Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

"But after about 24 hours of game play"

I stopped reading here. This mod, and probably the game, is not for you. Move along. If you haven't had fun in the first 24 hours, you aren't ever likely to have fun.

EDIT: Over 1 month of play, averaging that down to say 25 days at 6 hours a piece, that's well over 150 hours. I'd have to say I love this mod, and I can overlook the bugs and general glitchiness due to both the engine not really supporting a mod like this and it being in Alpha. Still great to me. Don't like the mod? Find a different game.

Edited by Zeromentor

Your reasons are subjective opinion. I disagree with all the points you make. Don't mistake opinion for fact :)

Also who are you to say how long the mod should be in Alpha.

You clearly aren't enjoying playing unlike the thousands of us that are.

For the most part the mod is fine, plenty of bugs but what else would you expect from an alpha mod.

Need attention? You think you pathetic QQ post will reach anything? Did you pay for the MOD? No! Get lost.

Oh yea, do I have to post a wiki-acticle about software in alpha-stage? Well forget it.... pretty elaborate troll?

Some people come and play dayz because it's a zombie survival game. Most people come and play dayz because they heard when you die you are fucked and it's all over, which is unique. Hence 1.38gazillion people flocking from other games to try it out. Most dying horribly and loving it.

Death being the end isn't actually unique. It may be quite rare in graphics heavy titles, yes, but it is nothing new. If that's a feature that draws you, give a shot at one of the many dozens of roguelikes out there. I have been a long time roguelike fanatic, so the perm-death feature here was a BIG sell for me. Angband, Nethack, ADOM and TOME are good starters. I'd include DwarfFortress as well, though it isn't purely a roguelike. There are some even more "modern" roguelikes than TOME (Tales of Maj'Eyal) has become, Dungeons of Dredmor for example is quite good, had fantastic graphics and mouse driven interface, and isn't scared to kick your dick off and laugh in your face. Even Diablo 2 (the Diablo series was originally inspired by roguelikes with it's randomly generated dungeon content) had a permadeath feature (hardcore mode). Not to take away from your point, just sharing an often overlooked genre that may interest you if you're a fan of permadeath.

Seems to me that your moaning because you can't find vehicles and walking the map bores you. Maybe find a new game kidda :)

• Like 1

Having worked in QA in "the industry" in both Alpha and Pre-Alpha this is the best Alpha I have ever played... full stop.

Of course there are going to be mobs clipping through walls, doors ceilings - getting killed by scenery and also unfair and maybe imbalanced items or changes added that people will feel are just adding to the already player on player killing shenanigans.... but wait a minute whats that at the top of dayzmod.com "Download Alpha" - please remember this...its an Alpha of what probably is going to be a genre defining game when it becomes a stand alone... so rather than being bored becasue you cant find a vehicle or get caught up in some barbed wire... 600,00+ people are not wrong and neither are the average of 150,000+ playing each day.

I agree each persons perception of a game is different and you take away from your experience what you will - personally this is a job well done for a tiny team

The only things that piss me off so far are cheaters and how terrible it is running inside a building.

Alpha dumbass...go back you to whatever been done a thousand times before game you were playing...and stfu

How come only the threads with flaming titles always get the most responses, when most people just complain about the flaming?

I agree with most of the problems Op except that I don't blame Rocket or his interviews for the lack of progress in the mod. Perhaps Rocket has made some misteps along the way, but I think it would be fair to keep things in perspective: that he is a military vet who built a user database in an attempt to simulate some of his experiences for others as a sort of experiment. Popularity of the mod has brought its demise as numerous security and population stresses have pulled any feature development resources away from the exciting areas of modding in an effort to keep it barely running (certainly no small task when compared to most major titles on the market).

Hopefully things will turn around soon, until then just try to survive alpha.

It was alright until. 5 and 6. Stop bitching about the map size and about the game. First off ARMA is the closest thing to a Military Sim on the market with some mods its even better. Now about the map, you want to have a tiny map the size of the south shore? We encounter problems with the current map being too small to develop territories. Rule 1 about maps: Bigger is better.

I think the map could stand to be a bit larger. It only took my friend and I 10 hours or so of slow and meticulous town hopping to get from Elektro to NW Airfield (have been playing for a month and this is my first time to visit). We, and a few other friends, had some really great experiences that will last a long time. And we're still alive, but who knows when that bullet with my name on it will leave the barrel. Or maybe I'll fall off a ladder? Not knowing, and being paranoid, is exciting.

I think if you kill someone on the far edge of the map, there should be absolutely NO concern of them being able to run back to you to counter-attack. It should take hours at a full sprint.

keep telling you man, it's not being designed as a game, but you keep ignoring me:

intention is to generate emotions, with frustration high on the list:

http://dayzmod.com/f...t__20#entry6115

system allows you to play and experiment and will result in cruel, horrifically unbalanced situations, player behavior won't ever be regulated:

http://dayzmod.com/f...__180#entry4344

impossibly cruel, dark, brutal, an antigame not designed to be balanced:

http://dayzmod.com/f...__180#entry4308

mod about art, your story:

http://dayzmod.com/f...t__20#entry2785

i don't think this mod is for you ultimately because you're looking for things that aren't intended to be in here.

The funny part to him wanting human emotion like anger and shit, it doesnt come from the events that happen in the game. It comes from all the bugs the game creates. People get mad because when they do everything right shit still goes wrong. Things people CANT control like bugs and glitches. Spending 8 real hours running from town to town full of houses that cannot be looted but still has shitloads of zombies everywhere with bugged aggro ranges.

It's the irl time spent, it's the people who alt F4, the admins that kick players and password their servers to get all the best gear and jump to other hive servers, it's the shooting zombies and players with 12k damage weapons 10+ times watching blood fly everywhere and watching that same zombie that would only take 1k blood on someone else break your leg, send you into a 5 minute wait period and drop you to 2k blood, Or that same player you put down relog back in 5 minutes later with full blood spawn in behind your crew and mow down everyone

AKA: 2 people do the same exact thing, 1 person dies and the other doesn't.

The other day i was running with 3 friends(knoob and hunter from these forums) and all of the sudden i just DIED. Running on a road in the middle of nowhere i literally died with full blood, no sickness, full water/food. Respawned with max blood into "shock" where the timer literally took 5 whole minutes to go down, and before i could hit respawn it put me back into shock for the full 5 minutes again until i ran out of blood. All of which i couldn't push ESC to respawn and restarting the game put me right back where i started all while they were watching my stuff on the ground. Nobody shot me, nothing. I get back to my body after 40 minutes of running and 1/2 of my shit is missing. Everything in my backpack went poof, 20 slot backpack full of med supplies and a m16 went poof.

So either the admin console killed me(he kept kicking my friends every 5 minutes at random) because before this happened he shot me once with a FAL and i went down to 2k blood into shock and my friends killed him and took all his stuff and revived me, or the game is buggy as shit.

That's where the anger and frustration comes, i could care less about other people killing me that's part of the game. It's the abusers, the glitchers, the bugs all weighed up against the amount of time spent to accomplish anything getting completely thrown into the wind by shit out of your control. All of these bugs and problems would mean nothing if it didn't take 10+ hours to accomplish the smallest shit.

Edited by -Omerta-

I mostly agree on the zombie part. They are kinda lame. At least make them run indoors, or be faster and be able to wing you while you're running and not just stop and swing. But maybe the the engine limits that, who knows. Zombie threat needs to increase a whole lot. I think Rocket will come up with something, he's not an idiot.

It isnt the fact that we who dont like the way the game is heading cant take a differing opinion. It is the fact that unless we drop to our knees and worship Rocket and DayZ we apparently cant express our opinions. Alpha is the most common excuse, which would be fine if the foundation of the game was fixed. E.g Zombie A.I, inventory being fixed, loot being balanced (Pistols everywhere!), and more emphasis on killing zombies. These however are still extremely buggy yet we are recieving updates that assume they work correctly. It astounds me that the forum community useally does nothing but worship Rocket like a god. Part of reason I dont visit the forums often. Also remember how 1.7.2 was delayed because Rocket wanted to go to Rezzed and show it off first. We NEEDED that update but was delayed because Rocket wanted more attention.

I would Like to have the ability to phase through doors and walls. Zombies seem to get that power and I think humans should too.

TROLOLOLOLOL some faggot crying about a broken alpha.

I wish someone would close this shitty thread.

[Lololo, I wish someone would warn you for being a [redacted]. Oh wait, I did! - Ubi]

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy

The funny part to him wanting human emotion like anger and shit, it doesnt come from the events that happen in the game. It comes from all the bugs the game creates. People get mad because when they do everything right shit still goes wrong. Things people CANT control like bugs and glitches. Spending 8 real hours running from town to town full of houses that cannot be looted but still has shitloads of zombies everywhere with bugged aggro ranges.

It's the irl time spent, it's the people who alt F4, the admins that kick players and password their servers to get all the best gear and jump to other hive servers, it's the shooting zombies and players with 12k damage weapons 10+ times watching blood fly everywhere and watching that same zombie that would only take 1k blood on someone else break your leg, send you into a 5 minute wait period and drop you to 2k blood, Or that same player you put down relog back in 5 minutes later with full blood spawn in behind your crew and mow down everyone

AKA: 2 people do the same exact thing, 1 person dies and the other doesn't.

The other day i was running with 3 friends(knoob and hunter from these forums) and all of the sudden i just DIED. Running on a road in the middle of nowhere i literally died with full blood, no sickness, full water/food. Respawned with max blood into "shock" where the timer literally took 5 whole minutes to go down, and before i could hit respawn it put me back into shock for the full 5 minutes again until i ran out of blood. All of which i couldn't push ESC to respawn and restarting the game put me right back where i started all while they were watching my stuff on the ground. Nobody shot me, nothing. I get back to my body after 40 minutes of running and 1/2 of my shit is missing. Everything in my backpack went poof, 20 slot backpack full of med supplies and a m16 went poof.

So either the admin console killed me(he kept kicking my friends every 5 minutes at random) because before this happened he shot me once with a FAL and i went down to 2k blood into shock and my friends killed him and took all his stuff and revived me, or the game is buggy as shit.

That's where the anger and frustration comes, i could care less about other people killing me that's part of the game. It's the abusers, the glitchers, the bugs all weighed up against the amount of time spent to accomplish anything getting completely thrown into the wind by shit out of your control. All of these bugs and problems would mean nothing if it didn't take 10+ hours to accomplish the smallest shit.

i don't think the leg breaking and one hit ko's are glitches, i think they're part of the game and part of the brutal, unfair, authentic stuff. i also don't think the aggro ranges are bugged, at least from my experience, it's just much more visually based. if you stay out in the open standing up while moving, while a zombie is facing your direction, eventually you'll get seen. if you stay pinned to the side of a building prone without moving the chance of being detected decreases significantly, but is still there. however, i've spent a good deal of my post update time playing on night/dusk servers, so that skews my perspective (MUCH easier to sneak at night than during the day now). i could be wrong though.

i really really hate to parrot this regarding the rest of your post, but it is an alpha (i feel dirty), and a mod, and we are testers and we need to keep that in mind. it's better to have all this shit happen now and get locked down while we're playing for free than to have it happen post release when we've possibly paid for it. just gotta have patience in the meantime and find what enjoyment we can. if you can't find enjoyment, then i'd wait till things get ironed out to play. plenty of other things to do out there, it is summer after all.

It isnt the fact that we who dont like the way the game is heading cant take a differing opinion. It is the fact that unless we drop to our knees and worship Rocket and DayZ we apparently cant express our opinions. Alpha is the most common excuse, which would be fine if the foundation of the game was fixed. E.g Zombie A.I, inventory being fixed, loot being balanced (Pistols everywhere!), and more emphasis on killing zombies. These however are still extremely buggy yet we are recieving updates that assume they work correctly. It astounds me that the forum community useally does nothing but worship Rocket like a god. Part of reason I dont visit the forums often. Also remember how 1.7.2 was delayed because Rocket wanted to go to Rezzed and show it off first. We NEEDED that update but was delayed because Rocket wanted more attention.

i have no problem with people expressing differing opinions, so long as they're informed. a good deal of complaints are about things that dayz wasn't meant to be about or address from its beginning (it may change direction though, who knows). examples of this are pvp complaints, zombies not being the primary threat, balance, and other things that try to skew it towards the safe, controlled, hand holding quest type end game stuff where everyone gets a trophy that pretty much every game adheres to today. i put time into the sticky in the hopes of diminishing these things and making that info more available.

Edited by p1n34l

Maybe I've learned to cope but I don't know what bugs you are talking about.

I have never been killed by opening a door.

In previous versions the leg breaking was insane, agreed, but I have only had one broken leg in 1.7.2.3, and that was from a zombie. And having been hit several times with no breaking legs, I figure that it was about time it happened.

I only lost equipment once, and that was my camo when the last update was bugged.

I've never been hacked, died randomly, or been teleported. Maybe hackers don't frequent the many servers I have played on (I try to play only on 3DP:OFF and CH:OFF servers, 3DP is lame for this genre IMHO, but that's for another thread)

In the current patch, I have never been hit by a zombie through a wall.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the loot system currently. It seems to be working fine. No bugginess there. If you enter several buildings and they are shy on stuff, then you are probably following behind someone who has already gotten to it. I don't see "pistols laying around everywhere".

To be fair, I have been playing since June and probably have 40 hours or so, so I have learned to avoid standing next to walls, and when prone, not swiveling around a lot, and being careful with inventory because it is still buggy.

10 seconds to change from secondary to primary? Seriously? It takes about 3 seconds. That might be a tad long, but to holster a weapon, snap/strap it in securely, then sling the primary around to your front.... that takes time and is not safe to do while running. I think the instant weapon switch in all the FPS is lame.

Just my observations on the current state of the game.

I'm happy with it AS IS and enjoy it thouroughly. Any updates and improvements are just icing on the cake for me and my friends.

Edited by baz

*flame suit on*

I have been playing Day Z for some time now and after my most recent run I have come to the fair conclusion that this mod FAILS as a zombie survival simulator.

I understand that this game was not built under with the thought of "Oh hey, this would be really fun!"

About me:

I am not a sorry ass noob who is crying because he keeps dying, or can't find any gear. I had it all. The only thing I failed to find is vehicles(well ive been killed by them enough). I have played the game many ways including but not limited to: a friendly survivor, a terrorizing bandit, a two faced survivor who will gain your trust just to shoot you when you dont expect it(sadistic, i know), batman, an honest abe player who doesnt exploit the system, an asshole whole will d/c when fired upon only to return a few minutes later to shoot you when you think the coast is clear. I have played this game nearly every way possible. Now the only thing fun to do is troll people in Cherno/Elektro on direct chat blaring some sort of awful music or some other weird ass way to play the game.

Enough about me...

Why Day-z Fails as a zombie survival simulation:

1. Okay, #1, This game is far from a simulation -Aside from zombies not being real and me not being able to hop to different dimensions(servers)- IRL you do not have unlimited stamina. I'm pretty sure if a zombie made you bleed you were going to be a zombie. More cars would be available, but gas would be priceless. Your person would suffer from depression due to the forced style of lone wolf game play (dont even say p2p interaction occurs, sniper bullets in your brain is not what i mean) There are a million things people could pick out if they wanted.
  2. Zombies suck in general, while their AI has been improving, they still are pretty broken. Zombies run at the same exact pace as every character in the game. Shouldn't zombies(and players?) run at different speeds? Zombies are hardly a threat (except when your blood level is critical). Wouldn't there be randomly roaming zombies ALL over the world and not just loot locations? In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans. Yeah, you will have evil people in the world but not nearly as many as there are on any day z server. Day-z = Anarchy Simulator?
  3. Other players ruin the game. I feel that surviving is just too easy in this game which is way many players resort to banditry. I think zombies need to much more of a threat.
  4. Im pretty sure there are more bugs than zombies, Yeah Alpha my ass, this has been in alpha for waaay to long and with the huge increase on players you would think BIS would help on the bug squashing end. Also- Rocket- This message is for you= Stop doing interviews saying the SAME THING in all of them and get back to work before someone steps in and takes your idea and makes it better.
  5. Welcome to Day-Z the walking simulator. The map is way too big to have any fun on when it takes 4 hours to get to the northern border just to get shot by a random sniper. Put more vehicles in the game and make gas a rare commodity that could even be used as a currency.
  6. This game is not fun- No one wants to play a boring ass walking simulator. Rocket do you want sales? People dont buy it unless they know its fun. The only reason so many people bought crappy Arma 2 was because of all the hype. This game appeared to be the most fun thing in the world. I even forced myself to believe that for some time. But after about 24 hours of game play, I cant say that its very fun. I think with some major tweaks you will create a game filled with fun while maintaining a walking zombie simulator genre.

Okay you savage people, I expect a lot of tl:dr's and other forms of internet doucheness.

1. I wouldn't be depressed as a Lone Wolf. I would be having too much fun living off the land in a completely quiet world. It seems to me that avoiding the stress of Zombies would be pretty easy outside of cities. I'm sure I could find an animal companion if my own dogs didn't make it or disappeared in the initial chaos. Also, just because they make you bleed, doesn't mean you would become one, most survivors, are survivors because they were immune to the initial infection. You also don't have unlimited stamina in-game.

2. The mod is in Alpha, that comes before Beta and WAY before final release, saying the game sucks because of bugs or mechanics is just plain fucking stupid at this point. Humans are ALWAYS the number one enemy or other humans.

3. Everything is in the process of being balanced so zombies will and won't be a threat at times, players are always a threat.

4. This one was just pure ignorance.

5. Play smarter. I've been alive and have traveled all over the map for several days, I've rarely been shot at because I out think my opponents.

6. I have plenty of fun even when I'm running through the Wilderness, I enjoy looking at the scenery and how real it all appears. I like to think about how awesome the final product will be.

tl;dr: Nothing you said was helpful or intelligent. I completely wasted my time reading and replying. I also wasn't really concentrating on either.

Problem 1 :

Players expectations are set too high when they arrive into the game from watching edited action highlights on youtube with 2 hours of crawling, walking, and foraging edited out, or reading game reviews written by old school gamers.

Problem 2:

Players expectations are based on other zombie shooters such as L4D, Killing Floor, and Resident Evil.

Problem 3:

Players have no understanding of what Alpha's and Beta's are.

Problem 4:

Players expectations of gaming have been defined (corrupted) by cookie cutter production lines like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Problem 5:

Players can't get used to not having respawns, progession tracking, and save games.

Problem 6:

Players have been playing too much CoD and BF3

Problem 7:

A lot of players are too young to understand what old school gaming is. And DayZ is definitely old school. Make a mistake, die.

Problem 8:

A lot of modern kids are brought up to feel self entitled and are spoiled rotten. "I want it, and I want it now!" Throwing tantrums is considered normal and acceptable.

Problem 9:

You may not like a game. It happens. Move on. Don't cry about it.

Feel free to add to the problems that generate OPs like this one.

(39yo and gaming for over 30 years and personally believe DayZ is the most original and exciting thing to happen to gaming in over 10 years. Thanks Rocket.)

This should be put on a plaque, and distributed to every PC gamer in the world.

Actually, I take that back... I WOULD absolutely like to see fixes for DC'ers and Server hopping for loot and ghosting. I personally have never been the vicitim of a server hopper, at least as far as I know, but the thought that it happens often annoys the crap out of me. These are two bugs that SHOULD absolutely be getting their primary attention.

I happen to like this walking walking simulator. A lot, I can't get enough of it. Even in shitty state it has drove me to get a server and a team. There are bugs, too many of them. I've lost weapons, night vision cars to bugs, bandits. But I respawn, Ito electro or cherno, either get geared or die, and leave off where I was before.

Players must realize, there's such thing as too much realism. Remember this is game, it's meant to be fun. You coplain about running all over the map, then say its unrealistic because you can literally run all over the map and not get exhausted would you like to make it so you take breaks and into only make it harder o traverse the map, but take longer? I doubt it. Would you like it when you break our leg you can't walk for about 6 months real time? I doubt it.

Yes the game is obviously in beta phase. Yes there a lot of bug, and no, the game play is probably not going to drastically change.

Please troll on my terrible grammar as I am using my phone for this post. Thanks.

Edited by w_epley
  • Like 1