U.B.C.S. Ravin

How to farm loot. A guide to collecting what you want. (Outdated)

Because you clearly know more about the Devs/Mods about this game, right?

:thumbsup:

But hey, lets continue to talk about your moral standpoint and opinion. You just gain this thread more views and posts. Which I am in full support of.

Loot farming is epic. Close the area off with a couple of mates. Shoot anyone else that comes close and get the spoils of war!

Edited by Spookz0r

@ Spook - I wish it was that easy, but even with, I uh think we had eight people on once? We still lost four people in a firefight with six others. Pretty fun though.

In any game, people will found a way to achieve the best possible position/rank/items. It isn't really exploiting per se, but knowing the mechanics enough to get the upperhand. And gaining the upperhand is rather quintesential to a zombie apocalypse surivival simulation, aye?

It may come across as exploitation, but that's simply because DayZ is a bug riddled mess, with many loopholes and imbalances yet to be fixed.

Loot despawns in 1.7.2, or at least it did 2 days ago.

I was looting the southern barracks on the NWAF and grabbed a m9sd and left a pdw and 2x m1014 and some other stuff there.

After that me and my mate were watching the barracks for ~15 minutes waiting for other players to arrive and since there was nobody else

he went inside just to find everything there had disappeared.

The same thing happened on the Balota airstrip a day earlier.

He was inside the tower while i covered the staircase/ladder and during the whole time he was inside loot kept respawning when other players approached it.

That episode lasted maybe 45 minutes during which he never left that tower and loot respawned 2 times which is also the amount of other players we killed there after they

tried to loot the airstrip.

Well, lets already use well known methods of farming loot.

Like, WoW for instance. You know killing mobs will cause mobs to respawn. Clearly, if you don't need to kill those monsters and you do, you are exploiting the game because you are causing the game to generate new monsters and higher chances of loot you want to drop, right?

Or hey, if you are farming minerals and you know mining these minerals will cause new ones to spawn with the chance of higher grade minerals like titanium, or what is the new one now...? Ugh, I can't remember, I haven't played WoW in a couple years now. Hopefully that gets the point across.

yeah... hit a homerun with that explanation... Yuuup.

Anyway, there is a pretty big difference between 'Exploiting' and 'Farming.'

@ Vile - Really? I didn't notice any loot despawn, but that was after about... 20 minutes. Did you have to physically pick it up, or did you look at the loot pile, and it despawned afterwords?

I appreciate any feedback you have on this information.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

In the barracks i picked up the m9sd and left everything else there and when my mate checked it out 15 minutes later it was completely empty.

It could not have been looted by another player either, since we where watching the entrance and windows after i went outside.

At the balota airstrip loot seemed to respawn whenever another player made his way to the airstrip from the 4x deerstand camp and it did so even though my mate never left the building during that time.

Edited by vile.

I've noticed loot diaapearing over time, to be replaced later on by different loot.

I think it's how the loot system works; cycling through areas and replacing the current loot with differen't stuff, or nothing even.

Mm... Thank you Vile. Ill do a bit more checking up on the barracks this evening with some clan mates. That is definitely interesting. Makes me wonder if they fixed/added a despawn timer, which makes me ask the question, "What is the time loot despawns versus the time loot needs to respawn from an empty pile."

Gonna update the first post with that bit of information about potential loot despawning on its own and give it a day or two to confirm itself from other users.

Thank you.

@ Spiney - That wasn't how it was in 1.7.1.5 Previous versions. Ive only played a couple of hours in 1.7.2.3. Only noticed loot respawns when I do pick it up. Time frames beyond that I have had not enough time with to observe it properly.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

This isn't an exploit. That said it removes just a bit more mystery and sense of being lost from the game, essentially creating another environment of chores. Very dull. If its possible so be it but my hope is that the ability to easily farm loot is tackled via one method or another.

This isn't an exploit. That said it removes just a bit more mystery and sense of being lost from the game, essentially creating another environment of chores. Very dull. If its possible so be it but my hope is that the ability to easily farm loot is tackled via one method or another.

A bullet to the face fixes all problems.

• Like 1

Not if you have so much loot farmed you can instantly re-equip your mates. Its more of an annoyance then a real set back.

Not if you have so much loot farmed you can instantly re-equip your mates. Its more of an annoyance then a real set back.

Not sure if trolling or serious.

You always take the chance when fighting someone that they have friends. They kill you,pick up their friends loot and move on. You kill them, you get more loot than you can ever dream of having and move on or try to find tents.

Really, you can't stop people from gathering loot or re-equipping themselves. That's apart of the game.

Serious about the bullet to the face part, Killing someone for their territory is pretty epic PVP and I highly encourage it.

@ Spook - I wish it was that easy, but even with, I uh think we had eight people on once? We still lost four people in a firefight with six others. Pretty fun though.

You are doing it wrong! But you had fun thats the most important part :D

Edited by Spookz0r

I believe if you made valuable gear and weapons only be dropped by zombies it would solve this issue. As well as implement a massive roaming hoard that has the best stuff so players have to spread out and hunt it down to get the real good stuff.

What the hell is going on in here? People have been farming loot in games since the beginning of time, now all of a sudden it's exploiting? If there is a post from a developer saying this is not intended and should not be done please point me to it. Until there is such a post it's just people trying to set their own rules and pass off their opinions of ideal gameplay as fact.

Let me ask you this, have you ever used a hill to lose zombies? Exploit! Ever purposely lure zombies inside a buidling because they slow down? Exploit! See how that works? I guess we could keep going and say using teamspeak/vent and 3rd party maps are exploits too since people who don't use them or are unaware of them are at a disadvantage.

(sarcasm) Shame on us all, we should all be banned and leave the game to the people who play without any third party help and can read the developers collective minds on how the game is meant to be played. (/sarcasm)

• Like 1

I am not sure if I get it right.

Ok, we approach the target building, get in 200m range (but not within 30m range) and wait 10 minutes to generate new loot. [Only old loot will be replaced]

Then we completly clear the building.

I have not much experience with this but what has worked for me so far:

We waited for 10 minutes in the 200 m radius. [Does it matter if someone is waiting even in the 30m range?]

Then we left the 200m radius and came back immediatly.

New loot spawned.

But is there any better way? Because it is quite negative if the whole team has to move out of their position. Is it enough if the person who triggered the loot is leaving the 200m?

How would it work with the 2nd or 3th cycle?

Edited by GodOfGrain

IMHO if a survivor or a group of survivors can hold a place for hours, then they deserve the spawned loot.

Holding southern barracks, camp at Stary or supermarket at any city foe any considerable amount of time requires a lot of coordination, discipline and tactical skills. Especially considering serverhoppers, cheaters/hackers and dc-ers.

So cheers to OP! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. My buddies and I have a tactic where we drive from town to town clearing everything we find. In some towns we actually find nothing, but reading your explanation, it actually sounds like we just weren't waiting long enough for the loot to spawn. We would sometimes be in and out before many zombies spawned. We will try waiting a little bit longer now though :)

IMHO if a survivor or a group of survivors can hold a place for hours, then they deserve the spawned loot.

Holding southern barracks, camp at Stary or supermarket at any city foe any considerable amount of time requires a lot of coordination, discipline and tactical skills. Especially considering serverhoppers, cheaters/hackers and dc-ers.

So cheers to OP! :thumbsup:

I think a lot of people miss this bit of information. Though a lot of people read the title, flip a table and rage without really reading.

Its cool though, I feed on their beans. :beans: -- And tears. Empty waterbottles can hold those.

@God of Grain - It does. If the person who the zombies are tied too are within 30m of the structure you want to farm, loot shouldn't respawn. This may have changed during 1.7.2.3.

@God of Grain - It does. If the person who the zombies are tied too are within 30m of the structure you want to farm, loot shouldn't respawn. This may have changed during 1.7.2.3.

Thanks. So we can wait 10 minutes within 200 to 30 and then all of us have to leave 200 for a second?

Or just the one person who has triggered the zombies in the beginning?

Thanks. So we can wait 10 minutes within 200 to 30 and then all of us have to leave 200 for a second?

Or just the one person who has triggered the zombies in the beginning?

you don't need to leave the 200m range. That is the rough estimate of how close you need to be for zombies to spawn and loot timers to generate.