Apocalyptos

Altis to DayZ?

Would you like Bohemia to import Altis to DayZ?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Bohemia to import Altis to DayZ?

• Yes
    • No

Would you like Bohemia to import Altis to DayZ?

Since they imported Livonia to DayZ, it could easily import Altis.

Edited by Apocalyptos

I wouldn't mind a bigger (or the same/similar size of chernarus) map with different scenery (kinda desert vibes where heat and hydration are issue), but how capable would be DayZ servers to run Altis? it's bigger than Chernarus.

Although, I wish they would show some more love to the existing maps. Seasonal textures would be cool, there are already Winter/snow modded variations of Chernarus and Livonia, and they are cool, but they obviously lack the polish that Dev team could produce.
If seasons/snow ever gets added to Chernarus, during winter time they could ideally limit snow area to only northern parts/mountains just like on Namalsk.

8O7IxlU.jpg

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Beans 1

People are and always have been complaining about the lack of encounters. I dont think adding a bigger map Will help this issue. Its not like the servers can handle more players on the map. It can barely handle 70+ slots.  

It Will also split the dwindling player base even more. So i dont see it happening on official. 

What they could do (seeing as they want to wipe per season/quarter) is make a rotation of 4 different equally sized (but different) maps that simulate Summer/autumn/winter/spring.

Every season could have its own challenges. Summer=Heat obv Winter=cold obv spring=more active roaming predators (baby's gotta eat) Fall=Lots of Rain and storms. 

The ideas are obv Just a general Idea but we can build on that.

I would be all for such a thing to nullify that stupid wipe Idea they have. 

@Kyiara Still got that wipe plan going every quarter/3 months? Implement the above and players Will take it.

Edited by McWendy
  • Like 1

Big maps all the way for me. Small maps just end up in pew pew all the time and can get real boring, real fast.

A bigger map will always have its pew pew areas, but also relatively quiet areas too where you can drink in the atmosphere. But I find that the encounters in the middle of nowhere are the most satisfactory.  Found a guy in Northern Chernarus once with a handgun trying to fight off a pack of wolves. I ran over and he started firing at me. I said knock it off I'm trying to help you. I had a USG and dispatched them fairly quickly. We cooked the wolves and had a chat. He was from New York and I'm from Ireland. He has family over here. We had a few laughs and traded a bit of gear. Small time stuff. But it was one of the most genuine "howdys" I ever had in the game.

But what I'd really like to see is a warm weather map. I'm getting really tired of the cold. I thought Deer Isle was going to be hot, but it was just another freeze. Deer Isle is a pretty good map though. I think what's needed most though are new map assets. The same old buildings can get a little stale.

• Beans 3

4 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Big maps all the way for me. Small maps just end up in pew pew all the time and can get real boring, real fast.

A bigger map will always have its pew pew areas, but also relatively quiet areas too where you can drink in the atmosphere. But I find that the encounters in the middle of nowhere are the most satisfactory.  Found a guy in Northern Chernarus once with a handgun trying to fight off a pack of wolves. I ran over and he started firing at me. I said knock it off I'm trying to help you. I had a USG and dispatched them fairly quickly. We cooked the wolves and had a chat. He was from New York and I'm from Ireland. He has family over here. We had a few laughs and traded a bit of gear. Small time stuff. But it was one of the most genuine "howdys" I ever had in the game.

But what I'd really like to see is a warm weather map. I'm getting really tired of the cold. I thought Deer Isle was going to be hot, but it was just another freeze. Deer Isle is a pretty good map though. I think what's needed most though are new map assets. The same old buildings can get a little stale.

Exactly this. A big map with completely different terrain, climate and assets. Altis would be a great DayZ map - I've played DayZ-ish Arma3 servers on it - and so would Tanoa. Maybe even more so. I wouldn't mind if both came as DLC:s - provided all buildings were opened up and there were new animals and infected to match the settings. Wouldn't do to have Chernarusian peasants running around on Tanoa. And Tanoa would pretty much require boats.

• Like 1

Never said small maps. Chernarus size is fine. 

And how can you want bigger maps? Its not even working well now. (Official)

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

14 hours ago, Derleth said:

Exactly this. A big map with completely different terrain, climate and assets. Altis would be a great DayZ map - I've played DayZ-ish Arma3 servers on it - and so would Tanoa. Maybe even more so. I wouldn't mind if both came as DLC:s - provided all buildings were opened up and there were new animals and infected to match the settings. Wouldn't do to have Chernarusian peasants running around on Tanoa. And Tanoa would pretty much require boats.

That would be a nice map alright. But I've never played any ARMA game so I don't know what it's like when actually playing.

On new official maps, though, I reckon that we might not be seeing too many (if any) because the sales of Livonia weren't that great if I suspect correctly. The feedback certainly seems to have been quite lacklustre, that's for sure. Thing is, the game is ripe for expansion in such a manner. Make DayZ a worldwide phenomena. It would take quite a bit of work, however, re; asset design/implementation/testing, etc.

I'd love to see DayZ transported to a jungle environment though. How cool would that be.

• Confused 1

On 5/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, McWendy said:

Never said small maps. Chernarus size is fine. 

And how can you want bigger maps? Its not even working well now. (Official)

Even Chernarus feels too small on a crowded server. Partly that is because of how it is populated all over with "interesting" stuff. Livonia feels bigger because of the mostly empty south, I love that about it. Anyway DayZ could probably handle much bigger maps without problems as long as they don't fall into the trap of filling it up with too many points of interest. Allow for some wilderness - and give nomads somewhere to actually hide their camps for some time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

Even Chernarus feels too small on a crowded server. Partly that is because of how it is populated all over with "interesting" stuff. Livonia feels bigger because of the mostly empty south, I love that about it. Anyway DayZ could probably handle much bigger maps without problems as long as they don't fall into the trap of filling it up with too many points of interest. Allow for some wilderness - and give nomads somewhere to actually hide their camps for some time...

It could if theyd use better servers. Which we all know they wont do. 

If you want a lot wildernis you are a small minority. Livonia is void of players because of the empty South. 

And saying chernarus feels to small is also a matter of opinion which i dont share. There are/were a lot of post saying/complaining of the lack of encounters. Adressing that they havent seen a soul in hours/days. 

Making bigger maps may sound like a good Idea of what it could provide but its not gonna happen.

(Mods yes, official no) 

Edited by McWendy

2 hours ago, McWendy said:

If you want a lot wildernis you are a small minority. Livonia is void of players because of the empty South. 

And saying chernarus feels to small is also a matter of opinion which i dont share. There are/were a lot of post saying/complaining of the lack of encounters. Adressing that they havent seen a soul in hours/days. 

I think that all comes down to perspective - what you want and expect from the game. Some players want nothing but high-octane "interactions" - which translates to all out pewpew - and to them the map is too big - or Livonia's south too empty - because people can avoid them. Chernarus is pretty much perfectly designed for a mix of playstyles, they have done a good job on that. PvP focused players will converge on the major hotspots - or fight it out on the coast - while nomads can avoid these areas and thrive. Now, while I can definitely understand the frustration some players feel about Livonia I personally - and more than a few other players to be fair - love the way it has no major hotspots and how the south is mostly empty. It gives the map a very different dynamic to Chernarus which is refreshing. And the way you can build a discreet base in the south and not have it raided within hours is a very nice change to Chernarus.

As for bigger maps, I doublt server performance is really a problem, not unless you make a map twice the size of Chernarus with the same density of hotspots and loot. With a map roughly twice its size but with more "empty" areas between the villages, server performance would hardly be impacted - while vehicles would become more important. It would be interesting to play on such a map. DayZ-ish Arma servers on Altis work really well (most of those have roaming AI patrols too...)

Edited by Derleth

Hey im all for it. I like roaming maps i dont know like the back of my hand. 

Just sceptic. 🙂

But... have you forgotten the amount of flaws and problems this game has? Does it really seem appropriate to waste time and resources just for another map... which will work as badly as everything else?
How does someone complain every now and then... rightly... BEFORE any other bullshit added they should fix everything in the game, including vehicles.
And, in any case, before a map with a lot of sea and peninsulas, at least functioning boats would be needed, otherwise there is a lot of sea and wasted coast and many useless walks to get around the gulfs.
And having boats available, I would prefer maps like Tanoa or Abramia. Maybe with the possibility of building rafts until you find a boat to repair and use... a bit like vehicles now.
This would be interesting, but leaving the game as it is now, just any other maps, I don't see much use.
I haven't even tried DeerIsle, which is free, and I don't even think about buying Livonia even for 5 € in promotion (with so many absurd bears and nothing costs ... Bah) of any other map, as long as the game remains as it is, not I can care less ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

But... have you forgotten the amount of flaws and problems this game has? Does it really seem appropriate to waste time and resources just for another map... which will work as badly as everything else?
How does someone complain every now and then... rightly... BEFORE any other bullshit added they should fix everything in the game, including vehicles.
And, in any case, before a map with a lot of sea and peninsulas, at least functioning boats would be needed, otherwise there is a lot of sea and wasted coast and many useless walks to get around the gulfs.
And having boats available, I would prefer maps like Tanoa or Abramia. Maybe with the possibility of building rafts until you find a boat to repair and use... a bit like vehicles now.
This would be interesting, but leaving the game as it is now, just any other maps, I don't see much use.
I haven't even tried DeerIsle, which is free, and I don't even think about buying Livonia even for 5 € in promotion (with so many absurd bears and nothing costs ... Bah) of any other map, as long as the game remains as it is, not I can care less ...

It's a hypothetical discussion anyway, there are no plans for more DLC:s for DayZ in the foreseeable future. Livonia was a bit of a gift from above - if I remember right the map had been originally drafted for DayZ but ended up being used for an Arma3 DLC, then they realised they had this map that basically only needed mission configurations to be ready for DayZ so they did it - and I for one like it a lot. The same can't happen with other Arma3 maps, simply because it would require extensive conversion work of nearly all assets to make them work in DayZ. They don't have the manpower to do something like that at this point - and indeed they have more important work to do with the game itself still.

This might change in the future if and when Enfusion is completed and Arma4 is a thing - I wouldn't be at all surprised if DayZ is remastered into a full Enfusion "DayZ 2" before we see any more DLC:s.

But for anyone aching for new maps to play on I can warmly recommend taking a good look at the steam workshop - Deer Isle, Namalsk and Esseker are well known and popular and very well constructed map mods. There is a port of Takistan coming soon, plus a large map set in Australia was teased in a podcast recently. This will of course not help console players who want in on this, but what can you do...

A map like Altis would not make any sense without proper vehicle gameplay...with its dry and barren setting its highways and many airspots it would be absolutely perfect for some kind of  Mad Max experience. Fighting for water and gasoline, roaming the wide and dry open lands, having zeds packed in cities and mililtary bases...random earth quakes as a result of the Arma 3 events...yeah 🙂

On 5/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, Derleth said:

It's a hypothetical discussion anyway, there are no plans for more DLC:s for DayZ in the foreseeable future.

[cut]

Livonia was a bit of a gift from above

[cut]

Well yeah... it was obvious it was a hypothetical discussion. These programmers don't even fix what the players ask for, let alone if someone thinks that it is enough to take a poll in a forum to get new maps... 😄
And...
I don't think "Livonia" is a gift ... I've seen it sometimes in promotion, but never as a gift. They charge for that map.
They could have given it to the community after all these years of problems and defects NEVER fixed, although I would still prefer repairs.
However from what I see of this latest update (1.12: the worst ever) it is better that they NEVER touch anything again that every time they put their hand to this game they always ruin something.
It would be nice if the game passed into other hands, or sold or as a gift... Or they could give it to the community, I bet that the various modders who "hang out" on DayZ would be able to fix it in a short time better than anything BI has done up to Now.

Edited by Riddick_2K
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

I don't think "Livonia" is a gift ... I've seen it sometimes in promotion, but never as a gift. They charge for that map.

I meant that as an allegory of course. And while it certainly would have been nice to get a free DLC, BI is a business after all and need income, the millions they made on DayZ EA are long gone - devs have a salary, development costs money. Pretty much everyone who want DayZ already have it, and since it is not a subscription based game or has micro-transactions, loot boxes or other crap like that they chose to charge for the DLC. I don't blame them.

As for repairs and 1.12 I can seriously not understand many of the complaints about it. It is actually a good patch, not "the worst ever". They fixed a ton of bugs as usual - just read the change log - and addressed gunplay balance issues the pvp crowd have been nagging about for years - and listened to feedback when the first few iterations were violently off. Tougher zombies - I think they're great. Not perfect yet, long way to go before they come near perfection, but way way better than before. Zombies should be a threat, and contrary to what many are saying here there are ways to handle the zombies in melee. The changes promote actually using the tools that have been in place for a long time - blocking, sidestepping, heavy attacks - but were rarely used because zeds were so weak there was simply no need. I still think they need to tweak some things, for example the head hitzone damage reduction needs to be reduced, and blocking a heavy attack from a zed should at least remove the risk of getting a bleeding wound.

Vehicles? We already know why they freak out sometimes - underlying issues with the physics system in the game engine, paired with server performance and desync. This is nothing the DayZ team can do on their own - allegedly the people who worked on those things are  no longer on the team but are working on Enfusion. Once Enfusion has these issues ironed out the fixes will hopefully be applied to DayZ. Either that or they just go "fudge it" and port DayZ to full Enfusion...

• Sad 1