U.B.C.S. Ravin

How to farm loot. A guide to collecting what you want. (Outdated)

I saw one guy doing this at stary, cleaning out all the gear from the tents and just putting it in the middle, there must have been over 100 objects laying on the ground...

@ Crappy - Once loot is generated' date=' it will never spawn anything else. So if you run into a marketplace with all tin cans, you will never see anything else but tin cans until someone picks it up. You are assuming loot despawns. It never does. You should do a bit of research.

[/quote']

if that's true they need to fix that. but it doesn't mean you should be waiting for the new loot to spawn

I'm not going to go in to the moral of this topic' date=' but I will go in to the fact that it's full of wrong statements and misinformation.

Loot works in cycles.

Actually, don't take my word for it. Take Rockets:

"When your character is near a building, your game (I shall refer to as client) checks the building to see when loot was last spawned. If it was spawned, and is old, it will delete that equipment (cleanup) and then let the building sit empty for a while. If you or another client comes along after that time has passed, it will then generate loot."

I suggest you fix it if you plan on spreading this as a guide.

source: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=686&pid=6313#pid6313

[/quote']

Maybe that's how it's supposed to work, but I've had cans at piles sit in the house near Elektro I used to live in for hours on end, while new stuff spawned in spots around it as newbies came near.

that loot will forever be the same UNTIL someone picks it up

Doesn't that interfer with Rockets statement about the cleanup?

"checks the building to see when loot was last spawned. If it was spawned, and is old, it will delete that equipment (cleanup) and then let the building sit empty for a while

The fact you make this 'guide' makes me laugh

We all know that loot re-spawns in a certain way' date=' you not clever for figuring it out ( although posting this thread seems that your looking for congratulations or admiration ).

However most of us who play know that the reason for loot re-spawning isn't that so it can be farmed by a single group that stay in one place, its so after a location had been looted and left by a group/person, it will re-spawn random loot again for the next player who comes across the location.

Consider this, for loot to re-spawn you have to leave the area by a certain distance, why do you think that is? to make you farmers get exorcize? of course not, its a mechanic to make loot appear for the next person

your simply abusing the mechanics of the game, your a cheater, plain and simple.

Yes it can be done,. just like you can snipe people as the spawn in off the coast,. but should it be done?? fuck no.

[/quote']

So, by your definition, i have to loot a place and leave and never come back to it?

Not at all, where did you read that?

So, what is the difference if i loot what i wanted and go check another building to come back to the supermarket to see if something new spawned? This is the same if i just empty the trash of the store and leave 30m and come back.. risking the same life

@ Crappy - Once loot is generated' date=' it will never spawn anything else. So if you run into a marketplace with all tin cans, you will never see anything else but tin cans until someone picks it up. You are assuming loot despawns. It never does. You should do a bit of research.

[/quote']

if that's true they need to fix that. but it doesn't mean you should be waiting for the new loot to spawn

We don't wait for it to respawn. We go to several locations clearing the cities out as we move. Like I stated, We go to several hotspots, looking for PVP and clearing out cities as we move.

that loot will forever be the same UNTIL someone picks it up

Doesn't that interfer with Rockets statement about the cleanup?

"checks the building to see when loot was last spawned. If it was spawned' date=' and is old, it will delete that equipment (cleanup) and then let the building sit empty for a while[/b']

Depends upon how 'long' this timer is. As several people posted, this is either incorrect or broken.

So' date=' what is the difference if i loot what i wanted and go check another building to come back to the supermarket to see if something new spawned? This is the same if i just empty the trash of the store and leave 30m and come back.. risking the same life

[/quote']

the difference is the risk you take by going to other locations, as opposed to hiding in a 'safe' place for x minutes

as well as the difference in your intentions...

@ Daze - There is no difference. If you stay in a major hotspot for awhile, someone is going to come across you.

If someone is running up on a city in the north, they will see the Zed's spawning anyway in the distance and they know someone is there. Either way, you are risking your life MORE staying in one location, because people know you are there.

I recommend sweeping out one city, then running to another. When I died recently I cleaned out Chenro and found a bunch of goodies. Too many tin-cans. Made me cry inside.

[/quote']

We don't wait for it to respawn. We go to several locations clearing the cities out as we move. Like I stated, We go to several hotspots, looking for PVP and clearing out cities as we move.

I'm not assuming anything, i'm aware that if loot has already generated that new loot won't spawn in. My point is that if there's nothing but tin cans, so be it. That's not essentially a bad thing, empty tin cans have uses to, they are loot to, not great loot, but loot all the same with a purpose.

And so what if a super market only has tin cans in it, why farm when you can simply go to another town as it was intended. I'm sure if someone has no loot and ammo some tins cans would be useful. granted not as useful as ammo and guns, but hey, that's the game. If a supermarket has nothing but tin cans in, and will never spawn in better loot, how is that a bad thing?

You seem to be forgetting that tin cans are loot to, maby the worst, but there still loot. If that's all you have then you use them, it'd be a fun situation that you wouldn't intentionally put yourself in.

your exploiting the mechanics, simple

So your only problem is. We clean up a town like trashmen, then go to another town, repeat, then go around from place to place? The only thing is we are aware that loot will never respawn?

Tin cans are only useful if you want to throw it at a player and Axe them to death. Blt is pretty good at that.

Scared of that man.

We don't wait for it to respawn. We go to several locations clearing the cities out as we move. Like I stated' date=' We go to several hotspots, looking for PVP and clearing out cities as we move.

[/quote']

that's not as bad, but still an exploit since you're purposely making a loop to go back to the same locations. I understand that if you stay alive for long enough you're gonna visit the same locations. but when you're so methodical about it, it becomes something else

everyone tries to argue this kinda stuff like we're in the court of law. it just gets to the point where you have to say "you know what you were doing"

So using a gun intended to kill someone is an exploit? (This is a Metaphor.) Are you listening to yourselves? If you know loot works on way, as it is intended right now, there is nothing wrong besides your morals. You may not want to do it, I may. Just like I may shoot you in Chenro when I freshly spawn in, you may blood-bag someone.

You are no court of law, you are applying feedback on a thread like I am. What you are implying is anyone who picks up loot is potentially exploiting, with the simple fact they may know how loot works or not.

Be right back~ Dinner time. Feel free to continue to the discussion if you'd like.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but if you do have multiple people in your group, they don't have to log out for loot to respawn. It might cause the loot to take longer to spawn (I'm not sure as to the exact mechanics of it), but when my group does raids on the northern barracks at the NW airfield, we just go in, pile loot outside the door, then take overwatch positions until loot begins to spawn again. (The positions are, of course, outside of the 30m distance of loot respawn.)

QUICK EDIT: Fuck. Looks like I just missed you, Ravin.

good job posting this guide.

Although this practise is controversial, Rocket needs to know how we play around the mechanics in order to improve them.

So your only problem is. We clean up a town like trashmen' date=' then go to another town, repeat, then go around from place to place? The only thing is we are aware that loot will never respawn?

Tin cans are only useful if you want to throw it at a player and Axe them to death. Blt is pretty good at that.

Scared of that man.

[/quote']

No, what your saying now is completely different from your original post, I.E you mention

''If you have more than two people in your group. Both individuals need to log out.''

''If you are alone, you will need to exit whatever building you are clearing and either go somewhere else, or camp outside of

it further away than 30m.''

So essentially logging in and out to abuse the loot mechanics and camping one spot 'waiting' for loot to spawn. That isn't going from one place to another as 'trash-men', that is abusing loot mechanics

don't change your story now, i think you need to read your OP again

So using a gun intended to kill someone is an exploit? (This is a Metaphor.) Are you listening to yourselves? If you know loot works on way' date=' as it is intended right now, there is nothing wrong besides your morals. You may not want to do it, I may. Just like I may shoot you in Chenro when I freshly spawn in, you may blood-bag someone.

You are no court of law, you are applying feedback on a thread like I am. What you are implying is anyone who picks up loot is potentially exploiting, with the simple fact they may know how loot works or not.

Be right back~ Dinner time. Feel free to continue to the discussion if you'd like.

[/quote']

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet' date=' but if you [b']do have multiple people in your group, they don't have to log out for loot to respawn. It might cause the loot to take longer to spawn (I'm not sure as to the exact mechanics of it), but when my group does raids on the northern barracks at the NW airfield, we just go in, pile loot outside the door, then take overwatch positions until loot begins to spawn again. (The positions are, of course, outside of the 30m distance of loot respawn.)

QUICK EDIT: Fuck. Looks like I just missed you, Ravin.

Pizza is in the oven.

And yes, sometimes loot will transfer over to another individual. So long as the person INSIDE isn't tied to the loot. You'll know when its tied to the person inside because nothing is coming in.

@Cappy - You are reading how it works, not how I work. There is a difference. I suggest you read everything. Like the part where I said "Or go somewhere else."

look at the thread title

it's hard to fall back and play innocent after that

See Daze, now you are just assuming. I never said I was innocent. I am a pretty well known bandit in the bandit campfire. I would sooner kill you for your can of beans than anything else. We have a difference of opinion. While I am calm and collective about it, explaining things, you are assuming and trying to find a weakpoint to go "HA I GOT YOU."

My thread title is as intended, to explain to people how to farm loot properly. How people apply that is up to them.

I joined up with a big group once and they were able to cycle the loot almost instantly. I'm not sure if it was because we had so many people, but they were able to clear out the tents at Stary pretty much non stop, never had to wait for the loot to re spawn. This was with 2 people "looting" and everyone else on over watch. They would just run from tent to tent and by the time they were done the first one would have new loot in it. It would just pop back up right in front of my face as they piled it outside.

I'm not really sure how they did it, but it makes any methods listed here seem pretty silly compared to what I saw.

Is it possible for the server owners to somehow increase the loot timer maybe?

might aswell make a guide to server hoping too bet its right up your back alley

Loot cycling is not the same as server hopping.

Both are equally lame though.

I joined up with a big group once and they were able to cycle the loot almost instantly. I'm not sure if it was because we had so many people' date=' but they were able to clear out the tents at Stary pretty much non stop, never had to wait for the loot to re spawn. This was with 2 people "looting" and everyone else on over watch. They would just run from tent to tent and by the time they were done the first one would have new loot in it. It would just pop back up right in front of my face as they piled it outside.

I'm not really sure how they did it, but it makes any methods listed here seem pretty silly compared to what I saw.

Is it possible for the server owners to somehow increase the loot timer maybe?

[/quote']

As a server admin, I can say no, you cannot. You aren't allowed to restart you server or modify your files to get loot. Servers, by Day-Z recommendation, your server should have hourly restarts to clean up unneeded data.

Ive never had loot respawn faster than five to ten minutes. That's really weird!

Until tents/vehicles are fixed I'm going to use this into and stock up on NVGs and ghillies. I'm fucking sick of working all night raiding the airfields, stary, deerstands, and heli crashes just to find out all the gear we saved in the cars/tents vanished. Buying a second copy of the game to use as a mule lol.

Not really. I'd say securing a position, holding it, and allowing yourself and/or your team to continually collect loot isn't 'lame'.

• Like 1

Until tents/vehicles are fixed I'm going to use this into and stock up on NVGs and ghillies. I'm fucking sick of working all night raiding the airfields' date=' stary, deerstands, and heli crashes just to find out all the gear we saved in the cars/tents vanished. Buying a second copy of the game to use as a mule lol.

[/quote']

Now this I do not recommend, but I can't stop you. Ive never had an issue with tents or vehicals. This doesn't work with helicopter crashes.

However, Helicopter zombies, the pilots, when killed can drop NVG's/Range Finders.

Not really. I'd say securing a position' date=' holding it, and allowing yourself and/or your team to continually collect loot isn't 'lame'.

[/quote']

It makes me use fortifications like barbed wire and sandbags around cities to hold it down like its an actual base. It's really fun when some bandits try to raid your 'city' you own and it turns into a massive firefight.