Soujyo

Taking away even more access to our servers?

I personally support strict ruling. As soon as the rules are relaxed you're going to get locked servers, people exploiting admin rights, and all sorts of retarded crap that goes on in other games that have relaxed ruling.

Funny that's what we have atm, Ive reported locked/passworded servers a few times and nothing gets done about it that Ive seen.

So i don't think your strict rules works.

If this game doesn;t get mired down with all the crap and whining and the hacking etc, when it reaches full game they will be hosted by the makers probably, so renting servers may not be an option then anyway.

I'm lucky i play on servers where the admin /group seem sensible and run a good server on the whole and we just get on with the testing.

Same issues and concerns.

I am just struggling to use HFB's configuration tool as an alternative. Changes are not saved and its is heavily limiting how I can manage my server. I have not kicked/banned a single person or edited any file I was not supposed to. I followed the name convention before it was forcefully changed and was informed by HFB themselves to edit the server name once it came to my attention they had assigned another clan our server name and number.

Secondly the automatic restart function does not work as it should. It times out and in some cases can be abused if you do not get kicked or leave. Hence why I have to log on, let people know it will be restarting and apologize constantly for down time caused by something that is now out of my control.

In regards to locking, I fail to see how locking a server for 5 minutes before a restart is an offence in any way. Surely it should be regular locking that leads to any sanctions being made. I appreciate the server suppliers detect these changes automatically and just send out the generic email warning people of the sanctions but I wish there were better functions put into place so we do not have our hands forced by some higher source.

We signed up to a number of terms and rules, however these seem very lop-sided in their current form.

This leads me to believe that BIS is enforcing the security of the mod, in cooperation with BattlEye and the server suppliers, in order to better protect their material for a full-blown game. Which is what is expected to happen. I just wish they would realize the service we are providing to them and give us the tools so we can better enforce these ourselves.

If Rocket has stated he wants the players to define what the Day Z experience is, why are the server admins prevented from performing our duties?

Edited by SumoS

Really? So you don't monitor your logs? Check for scripts? Don't bother FTPing out to prune the logs to a manageable size and archive them?

Surely DayZ will die if you can't prune your logs.

:P

Seriously, just getting silly at this point.

The hacker issue is not going to be solved by checking logs on individual servers. Let the professionals handle it. Banning them one IP at a time is like trying to put out a housefire with a squirt gun. Thanks for your contributions, every little bit helps, but honestly you're probably safer just putting the gun down and standing behind the guy with the big hose, okay?

The incentive to run your own server is rapidly diminishing.

If pride in contributing to the Alpha development of one of the most unique and amazing games in the past 15 years and the ability to stand up one day and say "I helped build this" is not incentive enough for you, then fine. Let your server die. Others will take its place.

What other "incentive" are you referring to? Because I can't think of anything else that doesn't qualify as abuse or gaining an unfair advantage over other players in the game (e.g., locking for friends).

• Like 1

wow ^^ them rules are pretty stupid then.

No wonder private servers start popping up.

I even see private servers sharing the same database now aswell, so you can join various servers with the same char.

You'll just essentially pay to start and stop a server with these new rules, LOOOOOOOOOL.

(then also have a 30 page thread of admin abuse - because you restarted) which will then lead to a new rules "do not turn it off" haha.

Edited by MessHall
  • Like 1

Is this clamping down only affecting people who rent servers from the bigger hosting companies, or every last server? If there are going to be rules, then they should apply to everybody, or not exist.

If the dev team wants to run servers, let them pay to run servers.....

Friday July 20th US 193 and US 566 will be offline for 24 hours.

Why are you taking you servers offline? In Protest or for maintenance?

Is this clamping down only affecting people who rent servers from the bigger hosting companies, or every last server? If there are going to be rules, then they should apply to everybody, or not exist.

What the people in thread are complaining about (as it appears to me) is the restrictions that managed Day Z hosting companies are putting on them (like HFB).

What the people in thread are complaining about (as it appears to me) is the restrictions that managed Day Z hosting companies are putting on them (like HFB).

I get that (my server is through HFB). But, HFB says that they had no choice--the folks at DayZ demanded it. So, if that is the case, it should be demanded of everyone, right? Or, are HFB server renters more likely to cheat than someone else?

These private servers/hives, did you get permission to rip off DayZ or are you just doing it anyways?

These private servers/hives, did you get permission to rip off DayZ or are you just doing it anyways?

you're angry at a mod for a mod?

Did you get permission to just brain fart?

We are also think of taking down our server soon. Since it's totally useless to set up tents or using vehicle since their content despawns so often and the map is just to small to "hide" a base (setting up a "base" was the main reason for renting a server).

Additionally the dc-f*gs are fucking us up right now and we are helpless to get rid of them (no banning even with proof, which is ridiculous btw).

At the moment I don't feel like an admin, rather like an cash cow who pays for nothing. I want my power back!

• Like 1

I want my power back!

Good riddance.

Admins who do it for "power" are one of the biggest problems the game faces right now.

Go away so your server can be replaced by someone less interested in wielding power over people and more interested in participating in the development of DayZ and providing a stable, reliable test environment.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I get that (my server is through HFB). But, HFB says that they had no choice--the folks at DayZ demanded it. So, if that is the case, it should be demanded of everyone, right? Or, are HFB server renters more likely to cheat than someone else?

This is how I interpreted it: The reason they (supposedly) said that was because people were using their admin powers to things against Day Z rules.

For example, let's say US999 server (hypothetical) is hosted by x hosting company and is leased to John Smith (fictional name).

John Smith decides that he wants to lock/password his server to farm for loot with his friends. Since this is against the rules, US999 could possibly blacklisted. This doesn't affect John Smith because he just leases the server. This affects x hosting company, though, because if they continue to get blacklisted servers and/or let their clients go against Day Z rules then Day Z staff could blacklist the entire company, effectively shutting them down and hurting their business.

Now if someone locks/passwords their server or makes a change to the config that violates Day Z rules, x host installs a script that automatically shuts the server down and emails the client warning them not to do it again etc.

So, John Smith finds another way to go around the rules or do things a Day Z admin shouldn't. X host then decides to lay the hammer down and restrict ALL their servers, regardless of whether the admin was doing the right thing or not. That's harsh and over the top.

Now, I don't run run a hosting company, but there ARE legitimate reasons why an admin would need to lock their server. For example, right before restarts. Using Day Z server tools, I have it set up that the server automatically locks 10 minutes before a restart, as well as gives a warning to all players that the server is restarting in 10, 5 and 1 minute messages. < valid example server can be locked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line in my humble opinion is that the hosts who impose strong restrictions on their clients are trying to do the least amount of work as possible. Why? Because it's easier to be a hosting company when you take away pretty much all the access to your clients server.

Instead, why not do this: Give them full access. Add BEC/restart scripts to the client's console so their server can be as professional as possible.

If someone violates a Day Z rule, don't just send them an automatic message. Send them a personalized message telling them they went against y rule, here are the list of rules they MUST follow, and that this is a warning. A second violation results in suspension of the account for a certain amount of days and the third violation results in a cancellation of their account.

To me, that would be excellent service. It would allow those who follow the rules and do the right thing to continue to admin their server to the best of their abilities and it would weed out those who won't follow the rules.

Of course this would add a lot more work for the host, but if you can't provide a service the way things should be, why are you in the business?

Just my worthless two cents.

Good riddance.

Admins who do it for "power" are one of the biggest problems the game faces right now.

Go away so your server can be replaced by someone less interested in wielding power over people and more interested in participating in the development of DayZ and providing a stable, reliable test environment.

Sure, when giving back the power to the admins there will be some people who might abuse this, but I know so much people who stopped playing due to dc'ers and serverhoppers (and I can only tell them "I'm sorry, I can't do anything!"). Therefore you have to weight out whether you have some "black sheep" server (who will sooner or later be private since they dont give a fuck to provide a alpha testing enviroment) but a satisified - solid and growing - playergroup

OR

losing a stable, player providing server and the whole community behind that (we are a of around 60-80 people, at least half of them stopped playing DayZ)

______

Besides that: If you get banned, my god, look for another server, there are so much out there. The question is for how long will they be there?

Edited by Reo

Sure, when giving back the power to the admins there will be some people who might abuse this, but I know so much people who stopped playing due to dc'ers and serverhoppers (and I can only tell them "I'm sorry, I can't do anything!"). Therefore you have to weight out whether you have some "black sheep" server (who will sooner or later be private since they dont give a fuck to provide a alpha testing enviroment) but a satisified - growing - playergroup

OR

losing a stable, player providing server and the whole community behind that (we are a of around 60-80 people, at least half of them stopped playing DayZ)

______

Besides that: If you get banned, my god, look for another server, there are so much out there. The question is for how long will they be there?

Being following the game since it was sh*t I used to follow it until a few days a go. I started solo playing. We reached the 30 people playing this game in a ts and then everyone just started leaving as we sadly saw some of the best servers, hardcore as well getting annihilated by endless cheaters, we found our ways facing the bugs , but cheaters is what destroyed the experience many awesome and trustworthy servers been destroyed cause the admins were not allowed to do anything even in front of their eyes... We are stll waiting for a good comeback until then we follow from the forums trying to support the admins that sacrifice their money and time for the community.

Admin abuse is blown out of proportion and highly exaggerated. What isn't is the bane of the game - disconnecting to avoid death and ghosting (and to a more severe degree but less frequency - hacking). By removing any threat of repercussions for doing this it is becoming the norm not the exception. DayZ staff do not have the resources to review and investigate every case of hacking or exploiting - so why the holy hell are they trying to do it. There is an amazing resource of mature and adult admins who are wanting and willing to host a clean server that goes by the rulebook - a desire that benefits the entire community. By not taking advantage of that they are making a massive managerial faux pas.

They are doing this because of a few bad apples that have been shouted on and on about as if shitty admins reign supreme, but that isn't the case. What they are doing is simply the inverse of what they are wanting to accomplish. They want to avoid admins banning someone unjustly, but instead they go around and let exploiters unjustly manipulate and ruin the gameplay for thousands of others while castigating admins for trying to perform a normal and classic function since time immemorial with respect to gaming.

It would be one thing if they had robust gameplay mechanics to stop the exploiting, and I continue to hear about the technical solution being so easy. If it is just a matter of coming up with a punishment mechanic then begin to experiment with each patch and get feedback. Instead DayZ devs are sitting on their hands as a problem eats at the very core of the experience while shatting upon the folks paying for the real estate to promote and play the mod. Very few admins and server hosts want to ban anybody for those are the very folks who populate and make their server a place to play.

DayZ can't even respond to blacklisting the locked servers, how can they ask admins to submit a support ticket to take action on a duper, ghoster, dc'er, or hacker. We all know nothing will ever happen with those tickets.

Frankly, the server that I co-admin and that our group pays for will probably not be renewed. We will be shutting down our server on Friday, the 20th in protest along with a number of other servers as recommended by jskibo. I hope more admins jump on board with this to help raise awareness of the schism being formed between the admins, developers, and players.

... and if a solution is forthcoming - or at least the experimentation thereof - a communique would be more than welcomed, but preferably a dialogue like has been done in the past.

Why are you taking you servers offline? In Protest or for maintenance?

Protest

Well this sucks. Hopefully this can be resolved because I have no idea why they are taking this much control away, theres so many issues with the game and admins can help, and we don't mind the work.

Surely DayZ will die if you can't prune your logs.

:P

Seriously, just getting silly at this point.

The hacker issue is not going to be solved by checking logs on individual servers. Let the professionals handle it. Banning them one IP at a time is like trying to put out a housefire with a squirt gun. Thanks for your contributions, every little bit helps, but honestly you're probably safer just putting the gun down and standing behind the guy with the big hose, okay?

If pride in contributing to the Alpha development of one of the most unique and amazing games in the past 15 years and the ability to stand up one day and say "I helped build this" is not incentive enough for you, then fine. Let your server die. Others will take its place.

What other "incentive" are you referring to? Because I can't think of anything else that doesn't qualify as abuse or gaining an unfair advantage over other players in the game (e.g., locking for friends).

With that logic then why ban servers for pass wording. It's just going to happen.

I keep the idiots off the best that I can so yes I use my logs. And 500mb after three days is a butch to sort through.

If you don't then I feel sorry for your player base.

Admin abuse is blown out of proportion and highly exaggerated. What isn't is the bane of the game - disconnecting to avoid death and ghosting (and to a more severe degree but less frequency - hacking). By removing any threat of repercussions for doing this it is becoming the norm not the exception. DayZ staff do not have the resources to review and investigate every case of hacking or exploiting - so why the holy hell are they trying to do it. There is an amazing resource of mature and adult admins who are wanting and willing to host a clean server that goes by the rulebook - a desire that benefits the entire community. By not taking advantage of that they are making a massive managerial faux pas.

They are doing this because of a few bad apples that have been shouted on and on about as if shitty admins reign supreme, but that isn't the case. What they are doing is simply the inverse of what they are wanting to accomplish. They want to avoid admins banning someone unjustly, but instead they go around and let exploiters unjustly manipulate and ruin the gameplay for thousands of others while castigating admins for trying to perform a normal and classic function since time immemorial with respect to gaming.

It would be one thing if they had robust gameplay mechanics to stop the exploiting, and I continue to hear about the technical solution being so easy. If it is just a matter of coming up with a punishment mechanic then begin to experiment with each patch and get feedback. Instead DayZ devs are sitting on their hands as a problem eats at the very core of the experience while shatting upon the folks paying for the real estate to promote and play the mod. Very few admins and server hosts want to ban anybody for those are the very folks who populate and make their server a place to play.

DayZ can't even respond to blacklisting the locked servers, how can they ask admins to submit a support ticket to take action on a duper, ghoster, dc'er, or hacker. We all know nothing will ever happen with those tickets.

Frankly, the server that I co-admin and that our group pays for will probably not be renewed. We will be shutting down our server on Friday, the 20th in protest along with a number of other servers as recommended by jskibo. I hope more admins jump on board with this to help raise awareness of the schism being formed between the admins, developers, and players.

... and if a solution is forthcoming - or at least the experimentation thereof - a communique would be more than welcomed, but preferably a dialogue like has been done in the past.

I really don't think you understand that 1) this a mod 2) that mod relies on ARMA 2 3) ARMA 2 relies on BattlEye.

Do you have any possible idea how many accounts have been banned as a direct result of Day Z cheating? BattlEye IS doing its job, hackers just keep buying new copies of the game and deconstructing the newest patch/update. It's an inevitable cycle.

I guarentee that the REAL problems with hackers/cheaters/etc are NOT solvable by you or any logs you have. Let BattlEye do its job.

Straight script hacks are better taken care of by battle eye, I acknowledge that. However, DC'ers and exploiters are not handled by that, and yes, there are hacks that are not caught by battleye including various ESP hacks that are not script related (that battleye does not pick up). When a hacker begins to blow up your server, you want immediate action - not a three week wait for a battle eye update. We want to provide a solid place to game that people can make their home and good administration is a part of that.

Either way, we'll ban dupers, exploiters, DC'ers, and ghosters anyways. The mere threat of that will keep multitudes of players in line if it was DayZ wide. Losing access to your favorite server is a powerful incentive to play by the book.

This mentality of letting exploits go unfettered without recourse for legitimate players is mind boggling. Just to avoid the occassional accidental ban which can be appealed or they could choose from 3000 other servers. The people who are crying foul about letting admins police their server are the very ones taking advantage of every exploit possible and dont' want to face any consequences.

I know this is a mod of Arma 2, and that Arma 2 uses BattleEye. What you don't understand is that as long as Arma 2 has been around BattleEye has been utterly crap and the server admins have held the hordes of script hacks and abusive players at bay. I've been playing this series since OFP so I am well aware of how this works. It is you who I think is lacking a complete understanding of the flaws within the engine that make proper administration important.

Edited by SuperTuck

However, DC'ers and exploiters are not handled by that

Exploits are being patched all the time and DC'ers are just a part of the game right now. Similar to 3 minute "pass out" to deter DC'ers, other things are being worked on, I assure you.

yes, there are hacks that are not caught by battleye including various ESP hacks that are not script related (that battleye does not pick up).

Yeah, those are picked up and yes, they are banned. I know this for a fact. The reason they are still around is the same reason scripts are still around, people find loopholes in new patches/updates. BattlEye picks up A LOT more than just scripts...

When a hacker begins to blow up your server, you want immediate action - not a three week wait for a battle eye update. We want to provide a solid place to game that people can make their home and good administration is a part of that.

BattlEye has updated something like 3-5x in the last two weeks. As for immediate action, that will never happen. Not in this game or any other. No game is hack-proof.

What you don't understand is that as long as Arma 2 has been around BattleEye has been utterly crap and the server admins have held the hordes of script hacks and abusive players at bay. I've been playing this series since OFP so I am well aware of how this works. It is you who I think is lacking a complete understanding of the flaws within the engine that make proper administration important.

If you have been playing that long, then you already realize that this isn't a normal game, but a military simulator, and as such has exploits and issues that are not in other games because of the way it was put together and the purpose for which it was put together.

The bottom line: BattlEye IS doing its job. People are getting banned for scripts, ESP, etc. If you aren't happy with your perceived view of things, don't host/play. Not much else to say.

Edited by urbanfox

Well until they fix all matters, I mean do their job as you correctly mention, admins should be able to manage their servers so as to at least manually keep the environment of the game playable... I mean makes sense, they don't want to wait with hands down, they want to try and help as much as they can.

Peace

Edited by 0only1

If the dev team wants to run servers, let them pay to run servers.....

Friday July 20th US 193 and US 566 will be offline for 24 hours.

I will probably join in with mine as well.

I will probably join in with mine as well.

I will do the same. US 850 will be offline

This seems to be a limitation that HFBservers has imposed to prevent being blacklisted. As someone who has a dedicated server whitelisted by the Day Z team I have not received any notices as of late in regards to any policy changes.

I have a dedicated with a friend and I havent gotten the email either