rocket

Kicking of Players for Clan members

Say several people are pooling money to pay for a server' date=' would it be out of line to boot someone for one of them? Only asking because me a a few of my friends are thinking of hosting one.

[/quote']

It's not unreasonable to expect that, but it is against the TOA(Terms of Alpha lol!) That said, My buddies and I have never really had a problem getting into our server. They are usually full, but with a 5-10 min. wait we all get in. I could easily kick someone to make room but it ruins the fun for everyone. I would say just get a server. You shouldn't have problems getting you or your buddies in.

Thank god at least one game developer is taking a stand against this sort of tyrant-esque server adminship

While I agree that some admins abuse the ability to kick players, players do abuse the inability of admins to kick. There are many reasonable opinions on both sides of this here but I also see a lot of one-sided, entitled players posting. Yes, without the mod and license server admins wouldn't be able to host DayZ, but don't forget, without clans and admins paying THEIR OWN money for the server, there wouldn't be servers to play DayZ on.

I am sure with patience and understanding the teams on both sides can come up with a reasonable compromise so that those who pay their own hard earned money to host a server can at least reserve slots, and a way to track abusive admins to players aren't screwed as well.

For the record I am a member of an FPS clan that pays dues monthly so that we can have a good, up to date, and clean server. We've been around for years and never had complaints from players for admin abuse (except for the random hack that throws a fit just to be a troll). I would like to get my clan in on this game and possibly see us host a server in the near(ish) future, and I know we would look for something like this so our hard-earned money isn't wasted.

My advice, for some players. If you feel that you are privileged enough to demand that admins who pay money shouldn't have any rights on their own server, so you can play for free, then maybe you should put your money where your mouth is, face the hate, the punks, the trolls, and the children that think they have a right to abuse you while you pay your own money to give them a place to play. If you haven't been in that boat, then you've got little room to comment.

Wiped out a bandit clan that were camping NW airfield on their own server... I just got a gg and I'm still allowed to play there. :-)

Right on Spriggan, that's how it's supposed to be and how it is on a lot of servers. Gets tiresome with how some people generalize about how 'every' clan is. It's just not true, there are a lot of great gaming clans out there, especially the ones that have been around awhile.

Wait, what... This can't be right. So if a group of friends decides to pool their money together to actually rent an Arma2 server (they're quite expensive compared to other servers) then we don't have the 'right' to get the people on it (who pay and spend time to maintain the server)? This is kinda rediculous.

I know Rocket doesn't have the funds to host all the DayZ servers, but this is just bad manner towards the admins and other people who spend time and money on these servers.

I was almost ready to start my request to rent a server, but now I doubt I will.

I'm trying to get a server going because I was told all I needed to do was get a server that had DayZ Auto-install available on it. Then I find out you have to wait in line to be "chosen". It has been over a week of waiting. This is definitely ridiculous.

Team DayZ doesn't seem to realize they are just making a mod. They have no say what so ever how you run your own server. This is a mod and not an actual game. Arma 2 is the game. If the owners of Arma 2 (Developer Bohemia Interactive Studio; Publishers 505 Games (Europe), Got Game Entertainment (North America), and Designer Ivan Buchta) wanted the rules of hosting set that way, they would make it so. But Team DayZ does not own Arma 2 and can not enforce rules for a game they do not own. Team DayZ CAN NOT LEGALLY TELL A SERVER ADMIN WHAT TO DO WITH HIS/HER OWN SERVER. I've looked into this. Because Admins/Server Owners pay the bills, no one but them can make the rules for that server, and if a third party (Team DayZ) try to, it is denial of service by proxy. That is, we are not being allowed to play a legitimate copyrighted game on a server we have payed for (even though the server is sitting there waiting to be used) because the third party has blocked access. This is illegal.

We as server admins and potential server admins need to make a stand.

If I'm paying MY OWN MONEY for a server, no one is going to tell me what I can and can not do in it. It's my server. I will kick for my friends, I will kick for myself, I will kick for high ping and I will kick assholes.

And someone said DayZ wouldn't be losing servers, apparently he doesn't read the posts. I have seen at least 20 other people change there minds about hosting a server, and if my server isn't set up with in the next 24hrs, I'm canceling my order and getting a refund to say the least.

I'm trying to get a server going because I was told all I needed to do was get a server that had DayZ Auto-install available on it. Then I find out you have to wait in line to be "chosen". It has been over a week of waiting. This is definitely ridiculous.

Team DayZ doesn't seem to realize they are just making a mod. They have no say what so ever how you run your own server. This is a mod and not an actual game. Arma 2 is the game. If the owners of Arma 2 (Developer Bohemia Interactive Studio; Publishers 505 Games (Europe)' date=' Got Game Entertainment (North America), and Designer Ivan Buchta) wanted the rules of hosting set that way, they would make it so. But Team DayZ does not own Arma 2 and can not enforce rules for a game they do not own. Team DayZ CAN NOT LEGALLY TELL A SERVER ADMIN WHAT TO DO WITH HIS/HER OWN SERVER. I've looked into this. Because Admins/Server Owners pay the bills, no one but them can make the rules for that server, and if a third party (Team DayZ) try to, it is denial of service by proxy. That is, we are not being allowed to play a legitimate copyrighted game on a server we have payed for (even though the server is sitting there waiting to be used) because the third party has blocked access. This is illegal.

If I'm paying MY OWN MONEY for a server, no one is going to tell me what I can and can not do in it. It's my server. I will kick for my friends, I will kick for myself, I will kick for high ping and I will kick assholes.

And someone said DayZ wouldn't be losing servers, apparently he doesn't read the posts. I have seen at least 20 other people change there minds about hosting a server, and if my server isn't set up with in the next 24hrs, I'm canceling my order and getting a refund to say the least.

[/quote']

then your server will be black listed from the hive

they dont have legal right to tell you what to do with your server

they do however have legal right to disallow you access to theyre server which in turn makes yours run the game properly and save items etc LOL

Team DayZ doesn't seem to realize they are just making a mod. They have no say what so ever how you run your own server. This is a mod and not an actual game. Arma 2 is the game. If the owners of Arma 2 (Developer Bohemia Interactive Studio; Publishers 505 Games (Europe)' date=' Got Game Entertainment (North America), and Designer Ivan Buchta) wanted the rules of hosting set that way, they would make it so. But Team DayZ does not own Arma 2 and can not enforce rules for a game they do not own. Team DayZ CAN NOT LEGALLY TELL A SERVER ADMIN WHAT TO DO WITH HIS/HER OWN SERVER. I've looked into this. Because Admins/Server Owners pay the bills, no one but them can make the rules for that server, and if a third party (Team DayZ) try to, it is denial of service by proxy. That is, we are not being allowed to play a legitimate copyrighted game on a server we have payed for (even though the server is sitting there waiting to be used) because the third party has blocked access. This is illegal.

[/quote']

With this kind of attitude you won't ever get to Host a dayz server and im glad. Also you should get your facts right before making an idiot out of yourself with this post.

[/quote']

The word asshole springs to mind. If you don't like it, don't host it, get over it already.

If admins were allowed to kick who they like then you'd them kicking anyone who kills them so they can get back to their gear etc. Only allowing friends on their servers etc - it completely ruins the game, especially if you have people on these "carebear" servers gaining all this awesome loot, then logging into a public server and just sniping noobs for lols.

I'm glad things are the way they are - however.. I do think reserved slots would be nice, that way server admins could make a bit of money to help cover costs by selling access to reserved slots or alternatively just using them for clan members etc

[/quote']

You don't even realise how much you're embarrassing yourself, do you?

Pretty simple: Rocket owns the code, so he makes the rules. If you don't like it you can do nothing about it. I guess you can hold your breath. LOL

He has a point though. DayZ community is in desperate need of more servers. Being BM towards server-admins will only result in less servers.

And for the record: I'm not talking about kicking people because they shot me and/or said something I don't agree with. If I was willing to pay for a server, I'd atleast be allowed to lock slots for me and my friends (who would also pay their share).

He has a point though. DayZ community is in desperate need of more servers. Being BM towards server-admins will only result in less servers.

And for the record: I'm not talking about kicking people because they shot me and/or said something I don't agree with. If I was willing to pay for a server' date=' I'd atleast be allowed to lock slots for me and my friends (who would also pay their share).

[/quote']

Reserved slots I totally agree with, lack of servers at the moment too. However I think there are a lot of people willing to host servers too - myself included, I email the dev team 10 days ago with no response so far, I can only assume they have so many requests that they simply don't have the time to deal with or something, who knows.

Ummmm you know that DayZ will be a stand alone game one of these days. Its a fact and if not a full game then an expansion. My community is all behind Dayz. Honestly the best zombie sim to date. Noting comes near it and the pvp element is such an idea; I wonder why I never came up with the idea, but hey, that's why I play games and not make em.

Don't worry devs. You got alot of players supporting you but you won't need me to tell you that :)

i think a good system would be allow 25% of the server slots to be reserved, so you rent a 20 player server you can have 5 reserved spots for your clan, get, a 50 player you are allowed 12

i think a good system would be allow 25% of the server slots to be reserved' date=' so you rent a 20 player server you can have 5 reserved spots for your clan, get, a 50 player you are allowed 12

[/quote']

Who would police it, and how would it be policed? Rocket and his gang aren't getting paid to do this. They don't have a support team to pour over logs. They have to do it themselves. Which most likely leaves little time for them to enjoy the game past the creation process.

Here's an example of why it would break:

20 man server: 15 non clan members 5 clan members online. Are you considering that the 5 members online are taking up those slots? Is it possible some dodgy person out there might say, my 5 clan members are not taking up reserved slots :P so KICK 5 of the non-clan members. "We're kicking you for our 5 reserved slots!"

The issue is abuse of that system. A system which Rocket said they tried it, and it failed.

Originally we trialed allowing servers to kick out players who had either donated money or were clan members of the owner' date=' to allow space for someone else. Abuse of this became RAMPANT.[/color']

People aren't realizing that the biggest issue with reserved slots is that when they AREN'T in use, you're always going to have empty slots. There will be servers whose user numbers look like this (if it were officially implemented):

Serv#001 - Users (45/50; Reserved 0/5)

Serv#002 - Users (45/50; Reserved 0/5)

Serv#003 - Users (45/50; Reserved 0/5)

Serv#004 - Users (45/50; Reserved 0/5)

Serv#005 - Users (45/50; Reserved 0/5)

At this point, you've wasted half a server's space in unused reserved slots, with as many "clan servers" as there are, this would probably amount to at least several hundred users unable to log in to servers that HAVE SPACE. As many have already stated, we're in need of MORE server space to accommodate the influx of players, both new to ArmA2 and current ArmA2 players just now familiarizing themselves with DayZ.

There is also no pleasant, fluid way of balancing this against fair usage either. Some might say, "Well, regular users can take the reserved slots until someone on a clan list logs in!", but that's no different than being kicked for a clan member. If you gave them a 3~5 minute grace period to log off, that's no different than having your clan member wait a few minutes to free up a slot on its own, so why have the additional overhead of managing a reserved slot system?

As this is Alpha, and as rocket has stated, server administrators are essentially DONATING server usage to the project. It is purely voluntary. Since this forum is fond of using terrible analogies, here's another one -- When you donate your time to a charity for a fund raiser, food drive, etc., you still have to abide by their rules. You still pay for your own transportation to and from the site. You sometimes have to pay for your own meals during the event. If there are shifts, you still have to abide by the shifts set out for you. The only difference between this and a job is that you are FREE TO WALK AWAY at ANY time. Additionally, if you violate the terms set by the people whose time you're lending yourself to, they can ask you to leave just as easily and with no fault to themselves.

The same is true here. The rules were outlined for all administrators when they applied for access to the central hive to run DayZ on their servers. If they choose that these parameters are not to their liking, they are free to walk away and let someone who isn't selfish donate. Plenty of administrators are already doing it solely for the community and so they can take pride in the fact they're contributing significantly to the development of this project. Who knows? Rocket might even give a special thanks in the mod credits to all the server administrators who've helped in alpha (and potentially beta/rc) that weren't complete twats about the whole thing. So yes, it is YOUR server. You can do whatever you want with it as long as it is WITHIN THE PARAMETERS of the agreement YOU agreed to. If not, you can take your server and walk away, or they can ask you to leave (and blacklist your server from being searched and from accessing the central database).

Aside: Server admins being selfish and arrogant about server usage are the people who are contributing to the reasons why releasing a private version of the central hive might be a bad idea. Someone mentioned that having a private version, unlinked from the main, public servers we all currently connect to would solve the issue of clans wishing to play only among themselves without disturbing the integrity of the public environment. While true, rocket has also stated that some enterprising jackasses would simply take the server files and learn how to deconstruct them for the purposes of hacking the main, public servers. In fact, rocket has already been burned letting someone have access to these files to concurrently develop a single-player version, in which hackers developed their methods to attack the public multi-player servers. Private hives are probably not on the horizon for a very long time either.

TL;DR -

* It IS a privilege to have access to the central hive which is NOT run by users. It's run by the devs.

* Reserving slots creates LESS space for the public in the end, as reserved slots will not always be full.

* While it is YOUR server, you are DONATING its use to the development of this project; as such, if you do not like the terms, you can walk away and if you violate them, you can be made to leave.

* It is NOT a debate. Your tears power rocket's tear-fed kiwi development engine. More tears make stronger zeds.

Storm that's not how reserved slots work. You don't decide what slot to log into, the server has a list of VIP members and those slots are filled first. Also the assertion that those slots would always be empty, resulting in servers that are 45/50 0/5 is also false. I've been gaming online with a gaming clan for years, and this is never the case with servers that have reserve slots. If a server is so unpopular that they can't even get 5 VIPs in all the time, they are not going to be full of pubs either.

What about the servers where they restart outside of thier posted restart times and suddenly are refilled by mambers of the clan? Isnt this the same.

For example, a group of us were playing on Atlanta 35 today. Server restarted and several clan memebrs joined all at once.

The other thing weve seen several times is and admin gets killed and suddenly everyone is kicked and ther server is locked with one player.

For all you admins that want to start whinning about "we paid for it", your tears get no sympathy. You agreed to the rules Rocket and team have set down so you could host the server. Just because your group is paying for the server doesnt mean you get to change those rules how you see fit.

I don't think you guys are understanding this. The servers that these guys are paying for, have PERMISSION and are PRIVELAGED by the DayZ team to play the game mode on that server. Also, it is used on the team's database.

Even if the admins still have the right do what they want on the server.. THEY STILL SHOULDN'T DO IT!! It's unfair to restart the whole server just because they were stupid, and lost all of their stuff. They should still play the game like the rest of us. Work for their gear. And not WHINE like little kids, and just restart the server like nothing happened. They need to work for their gear like the rest of us.

THAT is why there are rules for this game mode. So much can be abused.

I want to say that I have already seen this comment but it is worth mentioning again, if you buy and or rent a server for Arma2 that has nothing to do with the DayZ mod. You can play and administer your Arma2 server however Bohemia regulates you to do so.

However, you did not PAY for DayZ and, Rocket has been nice enough to let you use it while he develops it without cost to you. You own no rights to DayZ use or control.

Localized databases would solve this problem. Of course then 90% of your playerbase would move to private servers because they're actually fun to play on. "Paying is a privilege" is the most absurd thing I've seen posted in this thread to be honest, how would you like if you paid for a car but the dealer dictated where you could drive it, what streets you could drive on, the mechanic you used, and who you could allow to ride in it? Rocket, in all honestly I love the work you've done on the mod, but you're being really stubborn about some serious "common-sense" shit and it's pretty stupid. Keep up the good work, I like where the mod is going, even if the current server system is retarded.

Localized databases would solve this problem. Of course then 90% of your playerbase would move to private servers because they're actually fun to play on. "Paying is a privilege" is the most absurd thing I've seen posted in this thread to be honest' date=' how would you like if you paid for a car but the dealer dictated where you could drive it, what streets you could drive on, the mechanic you used, and who you could allow to ride in it? Rocket, in all honestly I love the work you've done on the mod, but you're being really stubborn about some serious "common-sense" shit and it's pretty stupid. Keep up the good work, I like where the mod is going, even if the current server system is retarded.

[/quote']

I bought a car that can travel over 100mph. Before I paid for it I knew the rules that limited me to 65mph. So by your logic, even though I knew the rules and agreed to them I shouldnt have to follow them since I paid money I can drive as fast as I want whenever I want. The absurd thing to me is those that believe that once they agree to terms of use they can ignore them because they want to.

Zitat

I agree with you

Localized databases would solve this problem. Of course then 90% of your playerbase would move to private servers because they're actually fun to play on. "Paying is a privilege" is the most absurd thing I've seen posted in this thread to be honest' date=' how would you like if you paid for a car but the dealer dictated where you could drive it, what streets you could drive on, the mechanic you used, and who you could allow to ride in it? Rocket, in all honestly I love the work you've done on the mod, but you're being really stubborn about some serious "common-sense" shit and it's pretty stupid. Keep up the good work, I like where the mod is going, even if the current server system is retarded.

[/quote']

I bought a car that can travel over 100mph. Before I paid for it I knew the rules that limited me to 65mph. So by your logic, even though I knew the rules and agreed to them I shouldnt have to follow them since I paid money I can drive as fast as I want whenever I want. The absurd thing to me is those that believe that once they agree to terms of use they can ignore them because they want to.

Zitat

If I'm paying MY OWN MONEY for a server' date=' no one is going to tell me what I can and can not do in it. It's my server. I will kick for my friends, I will kick for myself, I will kick for high ping and I will kick assholes.

I agree with you

[/quote']

Then your not welcome to host.

Plain and simple, Tears to be subjected into the suggestion box ;)