Asmondian

DayZ | +50 QoL suggestions | Part 5

gsjz5Od.jpg

Hi there! This is a new list of QoL (Quality of life) suggestions for DayZ Standalone. I have created several of these posts in the past, which I invite you to visit in the links below. The intention is always to come up with achievable ideas within the general framework of the game. What does this mean? It means that you will not find crazy new features that would imply a lot of development time, or requests that may break the original concept of the game. Although the complexity and feasibility of any of them can only be determinate by the dev team, I invite everyone to keep this same QoL focus in future suggestions because I’m 100% positive that those are the kind of ideas that could eventually make it into the game at this stage. 

Do you have to read everything? No, the titles are intended to be self-explanatory of the core idea, but be sure to check the brief explanation under the images to understand the context before commenting about them. Having said that, I hope you find this an interesting read!

QwsYsHa.png

OTHER SUGGESTIONS

QwsYsHa.png

HERE ARE MY +50 QOL SUGGESTIONS

1) Interactive actions menu | Disable them while running

KDlD1hu.jpg

The game shows the contextual menu allowing us to “perform” certain actions while we are full sprinting, leading to unwanted situations. One of the most common examples of this is when we try to make a strong/running melee attack with a shovel or farming hoe and instead we end up getting the garden plot blueprint in the middle of a fight. Since most of the actions require an animation and that our character remains relatively still, the smarter thing would be to prevent these options to even showing up on our screen while we are full sprinting, avoiding this kind of scenarios. This would also have a visual positive impact since, as I think we all have the experience at some point, while running through a forest or hiding behind a bush you usually get the interactive pup-ups with bushes and trees right up to your face when it is clearly not our intention nor is it something we could do while running. Suggestion: Disable the contextual menu when we are full sprinting, cleaning the screen and avoiding any unwanted action to perform by mistake. Limit those for jogging or walking.

QwsYsHa.png

2) Burlap sack cover | Visibility according to its condition

4mZoe1T.jpg

This is simple and cosmetic idea, but it could add to the gameplay experience. Depending on the condition of the burlap sack cover its the visibility it offers. Then, if it’s a damaged burlap sack cover, it will allow you to see through it with a soft overlay. Players can use this attrition for their own benefit, either by using it for their captives or on themselves, providing with more depth to this item than just having a complete black screen. Suggestion: The overlay of the burlap sack cover should not be completely black but should offer a level of transparency commensurate with the wear of the item.

QwsYsHa.png

3) Quick access limitation | Items inside containers

MNSLizO.jpg

Right now, you can assign a hotkey to any item, even if its inside a container (such as a bandage inside a protector case or any other items you want to preserve), and bring it out anytime you want. This is not only unrealistic but also allows you to abuse the system a little bit. The idea is that the items inside containers should not be visible (or accessible) through the hotkey bar forcing players to have to take them out manually or carry them outside the container. Suggestion: When an item is inside a container (protector case, cooking pot, ammunition box…), you can´t pull out that item by assigning a hotkey.

QwsYsHa.png

4) Weapon collision | Guns should retract

FT6vJSI.jpg

I am a big critic of the weapon collision feature in DayZ. Not because of the concept itself since its somehow realistic and prevents some of the old clipping issues and shooting through walls that we had in the past. But because of the unpolished and very basic way it was added. Its current implementation is just a clunky animation and one of the worst allies of a smooth PVP experience. Having said that, I'm not proposing to get rid of it at all (although I welcome the servers that do so until there is a better implementation) but to improve it in a way BI has already shown that it can be done. Currently, when our weapon collides with a structure, the same animation is played where we raise the weapon upwards. There are no transitions, no retraction and no intermediate animations. When we peak a corner, we can raise and lower the weapon about 6 times per second simply by a millimeter of collision (Example). Trying to shoot prone on a surface that is not perfectly flat could lead into a disaster due the weapon collision (Example)On the other hand, if we see how the weapon collision has been applied in the company's games such as VIGOR, we will surely see an alternative perfectly applicable to DayZ. In the case of VIGOR, the weapon does not rise towards our head automatically when there is a collision (Example). On the contrary, it retracts (towards our waist) progressively, modifying the target of the gun from the center of the screen but preserving the aiming instance. This system is definitely the one that should be imported to DayZ, replacing the current crude and basic animation.

QwsYsHa.png

5) Military flashlight | Vintage L-shape attachable flashlight

RgXoaNo.jpg

The standard flashlights are quite useless right now not only because of the vulnerability of not being able to use them as a passive illumination device (you must hold it in your hands) but also because of the massive superiority of headtorches and how common they are. The idea is to add a military L-shape flashlights (like a Fulton MX-99 for example), that can also be attached to our vest/backpack, same place than the Chemlight (aiming at the front). Suggestion: Add an L-shaped military flashlight that can be attached to the Chemlight slot on backpacks and vests. Credit to LAD for its implementation as a mod.

QwsYsHa.png

6) Watchtower | Turning a wall into a gate or alternative

fTh0nx9.jpg

Another thing I’m not a big fan of is basebuilding, but since it's in the game I think it's better to make the best of it. There are a variety of changes to be proposed in the basebuilding system but the possibility of being able to turn one of the (3) watchtowers walls into a gate is something that every vanilla player wanted at some point and would be quite functional. This can also be achieved with a less restriction/limitation for building next the unwalled side of the watchtower, so you can build a nearby fence there and then turn it into a gate. (In servers where the building restriction is enabled, of course). Suggestion: Allow to turn one of the three walls of the watchtower (only for the bottom floor of course) into a gate.

QwsYsHa.png

7) Radios | Voice sound effect

hxM7as8.jpg

Whether you are talking to someone on the radio, in an open field or inside a massive underground bunker, our voice sounds exactly the same. There is no reverberation or significant distinction that allows us to identify the source of the voice. I think many of us have heard people speaking through an open radio and thought it was someone from our team until you realize that a radio was on. Taking Arma 2, Arma III and Reforged as a good reference, where this has been implemented in excellent ways, the suggestion is to add a sound filter (complementary to the white noise) that actually emulates how a voice would sound through a radio, clearly distinguish it from the regular VOIP player to player. I am not aiming at some kind of "militarization" of communications, but at an immersive and clear distinction between regular voice and voice over communication devices. Suggestion: Add a radio chatter sound effect to voices over the radio so they do not sound exactly the same as if we were speaking next to a player.

QwsYsHa.png

8 ) Inventory management | Slot highlight and combination clues

P67LEVn.jpg

I did enjoy my extremely hard and punishing learning curve back in the dayz when we had ¼ of the crafting recipes, ¼ of the diseases, features and tools that we have now. But I even when I think the game should be as challenging as possible, I definitely disagree when it became counter-intuitive for new. In many ways, the inventory management it still is, that is why I consider that these two changes/additions could be really useful in that regard: 1) Slot highlight: By dragging a piece of clothing (like a mask, a helmet, a vest, a backpack, a belt and such) from the vicinity/other players inventory to ours, the game should highlight the slot where it can be placed or the item that is currently in that slot. 2) Combination clues: We know that the orange edges on an item are the ones that indicates that we can combine it with another. However, we only see it when we drag that item to the right side of our hand’s slots. The suggestion is then to highlight the items that can be combined just by dragging one item around our inventory, giving a hint or clue of a possible “recipe”. Example: you have a gas cannister and a gas stove in your inventory. If you drag the gas cannister around, the gas stove will highlight with the orange edges. Suggestion: When dragging a piece of clothing from the world to our inventory, the slot where it can be places should be highlighted and, when dragging items around our inventory, if there is other item that can be combined with, it should also be highlighted with the classic orange edges.

QwsYsHa.png

9) Getting worms | Infected mass graves

AHAWN36.jpg

Previously suggested in these forums by other users. Right now, you can only search for worms (for fishing purposes most of the time) by using a sharp tool over organic surface. It would be interesting to be able to look for them with your bare hands (or by making them spawn like rocks/mushrooms/fruits due player presence) inside the infected mass graves assets around the map. It would make sense and would be functional for the early game. If it was an action, it could be accompanied by bloody hands to give it even more depth. Suggestion: Being able to obtain worms from interacting with the piles of corpses around the map. This can be either through an action or by simply appearing in the vicinity as is the case with rocks, fruits and mushrooms.

QwsYsHa.png

10) Spark plug | Make them spawn inside a box

Sdt8QJm.jpg

A quite simple suggestion that I really can't explain why it is not part of the game yet. The spark plugs for vehicles should spawn inside their boxes just like the headlight’s bulbs do. Having to resort to vicinity every time we want to find a spark plug, I don't think is intended. Common sense indicates that this is absolutely feasible and it will be a welcome QoL addition. Suggestion: make spark plugs spawn inside a box just like it happens with the headlights blubs.

QwsYsHa.png

11) Blocking melee | Penalties

o867QAT.jpg

You can survive a horde of infected or turn a melee fight with another player into pure speculation just by permanently blocking. With the last modification where blocking is not 360 anymore but directional (so if can got hit by the side or back), this has been slightly mitigated, but it is still quite easy to abuse the blocking, mainly against AI.I’m fully aware that when it was implemented in a more "punishing" way suffering damage or cuts when blocking) the general reception wasn´t good so I think a good middle ground that implies blocking without taking damage but some kind of punishment would be this: The blocked attacks should/could be able to damage your clothes (gloves, vest, jacket, helmet…) and, while blocking, you should regenerate stamina way slower than normal. Of course, there is a lot more to explore about melee combat but these two changes I believe do not escape what would be a QoL improvement to prevent pure speculation regarding blocking melee attacks. Suggestion: Blocking melee attacks should prevent you from getting damage but it could damage your clothes and prevent you from recover stamina like you normally do in idle.

QwsYsHa.png

12) Underground triggers | Visible representation

0jRkcAG.jpg

This can be difficult to explain for those who have not tried to set up a dark area trigger, so I will try to be very simple: Since 1.19 you can add dark areas to the map (like the one in Livonia Underground Bunker or A2 in Namalsk). You must assign a trigger/area where, when a player goes through, the screen will become dark. At the same time, there are different "levels of darkness" (EyeAccommodation=X) within the same area to which you must also assign a corresponding position and size (Breadcrumbs). While it is not impossible to do, the game does not offer many tools to have a visual representation of the size of these areas and everything must be calculated by eye, leading to tons of trials and errors to prevent the darkness from exceeding the desired limits. The intention is then to add the possibility of having a visual representation of these triggers and their areas ("UndergroundTriggerEdges= 1") after you place them (so you can see in-game if they exceed the wanted limits) or maybe just add a proportional asset (like the one from Dumpgrah) that allow us to estimate with more precision the ranges for X / Z / Y of these "blocks of darkness" while we edit those. Suggestion: Provide with a visual representation for the underground areas trigger to make it easier to set and to detect possible errors in the trigger size.

QwsYsHa.png

13) Gas Masks | Put them on/off by a quick access key

fznmJMS.jpg

By assigning a hotkey to our mask and holding that key we should get a contextual menu (just like when we hold our ammo or mag) to put or remove our mask. This suggestion becomes more relevant with the proposal of a new concept for dynamic toxic zones (or airstrikes) and the way we can interact with headgear inside vehicles. Suggestion: allow to put on and off the gasmask by assigning a hotkey to it.

QwsYsHa.png

14) Landmines | Disable vicinity view

KCQkOKu.jpg

I think it doesn’t make any sense if landmines/claymore can be seen through vicinity when they are active. It is probably the way in which 9 out of 10 landmines are currently detected by players. You just see a landmine in the vicinity tab, you then try to drag it to your inventory, and if you can´t, you know that it’s an active one. In my opinion, these items – once placed of course - should not be visible for players in the vicinity tab, just like underground stashes for example, and only be accessible for eventual disarming through a direct action. Suggestion: Once placed, disable the explosive devices from the vicinity tab.

QwsYsHa.png

15) Gasoline cannister | 10L or 5L red jerry cans

s81RLsJ.jpg

I think it would be convenient to implement a 10/5L jerry can to serve as an intermediate gasoline cannister between the 20L and a bottle or canteen. Even more considering the recent changes that the game had in terms filling up a cannister and adding fuel to vehicles (I’m referring to the time it takes). A yellow 10L gasoline cannister and a red 5L one would be a pretty good addition without much work involved. Suggestion: Add a 10L and 5L gasoline cannister.

QwsYsHa.png

16) Alternative Russian NVG´s | PNV-57 w/ tanker helmet

mzw2X6q.jpg

I know that asking for a new item is a bit far from being a QoL suggestion, but since it would be something more cosmetic, according to the context of the game and that could enhance the use of an existent item, I don't think it would be too out of place. DayZ already have occidental night vision goggles that can be attached to the tactical helmet or by using straps. The suggestion is then to add some eastern night vision goggles (like the PNV-57) that can also be attached to the tactical helmet but also be use with the tanker helmet instead of the straps. Suggestion: Add the Russian PNV-57 night vision googles that can be attached to helmets but also to the tanker helmet (instead of the straps).

QwsYsHa.png

17) Effects sound overlap | Key bind for volume reduction

C5hzMC6.jpg

I think everyone knows what I mean, even when though 5 posts of suggestions I had never really suggested this outright. But for those who do not know, most of the modded servers have different versions of what we call "ear-plugs". This simple feature allows you to reduce to 50% (or more) the sound effects of the game just by hitting a key. Although it may seem trivial, it ends up being quite decisive for interactions because it only reduces the volume of the sound effect, not the voices, making in-game communication possible even in the most adverse situations (loud vehicle engine sounds, wind, rain, ambience and such). So, this is definitely a QoL addition that should be in the base game. I must say that is no real way to exploit this in any way since while you absolutely gain a lot by facilitating interaction through VOIP, you lose a lot of awareness by not being able to hear the sound effects in full volume. Suggestion: Add an assigned key to reduce the level of sound effects to 50%, allowing to give priority to in-game voices at times when it is required.

QwsYsHa.png

18) Hunting scope | New reticle and damaged state

k2MY4lW.jpg

The hunting scope is probably one of the least updated scopes in DayZ since forever. Even mid-range sights, such as the Kobra or the Kashtan, have been recently improved with 1.20. I do not intend to change its reticle to make it more complex or militarized, nor I pretend any picture-in-picture kind of feature. Just apply the same criteria that other optics have, avoiding it to be a simple black overlay as we have since the DayZ Mod years. I have already proposed that the hunting scope should not be full screen, with blurred edges and a dark vignette. Not only because of a visual improvement, but because this would allow to provide a damaged reticle states according to the scope wear and tear since, right now, you have the same view regardless its condition. Suggestion: improve the hunting scope so it can represent the wear and tear state through its reticle like the other scopes do.

QwsYsHa.png

19) Outdoors fireplaces | Extinguish with a shovel or farming hoe

qgcutXo.jpg

Add the ability to extinguish (sort of throw dirt on but with the same dig animation) outdoor campfires by using a shovel or a farming hoe. As I said, the animation for this should not vary too much from the ones these items already have. I think it makes complete sense and would add something different than having to throw water on top. Suggestion: Extinguish outdoors fireplaces by using a shovel or farming hoe.

QwsYsHa.png

20) Fresh spawns | Immersive (initial) spawn

aEMBB3m.jpg

The idea is definitely not mine or even new, has been around for quite some time in several mods (the one from Zenarchist for example). The concept implies that, when you log in with your character, you do not just pop up standing out of nowhere but instead, you do it lying down and progressively opening your eyes as if you are waking up. While this particular implementation (which applies to all log-in and respawn cases) may create some issues with the player position or with the items you in his hands (due the lay down animation), it could definitely be applied to fresh spawns first spawn where you have no gear at all and the locations are already defined. In addition to this, and even when it’s not part of this suggestion, the idea of adding an overlay (to spawns that are not fresh spawns) such as an eye-opening vignette or yawning sound when logging into a server (as I have already mentioned in another thread) would be very useful as a method to combat ghosting and “X-ray views” due textures load delay. Suggestion: When it’s your first spawn as a fresh spawn, you should do it laying down and slowly opening your eyes like waking up. For any other log in, it should only limit to an opening eyes vignette.

QwsYsHa.png

21) Handcuffs | Break them only by force or key

E895CVe.jpg

Maybe I'll get a little ahead of myself and this will probably be modified in the near future, but in the first 1.20 build, another player can free you from your handcuffs with just their hands. This seems fine to me for most items like ropes or such, but in the case of handcuffs it just doesn't make any sense. This item should be an exception to the rule and other players shouldn’t be able to free you simply with his bare hands. I have suggested in the past a higher punishment for this type of binding, although I understand that it is intended to prevent any scenario that could completely destroy a player's experience (even when you can still “scape/die” by logging out of the game). Suggestion: prevents another player from being able to free you from the handcuffs simply with his hands. It should be only through the key, pliers, lockpick or by forcing them (with significant time).

QwsYsHa.png

22) Gasoline pump explosion | Add shock damage

Y3soT58.jpg

I'm not sure when this was changed, or if it was even intentional, but right now if you explode a gasoline pump while being inches away from it (without any kind of protection), you will only suffer a loss of about 45% HP and will NOT take ANY shock damage. This means that you can destroy a gasoline pump, then another one, and you could still walk away after two explosions in the face. This needs to change. If the intention is to avoid an instant-death kind of damage, gas pump explosions should at least generate enough shock damage to knock us out for a good while with a nearby explosion (which would be the more realistic approach in my view). Suggestion: add shock damage of the gas pumps explosions and increase the HP damage to avoid ridiculous situations like people walking away like after an explosion.

QwsYsHa.png

23) Ghillie Suit | A new use for plant material

osoRuiM.jpg

The current ghillie suit can be repaired through sewing kit and duct tape, which considering the design of its damaged version, does not seem to make much sense. At the same time, it never seemed too realistic to me that we could craft a ghillie suite out of burlap strips and netting. But that's a discussion for another day. I think there is an opportunity to link and enhance the growing’s feature by giving plant material a new use. What would that use be? By allowing plant material to be used as a way to repair or patch (just like you do with the sewing kit or duct tape). Second, the possibility of crafting the Woodland ghillie suite (greener version of the ghillie) by combining a certain number of plant material (or a sub-item crafted from it like root web or something smaller that we could combine), with a certain number of nettings. This would make even more sense than crafting a ghillie by using burlap strips. Camo net could also be in the mix, allowing the three different recipes for the ghillie suit: Tan Ghillie Suit = 10 Burlap strip + 4 Netting | Woodland Ghillie = 10 Roots web | 10 Netting | Mossy Ghillie Suit = 10 Camo Net strips + 4 Netting. Suggestion: Plant material should also work to repair ghillie suits and, by combining it with netting, it could be a reasonable recipe to craft the woodland ghillie parts (greener version of the ghillie).

QwsYsHa.png

24) Gas cannister | Inventory size reduction

D1gufoP.jpg

A gas cannister (Regardless is a small, medium or large one) takes 4(H) x 3(V) slots in our inventory. When combined with a portable lamp or gas stove, its total size does not change at all (except in the case of the blowtorch which becomes 3x4). The suggestion is then to reduce all the gas cannister size to 3(H) x 2(V), and then became 4x3 only after attaching another item to them. Note: I really think DayZ also needs a serious reconsideration of weights and dimensions of many items with a criterion not only realistic but also functional for the gameplay. I don't understand how we can carry up to 3 rifles inside backpack, or how a Taloon Backpack can carry a 20liter jerry can when the model itself is 30% larger than the backpack. Suggestion: Reduce the gas cannister size to 3x2 when they are not attached to any other item (such as a portable lamp or gas stove).

QwsYsHa.png

27) Chest holster | Belt attachment

S6D7nIC.jpg

In Livonia, the zombie (infected) that spawn in the convoy and could have the punch card to access the underground bunker has a pistol holster around his waist. It would be a nice addition to imagine this for players. Being able to opt between using the holster as a vest or put it in our waist (replacing the belt slot) could give another use to this item that is generally discarded immediately when finding any other type of vest. Suggestion: The chest holster should be also carried as a belt with a pistol holster.

QwsYsHa.png

28) Combat log | Offline punishment and logging out clue

o076OpC.jpg

There are many unpunished practices that make public servers less attractive than the community ones, and combat log is definitely one of those. The absence of admins to control this through logs often leads to very unfair situations, and abuses. For more than a decade, no effective punishment has been implemented against those who uses disconnection as an escape tactic and I think there are many solutions that can be tried. I am not discovering anything new if I say that extending the time of the offline bodies (your body stays on the server) our character's body remains in the world after we force a disconnection is perhaps our best and only option. Many mods have implemented this with great results. But at the same time, I know that nothing is simple and it is necessary to evaluate its impact from more than one point of view. The suggestion is to extend to 5 minutes the time our offline body remains in the word after we log out if and only if we have taken player damage within the previous 5 minutes and we didn´t wait 1 minutes of logging out cooldown, forcing our disconnection. At the same time, logging back in to the same server should also have a cooldown punishment of 5 minutes to avoid any possible “offline body manipulation abuse”. This would at least discourage the quick disconnections after a PVP and force players seek for a safe place. And if they don´t, you just provide a punishment since they will remain 5 minutes defenseless. Suggestion: If you have taken damage within the last 10 minutes before you log out, you should have a 3 minutes cooldown to normally disconnect without any penalty. But, if you force a disconnection under those conditions, your offline body will remain up to 6 minutes in the server and you get a 6 minutes cooldown when trying to join the same server again.

QwsYsHa.png

29) PVE threat | Windstorms and extreme fog for Chernarus/Livonia

s6GCd3I.jpg

I’m aware that storms and rain are already present in both maps but not really as an “event” and with the same incidence and representativeness that they could actually have. Intense windstorm with a severe temperature impact and a massive fog that only allows us to only see a few meters away would definitely be a great PVE condiment to the gameplay. The duration and recurrence of these weather events would clearly be key in determining whether they positively complement gameplay or become completely frustrating. Again, I’m talking about the kind of storms that force you to stay indoors or move from house to house as long as it lasts or that reduces your total visibility as if you were inside the movie "The Mist". Those which you can't speculate too much because the cold is too intense to pretend to survive outdoors and you could have dozens of infected within 50 feet without really being able to notice it until you get too close. Suggestion: Allow weather events (sporadic, extraordinary) that represent a PVE challenge, either with cold, rain or visibility through intense storms and/or fogs that significantly reduce our visibility.

QwsYsHa.png

30) Medical suture kit | A new concept for treating wounds

YpufD53.jpg

An item that could provide variety to the medical system but without departing too far from what the game already offers would be a medical suture kit. Unlike the sewing kit, it would be already sterilized and would allow suturing wounds without the risk of an infection. Like the sewing kit, it should have a number of specific uses. In addition, I really thing the way we treat wounds needs some changes without implying an extremely hard and punishing system. For example: bandages should not close wounds completely, but simply prevent blood loss. But eventually the player should suture or cauterize the wounds so that they do not generate further infection. The bandages would then be an immediate solution, but not definitive, forcing the player to change them periodically (every 40 minutes for example) until the wound closes naturally (after 1 hour of play) or through a sewing kit or cauterizing the wound with a knife or item heated in a campfire. Suggestion: adda medical suture kit that allow to close wounds without the risk of getting infected. In addition, rethink the treating wounds concept making bandages a transitional method of stop blood lose, but not a definitive way to close wounds and prevent wound infections.

QwsYsHa.png

31) In-game map at nighttime | Flashlight effect

sfmCHpM.jpg

A very simple detail that could provide some more immersion, although I can understand if it might be too punishing at times: When you open your in-game map, it looks absolutely clear, no matter what time of day it is. Ideally, there should be a continuity with the outside and how the map looks. The perfect scenario (already suggested) would be a 3d representation of the map (without accessing the full screen) or even better, the option to click/hold to access one viewing method (full screen) or another (3d map as an item). But until that happens, giving it environmental continuity when we consult the map could be an attractive change. Suggestion: when checking the in-game map at nighttime, it should have a darkness effect instead of being completely bright, providing some environmental continuity and immersion.

QwsYsHa.png

32) HUD customization | Enable/Disable contextual menu

CqBYAJP.jpg

Linked to the first suggestion of this thread, since quite some updates ago, the game offers the ability to disable various HUD elements to make it more immersive and cleaner. Among them, we can now: 1) disable the HUD completely (everything that appears on the screen), 2) disable just the crosshair. 3) Disable just the quick access bar and/or 4) disable the server info. However, when playing without any HUD element, this could turn the looting/interacting experience into a quite frustrating one since there is no contextual menu popping up at all. Trying to interact with an item that has a very small interactive area (without resorting in the inventory screen) can be quite challenging, even more if we play with a console controller. Suggestion: The suggestion is to add a new customized option where, even when the HUD is fully disabled, the contextual menus could still show up on our screen.

QwsYsHa.png

33) Give action/emote | Hand to hand

MtTlxpb.jpg

This idea comes from a recent mod called “Give&Take” by affenb3rt. This mod allows you to assign a key to “offer” (extend your hand with the item and making it visible for other players) so any other player can interact with it (among other minor features). Its's a quite simple idea and very useful to avoid having to drop/throw items on the floor when you want to make an exchange. Thinking about how it could be applied in vanilla, I think we should start thinking about a method to be able to voluntarily show our inventory to other players without having to be tied or having two players interacting with the same inventory at the same time (to avoid issues with synchronization and possible exploits). So it would be a good initial idea to implement an emote (give) like in the mod that allow us to share/show the item we have in our hands so other players can see it through direct interaction. The emote (like the rest of them) should block players movement and of course, inventory management. Suggestion: add an emote that allow players to give (show to other players) the item we have in our hands so they can pick it up by direct interaction.

QwsYsHa.png

34) Barrels fill with water | Tweaks and changes

8m3E1r3.jpg

For those who may not know, the barrels in DayZ have a function that, while not the most popular, could eventually become a great element for basebuilding: with rain, they fill with water and allow you to store liquids. This water barrels suggestion involves at least three minor changes: 1) First, the rate at which these barrels can be filled, either manually or through rainfall, should be greatly increased. Otherwise, storing water or gasoline in them is just not functional at all. 2) Second, a barrel filled with liquid should not be able to move. We can currently carry a 210kg barrel with our hands and move it like a bag of potatoes. This could also prevent at some point the barrels thefts and griefers since they would have to empty them first. 3) Finally, and as a handicap, a barrel with liquid should transfer its humidity to the items inside of it. Taking advantage of the new features linked to this brought by 1.20, it would be very possible to achieve this. Suggestion: Barrels fill with liquids should have a faster refill, should prevent players from carry them when they have more than 20% of liquid on them and they should transfer the humidity to the items inside.

QwsYsHa.png

35) Sound reverberation | Voices

7gHfTeT.jpg

What is a reverberation in the first place? It’s the reflection of a sound against an obstacle in a closed environment. If the area it’s a big area, the sound may take a while until it bounces back creating an echo effect. But when the area is smaller (a bunker room, a hangar or a church), the reflected sound is much quicker, creating a “hollow” or “rumbling” sound. In DayZ, we do have this when shooting a weapon in the open or inside a structure. The sound is quite different providing realism and a clue of the source of the gunshot. However, when we check how VOIP sounds, this environment simulation does not apply. In this way, the suggestion would be to apply the same environment simulation criteria (mainly reverberation) to the voices when they start or originate from players within large structures, giving more realism, immersion and offering a "clue" to the origin of the sound. Suggestion: Add reverberation (sound effect) for the voices (VOIP) of the players when these are given in the context of a large structure, offering immersion and allowing to recognize the possible origin of that voice.

QwsYsHa.png

36) Enable/Disable NVG´s and Headtorches inside vehicles

pQTt9gw.jpg

It's probably a lot more complex than it sounds, but enabling some interactions within vehicles is definitely a road to develop. And a good starting point could be interaction with items involving a hotkey. This is the case, for example, with headtorches or night vision goggles. Being able to turn them on or off inside the car would avoid situations where one has to get out of the car completely to simply turn them off, which makes no sense at all. Suggestion: Allow to enable/disable some devices (Such us the NVG´s or headtorches) inside vehicles to avoid having to get out the car just to be able to interact with them.

QwsYsHa.png

37) Handheld Transceiver | Remote detonator holding animation + PTT

FPjT2zN.jpg

There are two changes linked to radios that I believe would be very functional. 1) Holding animation: It would be very functional to be able to telegraph to other players what are we actually doing, instead of just hold a “thing” next to our waist. I would love that the animation of holding the remote detonator (Claymore mines) could be used as the default animation for the Handheld Transceiver (radio). Not only would it give ourselves (and others) a clear indication of what we are actually holding in our hand but it would be a hundred times more immersive than simply talking with the radio attached to our waist. 2) Push to talk: Right now, any communication device will just transmit all the voices around the device just for being on. We must turn it off if we do not want our conversation to be filtered through it. This is impractical and at some point, unrealistic. The suggestion then is to the communication devices push-to-talk using the default “caps lock” key (PC) of course. This way, even if we have a radio on in our hands, any voice around will only go through if we are holding (or have locked) the VOIP key. Suggestion: Add the remote detonator holding animation to the handheld transceiver so we can actually tell what’s in our hand and have more realistic approach to the way we would talk into a radio. Make the communications devices push-to-talk so you can actually control what goes through the radio and what not.

QwsYsHa.png

38) Epoxy / Blowtorch | Repair fishing rod and beartrap

Zef858I.jpg

The title is kind of self-explanatory. Allowing damaged fishing rods to be repaired by using epoxy putty (you currently can´t). At the same time, allow to repair a damaged bear trap by using the recently added blowtorch. Both things just make sense, won’t imply much configuration and probably won’t hurt anyone.

QwsYsHa.png

39) Nighttime infecteds | Range and clothes visibility

V28rut3.jpg

Many of you probably don't know this, but clothing in DayZ has a visibility stat according to how bright it is in relation to the environment. This - in theory - would make us less visible to the AI depending on the type of clothing we wear (a black raincoat should be less detectable than a red one in terms of AI aggro). I honestly haven't tested this feature exhaustively to see if it works properly, but the concept is very interesting and definitely has a lot to potential to be expanded. Something that I did test is how the infected, during the night, seem to have the same range of vision and aggro distance as in daytime. The difference, if any, is not too significant to be an attractive element (or advantage) for nighttime gameplay. It seems to me that it would be a good way to reward the night gameplay to drastically reduce the visibility of the infected during the night (even more, if it is already reduced, I personally didn't notice it) and link it to the visibility stats of our clothes. Thus, at nighttime, a player dressed in dark colors could pass in front of an infected at about 2-3 meters without being detected at all (the sound will obviously continue to be a conditioning factor). Suggestion: considerably reduce the range of vision of the infected during the night to encourage night gameplay and deepen the impact of the visibility of clothing under this same concept.

QwsYsHa.png

40) Vehicle HUD indicators | Background Blur

Jq3GbXs.jpg

This is an aesthetic and functional change. As Arma Reforger does, I think it would be quite necessary and would be aesthetically far superior to the current design to add a blur behind the vehicle indicators (dashboard symbols) to add to the aesthetics and visibility of them in all circumstances. There are times when the brightness or the background of our screen ends up taking away part of the clarity of the indicators and this could be improved with this simple modification. Suggestion: Add a slight blur behind the vehicle HUD indicators to make it more visible, clearer and with a design that will be aesthetically superior to the current one.

QwsYsHa.png

41) Helmets against melee | Increase shock damage reduction

Yw1TsD8.jpg

Whenever we talk about helmets in DayZ we are always interested in their ballistic protection. Will this helmet be able to stop a bullet of this caliber? Which helmet offers the best protection? However, we often forget that helmets offer different protection according to the nature of the damage we receive (Projectile/Melee/Infected/Frag). I think that in the early game the helmets should have a greater relevance distinguishing between the player who wears it and the one who doesn't, especially considering the reduction of visibility now offered by the overlay. In this sense, the shock damage reduction using helmets against melee or infected attacks should be considerably higher than they are now, offering a great advantage to the player who prioritizes it over the one who doesn't have it. This is not only realistic but would lead to more balanced results than the ones we have now (where an infected can make us lose consciousness with the same amount of hits to the head wearing a helmet as if we were not wearing anything at all). Suggestion: Significantly increase the shock damage reduction for melee and infected attacks, redefining the importance of this protection in the early game.

QwsYsHa.png

42) Low battery | Blinking effect (visual/sound)

0yaEjpS.jpg

Mostly a cosmetic addition, the idea is to have an indication that our battery (either car/truck battery or 9v) is about to run out or has less than 10% of its capacity through a slight blinking effect and sound effect every few minutes. It is a detail that would simply add some more ambience, mostly when wearing NVG´s so our screen doesn´t just change to full black from one second to another.

QwsYsHa.png

43) Throwing animation | Allow jogging while throwing stance

ucm680a.jpg

The throwing animation blocks our movement so that it only allows us to slowly walk while we are in it. Then, when we throw the object, our character completely freezes in that position until the animation is finished. I think there is an unnecessary double punishment in this feature. One and hand, the clunky movement limitation at first and then, a complete movement cancellation when throwing the item. Of course, the idea is far from resembling arcade games where things like "run throw" or “run jump throw” are actually a thing. The suggestion then just involves a fluidity request by allowing a faster movement (jog speed) during the initial throwing stance since the movement cancellation or penalty will still be there the moment, we release the click and throw the object. Suggestion: Allow a faster movement during the throwing stance to provide more fluidity to the gameplay. The movement cancellation when actually throwing should remain.

QwsYsHa.png

44) In-game server browser | Mods filter and warning

hL26ccx.jpg

Most of us here know that to join a community server (where a vast majority have some kind of mod) we must do it through the official launcher to detect and download the mods and, in case we want to join a different server, we should close the game and repeat the process. However, many new players who don't know this procedure just look for a new server where anyone would intuitively do it: in the official in-game server browser. The idea is there to simplify this by adding two things: 1) A “mods” filter in the in-game server browser so it discriminates the (community) servers that have mods and as a consequence can´t be accessible through the in-game server browser. 2) When trying to join a community modded server from the in-game server browser, a message should pop up indicating that the server has mods and that we must close the game and join through the DayZ launcher.

QwsYsHa.png

45) Check pulse | Lets enhance this feature

1Eanb9R.jpg

With 1.20, the pulse check feature got a new animation and became a continuous action. However, the concept of this feature is not even a glimpse of what it could be.  Back in the “DayZ”, the check pulse had three main functions: a) Identifying the survivor (by his in-game name). b) Know if he was dead or unconscious. c) Tell if it was a recent death or not. Today, all three things have become inconsequential for this feature. You can´t identify a survivor by his in-game name (PC). You don´t need to double check if a player is dead or unconscious because its body position already gives this away. And the state of the corpses informs us about the time of death. So how could we turn this feature (checking pulse) into something meaningful?

1) First of all, the game should remove any state indicator in the contextual menu (red/yellow/green circle) on players bodies.

2) The game should only allow pulse checking on unconscious or dead players, not on conscious ones (Since the animation involves crouching).

3) When a player is unconscious, the pulse should provide some generic information about its state that allow us to obtain indirect information or conclusions. For example: Message after check pulse | Unwritten conclusion/player condition.

1. Very Weak pulse” = Unconscious survivor but with one or more of the stats (HP/Blood/Food/Water) in flashing red or red.
  2. Slow pulse” = Unconscious survivor, regular stats.
  3. Rapid pulse” = Unconscious survivor but with open wounds (bleeding). (The heart rate accelerates to compensate the blood loss).
  4. No pulse” = Dead survivor. At the same time this could be:
    1. No pulse, no violence signs” = dead by malnutrition/weather/drowning.
    2. No pulse, multiple scratches” = infected / predator death.
    3. No pulse, bruises” = melee death.
    4. No pulse, gunshot wounds” = killed by gunshots.
    5. No pulse, broken bones” = fall damage death.

QwsYsHa.png

46) Improvised shelters | Add camo net and attachments

rdHOaY4.jpg

We know that there are three improvised shelters that we can craft, but in reality, the vast majority of players only use the most basic one (sticks and branches) because it is the simplest to craft and because of its high level of camouflage. The other two (Tarp and Leather), are mostly in disuse. I have already proposed incentives to differentiate these three types of shelter according to the difficulty to make them (more slots in some than in others), but in this opportunity I propose the possibility of adding attachment slots so that they can really work as a survivor shelter. What could be these attachments? 1) Camo net for the leather and tarp shelter. 2) Portable hanging gas lamp. 3) A slot to add a wooden crate, 4) Xmas lights, among others. The idea is that, when attached, these items have their visual representation inside the shelter and with the camo net attachment you can enhance the use of tarp and leather improvised shelters.

QwsYsHa.png

47) Raincoats and ponchos | A new approach

ABEo8dB.jpg

I have already suggested in a previous post about the possibility of crafting a waterproof poncho from tarp. This not only exists in reality in the Russian army (Russian Plash Palatka), but it would provide with a new (and real) use to for the tarp/fabric. Given the 1.20 changes to rain and the impact of dampness/weight on clothing and momentum (inertia), I think that both items should complement the clothing (instead of supplant it) by taking the backpack slot (like the ghillies). A raincoat or a poncho should have a protective function, not really a cargo one is if they were a jacket, and the possibility of using them over your clothes with a much more comprehensive design (covering more than just our torso) It’s, in my opinion, the right way to go in a survival path. Suggestion: We should rethink raincoats (and eventually add tarp ponchos) as a survival item and not as a cargo option. It should cover he whole body from the rain by placing it in the backpack slot, similar concept to a full ghillie suit. This should be an auxiliary item of our character, not just another piece of clothing.

QwsYsHa.png

48) NVG´s handicap | NVG's | Very dim glow in eyes

hIQJYR5.jpg

NVGs are definitely a controversial item. On the one hand they represent an endgame in itself for the player who try to obtain them through the different dynamic events where it could spawn and offers a unique advantage. On the other hand, it completely annihilates the possibility of nighttime gameplay by adding to the lack of incentive to stay on a server or explore the map when night falls. It is possibly for this reason that may servers (with a survival focus), notably reduce the amount of NVG's on the map or even eliminate this item from the loot table to justify the use of other means of illumination. This suggestion aims to bring a little closer to the necessary balance by offering a very slight handicap when using NVGs. As it would happen IRL, the googles should have a very faint glow so that it can be noticed by other players with a trained eye. Of course, it should be extremely dim so as not to completely counteract the functionality of this item. This would be a first step in balancing it out although - as I have suggested in the past - a real and efficient method of counteracting the use of NVGs may be with an overall improvement to the lighting where the light effectively "blinds" the NVGs.

QwsYsHa.png

49) Full stomach | Audio clue

EjzbKXL.jpg

Most of the HUD elements in DayZ were progressively having their auditory and visual representation. This is excellent because it allows us to do without the HUD and to be able to interpret the sufferings of our character without the need to appeal to artificial indicators. Although there must still be elements of accessibility (because it is still a game), today we can identify a cut and bleeding by sound and visual representation, the damage of shock, a disease, an infection, etc. But one of the elements that still does not have a sound representation is the full stomach or "about to vomit". I think it would be a good quality of life addition to add a stomach sound (different from empty stomach) for when our stomach is stuffed and close to vomiting. Suggestion: Add an audio clue for the full stomach / close to vomiting state to be able to warn of this situation without having to resort to the HUD.

QwsYsHa.png

50) Chance of devices already spawn with 9v batteries inside

asTMH47.jpg

This suggestion is quite simple. Just at least add a minimum chance that devices can spawn with a 9v battery already in them since, right now, no device can spawn with a 9V battery (nor has the chance to do so). While this may encourage the look for batteries around the map, in most cases it ends up ruling out the use of that particular item (e.g., radios, flashlights, etc.).

QwsYsHa.png

51) Reduce the sound level for crawling

BOxRiAF.jpg

Currently, both the crouching and crawling animations generate the same amount of sound, which I believe is a mistake. Being able to differentiate between walking crouching (2 sound bars) and crawling (1 sound bar) in a situation where we don't want to be detected by the infecteds around would be more reasonable and functional for the gameplay. Even when we want to move inside a house to lose the aggro of the infecteds. It is common to see how they continue to listen to us even when we are on the ground. I have already suggested in the past (and I still hold this idea) that there should be the possibility to walk while crouching (holding the walk key), also making only a sound bar. Actually, whether or not we hold the walk key while crouching, the speed is always the same.

QwsYsHa.png

52) Splitting long stick | Chemlight click animation

aFD4OeD.jpg

I always thought it would be much more realistic and less “frustrating” if splitting a long stick into three short sticks didn't require the entire 5-6 second animation. Instead, let's just resort to the same animation of splitting the Chemlight (with its 2-3 second duration) in order to do so. You can even use the same sound in the absence of a particular one. Splitting a long stick shouldn’t not be a ceremony.

QwsYsHa.png

53) Melee attacks | Hitting and freelook possible conflict

Pli2j8N.jpg

Another element that I have personally noticed and once again I don't know if it is a bug or something deliberate is the direction of the attacks when using the free camera. It is as if the direction of the melee attack is not linked to where our character is pointing but to where we look with the camera. Let me give you an example: Imagine you are hitting a locked door or basebuilding fence to break in. You take out your axe and start hitting it. Our character looks straight ahead and hits straight ahead too. Now, with your character hitting the same spot, try to turn the camera (free cam, hold alt) to the side. You will see how your character will still swing straight ahead but it will not generate any kind of impact. I think that melee weapons should follow the same logic of firearms and continue hitting where their barrel - or in this case our character body – is actually aiming. Otherwise, there may be situations where no melee damage hits are not “registered” even when the weapon goes completely through our target.

QwsYsHa.png

54) Stealth attack with (attached) bayonets

FOJXl3b.jpg

Another item that becomes extremely expendable is bayonets. Not only because they increase the chances of the (horrible) weapon collision system, but also because attacks using a bayonet are slow, consume a lot of stamina and offer no real advantage when used against enemies or infects. In this sense, I think this could be improved by allowing a stealth attack with the use of bayonets attached to the weapon. In this way, it would at least fulfill a specific function by being able to maintain the stealth level and eliminate infected in this way even with a weapon in our hands. I also think bayonets should be rewarded in other ways as well. In the past I have suggested reductions to stamina cost, multiple slashes or increased damage output. These are all ideas/modifications that I would still like to see in the game.

QwsYsHa.png

55) Dynamic toxic zones | A new approach

ouyjAIg.jpg

Since the arrival of toxic zones to DayZ, they have been incorporated under two different concepts: 1) Static toxic zones, with permanent contamination and specific loot for those areas. 2) The dynamic toxic zones or airstrikes, where toxic gas bombs explode in the sky killing all life in the place and making magically appear NBC infecteds and related gear. In both cases, the full NBC suit is required in order to survive inside. While the static ones seemed to be a great addition because they create an attractive endgame by collecting the NBC an such, the impact of the dynamic toxic zones on the gameplay has been quite superfluous and inconsequential (At least in my experience). Mainly because: 1) They haven't really complemented the experience in the way they could do it. 2) They don't serve as a way to gather the interest of players (quite the contrary). 3) Their only real virtue is an eventual anti-camper method when they fall in military bases. 4) The airstrikes do not seem to have a concrete and rational explanation from the DayZ lore, because it is not known if the intention is to eliminate infected (which would be contradictory to the idea that infected NBC magically appear) or if it’s actually against survivors (. Clearly, we do not know who is throwing them either.

So, my idea is this: first of all, I think it is imperative to distinguish static and dynamic in terms of the protection required. Only the gas mask and active filter should be sufficient to survive inside the dynamic toxic zone, making gameplay inside them actual feasible. Second, I would rethink their purpose. Instead of just ejecting players from an area as it does now (because absolutely no one plays with a full NBC equipment in their inventory), they should serve as a way to attract players. How? Simply by understanding that the purpose of these toxic gas attacks is not to clear the area from survivors, but to clear the area of infecteds for a supply delivery. And I know that the term "airdrop" may sound unpleasant to the hardcore gamer, but I find it more rational in the context of a war than a random toxic attack that make NBC infecteds spawn out of nowhere and add toxic related items inside random structures. Considering dynamic toxic zones in this way would not only allow real use to be made of masks and filters (which today is minuscule), but would also propose dynamic points of interest all over the map for players in all instances of the game (provided they have a gas mask).

QwsYsHa.png

56) Character comfort | A new passive stat

Ly2GrCw.jpg

This suggestion is not extremely complex or deep, but I don't want to extend too much in a thread that is already long. The idea of a "passive stat" (referring to an element of our character that does not have a visual representation in the HUD and that works simultaneously with the rest of the stats, as for example, the immunity level), that refers to the comfort of our character and that affects other stats, improving or worsening them as a consequence. This could well be a separate stat or a refinement of our immune system. What would be the purpose of this? To reward the in-game actions that are linked to the survival element of DayZ and that currently do not seem to have too much incidence. In this sense, elements such as campfires, being in-doors, the presence of other players around or being fed by them, the proximity to tents or shelters, the absence of infected or dead players within a certain range, the intake of cooked food, the combination of night and fire or lighting... all these should boost this passive stat. What would be the consequence of a high comfort stat? Mainly a bost in the immune system, increased blood/hp regeneration speed, lower the wound infection or diseases, faster regeneration of broken bones, higher resistance to cold, etc. I think you get the idea of what I mean.

QwsYsHa.png

57) Swap objects from our inventory | Objects must fall at our feet

RGjeAtx.jpg

One of the most frustrating "bugs" for several years now is the one that originates when replacing a garment or object with another one that we have in our inventory. The game not only replaces the item but also its position, making that sometimes, the item that goes to the vicinity remains under the structures (or above) preventing to access again to it or its content. Unfortunately, I don't really know all the technical considerations to make an informed suggestion about this, but I think that considering a fix or mechanism by which every item we replace falls at our feet instead of trying to replace the position of the item in the vicinity would be an excellent goal to accomplish for a problem that for years has not even been covered as such.

QwsYsHa.png

I really recommend checking out the other suggestion threads.

All of them are still valid and Im sure they would make excellent QOL additions to DayZ.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

QwsYsHa.png

OTHER SUGGESTIONS

QwsYsHa.png

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Beans 2

Yeah i can really dig a few of these suggestions. Many have already been made and ignored so far but we can live in hope!

Your solution to the underused dynamic toxic zone is perfect and makes so much sense. Artillery fire, flare goes up, players close in, gas falls, zombies die, players run in, pvp mayhem with the visual deficiencies, claustrophobia and intensified breathing from wearing a gas mask. Love it! Can't even really be abused seeing as even camp-waiting to only enter while gassed comes with increased risks of encountering others doing the same.

Right now as you say no one is fully prepared for the gas so you just leave the area as fast as possible if you want to live. Far better to draw players together for a ramped up gameplay experience. Making the gas thicker so visibility is quite heavily decreased could really add some intensity to the mechanic too. At the moment sometimes the gas can be as good as invisible even when you're right in it.

By needing just a gas mask for dynamic gas you'd solve the issue of the completely OP almost guaranteed kill of the gas grenade mechanic too. Imagine throwing gas into a building that another player occupies but not knowing whether they have a gas mask and having to go in wearing your own just to be sure. With gas as thick as smoke if the players being gassed have to run out you they'll neither see you or you them until they are clear of it or you're mere feet away in it too. This would bring cover advantages to both those breaching the gas and those evacuating it as well as a completely different pvp experience to the game when using gas.

Edited by lemmac
  • Beans 1

hi. I really enjoy your QoL every single time!

here are few additional proposals for

1. dynamic toxic Zones: 

a) spawn at military/industrial areas or similar P.o.I.(gas-/police-/firestations or large hospitals for example) only!

b) No dynamic toxic zones in pure residental areas!(exeption: misguided shell)

c) combine dynamic toxic zones with some events ( mil. convoy or train for example)

d) add a slight and random deviation("wobbling") to point zero (<50m)

e) add a minimal chance of completely misguided shells (deviation>50m from original coords)

2. permanent toxic zones:

a) Replace them by variablesemi-permanent toxic zones, with 1-2 weeks lifetime and changing locations (Tisy; Kamensk; NWAF; Rify; Pavlovo)

b) To distinguish them clearly from the normal dynamic zone the semi-permanent toxic zones are bombed every x minutes until their lifetime expires and cloud is more dense).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

do you think bohemia is even reading this forum anymore?

I am skeptical they even do

• Haha 1

A great list as always!

A few comments:

3) Quick access: You should also never be able to put items on the hotbar that are in a backpack.

11) Melee blocking. Imo blocking a hit should consume stamina, if low on stamina you would either be unable to keep blocking, or it would start to let some damage (and cuts) through.

About suggestion 54, I would want to complement that, weapon melee - with or without bayonets - really needs a light attack that can be used even if low on stamina. The situation when you are unable to attack due to weapon raised and low stamina is extremely frustrating, since you are completely helpless. Swapping to another (melee) weapon is likely going to take too much time and get you killed or knocked out. So: a light attack with lower damage and no knock back would be logical.

• Like 3

You put way too much effort into these, and I love it.

Many great suggestions, unfortunately I doubt many of them will ever see the light of day, but please BI prove me wrong. 🙂

About topic #4, it's so frustrating that BI adds features such as the weapon collision (that are clearly not finished and as a result hinder gameplay more than improve it) then completely ignore them for years, leaving them in a shit state. Those videos you linked are obviously the worst examples of it but it's so disappointing that the feature has been left in such a state that this type of gameplay is possible. If the feature is going to be left like that for years then I'd rather it not be added at all.

Similarly, about topic #54 - Stealth kills with attached bayonets is a great suggestion, and would definitely increase their viability, being able to stealth kill without unequipping your firearm is very appealing.
But like you said, currently bayonets are useless for many reasons and have been since their addition, I don't understand why they bothered to add the functionality for bayonets without putting in any effort to balance them, as a result they just added dead content and wasted their time that could have been used for something else back then.

Then #55, Dynamic Gas Zones - I definitely agree, the dynamic zones are lacking and are yet another feature that feels unfinished, which is disappointing because they were an exciting addition at first, before realising there is no reason to go inside. (I guess PO-X grenades but nah.. I'm not counting them)

While your suggestion has made the idea of airdrops a bit less unpleasant, I'd like to suggest an alternative - moving the military convoys into dynamic gas zones. Currently, I really hate how military convoys just appear out of thin air, without any indication that they have spawned, yet they share a loot table with helicopter crashes which are audible. Convoys also have spawn points on the coast and a freshie can find a LAR as their first weapon which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion, at least if they spawned in dynamic gas zones you'd need some level of preparation before looting them were possible.

Also, maybe you could come up with a way to explain that the spawning NBC infected are actually the convoy crew that got infected somehow, but to be honest I don't care enough about the lore reasons to try and think of a way to make this work, just a thought.

I personally think tying the dynamic gas zones together with the convoys would be a nice way to improve both features at once.

I do have an issue with the idea that only a gas mask is required for dynamic zones, but not static ones. 
I agree from a gameplay/balance point of view that it would be nice, but I hate the idea that the two zone types would magically have different threat levels. At least in the current implementation, there wouldn't be a way to gain that knowledge in-game, the two zone types would look the same but have different requirements, that would be really weird and bugs the hell out of me.

As a result, I'm gonna say FUCK IT, WILD SUGGESTIONS INCOMING.
1. Remove static gas zones completely
2. Tie dynamic zones and military convoys together
3. Rework the convoy loot table - remove all current gear and replace it with the static gas zone loot table

My initial thoughts on what these changes might do to the game -
1. Potentially improve the chance of finding good loot at heli crashes, as they'd no longer share a loot table with convoys, so there'd be less of that loot spawned in the world at once. Often you'll arrive first at a heli only to find it just spawned shit.
2. Allows you to find static gas zone loot almost anywhere on the map, instead of it being locked to the coast, which in my opinion is terrible and completely backwards.
3. Hopefully get people moving around the map more and chasing dynamic zones - removing as much high tier loot from the coast as possible is a good thing, north-west Chernarus is so dead and it needs to encourage players to stay in that area. (Removing NBC from costal areas like NEAF would be nice too) If Tisy becomes THE only place to reliably collect NBC, and dynamic zones with M4s and such can spawn across the map, at places like Novaya, NWAF, Vybor, Stary etc, that's a good encouragement to not only travel there, but keep traversing those areas.
4. Encourages players to keep NBC on them at all times in case there's a gas strike - perhaps this would be annoying but other changes could be made, such as reducing their inventory size or allowing you to wear it on top of other gear etc.

Well, I typed a lot and had some fun thinking about this. Even if y'all disagree I hope you enjoyed reading it if you made it this far. Nice post Asmondian.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

many great ideas. personaly i would like to see reduced inventory size on all clothes and some items and instead add more attatchable items to the gear. sp you get a pro and a con from it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Asmondian said:

49) Full stomach | Audio clue

*BURP!*

Great list as usual, love every suggestion.
Hopefully devs take a few notes from this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are a few hoodies why don't the hoods work there could be a few things to make the game more better but they add silly masks an break the game 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:06 AM, jamieavo said:

There are a few hoodies why don't the hoods work there could be a few things to make the game more better but they add silly masks an break the game 

There are capes and hoodies on many modded servers with extra slots for scarfs/capes and it works. Of course there is some overlapping with hats, but for example if you have a hat, the hood from cape or hoodie its taken off. Simple solution.

Basically I agree with most of thing here. Huge and great QOL changes list.

Few comments from my side:
7 + 37) There should be also a thing that was done by modders. You could simply toggle speaking on radio on and off. There is a push to talk and voice activation mode for radios. You often dont want to talk on radio and turning it off everytime is annoying.

11 + 30) This could be done with a little overhaul of cuts system. Also from a mod. Minor scratches would bleed only a little and infected should be able to "scratch" you even if you block. But at the same time it should not be necessary to heal yourself up to let's say 3-5 scratches. And there is another thing like a deep cut. Those deep cuts could bleed much more and should be treated asap. But infected shouldn't be able to deep cut you if you block.

47) As I said before, modders already added extra slots for things like capes and scarfs. Tbh I would like to see it in vanilla even if it causes a little overlapping effect.

56) Again, Im thinking about a mod, probably Siberia? Where your character needs to sleep. Otherwise it will walk or run slower. That would be another perfect survival addition that we actually have to sleep from time to time.

10) Spark plug | Make them spawn inside a box

Good idea. And I would expand to spawn locked things in wrecked cars like spark plugs, radiators and batteries in a damaged state.

• Like 1

54) I believe this is already in the game, however I'd say even that is not enough. Either bayonets should OHK standard infected to the chest (currently they only do to the head), or you should be able to block their attacks while holding a gun. The first option is much easier to implement and balance. This would also give some much needed utility to the AKs over the other assault rifle options.

I was hoping that this wasn’t going to be just another list of additions. 

What we really need is an overhaul of systems. We need updates that move to the stable branch server to actually be stable. An improvement on the anti cheat software is more important than these in-game QoL improvements. 

We need improvements to performance, security, and stability. We need prominent figures to demand these improvements.  Having spotlights on the map at nighttime is pretty eye-roll. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 4/30/2023 at 1:57 PM, Parazight said:

I was hoping that this wasn’t going to be just another list of additions. 

What we really need is an overhaul of systems. We need updates that move to the stable branch server to actually be stable. An improvement on the anti cheat software is more important than these in-game QoL improvements. 

We need improvements to performance, security, and stability. We need prominent figures to demand these improvements.  Having spotlights on the map at nighttime is pretty eye-roll. 

i agree but nevertheless the ideas suggested are nice to see.

however i do think it is irrational to consider all the plethora of things "we could have" when the foundations of the game are in terrible shape. specifically, the movement and gunplay of the game. 

if you are unaware of the true stance of dayz at the moment i encourage you to read the post i made on dayz's fundamentals and why they need to be the focus before anything else. but i highly doubt anything will happen and dayz will continue to be a shadow of its former self.

Dayz's Flawed Foundations: Movement and Gunplay - Suggestions - DayZ Forums

a product is the sum of its parts. with movement setting the standard of what that sum will be. and with the current movement system in the game and consequentially its gunplay the game never move past being a stupid arcade call of duty open world zombie knock off. thats the truth

On 4/30/2023 at 7:57 PM, Parazight said:

sure, but that would cost them money.

and Infected with spotlights are sheap. They are already in the code. 

Honestly, it`s one of the better ideas they realize now since update 1.18 imo.

@Kyiara

Hey! I hope you don't mind tagging you there? I would like to ask if you or anyone at team took a look at this topic? I know that you can't say if any of these would come to the game or not, I was just wondering if anyone considered it at least.

-----

And also a side QoL suggestion: bring back black "drop shadow" effect to the text chat from the alpha version. It's really hard to read the text messages, they are blending with the background too much. Even on community servers people tried to alternate their colours but they were still unreadable.
Few examples below, even with the text being smaller back then it was way easier to read than nowadays:

wkUABQm.png kBaVK1s.png

• Like 2