp in the mountains, but need warm clothes to survive up there so its semi-protected from noobs stumbling upon it etc.

• Like 1

If CryZ was made, I'd play it for sure. Even if it was at medium settings, it would be so much more impressive, especially with such terrain variation. Imagine mountains in DayZ, or a desert or... well... anything. You could set up camp in the mountains, but need warm clothes to survive up there so its semi-protected from noobs stumbling upon it etc.

Wooow, mountains in CryEngine!?!? Holy shiiiiiit..... Or a desert :o That's definitely something RV can't do... Hey Rocket, did you hear? You should port it to CE3 right naows!!!! :)

Edited by Timmooboy
  • Like 1

Rocket is an employer of BI, he made enough money for Bohemia, now that ArmA 2 is a best seller on steam and in other places cause of his mod.

Hulahuga: Game engines tend to use specific programming language, scriping language and even modelling/animation rendering, you can't just go around changing engines in the middle of development. Even in web development you're first thing before doing anything is to choose a CMS or Framework before starting the coding process, and you simply can't just go around jumping from WordPress to Joomla even when both uses PHP language. Also what Timmooboy said CE3 could be good for block size loading, but there's so much "realistic" feature that the RV engine has, that it easily owns CE3. Yeah it's old and CPU heavy, but check out the RV4 engine demos (where the mod has already been ported successfully, so it is going to be using that possibly after an ArmA3 release), and you'll see that it is owning CE3 engine big time.

All in all you could make a cheap copy of DayZ prototype it reasonably fast in CE3 but you'd have nothing that makes it DayZ, no real-time lip sync, no changing 1st/3rd person camera, no persistent character. You'd have a map, zombies and Deathmatch, you could not interact with the world like now. And also, you would not have any realism, you'd have to program all these in the game and convert/recode the current code into CE3 acceptable and that simply would take years for Rocket to make. And in the end you would have an even buggier game in say 2 years from now then it is now. Does it worth it? no.

Yeah, of course you'll have to re-script some things that are dependent and specialized code, but lots of otherthings you don't, and the things that you do you can just basically copy to a high degree.

Lip-sync, 1st/3rd person AND a persistent character are all in the CE3 or are very easy to do (I know how) so I don't know what you are talking about.

Also map interaction and immersion in my meaning is a lot better in CE3, generally.

The only real issue I find with cry is that you would probably have to build in stuff like a bit better ballistics...

Desert you say...

I have a surprise for you:

It's so expensive, that's the only downside. Unreal Engine 4 would be just as good (if not better) but again, costly.

I say Rocket should forget Arma and team up with the makers of Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Mod. Now talk about beauty!

Yeah, that's gonna happen.....

Rocket, please please please would you be so kind and share your views about these different engines? :) I'm really interested in what would be the best option for DayZ!

Ehm, maybe you guys slipped past the following post:

http://dayzmod.com/f...160#entry417462

That post is pretty correct. Moving to CE3 or UDK/UE3 would be difficult but very manageable. Since I've actually worked with the CE3's Flowgraph editor I can say that it is the most simple thing on earth and it speeds up the dev process insanely. Of course with either engine for a game like DayZ you would need to completely re-code a networking system; in CE3 there is a networking system built into the engine. CE3 can, as well, be run simultaneously on all 3 major platforms while being edited and worked on in the SDK/engine, it is also updated in real time.

Oh and like he says large maps are easily created, you'll just need enough ram to generate all 225Km; he'll i've even made an insanely large map on CE2.

ive gotten bad framerate in arma2 on 3 generations of computers so far, im starting to consider switching out my graphics card soon and i have no doubt the framerate wont improve, it actually got worse when i reluctantly started to decrease some graphics options, so i would welcome a new engine with open arms.