Inception.

Punishing bandits? Shut up, seriously.

that is how we should punish bandits in elektro :)

(not my video, found it on youtube)

Edited by Shagohad

There is a HUGE difference on killing for fun and killing for survival...Most of the people are dumb,idiots for killing for fun.

There is a HUGE difference on killing for fun and killing for survival...Most of the people are dumb,idiots for killing for fun.

I think in theory, Its a game. You are killing for 'fun' regardless of how you word it. Its a game. Some people kill other when spotting them, thats for fun. Some people go looking to Cherno to kill people, for fun.

Now, the subject of ones morals is different, but ultimately everything you choose to do you do it for fun. Unless you like to torture yourself and play a game you hate. Right?

Everyone is just getting into a moral argument now "You are dumb for playing this way." 'I think you shouldn't do this."

Quite frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks. Its an open Sandbox Zombie Game.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 1

Players should be the ones responsible for punishing other players. There shouldn't be any game mechanic that does it automatically.

You should be able to examine a corpse and get info about the murderer so that the community on the server can hunt them down and dish out whatever punishment they see fit. The game would only help you by telling you the person's name, nothing more. You would have to track them down yourself.

To combat the logging out to change servers/avoid death exploit, we need separate characters for every server we join.

Players should be the ones responsible for punishing other players. There shouldn't be any game mechanic that does it automatically.

You should be able to examine a corpse and get info about the murderer so that the community on the server can hunt them down and dish out whatever punishment they see fit. The game would only help you by telling you the person's name, nothing more. You would have to track them down yourself.

To combat the logging out to change servers/avoid death exploit, we need separate characters for every server we join.

Currently the only way I can find out targets/bandits to hunt down is by asking other players. What you suggested here would help out a lot.

@ Inception - The current problem with that suggestion is there is no way to know who killed you. In a way, I see why Rocket wants this to gone to keep 'realism' but there is to an certain extent when realism is good, and when it is bad.

I would suggest in his stand-alone project or even in a later build in Alpha, Possibly Beta, to bring back Sidechat, or at least set up a city system chat. Though he has spoken about radios in the past. Which would not help anyone when you really think about it. Anyone playing with friends is using TS3 or other software to communicate. Survivors on their own have no real tools to hook up with eachother besides the forums. Even then it is a hit and miss system.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

...Considering the fact that all in-game survivors are military personnel [in the manner of the actual character played]...

erm ....no. People run around in tourist clothing for a reason.

..., they would have already killed people.

No. Not all military personnel have already killed people. Thats a very silly thing to assume.

Other than that, there is no banditry in this game.

It has been removed since a few patches ago. Right now there are no choices to make. You either play deathmatch alongside everyone else or you just die everytime you meet someone who is armed, except maybe for the 0,5% outliers.

I understand that this is obviously exactly what military roleplayers who use 3rd party software for external organization and communication are looking for. But it is to be expected that people who played this mod in its original state will complain about it, simply because it is breaking immersion and removes the guessing and the choices of encounters. Also, when there is an abundance of ressources it simply doesn't make any sense that everone is hunting everone else down, taking unnecessary risks in the process. The game used to cover believable human interaction better when banditry was actually in the game.

Only yesterday I had to shoot someone who was attacking me with a hatchet even though I was carrying an M14 and he could have easily avoided me. People like that are not bandits, they are simply proof that it is frag or get fragged, no matter if it is believable or not. Yes, from now on I will call it "frag" and not "kill", because that term fits it actually a lot better.

I still think the game is a lot of fun, but then again, I also enjoyed playing lots of deathmatch in other FPS games.

I personally dont understand why so many people complain about bandits.

Thats just part of life in the postapocalyptic world.

I only wish the communication tools would be a bit better, but most of the time I try to announce myself as a Friendly over Direct Chat if I see a survivor near me.

Are you fucking retarded? I mean...fuck man, you are so bloody stupid. I don't even like CoD.

Your assumptions are fucking stupid. Jesus christ woman.

The butt-hurt is strong with this one. If you act like an asshole to other people, other people will do the same to you. Deal with it.

The butt-hurt is strong with this one. If you act like an asshole to other people, other people will do the same to you. Deal with it.

I'm not butthurt. I just don't like morons.

The only Bandits I have problems with are the ones that roll into Cherno and 'Lektro with their loot bus and just waste everyone in sight, mainly fresh spawns, and even people being friendly and begging for mercy. All the othr ones, well, who cares? Chances they're getting shot a day later by other Bandits.

You're butt-hurt, you like to dish it out but you can't take it.

I can take it easily. I always have and always will. I hardly get offended.

I find it funny that you know so much more about me than I do of myself. Incorrect assumptions won't get you far in life, my friend.

Swearing =/= butthurt.

I can take it easily. I always have and always will. I hardly get offended.

I find it funny that you know so much more about me than I do of myself. Incorrect assumptions won't get you far in life, my friend.

Swearing =/= butthurt.

Thats why you're out making whining topics right?

Thats why you're out making whining topics right?

Doesn't mean I'm "butthurt".

Notice the date of creation.

Bandits are just cowards. They have a very liberal attitude really. Kill other players because you are too weak and lazy to scavenge and brave dangerous spots. Maybe you do hit the dangerous spots sometimes but, it still shows your lazy side to go for the 'easy' pickings of a fellow player.

I have been killed several times by bandits without warning. And, just as many times I have had an unsuspecting player in my sight or literally in my cross hairs, and not killed them. Why? Because I had no need to. There is no need to. If you are out of food an starting to blink. Get your lazy butt to a barn or town and find some food. If you want a better weapon search the deer stands and military sites. Give a little effort and grow a pair with some hair on them. Just yesterday I started blinking so huffed and puffed to Gorka and crept into a barn looking for drink. I blinked for a long time and didn't drop dead or kill a fellow player in panic. But sure enough I found a drink.

And do you know what. When I turned to go back and check the side room of the barn another player shot and killed me. Why? Because he pissed his pants when I turned around. If he was REALLY concerned I was going to kill him he would have not followed me into the barn without calling out in Direct chat.

Wow. What a novel idea. People trying to communicate with each other. I have only had a handful of people use Direct chat. One guy used it to call out to me and a friend at a hospital once. Saying hey, I mean no harm. We let him approach. We all went into the hospital together and without him asking I offered to use a blood pack on him. I think he was floored by that. I could tell he had bad experiences with the neanderthals in the game because he seemed uneasy and dismissed himself quickly. We went on our merry way after.

I also find it somewhat ridiculous about people calling banditry a PvP encounter. If you shoot at someone from cover without them being aware, that is not player combat. That is not PvP. That is assassination. It is one sided. You can whine and moan all day but you cannot call it PvP. If you had real stones you would call out and make your target aware of your intent to kill them and then take their gear for no good reason. But oh, that would even the playing field somewhat.

I am heartened to see the few large groups that have taken initiative to have their fun in a more productive way, i.e. offering medical services or even mercenary assaults. That is so much more creative that hiding behind a bush and waiting to snipe someone as they try to do some thing silly like upgrade their gear at a military tent. Shame on them. I mean really, boys, who died and decided all the gear in the game is yours to control. When you are older and have some maturity under you belt you may understand. And, if you are older and still don't get it well someday you may even mature.

For now you rabid Yorkies can bark and wail at my post all you want. It will not change the way I play the game. And for everyone that has assisted a fellow player and made life saving choices, hats off to you.

I never understood what their whole argument is, really.

It's facts that penalizing bandits would pretty much be penalizing the smallest sect of players. If we add skins back in, they become the shoot-on-sight targets. We add debuffs, and the random person who defended himself from another crazed survivor is given a debuff for not trying to die. There's no winning situation with the system we have right now.

Are there dicks who camp the coast and fuck with spawnees? Yeah. But will penalizing them for doing that stop them? Nope. They're just doing it to troll. My personal policy is if I don't see a gun, I just don't shoot. Plain and simple. But once you have a way of defending yourself, you're a target. And yes, that even means Makarovs and small arms. I've had plenty of stealthy players sneak up on me back when I was new to DayZ with just pistols. It's entirely a possibility. So, I don't leave that possibility if you give yourself away to me.

Fix? Give bandit skins back. Bandits spawn in competely different areas. The fact of the matter is that there are a large portion of players using the lack of distinction to troll everyone else, ruining everything for both bandits and players alike.

So someone is given a debuff for trying to protect themselves, and a debuff for trying to murder everyone? There's no winning in either situation. Instead, it would be better to buff and debuff for either case. People who don't murder get certain buffs to certain things, but certain debuffs to others. Same goes with bandits. The point is that anyone who is an "honest" bandit ought to be angry at player griefers who just PK for fun. Because that isn't what being a bandit is about. Camping the coast or Cherno and sniping unarmed noobs isn't banditry, that's just being a CoD player.

I support returning the bandit skins, but only insofar as bandits and survivors spawn far enough away that both can stand a chance before meeting in the "wasteland".

Oh please, would you all stop crying about bandits? Would you stop posting threads about how you want player killing to be punished?

I saw one thread earlier requesting a "sanity meter, that would range from 100% [sane] to 0% [insane]. Killing survivors would make the sanity level go down because, "realistically" [as stated by the OP], killing other survivors would make you go insane because your character could not live with the thought that you had killed another person.

...Considering the fact that all in-game survivors are military personnel [in the manner of the actual character played], they would have already killed people. Obviously since you are playing the character they haven't gone COMPLETELY insane. [if this is incorrect please disregard this paragraph.]

Seriously...stop asking for bandits to be punished. Even Rocket doesn't particularly like that idea. If you don't like bandits, then learn to avoid them. If you have a personal vendetta against bandits, learn to hunt them. Learn to make them suffer.

I/we [my group] have a shoot-on-sight policy. If I let you go, I have no idea if you spotted me and are planning to eliminate me whilst my back is turned. [Of course, this shoot-on-sight policy doesn't particularly apply to the southern to south-east coast parts of the map, as most players are fresh spawns or the players generally have low tier weapons- in the manner of capabilities, not value- thus they are not a threat. But when I am up near the high value loot spots/places where more experienced players normally are, then it's a shoot-on-sight policy not matter what.

Survivors become bandits because bandits exist. Bandits exist because survivors become then. 'Tis an endless cycle.

So please, don't waste your time and come up with some silly sort of bandit-punishment idea, unless it really is a fucking brilliant one.

Awww is the baby bandit crying awww boo hoo

Awww is the baby bandit crying awww boo hoo

Not a tear was shed; your assumption is silly.

And I'm both a bandit and a survivor.

Fix? Give bandit skins back. Bandits spawn in competely different areas. The fact of the matter is that there are a large portion of players using the lack of distinction to troll everyone else, ruining everything for both bandits and players alike.

So someone is given a debuff for trying to protect themselves, and a debuff for trying to murder everyone? There's no winning in either situation. Instead, it would be better to buff and debuff for either case. People who don't murder get certain buffs to certain things, but certain debuffs to others. Same goes with bandits. The point is that anyone who is an "honest" bandit ought to be angry at player griefers who just PK for fun. Because that isn't what being a bandit is about. Camping the coast or Cherno and sniping unarmed noobs isn't banditry, that's just being a CoD player.

I support returning the bandit skins, but only insofar as bandits and survivors spawn far enough away that both can stand a chance before meeting in the "wasteland".

Why do you guys want to just shift the 'shoot-on-sight' mentality to a minority of players? Nobody can seem to come up with an answer to that, and that's why I firmly am against the bandit skin coming back. You bring it back, and every survivor will just open fire on anybody remotely looking like a bandit, no questions asked. I mean, why would you try and cooperate with someone you know has killed a survivor?

As for debuffs for the innocent, really? I mean, really? Are you seriously telling people that they should second-guess whether or not they should return fire against someone who is shooting at them, simply because they might not want to get a bullshit debuff that's intended for those who purposely PK? If I had to choose between recollecting my gear again or living with a debuff because I was defending myself (even if it was temporary) I'd go with the death every time. I don't want to be penalized simply because I was trying to protect myself.

Penalizing 18% of the players at current isn't going to solve anything, especially when a small minority of them are probably innocents caught in the crossfire of an unfair system.

And you wanna know how I feel about the kids sitting at Cherno and Electro, trolling people? I couldn't give a damn what the do. They're not my problem, so why should I worry about them? I purposely avoid them, purely for the fact that they do nothing for the game at all. Granted, not everybody has that luxury, but as an "honest" bandit, I don't really give a fuck about them. They'll waste their time and troll whether we add back in the bandit skin, whether we give them debuffs, whether we make them bleed spontaneously, or whether we detonate nuclear-fucking-weapons on them. If you think that any of these changes are going to make a majority of them stop camping the coast, you're sorely mistaken.

Bandits are just cowards. They have a very liberal attitude really. Kill other players because you are too weak and lazy to scavenge and brave dangerous spots. Maybe you do hit the dangerous spots sometimes but, it still shows your lazy side to go for the 'easy' pickings of a fellow player.

I have been killed several times by bandits without warning. And, just as many times I have had an unsuspecting player in my sight or literally in my cross hairs, and not killed them. Why? Because I had no need to. There is no need to. If you are out of food an starting to blink. Get your lazy butt to a barn or town and find some food. If you want a better weapon search the deer stands and military sites. Give a little effort and grow a pair with some hair on them. Just yesterday I started blinking so huffed and puffed to Gorka and crept into a barn looking for drink. I blinked for a long time and didn't drop dead or kill a fellow player in panic. But sure enough I found a drink.

And do you know what. When I turned to go back and check the side room of the barn another player shot and killed me. Why? Because he pissed his pants when I turned around. If he was REALLY concerned I was going to kill him he would have not followed me into the barn without calling out in Direct chat.

Wow. What a novel idea. People trying to communicate with each other. I have only had a handful of people use Direct chat. One guy used it to call out to me and a friend at a hospital once. Saying hey, I mean no harm. We let him approach. We all went into the hospital together and without him asking I offered to use a blood pack on him. I think he was floored by that. I could tell he had bad experiences with the neanderthals in the game because he seemed uneasy and dismissed himself quickly. We went on our merry way after.

I also find it somewhat ridiculous about people calling banditry a PvP encounter. If you shoot at someone from cover without them being aware, that is not player combat. That is not PvP. That is assassination. It is one sided. You can whine and moan all day but you cannot call it PvP. If you had real stones you would call out and make your target aware of your intent to kill them and then take their gear for no good reason. But oh, that would even the playing field somewhat.

I am heartened to see the few large groups that have taken initiative to have their fun in a more productive way, i.e. offering medical services or even mercenary assaults. That is so much more creative that hiding behind a bush and waiting to snipe someone as they try to do some thing silly like upgrade their gear at a military tent. Shame on them. I mean really, boys, who died and decided all the gear in the game is yours to control. When you are older and have some maturity under you belt you may understand. And, if you are older and still don't get it well someday you may even mature.

For now you rabid Yorkies can bark and wail at my post all you want. It will not change the way I play the game. And for everyone that has assisted a fellow player and made life saving choices, hats off to you.

There isn't a problem with banditry in the game. You're going to encounter it. And you should. That's how it works. There will always been an element that preys on the "weak" for their own survival. I think what you aren't doing, is distinguishing between PKers (Griefers) and bandits. Bandits are one thing. Griefers are another. And it is not the fault of bandits. It's the fault of the dev(s) taking a lazy approach to developing the mod by stating they won't trying and "balance" things (Either because they aren't creative enough to figure something out, or they're honestly too lazy. If they had an ounce of real sense, and if they wanted to ultimately make this into a standalone game with a shot at any success, they would do something. Instead, all that seems to be given is condescension and half assed explanations for not doing anything. Take that as you will fanboys.).

Bandits aren't the problem. They're there for adding another facet to the experience. The problem is CoD and BF nut sacks that spend their time killing (Without even bothering to looting) and camping spawn spots. I've seen videos of earlier builds of this alpha, where legitimate bandits made their living. I was amazed,and incredibly impressed by roadside robberies (That didn't end up in the victim being executed), and other such similar things. That is how the game is meant to be played. But lazy developers and braindead "yes-man" fans make any sort of changes impossible. Thus, you will only get the experience you get now: A watered-down semi-realistic zombie survival mod that fails to capture much of an experience, because it caters to people who abuse the bandit name, and the lack of skins to simply grief, instead of trying to play the game as a survival. A bandit is not a griefer, but a griefer is a bandit. You can see how it goes downhill from there.