U.B.C.S. Ravin

How to farm loot. A guide to collecting what you want. (Outdated)

Also, to be perfectly fair. I think how the current loot system works is sadistic. If loot just respawned on its own-- I would never have to pick up anything and just go through more towns faster.

But I have to pick up every single tin can and whiskey bottle.

One day, I will find a full whiskey bottle. Mark my words.

• Like 2

Just because we've worked the timing down doesn't make it an exploit

An exploit' date=' in video games, is the use of a bug or design flaw including glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[/quote']

So loot is not meant to respawn at all?

loot is meant to respawn. you are not meant to force and wait for loot to respawn

Ravin' date=' by making a loop/route whatever you call it, with the purpose of looting the same loot spots over and over again you are using the loot spawn mechanics for a benefit that shouldnt exist.

One thing, is finding a loot spot empty, going to another town close by, come back and check that same loot spot again.

Another thing is cleaning loot spots with the purpose of coming back later, so the game respawns loot again, and this is abusing the loot mechanics.[/quote']

No, this is exactly the same thing. The only difference is knowing the timer of the loot spawns. Either way you are coming back to the same spot in hopes of finding new loot.

You say you take risks while doing it. So do hoppers. There is always the risk of some one being where you spawn when you hop servers. Besides alt+f4 there is a risk in everything you do in this game' date=' and alt+f4 will have risk in the future too for sure.

So having risk involved isnt that much of an excuse.

[/quote']

There is a risk in holding down a major city or loot spawn. If you are holding down a hot spot then you are risking a pvp encounter for the sake of getting a reward (loot).

The difference here is you are working for your items. You and your entire group are taking a chance at dying for the sake of keeping a town or spot on lock down. A server hopper is not working for his loot and spends little to no time in any given spot.

@syncmaster: Not trolling at all. Techercized said we could disagree with loot farming, i stated that loot farming in the way described by the OP is in fact an exploit, so im just asking if we agree's with server hopping.

If he does, fine, so be it. If he doesnt, then why agree with loot farming? Both are exploits.

@Ravin: You can put it anyway you like it. What you described is abusing the mechanics, therefor, an exploit.

And again, how you describe the loot mechanics system is wrong, so the other excuse you have been trying to use to justify your actions fails to do so.

"What you offer is a town eventually becoming starved of its supplies." - Not true. Old loot gets respawned when a player gets near.

No, it doesn't Tra. Here, I'll give you an example.

Yesterday, I died. Someone raided our camp at one of our normal spots.

I had run from Boilta Airfield to Chenro.

In the airfield, I found a AKM, I had an AKM. I took the mags and left the second one.

After spending four hours running through Chenro, killing several dozen players, gathering tons of barbed wired, I died to a one shot for having under 9kblood.

I respawned near Boilta again. I ran back up to the control tower to try and find a weapon. The same AKM was there, no mags, no loot despawned or respawned.

You clearly do not understand what you are talking about. I am listening to your side of the debate but you are not listening to the other side. I feel like you could communicate better if you were actually listening to peoples suggestions, but instead you are trying to compare two very different things like Glenn Beck.

Its sad.

No point to farming anything for gear other than helicopters really. At least not for things like weapons. Food, compass, etc is a different story.

Ravin' date=' by making a loop/route whatever you call it, with the purpose of looting the same loot spots over and over again you are using the loot spawn mechanics for a benefit that shouldnt exist.

One thing, is finding a loot spot empty, going to another town close by, come back and check that same loot spot again.

Another thing is cleaning loot spots with the purpose of coming back later, so the game respawns loot again, and this is abusing the loot mechanics.[/quote']

No, this is exactly the same thing. The only difference is knowing the timer of the loot spawns. Either way you are coming back to the same spot in hopes of finding new loot.

You say you take risks while doing it. So do hoppers. There is always the risk of some one being where you spawn when you hop servers. Besides alt+f4 there is a risk in everything you do in this game' date=' and alt+f4 will have risk in the future too for sure.

So having risk involved isnt that much of an excuse.

[/quote']

There is a risk in holding down a major city or loot spawn. If you are holding down a hot spot then you are risking a pvp encounter for the sake of getting a reward (loot).

The difference here is you are working for your items. You and your entire group are taking a chance at dying for the sake of keeping a town or spot on lock down. A server hopper is not working for his loot and spends little to no time in any given spot.

How is it the same? I must be dreaming.

Action 1 - Finding loot spot empty and come back to see if it spawned.

Action 2 - Finding loot spot full, clean it and come back to check the respawned loot. (This action is then repeated to infinity)

In action 1 you understand the mechanics, and use it, while in action 2, you abuse the mechanics because you understand them.

The amount of risk taken is not in question. There are still risks.

I have to admit the loot system does need a revamp other wise it does encourage this sort of farming and whilst I don't participate in it myself I can see the benefits.

Everyone says this is a survival game blah de blah, I agree it is and Rocket promotes the meta gaming but I've said it before and I'll say it again... a game of this standard begins to blur the lines between what is acceptable and what is not. It reminds me like 10 years ago when I use to play Runescape classic and everyone server hopped to mine that fabled rune ore under the heroes guild, everyone server hopped because that's what respawn timers encourage.

It might be a game but at the end of the day when there are large timers involved a lot of people want to avoid them so that they don't spend most of their free time doing demeaning tasks like searching for enough tins of beans or that gold dust that is known as "box of matches".

inb4 game isn't for you, noob etc etc.... face it, there are so many aspects of this game that are similar to other games and thus they have the same "tactics" or what many people on this forum refer to as "exploits".

mfw people don't understand "right up/down your back/alley"' date=' foreigners.

[/quote']

Saying 'Tsch, foreigners!' means nothing when we don't know where you are from, you know. Everyone is a foreigner to someone else... Where are you from?

Also, I think 'up your back alley' was a play on words. He knows the correct expression, but chose a synonym for 'arsehole' instead.

Mmm,kay?

Oh, on topic:

Do you happen to know why I sometimes find a whole string of empty deer stands? Did someone go there right before me? Is it a coincidence? Please explain, I'm at a loss.

No point to farming anything for gear other than helicopters really. At least not for things like weapons. Food' date=' compass, etc is a different story.

[/quote']

Chopper crashes have a higher % Chance to spawn good weapons, and have the super rare weapons like the L85AS AWS

However, due to loot never respawning from copter crashes, its really only worth looking for copter crashes after a server restarts due to Servers having a limited number of copter crashes.

My personal opinion, the only thing worth taking from the Copter Crash is the L85, everything else is lootable in other structures. The snipers on my team prefer to use the M107, so they don't use the AS50. an FN-FAL isn't a real choice for any of us as most of us use M4A1 SD's.

How is it the same? I must be dreaming.

Action 1 - Finding loot spot empty and come back to see if it spawned.

Action 2 - Finding loot spot full' date=' clean it and come back to check the respawned loot. (This action is then repeated to infinity)

In action 1 you understand the mechanics, and use it, while in action 2, you abuse the mechanics because you understand them.

The amount of risk taken is not in question. There are still risks.

[/quote']

This is about farming an area first of all, and not about walking into an empty room.

It's the same because you are essentially looting a place and coming back for new loot. You are still "exploiting" the mechanic, the only difference is you know how far you must travel to bring in the new loot. I assure you if i repeat this task for far too long i will die. Infinity is not even a possibility.

The amount of risk is in question because if you think holding down or farming NWAF, Stary, Berezino for a long period of the time is the same as popping in and out of servers then i don't think you have ever been in the hot spot of those areas for a prolonged period of time.

Oh' date=' on topic:

Do you happen to know why I sometimes find a whole string of empty deer stands? Did someone go there right before me? Is it a coincidence? Please explain, I'm at a loss.

[/quote']

If you approach a Deerstand too quickly, the loot won't spawn. If you manage to run within 200m of a deerstand, get to it within 5-10minutes, get within 30m of the deerstand, loot will not generate.

A very nice guide you have here mate; I never would have guessed that loot won't regenerate if you don't clear it out of its current contents first... Gotta tell all my friends now!!!

Loot farming is cheesy, but when you are sitting in the treeline with your binoculars watching some guys doing it, it does not look like a bunch of wizards on an outing. Server hoppers on the other hand, completely break the immersion. That's the difference for me.

[if you approach a Deerstand too quickly, the loot won't spawn. If you manage to run within 200m of a deerstand, get to it within 5-10minutes, get within 30m of the deerstand, loot will not generate. ]

I see, thanks.

Ravin, im listening to your side, i just dont agree with it. If for you that is like you say "sad", then i can say that that comment shows you are out of arguments.

You gave me a specific example where YOU dropped something on the ground. That might change the way the mechanics works. So i have a good reason not to acept you example as proof.

I speak for my own experience in looting. I play lone-wolf and stick to raiding the towns up North, and like i said alrdy, when i get to towns i see the zeds spawning a lot of times, wich means no one was there for a while, and when i go to the buildings i find most of the loot spots empty, wich supports the Rocket statement that when loot is too old and a player gets near, the loot clears on it self and the timer for respawn begins.

Soooo... In my opinion, you are wrong on how you describe the loot mechanics. Can you prove me otherwise? Am i not in my right to think like this?

You can say again all you want that this is sad. For me, all that happen was that you pretty much told everyone that you exploited and are now doing damage control trying to justify it.

Nothing else to say.

Loot farming is cheesy' date=' but when you are sitting in the treeline with your binoculars watching some guys doing it, it does not look like a bunch of wizards on an outing. Server hoppers on the other hand, completely break the immersion. That's the difference for me.

[/quote']

Ill post you what I think about this like I did to frost. This is my personal view on it.

"Imagine if you had a farm, and you could grow crops, raise animals for food, and had it fairly fortified. You are living large, tons of ammo and have your routes planned out.

Now, lets says every single person in the area KNOWS that's your damn farm, and you got food, drinks, and everything they WANT. You've spent months fortifying it from zombies and people. You've got the goods.

People WANT your goods. People WANT your camp.

I love the PVP aspect personally. and we always get into firefights from other bandits and survivors trying to take over our spot. We die, they die. We laugh and have a lot of fun.

Now, I love going from city to city. Ive been playing for months now and personally, the constant paranoia of someone watching you or MIGHT be near you is far scarier than going from empty town to empty town.

That, however, is my personal opinion and I run a fairly successful clan. My experience my vary."

If someone saw us running around, I expect to be shot. I have been many, many times before. Haha.

Good info, was wondering why loot stayed around for hours and stuff didnt respawn. If u empty a building how long will it take to respawn the loot?

About five to ten minutes Peacemaker.

I recommend clearing out several buildings and setting up routes you feel safe in.

I'm sorry but i think there should be a sort of drying up of loot from town to town. It's a god dam apocalypse where everyone is taking what they can , you are simply abusing a game feature. You are supposed to feel desperate and constantly moving around to keep things flowing , by loot piling you are cheating game mechanics and posting how to do it on the forums is just silly.

Loot farming is cheesy' date=' but when you are sitting in the treeline with your binoculars watching some guys doing it, it does not look like a bunch of wizards on an outing. Server hoppers on the other hand, completely break the immersion. That's the difference for me.

[/quote']

Ill post you what I think about this like I did to frost. This is my personal view on it.

"Imagine if you had a farm, and you could grow crops, raise animals for food, and had it fairly fortified. You are living large, tons of ammo and have your routes planned out.

Now, lets says every single person in the area KNOWS that's your damn farm, and you got food, drinks, and everything they WANT. You've spent months fortifying it from zombies and people. You've got the goods.

People WANT your goods. People WANT your camp.

I love the PVP aspect personally. and we always get into firefights from other bandits and survivors trying to take over our spot. We die, they die. We laugh and have a lot of fun.

Now, I love going from city to city. Ive been playing for months now and personally, the constant paranoia of someone watching you or MIGHT be near you is far scarier than going from empty town to empty town.

That, however, is my personal opinion and I run a fairly successful clan. My experience my vary."

If someone saw us running around, I expect to be shot. I have been many, many times before. Haha.

Hey, I'm not against what you are doing, and props for posting it instead of keeping it secret. I don't have any problems with the fact that other people loot farm, because it doesn't affect the way I experience the game. Contrast to server hopping/DC'ing/teleporting which does affect my experience, mainly because I didn't sign up for any of that Harry Potter bullshit. It was surposed to be a Zombie/Survival game, no?

That said, I won't do any farming myself since I find it detracts from the feeling of immersion I get from DayZ, which happens to be the reason I play.

I'm sorry but i think there should be a sort of drying up of loot from town to town. It's a god dam apocalypse where everyone is taking what they can ' date=' you are simply abusing a game feature. You are supposed to feel desperate and constantly moving around to keep things flowing , by loot piling you are cheating game mechanics and posting how to do it on the forums is just silly.

[/quote']

If rocket feels that's how the game should work, I'm cool with that.

But then spawnees can't cry when they can't find a gun, because we've already been through town.

(See the problem with this idea?)

@ Max - Oh, I wasn't trying to say you disagreed. I definitely agree you have a viewpoint with how you want to play, and how I play. I love killing people and being killed, but I frown upon camping Chenro/Eletro for easy kills. I'd rather have a run for my money!

And yes, definitely. Though I only discovered how loot works due to recent changes with zombie aggro and LoS. As I found myself running through cities, crouch running into a building, losing their attention, but then realizing NOTHING was respawning or loot was missing. It was frustrating.

Updated first post with a disclaimer explaining if people should be wary of the post if they want to continue not knowing how loot works or loot locations.

This post..

And all the hate.

It makes me laugh so hard im literally crying here.

So you are saying loot respawns by itself, if the loot is to old?

And how long do you recon that takes? hours, or every server reset?

We have left loot in a building, then come back to it 3hours later, and the same loot was in it, and in the same bloody spot.

So magically the same loot that was in it earlier, must have respawned at the same location then i recon. Since the loot variation is so "small", the chance of getting duplicate loots in a building with 24diffrent loot spots is pretty easy.

Please don't try and make that sound like an intelligent statement mate.

We have all run into building where there are only tin cans in them, and then circling back hours later and getting into the same building, simply to see that the same tin cans are still there.

Loot does not respawn, end of story.

The only times it does is when loot is removed from the building itself, or from it's original spawn point and to another/newer spot.

Farming gear like this ain't game breaking, nor is it an exploit.

We are constantly put at risk of getting shot from diffrent spots, because we only farm hot spots, simply because we like the thrill of the hunt and beeing the hunted.

We have ton's of fun, and we do die, and we put down work into what we do, who are you to tell us how to play the game?

Please do ellaborate as to why we aren't playing it right and you are?

Aren't we survivng, ridding chernarus of zombies?

Stacking up on food, water and medical supplies?

Seem's like someone are just sad they haven't figured this out themselfs..

Anyways, cu on our server at the locations Ravin posted, please come visit, we are DIEING to meet you.

kind regards,

-Z