VVolf10

Food and survival rate

What's up survivors?

Recently I came back to DayZ with a few friends after some time off playing some other games. As expected DayZ is still as fun and even more fun due to some changes that I was not aware of.

However, my friends and I are becoming frustrating with the survival rate of your character and the severe lack of food sources. When I last played (months ago) I could collect cans of food, fruit and mushrooms, so a long walk through the woods was survivable. However, now just basic walking will cause two arrows below your food icon and I seem to be quickly going into yellow and red food status in what seems to be an excessively fast time frame. In the past if you decided to walk through the woods you could easily find at least 6 mushrooms and now I am lucky if I find one.

I have died a few time already very soon after re-spawning because I could not find any food (or very minimal) and quickly starved to death, so how as a new spawn are you expected to survive? Even in real life death from starvation can take 30-40 days, so how the hell are characters in the yellow in the matter of minutes and then down to red and then dead so fast? I get it that fruit and small cans of food can only sustain for so long, but the current state seems way aggressive..

If you are taking your time walking and slowly looking around your food should last much longer and the rate at which you go down should be much slower if food is going to be hard to find. With that said if I happen to find three apples and eat them I should be sustained for longer than 10 minutes.

The entire food / starvation rate seems to be very off and honestly now I started to step back away from DayZ. Is this a know issue and are Devs looking into fixing this? I hope so, because I died twice last night from starvation last night shortly after spawn because I was in the middle nowhere and food zero food except the plum you spawn with. If I cant find any food and the rate drops so fast that is just not fun.

• Thanks 1

If you're on public server it's mainly due to people duping and hording items. This is why I only play community servers now, sick of never finding anything and dying repeatedly on public.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, iTux said:

If you're on public server it's mainly due to people duping and hording items. This is why I only play community servers now, sick of never finding anything and dying repeatedly on public.

Hmm ok good to know. What is the main difference with public vs community?

1 minute ago, VVolf10 said:

Hmm ok good to know. What is the main difference with public vs community?

All items contain the following flags:

<flags count_in_cargo="0" count_in_hoarder="0" count_in_map="1" count_in_player="0" crafted="0" deloot="0"/>
    What these do:

• count_in_cargo - Count items stored in containers as part of Nominal Value (0=False, 1=True)
  • count_in_hoarder - tents, barrels, undeground stashes (0=False, 1=True)
  • count_in_map - Count items in map as part of Nominal Value (0=False, 1=True)
  • count_in_player - Count items stored in Player Inventory as part of Nominal Value (0=False, 1=True)
  • crafted - Is the item a crafted item (0=False, 1=True)
  • deloot - dynamic event loot objects - helicrashes in majority of cases only by default

(credits to https://trugaming.com/wiki/index.php/DayZ:_Other_Game_Info)

So in public servers each item has different settings to basically mean everything in cargo, hoarder, map and player all count to the overall nominal (the amount of that particular item allowed on the map). So once these nominals hit the max, they will stop spawning until another of that item despawns.

Some private/community servers stop this by setting the values to 0, meaning it doesn't count towards the nominal and will constantly keep spawning (until the max nominal is spawned). For example:

<type name="AK101">
        <nominal>5</nominal>
        <lifetime>28800</lifetime>
        <restock>1800</restock>
        <min>2</min>
        <quantmin>-1</quantmin>
        <quantmax>-1</quantmax>
        <cost>100</cost>
        <flags count_in_cargo="1" count_in_hoarder="1" count_in_map="1" count_in_player="0" crafted="0" deloot="0"/>
        <category name="weapons"/>
        <usage name="Military"/>
        <value name="Tier4"/>
    </type>

The default types XML markup for the AK101. As you see cargo and hoarder are both set to 1 on public/standard servers, this means if the AK101 is placed in a car, barrel, stash or something alike, it will count towards the amount on the map, so if you put 5 of them in a barrel, they stop spawning. Set these values to 0 and they will continue to spawn.

Private servers are so much better IMO because there's such a diverse range of playable servers catered for each individuals play style. Whether that be hardcore survival or max loot servers for PVP. Just gotta find the one you like the most 😉 

Hope this helps, if you're confused about anything just ask 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

He talked about food: cans of food, fruit and mushrooms. I don't think there are "hoarders" of fruits, mushrooms and cans. Also because there will be so many that collecting them all to block the spawn seems to me practically impossible.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

HEH, I thought you said you could just look up the Answers online?

Answer 1: Dont Cheat

Answer 2: Be patient

Answer 3: Spend some time walking around instead of running aroundlike a chicken with its headcutoff

Edited by Exxoduss
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20.11.2020 в 4:25 VVolf10 сказал:

Как дела выжившие?

Недавно я вернулся в DayZ с несколькими друзьями после некоторого перерыва, поиграв в другие игры. Как и ожидалось, DayZ по-прежнему интересен и даже веселее из-за некоторых изменений, о которых я не знал.

Однако мы с друзьями начинаем разочаровываться из-за выживаемости вашего персонажа и острой нехватки источников еды. Когда я в последний раз играл (несколько месяцев назад), я мог собирать банки с едой, фруктами и грибами, так что долгая прогулка по лесу была пережита. Однако теперь простая ходьба вызовет две стрелки под вашим значком еды, и я, кажется, быстро перехожу к желтому и красному статусу еды в, что кажется чрезмерно быстрым периодом времени. Раньше, если вы решали прогуляться по лесу, можно было легко найти как минимум 6 грибов, а теперь мне повезло, если я найду один.

Я умирал уже несколько раз очень скоро после повторного нереста, потому что я не мог найти никакой еды (или очень минимальной) и быстро умер от голода, так как же вы, как новый нерест, должны выжить? Даже в реальной жизни смерть от голода может занять 30-40 дней, так как же, черт возьми, персонажи в желтом цвете за считанные минуты, затем становятся красными и так быстро умирают? Я понимаю, что фрукты и маленькие банки с едой могут выдержать очень долго, но нынешнее состояние кажется агрессивным ...

Если вы не торопитесь ходить и медленно осматриваетесь, ваша еда должна длиться намного дольше, а скорость, с которой вы опускаетесь, должна быть намного медленнее, если пищу будет трудно найти. С учетом сказанного, если мне случится найти три яблока и съесть их, я продержусь дольше 10 минут.

Общий уровень еды / голода кажется очень плохим, и, честно говоря, теперь я начал отходить от DayZ. Является ли это известной проблемой и пытаются ли разработчики ее исправить? Я надеюсь на это, потому что прошлой ночью я дважды умер от голода, вскоре после появления, потому что я был в середине нигде и не ел никакой еды, кроме сливы, с которой вы появляетесь. Если я не могу найти еду, и скорость падает так быстро, это просто не весело.

Totally agree with you. The restart of loot in the game is very long, after the last updates it became even harder to survive. It is very difficult for beginners to play this game. The developers are so stupid that there is no online presence, and now there will be even less. About loot weapons, I generally keep quiet ...

• Beans 1

For 2 days of playing, I did not find any weapons, a couple of pistols, and even then they were badly damaged. This is funny. I am deleting this game, otherwise it will not be possible to play.

• Beans 1

21 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

He talked about food: cans of food, fruit and mushrooms. I don't think there are "hoarders" of fruits, mushrooms and cans. Also because there will be so many that collecting them all to block the spawn seems to me practically impossible.

True, the only flags for food is count_in_map so you're right that wouldn't affect the spawns. 

• Confused 2
  • Beans 1

On 11/19/2020 at 7:25 PM, VVolf10 said:

What's up survivors?

Recently I came back to DayZ with a few friends after some time off playing some other games. As expected DayZ is still as fun and even more fun due to some changes that I was not aware of.

However, my friends and I are becoming frustrating with the survival rate of your character and the severe lack of food sources. When I last played (months ago) I could collect cans of food, fruit and mushrooms, so a long walk through the woods was survivable. However, now just basic walking will cause two arrows below your food icon and I seem to be quickly going into yellow and red food status in what seems to be an excessively fast time frame. In the past if you decided to walk through the woods you could easily find at least 6 mushrooms and now I am lucky if I find one.

I have died a few time already very soon after re-spawning because I could not find any food (or very minimal) and quickly starved to death, so how as a new spawn are you expected to survive? Even in real life death from starvation can take 30-40 days, so how the hell are characters in the yellow in the matter of minutes and then down to red and then dead so fast? I get it that fruit and small cans of food can only sustain for so long, but the current state seems way aggressive..

If you are taking your time walking and slowly looking around your food should last much longer and the rate at which you go down should be much slower if food is going to be hard to find. With that said if I happen to find three apples and eat them I should be sustained for longer than 10 minutes.

The entire food / starvation rate seems to be very off and honestly now I started to step back away from DayZ. Is this a know issue and are Devs looking into fixing this? I hope so, because I died twice last night from starvation last night shortly after spawn because I was in the middle nowhere and food zero food except the plum you spawn with. If I cant find any food and the rate drops so fast that is just not fun.

I agree completely.  I appreciate the addition to the survival mechanics but this is to extreme for me. Even after I switched (from Military gear) to a quilted jacket and face mask with "Best" insulation, boots and gloves with high/medium I still can't even travel from one town to the next without almost freezing and starving to death.  I think this needs to be toned down a lot.  This is my favorite game, it is all I play and I am afraid if this doesn't get fixed or tweaked I'm going to have to step away as well.  I'm not finding it fun in it's current state.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Survivor-Ajax said:

I agree completely.  I appreciate the addition to the survival mechanics but this is to extreme for me. Even after I switched (from Military gear) to a quilted jacket and face mask with "Best" insulation, boots and gloves with high/medium I still can't even travel from one town to the next without almost freezing and starving to death.  I think this needs to be toned down a lot.  This is my favorite game, it is all I play and I am afraid if this doesn't get fixed or tweaked I'm going to have to step away as well.  I'm not finding it fun in it's current state.  

I think its perfectly fine, im not struggling for food and I just look for clothes with high to best insulation. cook meat that you hunt straight away, actually dry it so it lasts much longer and it fills the character much more. this update has improved survival if you ask me.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 2

It did. But your toon eats an insane amount of food. I wonder, is it that hard to make a mechanic whereby he needs to eat a decent meal twice (or even three square meals) in a game day?  A couple of chicken breasts or a steak?

I'm liking the new cold weather mechanic, but I've been dressed in Hunter gear anyway for the year, so this mechanic hasn't really been too much of a learning curve for me. And I've always avoided the rain, so there's nothing new to my playstyle with this patch with regards to that. Plus, I'll often just pick a secluded house to spend the night in, as boring as that sounds, so colder nights haven't been a factor.

I think this patch has been harder on the crowd that run around at night in the pissing rain and newspawns the emerge on a desolate coastal area that go around in a panicked state and are now not only looking at their food meter going from yellow to red in the space of 20 minutes, but the temp icon constantly turning blue cos they're only dressed in a pair of torn knickers.

34 minutes ago, rackinglad27 said:

I think its perfectly fine, im not struggling for food and I just look for clothes with high to best insulation. cook meat that you hunt straight away, actually dry it so it lasts much longer and it fills the character much more. this update has improved survival if you ask me.

I new about the smoked meat, thanks.  But I feel like I am missing something else.  I remember freezing once before the update, all I was missing was something on my head.  I put on a face mask and was fine.  My pants are the only thing I have now with low insulation.  Could this be causing my problem?  Because something isn't right.  

If someone on the official public server setup 5 barrels (containers) full of food inside one of the huge buildings in Cherno and food stop spawning in the houses nearby in Cherno - it is a horrific system which need to be dealth with as soon as possible. Also long server ping kicks is annyoing as fucking hell and ruin your gaming session with Dayz as well.

And some have been waiting since 2014 for a finished product, but every new patch break something that is a huge issue which is ignored by this community. Food comsuption I ate a whole pig without getting full health/water and it feels like you need to eat/drink all the time which is annoying as well. It has nothing to do with realism to eat & drink that often, besides it is consumption issue with the new patch with pigs and grilled/cooked steaks.  

Edited by Nebulae3
  • Thanks 2

If someone on official public servers setup 5 barrels (containers) full of food inside one of the huge buildings in Cherno

ah, you've visited my base

• Haha 2

Have to admit, trying to get away from the coast now is nearly impossible, unless your capable of hunting something down. Ontop of that, apparently there is an "over eating" penalty. I was starving, got a goat, ate the fat till I seen the recirculating sign, and then I threw up......no full apple due to throwing up......what the heck?!?! wasted a lot of fat =/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, James Adam Rimmer said:

Have to admit, trying to get away from the coast now is nearly impossible, unless your capable of hunting something down. Ontop of that, apparently there is an "over eating" penalty. I was starving, got a goat, ate the fat till I seen the recirculating sign, and then I threw up......no full apple due to throwing up......what the heck?!?! wasted a lot of fat =/

I think eating too much fat will make you hurl.

Probably like real life, it has to be said.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

I think eating too much fat will make you hurl. Probably like real life, it has to be said.

I agree, however there was no warning or mention of this in the patch notes....I agree with the idea and the mechanic, but at least some sort of heads up of "your character is now full, please quit eating" not "too late, throw up now."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Adam Rimmer said:

I agree, however there was no warning or mention of this in the patch notes....I agree with the idea and the mechanic, but at least some sort of heads up of "your character is now full, please quit eating" not "too late, throw up now."

You have to pay close attention to that symbol and stop eating/drinking immediately when it first appears.  If you do that, you should be good, but if you continue for even a few seconds after, you'll barf.

I personally enjoy the new mechanics a lot. FINALLY food is not hot anymore in the jackets forever. No more heat cheating 🙂 God I hated that so much.. Plus the heat buffer works great. Warm up at a fireplace, then go out into the rainy night again and keep working for an hour, repeat. Great! Firewood could just be made stackable tbh. You can carry 6 of them inside a fireplace thats only 5x5 but you cant stack em alone.

About the spawning however, especially mushrooms and the like.. Ye, you need to give that stuff some time to spawn too. If I spend some time in an area, the forests around start to spawn a lot of shrooms. But your character also blocks spawns if it is too close. Apparently its technically impossible to have loot just spawn on its own - it needs a player in range to initiate it. It's always been like that. The buildings/objects are not active/accesible by script otherwise or something like that... And if the player just runs into a town - he will block the zones before he actually triggers a new spawn.

If you are desperate for loot and you cant make it to another town due to hunger/thirst, you can wait 200-300m outside town for a while. It will pop some new spawns on empty loot spots after about 5min. It's kinda cheesy.. but it's how it works. I just try and do it "naturally". Take a turn through the forest first, observe the town a little before I go in.. etc. And dont "switch" a clothing item right from the ground when you find it. That way you block the loot spawn with your athletic shoes or your tshirt for the rest of time. 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

23 hours ago, drgullen said:

You have to pay close attention to that symbol and stop eating/drinking immediately when it first appears.  If you do that, you should be good, but if you continue for even a few seconds after, you'll barf.

I have to say, I don't think I hesitated when I seen the symbol. As I said, I was starving, so I hit it and was concerned with nothing else, so when it popped up, I quit immediately. My only guess is I was consuming faster than my apple symbol was indicating. From now on, will only eat a couple bites of fat at a time. 

• Beans 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:17 AM, James Adam Rimmer said:

From now on, will only eat a couple bites of fat at a time. 

Unnecessary. The symbol you got only indicates that you were eating too much too fast. Doesn't matter what the food was. You can get the same status by drinking water. Just don't try to eat or drink too much in one go (meaning multiple food items), simple as that. 🙂

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

On 11/23/2020 at 11:59 PM, James Adam Rimmer said:

Yep. Happened to me too

• Beans 1

I dont think the fat was ever intended to be consumed. 

But, as in a lot of things in DayZ, I could be wrong.

I know the same ting happened when I ate a whole bag of rice in one sitting---  *Ralph*

Edited by Exxoduss

MY Advice:

New spawn (bambi)

1. look for a knife

2 look for cloths to rip up into rags + gloves + rope

3. look for an animal or dead player for bones

Spoiler

and craft a fishook

4.  find a nice grove of fruit trees next to some body of water.

5. set up a fireplace and have it ready to go along with a fishing pole and pointy stick

6. Catch a fish- prepair it, eat it

Spoiler

and when your done eating it and relaxing for a few minutes, get up and walk around the fruit trees for desert.