TractorFiend

L85A2 gone, snipers will reign supreme

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=32371&pid=285485#pid285485

"ALL the weapons out of the game are glitches because I cut too deep with the classname removals.

This will be fixed for future hotfix in the week."

--Rocket

Excellent.

Although, good discussion on game balance. It's obvious who does the sniping, and who was happy that they could go on killing people in treelines ghillied up with no worries about being spotted. :D

Still' date=' need some sort of anti-sniper gear/weapon. I think as an addition to nightvision goggles, thermal/heat vision could also be an option as a counter balance.

[/quote']

There are already a loot of 'anti-sniper gear/weapons's in the mod.

They are called guns and melee weapons.

Coupled with common sense and some planning they are very very effective.

All thermal scopes and NVGs should be removed. They are simply a crutch for players focused towards a PvP playstyle and are more at home in something like CoD or BF. This makes nighttime play and ALL play more about using your brain to utilise the tools you have available to stay alive. If your getting killed you need to change you approach, not nerf the game to suit your playstyle.

It like a lot of players think "I have the biggest gun, I win", Nope. The guy with the planning and a bit of luck walks out alive most of the time.

A friend of mine & myself took on three geared snipers/campers at nighttime and won. We only had 1 Hatchet, a bicycle and flares between us. Why did we succeed? Because our plan was better than theirs, and we had a added bit of luck from a random survivor running about like a bellend which helped us spot the third snipers location. (cheers whoever that was btw.)

simple solution. get rid of ALL snipers, and ghullie suits.

this is a fucking SURVIVAL HORROR mod, not a WW3 mod FFS.

having snipers defeats the entire purpose of the game. ppl will hide in the forest for all eternity watching one spot, never neading to go out to actually SURVIVE. ud mind as well go in ur room untill a damn fly lands on ur wall and hit it with a shoe, because thats exactly what all snipers are doing. get rid of that aspect of the game.

• Like 1

It's obvious who does the sniping' date=' and who was happy that they could go on killing people in treelines ghillied up with no worries about being spotted. :D

[/quote']

it's obvious who isn't capable of an adult discussion.

Swipe treeline with thermal, switch to AS50, boom.

Little op, maybe.

How was it OP?

It was used for spotting only' date=' some ppl was teaming up, one sniper one spotter, thats fair, Teamwork should result in rewards.....

But ofc, Having a ghillie suit and a sniper killing ppl in cherno and elektro without ANY chance to find you is not op, Oh i love the irony

[/quote']

Ghillie suits are gone along with L85's. Don't be fucking lazy.

Stay in tree lines don't run in the open, keep buildings or hills between you and potential camp spots, scout out prime sniper locations with binos before doing anything, utilize smoke, flank, distract, use a sniper rifle yourself to counter snipe, plan your routes carefully.

THIS.

To be perfectly honest if your only sniper counter-measures is a thermal scope you really need to up your game. And use your brain.

I'll give you one tip to help you learn to counter snipers without being a lazy fucker.

*TIP*: Snipers are looking for the zeds around you. Use a distraction as most of the bushwookies will hit the floor and start scoping the area they can see the zeds by. So use that time to scope/binoc for them as they will most likely be stationary for this time

Theres a LOT you can do to counter snipers without needing such a crutch. By your logic a single sniper could have won WWI.

This isn't WWI, it's a mod in alpha.

Snipers that are prone, hiding, seeing the zombies spawn, if they have RF, they generally don't miss you. So being able to have a look around the area of a town before you enter makes for a bit more balance. Instead now, we're going to have server hopping camping ghillie suited asshole griefer snipers shooting people and not even looting them, with nobody to stop them.

I get the whole thing that if they miss, you can hide away, use smoke grenades, go around cover etc, or log out, jump on another server and carry on. But that's not the point. It wasn't a crutch, it was a tool to spot assholes and avoid them.

Nice way to focus on one comment and totally miss the point.

If they are getting a shot on you that often you are responsible to being too sloppy.

When you think they are there why the hell are you just walking in and letting them get the time to line up the shot? As the other guy said, stop being lazy and take the time to flush the snipers out before running down the street begging for a bullet.

I really don't understand the debate.

If the L85 is a powerful tool for survival, get one. Find one at a helicopter crash or find someone who has one and chew their windpipe out with your teeth and the take the goddamn thing while they choke on their own bloody vomit.

What's the problem?

I don't understand why it's taking so long for you people to come around to the notion that maybe this game isn't meant to be perfectly well-balanced in favor of all possible styles of play, items, load-outs, team configurations, and dietary needs.

Certain combinations of certain weapons are going to confer a strategic advantage over your opponents. Long-ranged weapons will allow you to attack from long range. Camouflage equipment will permit you to camouflage yourself. Vehicles permit travel at rates far greater than foot. And, yes, maybe having someone in your group of friends (you do have friends in the game by now, right? You're not engaging in a discussion about high-end weaponry when you haven't even taken the step of making a couple friends in the game to watch your back, right?) who carries an L85 maybe might be a good goddamn idea. Maybe even required for long term, consistent success?

Maybe that's okay?

Maybe it's not so bad that you need to get off your lazy asses and get the fuck out there and find one if you think it's so important and critical to your success in the game.

"Oh, no. It's really powerful. Better take it out."

Like, okay, if we follow that rationale to it's logical conclusion we're all going to be riding around on fucking unicycles shooting each other with slingshots.

The gun is good.

Okay.

Established.

Now go get it and put it to good use, you whimpering lack-wits.

• Like 5

simple solution. get rid of ALL snipers' date=' and ghullie suits.

this is a fucking SURVIVAL HORROR mod, not a WW3 mod FFS.

having snipers defeats the entire purpose of the game. ppl will hide in the forest for all eternity watching one spot, never neading to go out to actually SURVIVE. ud mind as well go in ur room untill a damn fly lands on ur wall and hit it with a shoe, because thats exactly what all snipers are doing. get rid of that aspect of the game.

[/quote']

It is survival/horror/pvp. Rocket said in a interview just yesterday he isnt going to punish banditry and isnt going to punish people that camp elektro and cherno with snipers picking off fresh survivors. He said if you don't like it happening on your server go do something about it like kill them.

I can provide you the link if you like.

I don't have time to find and link it on here, using phone to post. But rocket confirmed item removal was an accidental side effect of harsher anti hacking measures. Should be hot fixed within the week. If you look through his posts you can find it.

If the L85 is a powerful tool for survival' date=' get one. Find one at a helicopter crash or find someone who has them and chew their windpipe out with your teeth and the take the goddamn thing while they choke on their own bloody vomit.

What's the problem?

I don't understand why it's taking so long for you people to come around to the notion that maybe this game isn't meant to be perfectly well-balanced in favor of all possible styles of play, items, load-outs, team configurations, and dietary needs.

Certain combinations of certain weapons are going to confer a strategic advantage over your opponents. Long ranged weapons will allow you to attack from long range. Camouflage equipment will permit you to camouflage yourself. Vehicles permit travel at rates far greater than foot. And, yes, maybe having someone in your group of friends (you do have friends in the game by now, right? You're not engaging in a discussion about high-end weaponry when you haven't even taken the step of making a couple friends in the game to watch your back, right?) who carries an L85 maybe might be a good goddamn idea. Maybe even required for long term, consistent success?

Maybe that's okay?

Maybe it's not so bad that you need to get off your lazy asses and get the fuck out there and find one if you think it's so important and critical to your success in the game.

Like, okay, if we follow that rationale to it's logical conclusion we're all going to be riding around on fucking unicycles shooting each other with slingshots.

The gun is good.

Okay.

Established.

[/quote']

Not to sound like an asskisser, but yet another quality Zed post.

Oh, my lovely L85, I just want to say it was great hanging out with you. You opened my eyes and I saw things with you that I would have missed. Even though we were together for 6 days, it felt like 6 months. Sure, you could not hit anything a distance away, but seeing the world in red yellow and white made the difference. Next time I log on, you will be gone.

Alright time to bring a bit of the fear back and re-adjust.

Let's do this!

Now all we need is to get rid of NVG's and then the darkness will shed some light as in flashlights/flares/chems.

So this patch removed my L85A2 from my characters main weapon slot.. What is this shit? Removing weapons that players have risked themselves to get? Why? Carebear poofters having a moan? Screw this.

So this patch removed my L85A2 from my characters main weapon slot.. What is this shit? Removing weapons that players have risked themselves to get? Why? Carebear poofters having a moan? Screw this.

it wasnt removed on purpose it was a accident because of new anti-hacking features.

There will be a fix but you probably lost the gun.

This thread is just for people to complain cause they are to lazy to Click on Rockets profile and read all his recent posts saying the reason why some guns are gone.

This thread is just for people to complain cause they are to lazy to Click on Rockets profile and read all his recent posts saying the reason why some guns are gone.

Honestly, we shouldn't really have to do that... an announcement on the 'announcement' forums would suffice.

But, that's just a minor complaint of mine. At least something's been said at all.

I've never found a ghillie suit' date=' range finder or gps. Although I've found 3 L85A2's, 2 NVG's, sever different types of sniper rifles and I find 3 vehicles per day.

Spawn chances are that, chance. I got lucky with the thermal scoped gun, but that's been shit on now. HF snipers with your range finders. I'm sure I'll get killed by you soon.

Can we all stop pretending that snipers are not the main group of people who use these things.

Who's pretending what now?

I'm saying that this gun was the Anti-sniper weapon of choice. You had the chance to see them before they can get the drop on you. Balance.

Sorry I didn't realize snipers were not allowed to use them also, because you know something can't be "anti-sniper" if its also a very useful tool for the snipers.

If the L85 is a powerful tool for survival' date=' get one. Find one at a helicopter crash or find someone who has one and chew their windpipe out with your teeth and the take the goddamn thing while they choke on their own bloody vomit.

What's the problem?

Certain combinations of certain weapons are going to confer a strategic advantage over your opponents. Long-ranged weapons will allow you to attack from long range. Camouflage equipment will permit you to camouflage yourself. Vehicles permit travel at rates far greater than foot. And, yes, maybe having someone in your group of friends (you do have friends in the game by now, right? You're not engaging in a discussion about high-end weaponry when you haven't even taken the step of making a couple friends in the game to watch your back, right?) who carries an L85 maybe might be a good goddamn idea. Maybe even required for long term, consistent success?

Maybe that's okay?

The gun is good.

Okay.

Established.

[/quote']

Did you not read the title of the thread? It was removed from the game. Initially I thought it was because some people were moaning about it being too OP, which is bullshit.

What a mong. If you "Really don't understand the debate", don't post belittling everyone you fucktard.

Did you not read the title of the thread? It was removed from the game. Initially I thought it was because some people were moaning about it being too OP' date=' which is bullshit.

What a mong. If you "Really don't understand the debate", don't post belittling everyone you fucktard.

[/quote']

I think he's referring to those who are crying it's OP and don't want it added back in.

So you may want to watch your language, if you don't even understand the thread.

If the L85 is a powerful tool for survival' date=' get one. Find one at a helicopter crash or find someone who has them and chew their windpipe out with your teeth and the take the goddamn thing while they choke on their own bloody vomit.

What's the problem?

Certain combinations of certain weapons are going to confer a strategic advantage over your opponents. Long ranged weapons will allow you to attack from long range. Camouflage equipment will permit you to camouflage yourself. Vehicles permit travel at rates far greater than foot. And, yes, maybe having someone in your group of friends (you do have friends in the game by now, right? You're not engaging in a discussion about high-end weaponry when you haven't even taken the step of making a couple friends in the game to watch your back, right?) who carries an L85 maybe might be a good goddamn idea. Maybe even required for long term, consistent success?

Maybe that's okay?

The gun is good.

Okay.

Established.

Now go get it and put it to good use, [b']you whimpering lack-wits.

Not to sound like an asskisser, but yet another quality Zed post.

qft.

Did you not read the title of the thread? It was removed from the game. Initially I thought it was because some people were moaning about it being too OP' date=' which is bullshit.

What a mong.

[/quote']

I think he's referring to those who are crying it's OP and don't want it added back in.

Well that would make sense.

Sorry, but there is no reason for these types of weapons to be in this game. I have not logged in yet, but I know when I do, my L85 will be gone. Oh well. If NVG's would ever be removed, think how interesting the dynamics would be if we ALL had to rely on a light source to get around. That would be amazing IMHO.

• Like 2

Sorry' date=' but there is no reason for these types of weapons to be in this game. I have not logged in yet, but I know when I do, my L85 will be gone. Oh well. If NVG's would ever be removed, think how interesting the dynamics would be if we ALL had to rely on a light source to get around. That would be amazing IMHO.

[/quote']

It will be gone. But the L85 has not been removed from the game.

How was it OP?

It was used for spotting only' date=' some ppl was teaming up, one sniper one spotter, thats fair, Teamwork should result in rewards.....

But ofc, Having a ghillie suit and a sniper killing ppl in cherno and elektro without ANY chance to find you is not op, Oh i love the irony

[/quote']

Do you guys realize how the Arma2 engine works for draw distance? From your persective you may be laying in the grass with a ghillie suit on, seemingly hidden. However, from a distance, distant players only see the grass drawn in their OWN close proximity. From a distance the grass is not drawn. So, the ghillie suit who thinks he is hidden 400 meters away is actually laying there on a bald hillside with no grass from the distant perspective. The ghillie suit actually stands out MORE at distance because it has a larger outline.

How was it OP?

[/quote']

Do you guys realize how the Arma2 engine works for draw distance? From your persective you may be laying in the grass with a ghillie suit on, seemingly hidden. However, from a distance, distant players only see the grass drawn in their OWN close proximity. From a distance the grass is not drawn. So, the ghillie suit who thinks he is hidden 400 meters away is actually laying there on a bald hillside with no grass from the distant perspective. The ghillie suit actually stands out MORE at distance because it has a larger outline.

Incorrect. Search any video on the matter. If you are in the grass from your perspective, you will be sunken into the grass from any distance.

Umm how are ghillie suits gone? They're bugged atm but far from gone.

Do you actually know that a ghillie sniper camping in a tree line laying fully prone is practically impossible to see? Your logic is flawed because at the end of the day you still need to expose yourself to loot the tents at Stary' date=' and the hangers at airfields.

Either get rid of ghillie suits or bring L85's back.

[/quote']

And ghillie suites are bugged like L85's, in-fact Rocket said he might remove Ghillie suites until he can implement them without the messy system currently used to equip them. L85's and ghillies might come back in the hotfix but as it stands both are currently out of the game in 1.7.2

And yeah, I do know what a ghillie sniper in a bush looks like -- I kill people in ghillie suites on a daily basis. Start learning some observation skills and using your brain a bit more. You'll also recognise that ghillie suites do not work on all grass / trees / bushes so keep that in mind for spotting people.

It's really not as hard as you're making it out to be if you take precautions to actually limit the effectiveness of a sniper by planning your route better.

I don't think L85's should be removed AFTER being implemented into the game (albeit without thinking they would be duped). However -- they never should have been added in the first place. You can see people out to the max draw distance within about 1/2 a second, they glow up as bright white on a red background it's absolutely ridiculous. A monkey could operate one.

Start learning some bushcraft skills, it might help you a bit. Real world snipers use a figure of 8 motion when observing terrain with binocs to spot other snipers -- It works.