Sign in to follow this  
TyGuy (DayZ)

What to do when you come across a dead body...

So, if you come across another players dead body, and that player STILL has everything on him, should you loot it? If you die, can you revisit the place you were killed, and collect your items back?

Player corpses are there for only one reason; to let you know when they've been KILLED.

The safest bet is to steer clear. But what's the fun in that?

-MONSTER

I analyze the area first. I have had a multitude of traps sprung on me while investigating a body.

I'll usually loot it if I have someone to cover me; as for coming back for it; no I usually won't. Usually.

Loot that shit. and if i was killed by another player Gratz to him he can have my shit

So if I die in a house in the north, due to a door killing me for example or other such glitch, is it viable to sprint the 20km or whatever to get your gear back, or would your dead body be gone by the time you got to it?

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

If the corpse still has everything on him, I generally assume that he's been sniped (recently) and steer clear..

I always hide bodies to keep loot away from other people (corpse running, snipe kills etc)

• Like 1

1. Assess the area.

2. Listen very carefully.

3. Approach with caution.

4. Loot but swap over useless items.

5. Run like the clappers

I dont hide Bodies as they serve as a reminder to others who come across it

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

how do you check what a walker has ? do you just click enter? or is it something else because I always go down prone and then there a gun symbol by the zombie and its usually like the same stuff.. well in my case its always the same stuff

Mouse over zombies, scroll your mousewheel.

If you see a gun with a circle around it, then you can loot stuff off zombie.

If you see a gun with no circle around it then zombie has nothing.

As for dying and looting your own corpse... you can do that just fine. I did it myself when had gotten a full kit for cooking meat (axe, matches and hunting knife), a Lee Enfield with plenty of ammo, water bottle, assorted medical supplies and a Makarov sidearm... some dumbass glitch caused a zombie to warp into the house I was in, and it knocked me down breaking my leg. I got so pissed at that glitch that I crawled back outside and into a bush just outside the town, fired of a shot with my Enfield and let the zombies eat me.

Then I respawned about 5 times until I spawned next to the little village again, ran over to aforementioned bush and looted all my stash... without broken bones or reduced blood... then I bolted north into the woods, axed a cow to death on a field, made a campfire in a secluded valley, cooked up 7 meat and now live happily ever after.

However!

If you have to run a long distance to get back to your corpse you should (assuming you have the chance) drop the loot on the ground first. The player corpses may despawn or glitch out. I'm sure everyone has ran past areas where you hear the flies buzzing but find no player corpse. But items dropped on the ground will persist for a much longer time than the corpses (at least in the experience me and my friends have). Generally if one of us die and others don't have room to grab the items, we empty the corpse and place the loot all over the ground. I have yet to come back and find any items dropped on the ground lost or despawned.

Be warned though that there is a glitch with the backpacks. Friend of mine looted my backpack and dropped it on ground, but when I got there I couldn't see the backpack. However, when he ran back to show me where he dropped it, it was visible on his screen but not on mine (nor another friend of us who were in same spot). So dropping a backpack with full contents might get glitchy if you have to run a long ways to get back.

• Like 1

Depends how close they are to shore. I always scout the area first, they died for a reason, be it zombies or the more dangerous asshole. Once I feel that it's safe enough I'll go take a peak, but i only take what I need if they are close to shore.

If you see a gun with no circle around it then zombie has nothing.

This is not true. Many times you will find gear on zombies that do not show the circle. Hunters, cops, and military zombies in particular. Always check the gear of your kills.

So if I die in a house in the north, due to a door killing me for example or other such glitch, is it viable to sprint the 20km or whatever to get your gear back, or would your dead body be gone by the time you got to it?

I died up north last night due to a low doorframe killing me (-20k health when I went from prone to crouch). I'd been scouting for food for a friend who logged off about a mile east of where I died.

I respawned a few times trying to get the nearest spawn, but ended up just going to cherno and grabbing supplies, then hoofing it for about an hour to get back to my body. It was still there, flies and all.