Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

Most of you forgot that zeds have become a less problem than players so a lot of players weren't even afraid of zeds and focused on players. Now zeds will be a danger and maybe could make players play more in a team.

The problem I see is for new players to get loot because they don't really have experience and will cause aggro everytime they try to get loot. This is just a theory but we'll see the next days how it works.

FFS' date=' if you can see an Infected why shouldnt they see you? Is this Rocketitis Infection somehow supposed to make them blind, deaf and stupid? I just thought it turned them into ravenous cannibals. For true authenticity as soon as you stepped out of the treeline into plain view 50 Zeds should come screaming up the hill to you.

Rocket has said that the sight is based on probablility meaning the longer you are in their sight range the more chance they have of seeing you. He even suggested moving quickly out of their LOS rather than crawling in front of them.

Having Zeds not see you as you crawled 5m away from them was ridiculous to anyone with a notion of realism. I dont think Rocket wants to make this game easy - he wants to screw with our minds.

[/quote']

As states they are decaying animated corpse. One of the first thing to go is the eyes. How can anyone think that a 3 day old dead corpse is going to see as well as a fully functioning healthy person. The idea is silly. I agree agro needs tweaking but neither nerfing nor overpowering. I'm all for realism but not some skewed version based on non-scientific thinking. Not flaming here just saying if you really think about it mindless zombies spotting you from across a field and distinguishing you from other zeds is realistic. If anything they would be picking you up based on smell more than anything.

A little bit of a correction here..

They aren't Rotting Zombies. They're 28-days later rage infected. So, they're still living. But apparently life for the infected is good. Despite their change in dietary requirements they seem to have become super human.

So went to sleep while "creating char" was a issue and got a true wake up this morning.

1. Visual=Very very confusing, why?

-suposed lower number was good, as in how far away to be spotted..

-crouch in grass gave 51 while prone gave 525!!

( gonna try more to verify, could have just bugged)

Requests clarifikation on this thing.

2. At first i thought zeds bugged since 1 of 5 saw me, then noticed it was only the one turned direcly towards me, even if very very far away.. Barerly saw them myself.

-yay for survival against zeds again.

-NOT running indoors

-SEEMS like they are easier to loose now after patch

-Still walks through shelfs in supermarket

3. Where is all cans and bottles?

-went through school, bar, supermarket and firestation, not a single loot of any kind 'cept a Alice pack at station.

So used to rubbish all over i now felt weird seing nothing anywhere, not even dumped outside.

4. Sat in electro bar watching supermarket, saw a survivor running to shop with train of zeds, enter, get into corner... did the relog magic on zeds. Naturally i gave him a head-pill with my gun upon logging back.

-Request=let zeds stay when someone dc's

This was my first 30 minutes of 1.7.2

Now Im leaving Electro for relative safety in forrests and barns.

FFS' date=' if you can see an Infected why shouldnt they see you? Is this Rocketitis Infection somehow supposed to make them blind, deaf and stupid? I just thought it turned them into ravenous cannibals. For true authenticity as soon as you stepped out of the treeline into plain view 50 Zeds should come screaming up the hill to you.

Rocket has said that the sight is based on probablility meaning the longer you are in their sight range the more chance they have of seeing you. He even suggested moving quickly out of their LOS rather than crawling in front of them.

Having Zeds not see you as you crawled 5m away from them was ridiculous to anyone with a notion of realism. I dont think Rocket wants to make this game easy - he wants to screw with our minds.

[/quote']

As states they are decaying animated corpse. One of the first thing to go is the eyes. How can anyone think that a 3 day old dead corpse is going to see as well as a fully functioning healthy person. The idea is silly. I agree agro needs tweaking but neither nerfing nor overpowering. I'm all for realism but not some skewed version based on non-scientific thinking. Not flaming here just saying if you really think about it mindless zombies spotting you from across a field and distinguishing you from other zeds iis not realistic at all. If anything they would be picking you up based on smell more than anything.

After a while i think the Infected will lose speed, hearing and sight, after all Rocket wants to put an aging cycle on them. At the moment think of them as peak Infected - surely they cant get better than this?

To me i would just figure if i can see them moving about with the naked eye then there is a chance they can see me.

Most of you forgot that zeds have become a less problem than players so a lot of players weren't even afraid of zeds and focused on players. Now zeds will be a danger and maybe could make players play more in a team.

The problem I see is for new players to get loot because they don't really have experience and will cause aggro everytime they try to get loot. This is just a theory but we'll see the next days how it works.

Zed's a problem? Not from my well stocked forest fortress surrounded by bear traps.

:cool:

[/quote']

Hate my phone. Not classic zeds then. Regardless if they are not intellegent enough to drive cars and hold jobs how are they going to distinguish you from another zed at long distances?

Well then they are not really zombies in the classical sense. Reguardless they are not intelligent enough to be driving cars and holding jobs how are they going to distinguish you from another zed across a field? Otherwise why are they not all attacking one another when spotted at such distances?

As states they are decaying animated corpse. One of the first thing to go is the eyes. How can anyone think that a 3 day old dead corpse is going to see as well as a fully functioning healthy person. The idea is silly. I agree agro needs tweaking but neither nerfing nor overpowering. I'm all for realism but not some skewed version based on non-scientific thinking. Not flaming here just saying if you really think about it mindless zombies spotting you from across a field and distinguishing you from other zeds is realistic. If anything they would be picking you up based on smell more than anything.

A little bit of a correction here..

They aren't Rotting Zombies. They're 28-days later rage infected. So, they're still living. But apparently life for the infected is good. Despite their change in dietary requirements they seem to have become super human.

Zombie aggro appears to be unavoidable now, regardless of how stealthy one tries to be. I don't see any way to get a weapon now, besides sheer luck.

I can handle everything about the update except for the latency and De-sync that causes the game to be completely unplayable, especially with someone else or in a vehicle.

Z's visual range is a bit crazy, but we handled them ok (with AKs. Might have sucked a bit more with starter gear). They do appear to deal somewhat less damage and bleeding might happen a bit less often.

One thing was a bit strange -- when we entered a barn there were at most 3 z's in the vicinity. We triggered them and took them out from the 3rd floor as they came up the stairs. By the time it was over there there were more than 25 dead. Where did they come from? I don't know if they run in buildings, but they definitely were only walking up the stairs.

Overall things aren't too far off from what they should be. Maybe a small adjustment to the coefficients of the exponential visual function.

i had a L85A2 AWS before the patch. after installing the patch and logging in i had it no longer in my inventory and had my pistol in my hands (i logged out with the rifle equipped). i pressed the key to switch from pistol to mainweapon and i saw the name (L85A2 AWS) in the top right corner of my screen, along with its ammunition. but i didnt see the weapon anywhere. i switched to pistol but could not use it (could not shoot or aim). had to drop the pistol to use it again. my L85A2 AWS remains gone. wtf happened?! any idea anyone?

i just read it got disabled/removed? wow thats great! i was hoping for that to actually happen because the thermal scope is just plain imba! i do not even care i lost mine now.. but still, it actually would have been nice if the one i had equipped would have changed to an m4 or anything i could use actually.

My experience tonight through several hours of gameplay.

1) Zeds can run up hills but I can still lose them after a while if I keep zig zagging and ducking into tree lines

2) Zeds do not seem to be running indoors.

3) I seem to be fine prone-ing around but kneeling is drawing way more aggroing and running is (if it wasn't already) way out of the question anywhere near a town.

I'm enjoying feeling some more fear from the zeds, but they don't feel any less buggy. As to the gear: a server ate all my gear recently. Screw it. That is not what this stage of the game is about.

Whats up with this....I'll be miles away from a zombie and it would seem I aggro them from at least 100M away even though I move through towns at a slow crouch pace....doesn't make much sense.

use the visual counter, if ur making alot of noise or in the open, they will see you!

anyone that thinks the zeds can see too far should try playing Arma 2 :P

Speaking from a game designer's standpoint the 'realism' mentality with the zeds right now is completely out the window.

For instance lets say that these zombies are freshly made with decent eyesight, someone made a point that they shouldn't be able to tell survivor vs zombie on sight alone, I agree. Additionally the developer's comment to 'try break their los quickly as opposed to silently sneaking' with the current gimmicks and glitches is like walking out onto an airfield glowing bright pink, you'll just aggro more and probably die. [insert dev trollface]

If the zeds stay as is, then we really need to get starter weapons back. Just like zombies being at their peak, the survivors likely did something/had something that made them the lucky ones to survive. Seriously if i'm alive after the initial outbreak i probably scrounged some food and water and for sure a weapon. Starting with zero defensive measures itself IS unrealistic. Getting into a town after crawling for 50 minutes and careful attention to zed locations still netted me a bite in the ass from a zed walking through a wall and the subsequent 10 minute run where i tried buildings/hills/los/docks with no luck breaking the angry bugger off. Picking up a rock is marginally less effective than a crowbar let me at least try that...

Secondly the noise level we make when crouching/running etc are completely off. Almost all of them are boosted in the extreme further contributing to our very short lifespans. I know for a fact that you can crouch run and sprint with boots on pavement/concrete without a normal human hearing you until you are within 8-20 meters as opposed to the tap dancing performance survivors deliver in game.

Lastly, if the intention was to have the 28days later rage zombies, they have 1 thing in mind only: food. IE straight beelines to targets and no magical teleportation abilities. The biggest threat from zeds should come from getting overwhelmed by mistakes by players and multiple aggro, not 1 magical zombie breaking the sound barrier.

on another note: i've noticed the game spawning zeds just for me in areas that i scouted out as having no zeds. which is fine, but EVERY SINGLE ONE was spawned heading right at my movement path. after another hour of testing this theory I can only say that new zeds always head toward where you will be if you keep moving in a line. THIS is just frustrating and beyond unrealistic. Just because zombie engagements are interesting and should happen doesn't mean 100% of them need to be locked onto you like a laser guided missile. Let em roam properly around town. This feature makes planning a entrance into town completely useless 100% of the time, what's the point of playing intelligently if 100% of the time you will get blocked...

done with the complaints for now. love the game but needs mechanical fixes and zombie ai tweaks, hope they keep the changes coming and take our input.

• Like 4

change the way you play.

mostly zeds are more of a threat but very playable. there is however, the occassionaly glitch with detection, eg zed spotting you from very far. very minor bug with the exponent probability to spot you i think.

perhaps reduce probability slightly more?

Zombies are OP. Servers lag out all the time.

Mod is pretty much unplayable on every single server I've tried.

Right when I was starting to enjoy it :(

It was unplayable because the hive mostlikely was down :) or not connected to the server.

Just saying :D

I have played some of the new patch, the Zombie changes are well received here, They are now actually manageable, for instance instead of 50million zombie's instantly finding you, only 1 that is looking point blank at you will run, of course if you get up and start sprinting like a crazy person the horde will follow, but i have ran around building to avoid zombies and they do not instantly see me anymore either, as the update said it was reduced by 50%, That is a big help as now i can carefully go around the building to avoid alerting him. They still come through the door's and other things, but im hoping you eventually push this game for a stand-alone release and build it from the ground up on a solid engine, im thinking Euphoria ;)

So far i like the new patch, not found a bear-trap yet though or stood on one.

Speaking from a game designer's standpoint the 'realism' mentality with the zeds right now is completely out the window.

For instance lets say that these zombies are freshly made with decent eyesight, someone made a point that they shouldn't be able to tell survivor vs zombie on sight alone, I agree. Additionally the developer's comment to 'try break their los quickly as opposed to silently sneaking' with the current gimmicks and glitches is like walking out onto an airfield glowing bright pink, you'll just aggro more and probably die. [insert dev trollface]

If the zeds stay as is, then we really need to get starter weapons back. Just like zombies being at their peak, the survivors likely did something/had something that made them the lucky ones to survive. Seriously if i'm alive after the initial outbreak i probably scrounged some food and water and for sure a weapon. Starting with zero defensive measures itself IS unrealistic. Getting into a town after crawling for 50 minutes and careful attention to zed locations still netted me a bite in the ass from a zed walking through a wall and the subsequent 10 minute run where i tried buildings/hills/los/docks with no luck breaking the angry bugger off. Picking up a rock is marginally less effective than a crowbar let me at least try that...

Secondly the noise level we make when crouching/running etc are completely off. Almost all of them are boosted in the extreme further contributing to our very short lifespans. I know for a fact that you can crouch run and sprint with boots on pavement/concrete without a normal human hearing you until you are within 8-20 meters as opposed to the tap dancing performance survivors deliver in game.

Lastly, if the intention was to have the 28days later rage zombies, they have 1 thing in mind only: food. IE straight beelines to targets and no magical teleportation abilities. The biggest threat from zeds should come from getting overwhelmed by mistakes by players and multiple aggro, not 1 magical zombie breaking the sound barrier.

on another note: i've noticed the game spawning zeds just for me in areas that i scouted out as having no zeds. which is fine, but EVERY SINGLE ONE was spawned heading right at my movement path. after another hour of testing this theory I can only say that new zeds always head toward where you will be if you keep moving in a line. THIS is just frustrating and beyond unrealistic. Just because zombie engagements are interesting and should happen doesn't mean 100% of them need to be locked onto you like a laser guided missile. Let em roam properly around town. This feature makes planning a entrance into town completely useless 100% of the time, what's the point of playing intelligently if 100% of the time you will get blocked...

done with the complaints for now. love the game but needs mechanical fixes and zombie ai tweaks, hope they keep the changes coming and take our input.

I agree with most everything you said, except for a few things.

Let's not forget that this IS a game. Not everything is going to be realistic. If you were expecting realism, why are you not complaining about the hud? Or the fact that you can die and respawn with a new character? These are all things that are not realistic, but realism needs to be suspended sometimes to make a good game.

The "teleporting infected" thing is obviously not intended. This is a side affect of the server handing off infected pathing to your client when you aggro an infected, and then your client reporting back to the server where the infected is, which direction it is moving and what it is doing. At the moment, it would be too taxing on servers if the server had to handle all of that information for every single player. Be patient; the devs know it is a problem and will deal with it when they can, but it won't be a simple fix.

Lastly, it is true that infected do head toward where you are. The infected AI is programmed with a propensity to wander in a player's direction even if they are standing/ crouching/ laying still, as long as they are within a certain distance of them. This was probably included for several reasons: 1) to make it scarier/ harder to make your way through a town; 2) to make sure people can't just go afk/ camp in spots in towns (other than areas that infected either don't spawn or don't go on their own, e.g. rooftops); and 3) to make the game more thrilling/ terrifying or whatever.

After this patch my character reset everytime a server crashes/restars, and that ALOT these days. It also do not save my char if i go on different servers i start all over each time...

Would like to just point out that I find the new zombie aggro terrible.

It doesn't reward careful or skilled play, which just makes gameplay boring and horrible in general. The game will devolve into players either giving up and quitting or sprinting around hoping to swipe gear and not get hit and if that fails, try it again on a new spawn. I think that's hardly what the devs would want?

Of course you'll still get the few masochists who will tell you they enjoy crawling for 50 minutes multiple times to get that perfect non-aggro pepsi can run.

I'm loving this "Loading Screen"..... patch is epic fail in my eyes since I can't even play it now.