BERAKAS

Binoculars take up too many inventory slots.

Hi everyone.

First off, I want to say I love DayZ, It's the greatest survival game ever made, period. I've been playing it on and off since it was an ARMA mod and now have it on console and I've successfully converted many of my friends who love it also.

However, I have ONE minor gripe. It's just a small thing and I'm hoping to campaign to get it changed.

The binoculars - They take up too many inventory slots (Nine)!

I feel like they're a novelty item you don't actually need and they take up too much space making them unusable anyway. I don't know anyone that lugs them around because they are simply too big. I want to use them but I can't justify NINE spots in my inventory when I can just use the scope on my blaze or any other scope really

Please, I'm begging you, make them take up less space. Maybe 3 or 4 slots. Or what would be even better is if they could be hung around your neck and take up no space (great idea, you can have it free of charge)

What do i need to do? Start a change.org petition? People, help me get binoculars changed to take up less inventory space. I'll be forever in your debt if you do.

Thanks and regards,

The mighty BERAKAS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Beans 2

Hi.
I share what you say. You could open a ticket on the Bohemian feedback site. I do not know if they will listen to you (very few times I have read of similar suggestions to get even a response), but it is worth trying.
The point is that, as I think you will have noticed since you have been playing for so long, the game has been so defective almost always ... and of "defects" much more "serious" than the size of the binoculars (which, however, you are right and I agree 100% what you say) that to date have never been resolved yet ... I fear that your "battle", even if right, is "a drop in an ocean".
Give it a go. If you then post the link, I register too.

Absolutly true, back in the old dayz binoculars had their own invenory slot and were used alot more. Right now no one does because of its size. It would be great to either reduce its size or bring in a newer smaller model (maybe with included rangefinder?).
Another suggestion would being able to put it on a shoulder slot (meh) or bring up a fixed backpack slot (like radio or chemlight). I mean you can carry a binocular pretty good if you wear it with the neckstrap and squeeze it under the backpack middle strap. You could run pretty good like that (if you just let it hang around the neck it swings a lot when you run). Unfortunatly i could't find a picture and I don't own a backpack with a chest strap anymore.

A nerf to the player looking zoom would also increase it's usability, someone mention somewhere in this forum someting about squinting (less fov).

1 hour ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Binoculars are pretty redundant.

Yeah, why use them when eye zoom is instant and free.
Binocs take up inventory space, takes time to pull them out, takes time to look through them, and you can't move while you do that.
Leaving you extremely vulnerable whereas you could just use eye zoom and move closer to the monitor.

Eye zoom either needs a big nerf, or Binocs need a huge QOL buff (attachment slot, smaller size, faster/easier to look through + allow for moving).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

Eye zoom either needs a big nerf

Yeah, I always thought it was weird to have eye zoom. I'd happily see that be taken out of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yeah, I always thought it was weird to have eye zoom. I'd happily see that be taken out of the game. 

I understand the point of it. It's supposed to be a way to negate the advantage of having big 4k screens.
In all honesty keeping it is fine, but reduce it's power to ~25% of what it is now, make wearing Glasses increase that zoom (still less than current zoom level).

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

The eye zoom is actually a bit "weird", but what's "normal" in DayZ. It seems the party of the absurd and the grotesque... there is very little of "realistic". In my opinion, the zoom of the eye "compensates" for the different global vision that all video games have: you never see how you would actually see. Sometimes a more "generic global" vision is fine, sometimes a more "precise and specific" vision is needed. I feel this especially when I go by car. In reality everything is different (also because I don't risk taking off, but not only 😄).
All video games have several "limitations" of various kinds due to "mere flat screen reproduction" (3D is only simulated, of course) and also need some "poetic licenses" to compensate for these inevitable limitations. DayZ, farther, with all the absurdities that programmers have written on purpose, thinking of doing who knows what of "cool"... 😞
I would NOT remove the zoom of the eye, in case a small "reduction" could go.
However, in my opinion, the main flaw is not being able to move with looking into an optic: another absurd, unrealistic and very limiting thing.
And I too, instead of binoculars, use a rangefinder. And for more magnification, a hunting sight.
DayZ, unfortunately, is always DayZ... And if don't change these programmers , it will NEVER change... 😞

• Beans 1

I agree @BERAKAS. I have a set of Binos at home and they’re in a nice tan leather box with an over the shoulder strap. Maybe a new loot item that spawns separately or with binos in them if your very lucky. Speaking about luck, devs need to add back in a lucky dip prize to the cereal box or I’ll kick off… again!

Edited by caik

If you compare the size e.g. with a PU scope which is 1x2 large, then 2x2 would make absolute sense for the binoculars. so as large as two PU scopes side by side.

So Bohemia, please make this small change to make the game a little bit better 👍

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 6:57 AM, DefectiveWater said:

I understand the point of it. It's supposed to be a way to negate the advantage of having big 4k screens.
In all honesty keeping it is fine, but reduce it's power to ~25% of what it is now, make wearing Glasses increase that zoom (still less than current zoom level).

Eye zoom started in A2, its been here loooong before 4k was a thing. It's just a video game way of focusing your eyes.

• Beans 1

Absolutly true, back in the old dayz binoculars had their own invenory slot and were used alot more. Right now no one does because of its size. It would be great to either reduce its size or bring in a newer smaller model (maybe with included rangefinder?).
mobdro apk

Hi Survivors,

Ive just seen the 1.18 patch notes and it looks like the binoculars have been changed to take up less inventory space. So to the devs: A big thank you! I feel like this is a victory for all survivors out there.

And remember... ILL BE WATCHING YOU.

BERAKAS.

• Beans 1

All of the inventory items sizes are stupid. I found some servers with mods that have the inventory sizes readjusted. It's refreshing and takes me back to when the game was more fun and not overly complicated.