Sign in to follow this  
DayZSurvivor299

It's hard as F***!

Hi guys!

So... I'm not american so you WILL see some mistakes but it's okay...

We don't have any weapons, don't have food or water, and the result is: Chased by 1 zombie = running = more zombies = you can't kill them = you are DEAD.

And IF you find a weapon... You'll die because it's hard to find FOOD and WATER!

And there's another thing: Groups of bandits.

I don't like to kill, but ALWAYS when I don't have ANYTHING some idiots with big fuc*ing guns shoot me, I'm not dangerous, i don't have anything that they want and they kill me!

I'm pissed... But FOR THE FIRST TIME, i found water, food, weapons e i'm in a city close to the air field. Now... You have to be LUCKY to find weapons.

You always have to be lucky to find gear. Otherwise, welcome to Day Z!

I love the difficulty of the game, but one thing that does annoy me is starting off without a melee weapon. Let's be realistic here: I would be able to find any sort of melee weapon within 1 minute of anywhere. This is the one annoying aspect of the game because like you said, if you disturb a zombie, you must just keep running away or let them kill you.

At least start us off with a melee weapon! As far as supplies go, you know soda quenches thirst, right? Soda is everywhere.

Disagree. Game is too easy at the moment.

EDIT:

This is the one annoying aspect of the game because like you said' date=' if you disturb a zombie, you must just keep running away or let them kill you.[/b']

Or you could run into a building with multiple exits and crouch walk out the other side.

There is a steep learning curve, but the game gets easier once you figure some things out. Let me give you some pointers that I follow whenever I start a new character.

1- Know which buildings to loot. This means that you should go to buildings that spawn the loot you're looking for (start with barns to get a rifle, for example), AND it also means that you should try to keep to buildings with multiple entrances.

2- There are two speeds you should use around zombies: super slow or super fast. What I mean by this is that you should either avoid zombies by CRAWLING (not crouching) around them or sprint past them. If you sprint past them, you should do so knowing where you're going and how you're going to lose them. The long barns are excellent for losing zombies. Just run in one entrance, wait in the middle until most of the zombies are inside, run outside, and the crouch walk away.

3- Find a map online. I personally didn't do this when I started playing because I wanted to experience the feeling of being lost in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but there's no reason not to if you're having a hard time.

4- Stay away from the big coastal cities and airfields until you are more comfortable playing. There are more zombies and bandits there, as well as less loot sometimes! Indeed, the cities are so popular that the major loot spots are often already looted.

5- Find deer stands. These are the little wooden look-out stands by the roads. They count as military loot drops, so you can often find a decent assault rifle with ammo. I've found AKMs, M16s, DMRs, M24s, etc. You can also find medical supplies (morphine!) and large backpacks.

6- Be PATIENT. You need to accept that this game is very different from other shooters. In addition, it's in alpha, meaning features are constantly being changed and bugs will be rampant. Furthermore, it's an ARMAII mod, so it uses the same clunky ARMAII system.

7- Tailor your strategy to your play style. What I mean by this is that the risks you take should take into account your gear and backup. For example, you should accept that raiding an airfield alone is dangerous. It can be done, but it helps to have a buddy or two to help. Also, if you generally have a hard time because you're being killed by bandits, you should avoid populated areas and scout more thoroughly.

8- Don't get mad if you die. You'll eventually get a character so awesome that he can kill ten zombies by farting at them. You'll have a GPS and NVGs, a sniper rocket launcher, and a Ferrari. Then, you'll be killed by a dude with an Enfield while getting beans. Remember that it's the JOURNEY where all the fun is had. Starting over from scratch is FUN. You should use those situations to learn from your mistakes and play accordingly.

That's it. Good luck.

The game is too easy to be honest. If you go to Elektro you can find food, water, guns, hospital suplies, etc.

2- There are two speeds you should use around zombies: super slow or super fast. What I mean by this is that you should either avoid zombies by CRAWLING (not crouching) around them or sprint past them. If you sprint past them' date=' you should do so knowing where you're going and how you're going to lose them. The long barns are excellent for losing zombies. Just run in one entrance, wait in the middle until most of the zombies are inside, run outside, and the crouch walk away.

[/quote']

This is a common noob mistake. The only reason you should ever be prone, is if you're trying to conceal yourself from another player. Infected have the eyesight of a blind man, at this stage in the alpha your audibility meter is more important than how visible you are. You can literally walk within roughly 10m of an infected, right in front of them, without aggroing if your audibility meter is zero, which is usually only if you're walking on thick grass. Otherwise, you can crouch walk within roughly 20-30m of any infected with an audibility of one.

The reason low crawling is a bad idea at this stage of the alpha is because:

A) Your visibility basically doesn't count for shit at the moment.

B) Your audibility meter will still be one unless you're on thick grass making it practically equivalent to crouch walking.

C) If you get spotted, by infected or hostile players, you have to sit through the fun animation of getting off the floor before you can get moving which means you're a sitting duck AKA getting hit/shot.

Aside from that, the rest of this guy's advice is decent enough. Good luck out there, feel free to PM me for pointers if you'd like, whatever blows your hair back. :cool:

I'm pissed... But FOR THE FIRST TIME' date=' i found water, food, weapons e i'm in a city close to the air field. Now... You have to be LUCKY to find weapons.[/b']

Ermmm, what's your in game name?..

The hunt begins! haha.

1- Know which buildings to loot.

This is a very good skill to possess. Nowadays I only loot red/light red houses' date=' supermarkets, deer stands and other military targets. Sometimes churches and barns if they're close by but I've been killed in one far more than I've found loot in. Always check your surroundings and hope a cheater doesn't server hop on your ass.

2- There are two speeds you should use around zombies: super slow or super fast. What I mean by this is that you should either avoid zombies by CRAWLING (not crouching) around them or sprint past them.

I never crawl (against zombies that is). It's too slow and if you make a mistake its hard to kill zombies on you.

3- Find a map online.

Also learn to read it. What I mean is that even if you have a map it doesn't show where you are until you have a GPS so you need to look at the map and your surroundings to figure out where you are.

If you're completely lost you can disconnect and reconnect again to get the position text on lower right corner. That can give you a clue at least.

4- Stay away from the big coastal cities and airfields until you are more comfortable playing. There are more zombies and bandits there' date=' as well as less loot sometimes!

[/quote']

I recommend to do a swift hospital run to get some medical goods. Mostly blood packs (if you have a friend to use them on you) and morphine.

Everyone should carry morphine around since a broken leg can only be fixed with it and you can only crawl with a broken leg.

5- Find deer stands.

These are a good place to find loot. They're very rarely camped but always check surroundings anyways. I've noticed that you're either careful or dead. Pick yours.

Also if you know there's a deer stand long way away and can see the area with binoculars. If there's no zombies that means there's nobody inside ~100 meters from it. Zombies only spawn near players.

6- Be PATIENT. You need to accept that this game is very different from other shooters.

Yes be patient and be tactical. If you're doing a run in Cherno or Elektro stick to cover. Don't run against lighter background (walls etc) unless you're sure nobody can see you.

It's 100 times easier to spot people from afar than close. So always try to stay behind buildings etc.

7- Tailor your strategy to your play style.

Usually you can do things either fast and risky or slow and less risky.

For the first week you're probably just going to die instantly anyways since you probably don't have the skills to travel safe yet.

Stay in the forest so you're not spotted easily and if you do see someone keep an eye out for them. Also make a mental note where they were headed and where they were. This way you can either ambush them or steer clear if you're not yet ready for real combat.

8- Don't get mad if you die. You'll eventually get a character so awesome that he can kill ten zombies by farting at them. Starting over from scratch is FUN. You should use those situations to learn from your mistakes and play accordingly.

Always figure out what you did wrong.

Don't play as Rambo. That shit never works.. until it does and you axe someone to death.

we must be playing totally different game then?

erectij +1

Stop thinking about Left4Dead games.... This is not l4d This game is a REAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE SIMULATION !

Do you think anyone on this earth got a guns in their house or a m16 ?

I dont even have a crowbar in my house so basicaly if a real zombie apocalypse happen in real life I would need to find/steal a melee weapon somewhere.

Feel lucky that you start with even a backpack and some basic stuff.

This game is not for kids if you like arcade game that you can own in 10mins then go play l4d.

Really, in my opinion you should start off with a melee weapon. Mates, if we had a Zombie Apocalypse in real life, the first thing I would do is leave my house with some kind weapon, like a FRYING PAN, or maybe even a BASEBALL BAT.

Agree you should start off with a weak (but better than nothing) melee weapon like those two I mentioned...

That's my opinion, ok? Don't kill me because of that if you do not agree.

Better to start off with some beans and a drink so you can run farther away... but more importantly give me just one morphine! It's so rare apart from hospitals and medical tents in my experience, and those places are so freaking dangerous alone. Good adrenaline rush though :D

Speed looting Cherno or Elektro is easy enough if you check your corners and know your exits.

In Elektro hit the firehouse for a gun, the market for supplies and if you're not dead already try the apartments next, and then toss an empty can through the hospital window like that guy's quick start video and pray for morphine (get at least 2).

Then GTFO!

Next, find a knife, axe, matches, compass and water bottles but do that away from the cities. This way you can hunt, cook meat for 800hp and have a refillable water source.

You said you're at the airfield near a city... I assume you mean you're at the Air strip near Balota, which is also near Cherno. In my experiences, Cherno and the Air Strip you're probably at are the best places to go when you first spawn. The Air Strip usually has at least one gun in the area, there's a lot of places to loot there, the first time I went there I followed someone up a ladder and they picked up an AK right in front of me and killed me, when I came back he was gone and the items respawned and I found a double barrel shotgun, some type of sub machine gun, an AKS 74U, and a m1911 Pistol, they all had ammo on them too :D. Once you've found some weapons, make a run to Cherno, there's a supermarket and a hospital there worth looting. Once you've achieved some supplies, head out into the woods and begin your journey!

Items recommended before heading out to the woods:

Hatchet

Skinning / Hunting knife

At least two water bottles / canteens

Matchbook

A decent gun with ammo (if it's automatic, set it to semi-auto)

Several Morphine Injectors

Several Bandages

Several Painkillers

A couple of Anti biotics

Blood bags if you have friends

Some food

Big enough back pack to carry all of this stuff

PROTIP: Unless your gun is silenced, use your hatchet to kill enemies quietly.

Hi guys!

So... I'm not american so you WILL see some mistakes but it's okay...

Mistakes in what? Your ENGLISH?

I disagree. This is the aspect of survival and hardness is a part of a game.

You have to think and sneak a bit, not simply run. With weapons at the beginning it would be too easy! I love how hard the game is. It could be harder a bit though.

I think it's a bit too unrealistic. If you were a survivor you'd expect them to be PREPARED for the apocalypse. If you're a survivor, I mean come on you'd have to have some preparation or else you'd be in the ranks of the zed. Personally I believe they (Rocket+DayZ staff) are doing just fine, but it'd be more beneficial if they started us out with food and increased car+gun spawns (not guns as much as cars)- because if they have more guns there's going to be another case of MAKAROV AVENGER!

It really isn't hard to lose zombies, if you find difficulty in doing so, please adjust your play-style or leave.

I'd say it wouldn't be too hard if there wasn't :

- high chance of breaking your bones whatever you do (wip)

- hackers, exploiters, server hoppers

- too many sniper rifles