oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

Why not go with the Source engine from Valve?

DayZ could be a L4D2 mod.

The game already comes with all the basic things you need like zombies, guns, medpacks, painkillers and so on.

seriously?? i love valve/source too but really?? Edited by Bezki

You earned my beans solely for the length of your post and the dedication put into it. Everything else just strengthened my want to give beans. You seem to have thought out nearly all factors pertaining to switching engines, and based on what you've said, I'm confident that they could turn it into a standalone by February (mind you it'd probably be in alpha/beta).

do you want killstreaks added to your killcam. wtf. good luck making 225 squarekilometer terrain with the ce3.

CE3 can handle maps much larger than 225km squared.

Uhm... Yeah, I just want to add one thing, what about those who never will be able to run a graphicenchanced game like Crysis?

The graphics is a huge problem for lots of my friends, I think in the standalone there would be better if lowest looked like CS 1.6.

And extreme looked like Crysis at Extreme.

Uhm... Yeah, I just want to add one thing, what about those who never will be able to run a graphicenchanced game like Crysis?

The graphics is a huge problem for lots of my friends, I think in the standalone there would be better if lowest looked like CS 1.6.

Sooo... CryEngine3 then? CE3 is really only super demanding on the Ultra/Extreme preset. If playing on medium/high most gaming based computers can run it just fine.

Im afraid its easier for you to obtain newer graphics card than for Rocket to optimize the game so much it would run like 14 years old game.

• Like 3

Im afraid its easier for you to obtain newer graphics card than for Rocket to optimize the game so much it would run like 14 years old game.

Beans, sir. You can have them.

I really don't understand that people are actually worried that they won't be able to run a standalone DayZ made with CE3. My current laptop can run Crysis 2 with no problem, given that I don't set the video configurations so high. It offers me a smooth gameplay. When I try to play DayZ, I can't even go in the cities and try to find some gear and even if I did I wouldn't be able to shoot zeds, because they are moving too fast than I can aim (because of huge lag problems). RV3 might be the worst optimized engine I have ever seen. CE3 on the other hand, runs perfect.

I have read the entire thread, and watched most of the videos and I think that if someone who has commitment (namely Rocket) will be able to make the game in CE3. The engine has gorgeous visuals, better optimization, better hitboxes and it proved itself, being the chosen engine for so many games. It is quite possible to create tense environments, just watch the video from Undead Labs.

Edit: ARMA 3 looks beautiful too, but from what I have read it is basicly an improved version of RV3, which means it is gonna have huge optimization problems like RV3.

Edited by onguntoglu

How many times (in RL) have you left your room/house strafing? If you want to "make sure there are nobody outside" walk out straight and use Freelook.

OMG. How many times (in RL) have you expected to be shot at when leaving your house?

Just : LOL ! You made my day !

Just so you know, strafing out of a house can prepare yourself to a possible fight, if there is a zombie/player just right behind the angle of the door, you're able to instantly shoot. If you want to do what you say, well do it, but you will get out, free look, and if there is a player, you'll have to unhold your key to freelook, double tap to zoom (depending on the weapon you have, if you've a melee one forget this), aim and shot. In the meantime you've been killed. Not to mention the gameplay is really rigid, it's not all smooth.

Strafing would allow you to quick check and fire if needed really fast. But you can't, you're stuck there if you try to do so. The engine has some real problem at some points. (the collisions are a HUGE problem, everywhere)

Imo Cryengine3 is the way forward and the obvious choice but Rocket wont do it, hes already stated that he will use the Arma2 engine. Maybe he feels awkard if he ditched BIS after all the history or perhaps they have offered him support in making DayZ standalone, where as on his own it would be more difficult.

Check this one out. The lighthouse, the beach setting, even the small coast villages reminded me of DayZ, plus the background forest.

Check this one out. The lighthouse, the beach setting, even the small coast villages reminded me of DayZ, plus the background forest.

Sooooooooooo beautiful! I can't even imagine how immersive this game would be on that engine.

Even though i despise EA i support this idea.

Crytek is still Independent. EA just publishes their game(s). Edited by Bezki

Crytek is still Independent. EA just publishes their game(s).

I did not realize this cool, learn something every day!

you know, arma 2 engine is kind of old, and the arma 3 engine is way better, giving the same advantages as the arma 2 engine

the good thing about the arma engines is that they are build for realism, not for action packed war games with people being able to take 15 bullets without dieing

arma 2 engine has:

-grass concealment (even if the grass isnt drawn)

-an advanced body damage system (you normally wouldn't die from your big toe shot off, though the dayZ *blood* works in another way)

-realistic bullet travel time and drop

-movement restrictions (when having a large gun in a small room)

-no stupid stuff like jumping around randomly

your cryengine 3 is made towards fast paced action shooters with good physics and spectacular graphics, where death is not a big penalty, i doubt they'd have something like grass concealment or proper concealment at all

you know, arma 2 engine is kind of old, and the arma 3 engine is way better, giving the same advantages as the arma 2 engine

the good thing about the arma engines is that they are build for realism, not for action packed war games with people being able to take 15 bullets without dieing

arma 2 engine has:

-an advanced body damage system (you normally wouldn't die from your big toe shot off, though the dayZ *blood* works in another way)

your cryengine 3 is made towards fast paced action shooters with good physics and spectacular graphics, where death is not a big penalty, i doubt they'd have something like grass concealment or proper concealment at all

All of that can be done in just about any other engine there is.

Edited by FlesHBoX

arma 2 engine has:

Do not get me wrong, I am not a fanboy of CE3 or UDK, but from what I have read, it is fairly safe to say that CE3 is very versatile, as there are many different genres made with CE3. It also allows the devs to create and/or implement whatever they want. Yes, CE3 is made famous with Crysis 2, which is a fast-paced not-so-realistic shooter.

About the features list you said ARMA 2 engine has:

You could easily code the bleeding in, as well as stamina, temparature, hunger, thirst, line-of-sight, hearing distance and level and other possible basic needs.

CE3 does have bullet drop and other possible bullet properties. An evidence for this is that there is a game, scheduled for August 2012, which basicly evolves around being a sniper. (The game is Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2)

Movement restrictions are a joke. If you think that that should be implemented, because you think it is quite possible to get struck in a room because you have a large gun, well, I don't get it. There is just no way that someone would be stuck in a room, because they didn't lower their gun. It just don't get it.

Remember BF2? People used to do all these crazy stuff, bunny hopping, etc. Ever played PR? You had to pay a great portion of stamina to jump, which people avoided at all cost. By the way, if I am not mistaken, you can't jump in DayZ (Am I mistaken?). Just disable jumping in CE3, and you will be fine.

I didn't get what you meant by grass concealment. Care to explain a bit further?

• Like 1

Edit: ARMA 3 looks beautiful too, but from what I have read it is basicly an improved version of RV3, which means it is gonna have huge optimization problems like RV3

why on earth would it mean any such thing?

Crysis was made on an engine so poorly optimised that framerates practically have an upper bound. Despite being only an updated engine, Crysis 2 fixed that.

Why is this topic still going?

Oh yeah, gamers love talking about stuff they know nothing about :D

• Like 2

arma 2 engine has:

The fact would be that Rocket would still be modding someone else's game. He would still have great difficulty implementing certain changes or wouldn't be able to make them at all, ontop of the fact that Bohemia would still be raking in all the profits from his work while he would be left with zip.

In addition, for all we know Arma III will be moddable to an even lesser extent than Arma II is.

It makes more sense for Rocket to move onto a standalone game with the Day Z concept; sure there is a lot of work involved, but it will pay off eventually, whereas modding will never pay off (unless you end up being one of those lucky modders who gets hired for their skill or their work gets bought out, which I have only heard of happening to source modders since Valve are pretty cool dudes).

UDK is his best bet IMO, since it is the most accessible engine available for use by indie developers (Epic Games provides great support, and you only have to look at games like Arkham City, Gears of War or Bioshock 2 to see what its capable of).

Edited by Strogg