Soujyo

Taking away even more access to our servers?

More HFB crap.

I wonder when they will respond to my Paypal dispute...

I also wonder why, when my server has been shut down for a while now, that today I got two "illegal changes" emails from them.

How unprofessional are they????

lol I believe HFB is moving away.

Why? Because they see it like the rest of us, DayZ is going to die off because of the strict bullshit rules they're putting on server hosts.

Why? Because they see it like the rest of us, DayZ is going to die off because of the strict bullshit rules they're putting on server hosts.

Get a dedicated server, don't deal with it.

People also seem to think that HFB is an actual hosting company with a data center(s). They are actually 2 or 3 guys who built a website and resell servers they rent from real hosting companies.

It would be like someone here renting a server from x real hosting company, getting a website up, and reselling that server for profit.

Their operation is not only too small to handle all the servers they have, but when there is an actual problem they can't deal with it, they have to get support from the actual hosting company.

I'm not saying that business model can't work, but it's obviously not working for them.

Get a dedicated server, don't deal with it.

People also seem to think that HFB is an actual hosting company with a data center(s). They are actually 2 or 3 guys who built a website and resell servers they rent from real hosting companies.

It would be like someone here renting a server from x real hosting company, getting a website up, and reselling that server for profit.

Their operation is not only too small to handle all the servers they have, but when there is an actual problem they can't deal with it, they have to get support from the actual hosting company.

I'm not saying that business model can't work, but it's obviously not working for them.

I'm pretty sure Wild has a dedi already and is just voicing his opinion.

As for HFB, 95% of these "hosting" companies work that business model. That's why I went dedicated years ago. Got tired of shitty reseller companies overloading their servers and failing to respond to tickets in a timely manner. The only one I'll ever use again if I have to is NFO. They cost more than most companies but they don't overload.

• Like 3

Yes. And I'm absolutely convinced that no hosting company will step in and take over offering hosting services to the many, many new servers that come online every single day.

Because as we all know companies HATE new customers.

Haha.

This thread gets funnier by the page.

Screw HFB and screw every entitled admin who signed up for a server because they wanted a private playground for themselves and their friends to lord power over others and make their own rules.

DayZ will live on without you. I promise.

Kicking exploiters and keeping a server as hacker free as possible is bad for a player base? You're friggin nuts...

I play on my server maybe two days a week hardly my personal playground there asshat....

You guys are aware even Rocket himself said he did not care of DayZ died, or if it just died on its own or his own doing, it doesn't bother him.

Not to stomp on your outrage, as this upsets me also. But I do realize this isn't even on his radar.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

You are a fool if you don't think he, or BI, care. They most definitely do. Perhaps early on he didn't care as it was still an experimental idea. Now it is going to become a standalone product. They certainly don't want to destroy the name brand now.

they got their money already, thats all they wanted. Rocket got hired, thats all he wanted.

Don't piss on the game too much or they will just lock this thread like they lock every other one they don't like. Sorry excuse for a way to run things.

Kicking exploiters and keeping a server as hacker free as possible is bad for a player base? You're friggin nuts...

I play on my server maybe two days a week hardly my personal playground there asshat....

When 15% of Admins use their power to do that, and the other 85% use it to kick anyone who isn't in their clan, or who tries to steal their vehicles, or raid their camp, or just happens to kill someone they like, then, yes, cumulatively that's bad for the player base as a whole.

Maybe it's not quite as severe. But even if only 25% of Admins (I feel that's low) are using their powers unscrupulously that still has a massive impact on the game. Not to sound dramatic, but apart from hackers, rogue Admins are the greatest threat to DayZ at the moment. A few are dedicated, motivated and professional individuals out to contribute to the advancement of the mod but many, many are a consortium of children who pool 5-10 bucks apiece every month for the privilege of taking advantage of the power that gives them over other people.

I've said already I appreciate your dedication to hack prevention, but that in the grand scheme of things you're basically spitting on a bonfire. By the time you know someone is a hacker, the damage is done and by the time you ban them they're off on another server anyway and by the time BattleEye gets around to banning them the next 5-10 people are lining up to take their place.

Hacking is a problem that is going to have to be dealt with wholesale, most likely when DayZ makes the jump to a new engine and branches off into it's own stand-alone product in which case they will have access to all client and server code, not just the mod, and be able to deal with the issue in a broader, more comprehensive way. It's not going to be stopped by some grassroots effort to IP ban then 1-by-1. It is a dynamic demographic, made up of people who have either quit playing DayZ or quit playing ARMA and don't care about their CDKEY anymore, or those who are capable of finding other ways to acquire CDKEYs.

The very small percentage of Admins who have the time and dedication to do what you do, while noble and laudable, are not going to make a difference across thousands of servers and 700k players.

they got their money already, thats all they wanted. Rocket got hired, thats all he wanted.

Oh, god.

Because if DayZ turns into an abysmal failure they won't turn around and fire him.

How do you think the world works? Like, okay, he's hired now he's set for life?

They hired him to do a fucking job.

That job is DayZ.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I bet the focus is on getting it to run right under ARMA3 before its released. What's going on here is just a Petri dish to watch the spores grow in and figure out what kills them. While I'm sure they want the brand, I doubt they care much about full ARMA2 integration. At this point it's a source of funding (ARMA 2 sales) to fund the finishing of 3 and give it a launch boost, more so if some form of DAYZ is built in.......

Edited by jskibo

I bet the focus is on getting it to run right under ARMA3 before its released. What's going on here is just a Petri dish to watch the spores grow in and figure out what kills them. While I'm sure they want the brand, I doubt they care much about full ARMA2 integration. At this point it's a source of funding (ARMA 2 sales) to fund the finishing of 3 and give it a launch boost, more so if some form of DAYZ is built in.......

That's pretty much exactly what they should be focusing on.

I don't think it's any mystery that ARMA3 is DayZ's ultimate destination. ARMA2 and Chernarus are a placeholder environment for the concept and pre-alpha/prototype phase.

And funding from ARMA2 feeds into ARMA3 and DayZ proper.

I'm not sure if you're saying this is a bad thing?

Because it seems like a really smart way to handle it, the only logical course of action, and an excellent way to springboard DayZ development on a relatively modern engine to which it is already intimately related.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

@ZedsDeadBaby

I hear all these people scream admin abuse about getting kicked yet it seems like it is a small minority, it's just very vocal people that come on the forums when it happens.

Before I rented my own server I played on probably 25-30 random servers and was only ever kicked once, it was a clan server, I believe it was called [broken] Clan or something similar. But that was the only time it ever happened. I think sure it is a problem on a few select servers but if those servers are reported and blacklisted then problem solved.

Edited by HoboNinja

@ZedsDeadBaby

I hear all these people scream admin abuse about getting kicked yet it seems like it is a small minority, it's just very vocal people that come on the forums when it happens.

Because I rented my own server I played on probably 25-30 random servers and was only ever kicked once, it was a clan server, I believe it was called [broken] Clan or something similar. But that was the only time it ever happened. I think sure it is a problem on a few select servers but if those servers are reported and blacklisted then problem solved.

My experience has been different. Of course both of our experiences are anecdotal and subjective so I'm not claiming either as fact. But, I personally have witnessed some pretty suspect behavior.

Clans that auto-kick on server join if you're not a member ([TAG] anyone?). Admins pushing players out to make room for friends or clan members. Unannounced "crashes" in order to exploit item duplication bugs en masse. "Connection lost" at incredibly convenient moments as the tide of battle turns. Bans for murder or theft. "No PK" servers. "Travel" servers.

At quick glance right now there are at least ~100 servers that are currently password locked. Many with 5+ players online.

And what's the trade off? Besides hunting for hackers (which, again, by the time you parse through the logs and find them the damage is long since past) what powers do you feel Admins simply have a right to wield over players on their servers?

Because try as I might I really don't see why you should ever have a reason to do anything but restart, or justified kicks/bans.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

That's pretty much exactly what they should be focusing on.

I don't think it's any mystery that ARMA3 is DayZ's ultimate destination. ARMA2 and Chernarus are a placeholder environment for the concept and pre-alpha/prototype phase.

And funding from ARMA2 feeds into ARMA3 and DayZ proper.

I'm not sure if you're saying this is a bad thing?

Because it seems like a really smart way to handle it, the only logical course of action, and an excellent way to springboard DayZ development on a relatively modern engine to which it is already intimately related.

Owned ARMA one and two since release and still enjoy them. Looking forward to three. Dayz is a nice distraction but enjoy coop tactical engagements better.

If its a free 2 play model dayz in the end I'll skip it. Saying F2P as in, buy a better weapon, skin, etc. also not interested in a thousand person island server solution.

HFB sell "slots", like Hypernia, GameServers, and other GSPs.

All of those companies restrict what the customers can access on the system. You usually have to use the Control Panel to restart the game, or upload a new mission, etc.

So what they're doing, isn't "that" bad.

They have to do it because of the rules DayZ Devs are enforcing, which means they (HFB) have to be even more heavy handed because all their customers share resources (and the same IP).

Each customer (AFAIK) does not have a unique IP address for example, so if one person breaks the rules, it can take down a half dozen customers.

Customer 1 decides to edit his server.cfg (same place the MOTD is) and change the name to "HOSTED BY JOHNY. DAYZ v1.7.2.5". That would get several customers banned

Customer 1 decides to edit the DayZ mission, and allow all chat channels, upload it. Gets several customers banned.

etc,etc

I host with Vilayer and HFB

What I can do with Vilayer that I can't with HFB (even though they claim same restrictions )

Edit my scripts.txt

Edit all three of my logs files

Rename my log

Delete my log

Add or remove bans via the panel

Access a command window

Rcon from the ACP panel

lol it's so funny...all the assholes drinking the kool aid...thinking we give a shit what they think.

You really make me laugh, you do.

This move is going to ruin the game. I called it a fucking while ago that this was rocket & co. cashing in on his game way too early. Even his friends bailed and started hosting companies to make quick cash. With the amount of control server owners now get I cannot see why anyone in their right mind would run a dayz server let alone pay for one. You can't even ban players abusing things? Just think about that.

Enjoy your 1 year of fame rocket lol

This move is going to ruin the game. I called it a fucking while ago that this was rocket & co. cashing in on his game way too early. Even his friends bailed and started hosting companies to make quick cash. With the amount of control server owners now get I cannot see why anyone in their right mind would run a dayz server let alone pay for one. You can't even ban players abusing things? Just think about that.

That makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever.

If it was a cash grab, why would they even bother implementing or trying to enforce these rules? How would that help in their efforts to make money?

"Gee guys, lets make some quick cash! Yeah, and in the process we should implement a bunch of rules and spend our time trying to enforce them just to pass the time we could be spending doing other things!"

"Yeah! Brilliant!"

Holy shit you people are fucking delusional.

rocket could have easily made $4MM in his personal name via kickstarter if wanted. The money would still be coming in today.

But he refused to.

Cash grab my hairy asshole.

I don't understand why the dev's just don't host a few servers themselves that are connected to the hive and then let everyone else run their own servers the way they see fit.

If someone is paying for a server, they should be able to kick someone to make room for a friend/clan mate especially if they are contributing money to flip the bill.

There shouldn't be a slot minimum. Admins should be able to ban for whatever reason they want ( even if it is flaky)

Online games have been ran like this for years, when did COD or Counter Strike, or Tactical Ops ever have a gestapo overlord mandating how servers should be run. The big issue to me seems to be the "hive". So like I suggested, let the Dev's host some servers that are connected to the hive, they can run it by there rules however they see fit, and let other servers do there thing. Or allow mini-hives, where admins can decide if they want to join in with another server(s). I don't, maybe thats why there is a growing popularity with private servers. Maybe instead of shunning the idea they ( being the devs) should embrace it.

And as far as abusive admins, admins are like players, there are good ones and bad ones. Just the way it is. But the admins shouldn't be getting yolked out while the exploiters and hackers get free reign.

• Like 2

I don't understand why the dev's just don't host a few servers themselves that are connected to the hive and then let everyone else run their own servers the way they see fit.

If someone is paying for a server, they should be able to kick someone to make room for a friend/clan mate especially if they are contributing money to flip the bill.

There shouldn't be a slot minimum. Admins should be able to ban for whatever reason they want ( even if it is flaky)

Online games have been ran like this for years, when did COD or Counter Strike, or Tactical Ops ever have a gestapo overlord mandating how servers should be run. The big issue to me seems to be the "hive". So like I suggested, let the Dev's host some servers that are connected to the hive, they can run it by there rules however they see fit, and let other servers do there thing. Or allow mini-hives, where admins can decide if they want to join in with another server(s). I don't, maybe thats why there is a growing popularity with private servers. Maybe instead of shunning the idea they ( being the devs) should embrace it.

And as far as abusive admins, admins are like players, there are good ones and bad ones. Just the way it is. But the admins shouldn't be getting yolked out while the exploiters and hackers get free reign.

Actually a pretty interesting idea! Beans to you!

Where is Rocket making all this money?

So far it has seemed like he is doing this all for fun, he hasn't really made any money off of it. If anything he has spent money on maintaining, upgrading, and hosting the hive server.

Like I was pretty pissed about the changes but every problem I have had has been rectified so far.

I recently leased a server and to be honest I haven't really even played much on it....

I really wanted to try it solo and was hoping to maybe lock it for an hour and just kill zombies and try to survive in this apocalyptic world... I know, I know... there's other games that I can do that on.... WHAT EVER.

What I love about this game/mod is the feel of everything. The world is huge. So much possibility. I love the gameplay. I can't find that in another game.

We need to be able to control our servers the way we wish. Why lease a server when all everyone does is horde up outside map boundaries? Where people snipe others running around trying to survive and get a feel for the game in the cities? I honestly can't stand that. People think they're so awesome because they killed someone else. Hurray.... You're awesome bro! .... Right.... Most people aren't even looking for you or trying to engage with you. Everyone is focusing on the zombies, not the other players enough, so now you think you're cool because you killed someone who wasn't really even looking out for you....

I just want to play this game with friends and have a good time. Fight zombies, try and survive, build our own camps where the rest of the world is GONE. Worried about people hoarding stuff and looting the best things on private servers and then jumping with open servers? Make characters server specific.

I think if things don't change I won't be paying for the server next month. Why pay for something I can't really enjoy myself?

Its not the game that there is something wrong with, it is you my good sir xD ... the game is obviously not for you, you dont get the basic building blocks of this experience.. I'm sorry to say, alot of the things you listed as "I cant stand that" is what makes this game great.

Saying that people are dying because they arent worried someone else maybe intent on killing them is just making a point against yourself, because that is the worst thing you can do if you want to survive..

OH La-di-da, ill just go get some surplies.. everyone loves me and wants to be friends, i prolly dont need to look around the corner first, if there is a zombie i can just run and if its a player ill just have yet another fan :) .. *BOOM HEADSHOT* QQ

Learn the game or quit it.. either way, piss off the forums with whiny posts