Kyiara

DayZ in 2023

Greetings, Survivors!

We’re releasing our first update of 2023 today! Say hello to update 1.20!
But first things first: we will be continuing our support for DayZ for another year!

Read the full article here.

• Like 3

On the achievements etc., I’d love to see some linked to the exploring side of the game. Thinking along the lines of travel x number of km in a single life, visit every x (town, military base, something else?), visit the highest point in Chernarus (and it would be somewhere you have to just find). Also things like have a character survive a certain length of time.

Great work, thanks for all the updates!

• Thanks 1

Would like to see horses in dayz. Instead of radiator battery and spark plugs, saddle fruit and water instead 😁

It's great that you support the project and don't abandon it!
I would very much like to see boats or rafts, something on which you can sail along the river.

29 minutes ago, karlh80 said:

Would like to see horses in dayz. Instead of radiator battery and spark plugs, saddle fruit and water instead 😁

Far better to totally forego the car model, treat them like a mountable animal... have saddle, reigns and stirrups as attachments and having food levels/dehydration like the player where you can either hand feed them, stop to graze or lead them to rivers to drink. The mods that could be made from a proper rideable animal model in the core game would be brilliant.

• Like 1

About AI
Give us zombies and animals that are fun to fight and kill 🙂

All AI right now are easy to kill by waiting behind a window. Making them a challenge would add depth to the game style and give players a reason to team up vs KOS.

The ability to distract or lure them would also be very welcome to make strategic planning part of the game.

About Console Servers

Dynamic configuration reloading to add items (like the spawner) or events (like zombie zones). This enables console mods through bots that rewrite the server conf dynamically, without waiting for a server restart. If you get to convince nitrado to give us real-time logs updates, then you’ll see how creative we can get!

About Bases

Add a decent code lock interface. Make it easier to use, and harder to guess! It’s so annoying seeing 4-5 gates because it’s faster to guess the code lock than breaking the walls

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Roberto Bifulco

Just adding my opinion on DayZ for 2023 here. First I want to touch upon the things mentioned in the blog.

- update cycle

I have to say it is pretty vague what is meant with more dynamic updates and to expand the focus when it comes to the DayZ game, brand and team. It sounds positive, but I would like some more clarification on this during the stream on Thursday the 16th of February. 🙂

- More cosmetics

I am pretty pleased with this one and also because it was mentioned that we would receive cosmetics that fit the theme. I found the masks from 1.20 to be pretty meh. They are fun for some giggles but they remain gimmick items. I rather see more usual clothing that I would actually pick up when I traverse the world of DayZ. New civilian clothing or mid-tier clothing.

- NWAF rework

Pretty neutral about this one honestly. On one side I think it is a somewhat waste of resources as NWAF was reworked with the 0.63 update already and looks good as it is right now. I can imagine that gameplay wise there are things to make it more streamlined. However, there so many others parts of the Chernarus that could make use of some touch ups and makeover. The streets of big cities feel very empty. Some goes for some towns. Industrial areas, such as the one of Cherno still consist of low poly building with blank interiors. Various docks around the coast feel empty. And so on... These things should be improved upon if Chernarus ever wants to be on par with the quality of Livonia. 

- Infected

Very happy with this one. Infected are one of the biggest parts of DayZ and also one of the most lacking. The only concern I have is what will be done with the infected. In my opinion, the focus should be on improving them as they are right now. Meaning, better animations that are much smoother and not as janky. Fix the issues as standing on roofs, standing inside your body, better pathfinding etc. Getting these things right is the most important. Regarding new features, it would be fun to have hordes walking around the map. Infected being able to smash in doors is something I am neutral about. Right now it is great way to escape when you find yourself chased by a ton of infected. When they are able to open doors, you are basically dead whenever you pull a too big group. And I had chain reactions of infected getting pulled to me due to their screams, so it is pretty easy to get a bunch on top of you. This would make PVE too rough. So, if they will be able to open doors, it is important to find a balance and perhaps give players some new tools to escape. Perhaps give us an action to block doors? Basically a continuous action that you can do for how long you want to. You do this till the infected calm down and go back to wander mode. Of course you are more vunerable for other survivors that could peek through a window.

Just to conclude, please focus on improving them first instead of using resources on adding new features.

Now below I will mention some stuff I hope to see in 2023 or perhaps beyond.

- Visuals

Immersion is important for games such as DayZ and one way to improve is by improving the visuals. DayZ still looks good but in some places it is lacking. Now I am aware that some things aren't possible due to the limits of RV engine on which the map is based on. However, some stuff could be done:

• Improve texture quality of various objects around the world. Example, the cooking furnace in houses, the old beds, some other furniture.
  • Improve cloud quality. I heard it was mentioned that volumetric clouds were considered for 2023. Please do! This will really improve the visuals
  • Improve the old industrial buildings on Chernarus with higher textures and adding more objects to these buildings
  • Replace the bus wreck model

- Wildlife variation

It has been a while since the bear was introduced. I think it will be fitting to add one or two animals to the world again. The rabbit, fox or pheasant would be fine additions (they were mentioned back in 2017).

- Weapons

I understand that there are a lot of weapons in DayZ right now and thus that resources are being shifted. For the few weapons that you still want to add, I would ask to add more variation to the police departments per weapons. Such as the pistol grip shotgun and the PM-rak 73. Bows/crossbows would also be a perfect addition.

- Ragdoll effects

I know this request is not an easy one to implement. It however, would make the game much more immersive. I know it works pretty well with Arma Reforger. Now I know a regular DayZ server has a lot more happening than Arma Reforger, but perhaps with time the performance impact becomes much more minimal as Enfusion is still high in development. Please consider 🙂

- Some small stuff

• Longer unconscious state. I think the shortest is around 15 seconds? Minimum should be 45 seconds and longer unconscious should be close to two minutes. 
  • I feel that the infected bleeding happens sometimes a bit too often
  • Some more car wrecks on roads would make the world feel more alive
  • Melee attacks with shovel look likes the character is just using his fists
  • Birds flying around. Would it make more immersive. I can remember it was on the 2017 list.
  • Add more graffiti, like from the contest, to the game. I really adds to atmosphere and makes the world feel alive

Thanks and if I think of more I will add to this.

Edited by amadieus

Maybe in 2024, if the company is still afloat, we will receive a meaningful update to vehicles?  We have received no meaningful fix to cars since the title left beta 3+ years ago. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, amadieus said:

Infected being able to smash in doors is something I am neutral about. Right now it is great way to escape when you find yourself chased by a ton of infected. When they are able to open doors, you are basically dead whenever you pull a too big group. And I had chain reactions of infected getting pulled to me due to their screams, so it is pretty easy to get a bunch on top of you. This would make PVE too rough.

Don't be a wuss. Infected are extremely easy to deal with and locking them in garages is a cheap escape. If they just add a bit of delay before they kick open the door that gives you plenty of time to get out of their range unless you go in a house with one door only which is your fault for trapping yourself.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DayZWarrior1932 said:

Don't be a wuss. Infected are extremely easy to deal with and locking them in garages is a cheap escape. If they just add a bit of delay before they kick open the door that gives you plenty of time to get out of their range unless you go in a house with one door only which is your fault for trapping yourself.

No, it is about keeping the game fun. There are quite some houses / buildings with just one entry/exit. So you run into the wrong house out of mistake and then just dead? Like I said, I ain't against but some extra tools to combat this are welcome.

47 minutes ago, amadieus said:

No, it is about keeping the game fun. There are quite some houses / buildings with just one entry/exit. So you run into the wrong house out of mistake and then just dead? Like I said, I ain't against but some extra tools to combat this are welcome.

Hordes are so easy to get away from you just run in circles lmao...

Play The Long Dark on Interloper then you'll find out what hard survival is.

Edited by DayZWarrior1932
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

Zeds don't even kill you - if you get swarmed they'll knock you out and walk out. I have a mod making them knock down doors (you can slow them down by locking the door) and it is way more fun than otherwise. It's a stress factor connected to the zeds that is desperately needed - because as easy to cheese as they are now, they are very un-fun without the feature.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DayZWarrior1932 said:

Hordes are so easy to get away from you just run in circles lmao...

Play The Long Dark on Interloper then you'll find out what hard survival is.

No you can't. Go in offline mode, pull a few infected and run around a building. Go zig zag around various objects etc. You won't lose them, and that with 80% stamina. Most geared players have 50% or even less during actual gameplay. 

Thanks, but I don't see the connection with the Long Dark on this topic.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

Maybe in 2024, if the company is still afloat, we will receive a meaningful update to vehicles?  We have received no meaningful fix to cars since the title left beta 3+ years ago. 

So far 1.20 seems to have made them much more stable than they were in 1.19. I've been driving a lot tonight and I have had none of the lag jumps and sudden lurches that happened all the time last patch. Dunno what they've done, but it is a lot better.

1 minute ago, amadieus said:

No you can't. Go in offline mode, pull a few infected and run around a building. Go zig zag around various objects etc. You won't lose them, and that with 80% stamina. Most geared players have 50% or even less during actual gameplay. 

Thanks, but I don't see the connection with the Long Dark on this topic.

If you played Long Dark on Interloper you would see that DayZ PvE is ridiculously easy despite all the infected.

4 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Zeds don't even kill you - if you get swarmed they'll knock you out and walk out. I have a mod making them knock down doors (you can slow them down by locking the door) and it is way more fun than otherwise. It's a stress factor connected to the zeds that is desperately needed - because as easy to cheese as they are now, they are very un-fun without the feature.

Yes you are right, sometimes my brain goes back to how they used to be. Nonetheless, still frustrating when you can't do much about it. Especially considering, at least in my experience, that a good portion of the hordes that chased me did not happen because of me being reckless. Most of the time, it is just a chain reaction of infected screaming and pulling in more. I like the random nature of DayZ, so also having multiple infected jumping at me out of nowhere is exciting and cool. But if there are only single door entries in my near vicinity I am just set up for a good beating. That's why I am just saying, I am fine with the feature but give us the tools to react to it. Like blocking the door or perhaps make it a possibility to hide in another room. :) 

6 minutes ago, DayZWarrior1932 said:

If you played Long Dark on Interloper you would see that DayZ PvE is ridiculously easy despite all the infected.

I can imagine that. I haven't played the Long Dark, but I did enjoy Green Hell.

I would talk about things like DIY bows, bows, crossbows, and more crafting stuff like leather clothing or something. Boats, more islands, truck bed, bus, helicopter and maybe small planes, island with small airport, caves and bunkers on Chernarus.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:04 AM, Kyiara said:

Greetings, Survivors!

We’re releasing our first update of 2023 today! Say hello to update 1.20!
But first things first: we will be continuing our support for DayZ for another year!

Read the full article here.

From a console side of things.

I know PC players have the choice too add a lot more items in their custome servers. Was hoping that some if not more of these items can make it to console.

Weapons 

For example the lack of weapons and attachments on console. I know we recently received a couple of new hunting rifles and some explosives, that being said most of the other weapons have not changed. Cosmetics for them ie: colours have changed and some magazine sizes as well. More sights and scopes, more hand weapons, pistols, smgs, long guns, rifels, scopes, suppressors, etc would help keep the console players going. 

Building

Seeing more building choices for consol as well. Adding doors, instead of just having gates.  Keypads or different locking mechanisms. Different wall variations example walls with windows. Adding platforms that we can build on the ground to help level it. Some of these would help console players be a little more dynamic in hiding bases in or around buildings. 

Vehicles

The cargo truck has been made usless as of 1.18 or 1.19 on console. Can barley make it up hills now, paved or not the seem to just spin tires even in 1st gear. As of 1.20 I know that there is a bug with the hummvees are doing the same. I know players get excited when we see a good working vehicle to be able travel and loot other areas. But trying to get anywhere now is more frustrating then ever before. The cargo trucks were amazing before. Now the are just a struggle to do anything with. 

AI 

Looking forward to seeing more changes to this area in the future updates. 

Map experience. 

I do agree that certain areas will be well received in updating. More immersive environments.  I seen that someone put of graffiti as an example. Birds, and other types of animals as well. Some other things for example. When we cut down trees they just stay on the ground blocking us on building sometimes. Maybe after the fall down animation they disappear and a cut down stump is left. Maybe if there are tings in the way tables or chairs we can destroy them to place walls or open an area up a little would help. 

These are just somethings that I would like to see as a console player. I really do enjoy this game. It is byfar one of my favorite games that I can spend hours on every time I log on. So please don't take this as complaints. This is just hopes that console players can receive some more updates to make it even more enjoyable. I know it is easier to add things and customize things on pc but really do hope thatnit can be added to console. Really looking forward to seeing what 2023 has in-store for us and what the future of dayz will bring. I do hope this will be received. 

To the people that take the time. We will see you out there. Stay safe, make friends, good luck on your survival. 

Cheers.

• Beans 1

It is awesome to see the areas of focus for DayZ in 2023 after how good of a year it was in 2022, I'm very excited to see how the team can improve the infected AI this year. I would personally love to see the addition of the ragdoll physics being reimplemented into the game for both survivors and infected, and maybe see the return of the bus although there would probably have to be changes to some of the road blocks on both the official maps to allow the bus to drive through. Maybe the addition of a helicopter or multiple that you can only get working by salvaging parts off crashed ones, but with helicopters would come a lot of balancing I would imagine.

this change is really bad. When I play in the building, I feel very dizzy# The 3rd person camera zooms in when an obstacle is in front of the camera

• Like 1

I've never seen a developer totally wreck their game like this 1.20 patch. It's a laggy hot mess on X-box now. I'd prefer not to have the new body physics if this is what it's going to do.

Edited by Crankgorilla