Sign in to follow this  
Influence_X

Make a tutorial. DayZ is not hard, it just needs to be explained.

With the statement on the status report saying "we have a hard time explaining the medical system as it is"... Is because there is no explanation. 

Is it so hard to make a survival tutorial? 

DayZs medical system is not horribly complicated. Rust, Ark, The long dark, Project zomboid all have pretty similar complications (sometimes more).

What stands out about dayZ is there is absolutely no tutorial. This would go a very long way in explaining the game mechanics. 

Does this not seem like basic video game industry logic? Make a tutorial to explain the game?

It almost feels like a cop out to avoid implementing an advanced medical system.... It wouldnt be hard to have a survival tutorial that shows you how to make a fire, reload a gun, bandage and take care of yourself when sick... Etc. 

• Like 1

^^ Agreed!

DayZ does not have that complicated a medical system and you're 100% correct -- a simple tutorial or a help menu to explain what the little symbol that just popped up means and what you need to do to medicate it would suffice.

Now SCUM has a complicated system -- first day I saw that screen, I got a headache!  😋

• Beans 1

Ya there are plenty of other features that are way more complicated then the medical/injury system. Might aswell have a survival tutorial, that way we don't compromise aspects of the game just to make things easier to understand for new players,  compromising now is pointless as like i said there are more complicated features already. 

It's just Bohemia looking for an excuse to wind down development don't look too deep into it.

Just brain storming, i think the tutorial should take place on your 1st playthrough automatically, starting you off with a broken leg & drenched in water ext. (maybe have tutorial spawns). That or have a way to see what items you need to fix your condition, like a textbox in the inventory screen or if they really wanted to overhaul the medical/injury system they could make a whole new screen just for displaying your characters medical condition aswell as ways to diagnose and then treat your conditions. It's hard to imagine that BI seriously think that this feature would make the game to complicated, as @azimov stated, it sounds like an excuse.

Edited by Robzom11

14 minutes ago, Robzom11 said:

Just brain storming, i think the tutorial should take place on your 1st playthrough automatically, starting you off with a broken leg & drenched in water ext. (maybe have tutorial spawns). That or have a way to see what items you need to fix your condition, like a textbox in the inventory screen or if they really wanted to overhaul the medical/injury system they could make a whole new screen just for displaying your characters medical condition aswell as ways to diagnose and then treat your conditions. It's hard to imagine that BI seriously think that this feature would make the game to complicated, as @azimov stated, it sounds like an excuse.

I get it, but like I said. It's a lame excuse. We used to have more complex systems in previous versions and people were just fine with it.

• Like 1

Impulz said: "...we are still struggling to fully explain the complexity of the existing system to the majority of players..."

This would imply that it is explained in game somewhere, but nobody understood the explanation.  You can't say you're struggling to do something if you haven't even done it once.

Is it really that complex even?  Things can make you sick and then you need to loot and ingest medicine to make you not sick.  There you go, explained it in one sentence.

A lame excuse indeed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, azimov said:

I get it, but like I said. It's a lame excuse. We used to have more complex systems in previous versions and people were just fine with it.

Ya i agree. If they were to clarify the medical system into its own screen like i said above then there wouldn't be a problem for those who may have a problem understanding, not like that would take much effort to make either. Never have i seen anyone talk about how complicated the medical system is infact it's usually the other way around.

Edited by Robzom11

Instead of a tutorial or a help menu, they should just publish pamphlets and posters in appropriate areas in-game.

Clinics should have posters about cleanliness and how to prevent and cure infectious diseases.  Hospitals should have posters explaining the more advanced medical practices.  Morphine and epinephrine should occasionally be found in boxes of 3, with an instruction booklet included.  Holiday camps should have posters explaining water purification, lighting fires, and other survival-type skills.  Construction yards should have posters explaining the materials and order of operations for base building. Garages should have posters explaining vehicle maintenance and repair.  Hunting lodges should have posters about skinning and trapping. Pubs should have posters about cooking.

All of these things can also be made into leaflets you can pick up and take with you, that can be found most likely in the appropriate areas and sometimes in random locations.

There, problem solved.  No tutorial, no help menu.  Just some resources in-world, that explain the way specific things work in this world.

Any questions?

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

For me the fun thing (part of) about games is the learning how to play it .. . . the exploration as you learn the mechanics of the game  . . You start out as a noob, not knowing where to get water, guns  etc and finish as an expert knowing about illnesses, bases, specific map locations, cars etc.. . .

relatively there are no end of youtube videos and walkthroughs available, Im not really sure how much more you need. .  .

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

7 hours ago, aux7 said:

For me the fun thing (part of) about games is the learning how to play it .. . . the exploration as you learn the mechanics of the game  . . You start out as a noob, not knowing where to get water, guns  etc and finish as an expert knowing about illnesses, bases, specific map locations, cars etc.. . .

relatively there are no end of youtube videos and walkthroughs available, Im not really sure how much more you need. .  .

I know many people who could have used a tutorial starting this game.

Edited by Influence_X

8 hours ago, aux7 said:

That's for you (and me too), but not everybody is like us.  Some people need extra help and even a simple in-game glossary showing all the health icons, what they mean and in the case of sickness, what the player needs to do in order to rectify the health issue would really be helpful, IMO.  Sure, you can Alt-Tab out of the game and start watching YouTube videos, but wouldn't it be better to maybe type something like "/help health" in the chat box and have some text or image appear?

One of the things that first attracted me to DayZ was the fact that you spawn somewhere and back in the original engine days, there was nothing on your screen at first.  It was you standing in some open space with no direction whatsoever.  I loved that -- here you are, you're in it now dude, get to it.  But remember, after a few minutes, that engine would prompt "I am thirsty" to the user, so I think something similar to someone struggling to figure out what to do would be a welcome addition.

8 hours ago, Influence_X said:

I know many people who could have used a tutorial starting this game.

I googled some stuff, and kinda felt like a goon for doing so.

Tatanko did a great job with the wiki.