nemorus

"Out of memory" problem

Hello there,

I'm writing because "DayZ" (SA) died on me and i don't know what else i could do to fix that. During gameplay (modded server) the game just froze along with my ssd. After i've fixed what was wrong with the drive, i was left with the most resilient bug i've ever faced. The game just won't start. Doesn't matter if i reinstall it, where or with what. Erasing temporary data ain't working, validating ain't working, changing drives ain't working, launchers ain't working, parameters ain't working, cleaning computer ain't working, scanning memory/drives ain't working, vram settings ain't working, changing sockets/cables ain't working - nothing's working. The only thing i haven't touched is the registry itself.

Out of memory (requested 0 KB). footprint 2172214055 KB.

ProcesorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz / (RAM)16,0 GB / GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 / At lof of free space

The game was ok for years - i've burned over thousand hours through it and now i must retire, because it don't want to see me online again...

Please help and Best regards ;).

This is from Arma 3, but is a similar issue:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123534

Delete your /My Documents/DayZ folder and your /{username}/AppData/Roaming/DayZ folder, then restart your computer and then try the game.  This will delete your keybinds, so you'll have to set those up again.

Nope, ain't working. I've got nothing going on in the "Roaming" folder that's linked to "DayZ" - things are stashed in "Local". But it doesn't matter much, since the game won't launch even after being reinstalled from scratch. There must be something that've i missed - either hidden files, memory failure or a setting in the registry. I'm gonna mess around with RAM a bit and see if that takes me somewhere. Cheers!

5 hours ago, nemorus said:

Nope, ain't working. I've got nothing going on in the "Roaming" folder that's linked to "DayZ" - things are stashed in "Local". But it doesn't matter much, since the game won't launch even after being reinstalled from scratch. There must be something that've i missed - either hidden files, memory failure or a setting in the registry. I'm gonna mess around with RAM a bit and see if that takes me somewhere. Cheers!

Just to clarify -- in this reply, you didn't mention your /My Documents/DayZ folder -- did you delete that?  There's profile info in that folder similar to the one being talked about in that Arma 3 link.  I don't remember if that folder gets removed when you uninstall the game, so you should delete it just in case it has been there from your original install.  You should also delete the Local folders as well as they will get regenerated on the next startup.

Oh i know the drill - including reverse keybinding. I've removed MyDocuments folder multiple times and came up with zilch. I've also extensively analyzed memory, which took a few hours. In the end "DayZ" won't launch and i have an ultimate way to deal with this - which is to remove everything and reinstall the whole OS. But it's annoying, since it means that i've failed to fix simple error. It has to be some detail, maybe just one file hidden somewhere. And i can't deal with that ;).

Ok, i give up. I have no ideas left, except for changing entire computer parts - which is not needed. Even formatting and reinstalling OS didn't work. From what i've gathered It's not file-based problem, unless steam is dowloading compromised files each time (i have reinstalled the game at least four times, on different drives).

The only thing that've changed is the crash information. The footprint numbers are slightly different (2172214055 > 2172213769).

I don't belive this game needs more than 16gb of hard memory and i have at least 14gb unused each time. What can i do?

5 minutes ago, nemorus said:

Ok, i give up. I have no ideas left, except for changing entire computer parts - which is not needed. Even formatting and reinstalling OS didn't work. From what i've gathered It's not file-based problem, unless steam is dowloading compromised files each time (i have reinstalled the game at least four times, on different drives).

The only thing that've changed is the crash information. The footprint numbers are slightly different (2172214055 > 2172213769).

I don't belive this game needs more than 16gb of hard memory and i have at least 14gb unused each time. What can i do?

game only really uses about 7GB of ram typically

do you have an ssd and a hard drive?

Whats the size of your ssd?/hard drive

is that really an i5 760?

Whats the ram on your gtx 660?

it was running ok until when - 1.01, 1.02 or?

Two ssd's - ocz vertex 2 and ocz vertex 3 - each has around ~60GB of space. None of them are overloaded.

zG76brw.png

MMQECOy.png

KWbBGKG.pngcookMmd.png

szFN0sZ.png0ZSotsY.png

a8kLlkm.png

And it was running without any memory issues since 2014. The last version known to me is "1.03.151658". As far as i know the game just died on me and none of my components are at fault. Or at least i haven't found any mishaps.

Edited by nemorus
photos hosting changed

27 minutes ago, nemorus said:

Two ssd's - ocz vertex 2 and ocz vertex 3 - each has around ~60GB of space. None of them are overloaded

And it was running without any memory issues since 2014. The last version known to me is "1.03.151658". As far as i know the game just died on me and none of my components are at fault. Or at least i haven't found any mishaps.

is dayz installed on the main ssd or the secondary?

Another guy on here had out of memory issues, I thought it was his ram, but it seems he had dayz installed on the secondary drive. He installed it onto his primary and ran it from there and everything was fine.

its something you could maybe try?

other than that there are a load of out of memory threads on steam you could look through. . .

the forum will only load pictures through IMGUR . .

I've tried both drives in that matter and the results were the same - which is none.

Already checked all that other topics as well. I've done my homework before asking here. Right now i'm installing experimental version of "DayZ". Just for the hell of it :p. Who knows? Maybe testing version is more stable.

10 minutes ago, nemorus said:

I've tried both drives in that matter and the results were the same - which is none.

Already checked all that other topics as well. I've done my homework before asking here. Right now i'm installing experimental version of "DayZ". Just for the hell of it :p. Who knows? Maybe testing version is more stable.

ah well, sorry I have no other suggestions. I hope you find the issue . . .

I've googled this and everyone says deleting the profile in /My Documents/DayZ is the fix.  I know you said it didn't work for you.

This might be worth a shot -- uninstall DayZ, uninstall Steam, then reboot your computer, now create yourself a new Windows user on the computer (make sure it has Admin privileges), reboot again and log in with that new user, now reinstall Steam to somewhere other than /Program Files (I have mine as just C:/Steam) and then reinstall DayZ again.  I'm wondering if whatever happened with your SSD issue somehow corrupted your Windows profile?  I dunno, shot in the dark here.

Sure, but what's the point since i've reinstalled the OS? And i did format the drive before that. Either way everything is fresh. I have eliminated every inch of old data before needed drivers, installing steam, downloading "DayZ", c++ redistributables and the "battleye". It should work and it's not.

I have bought a new drive - just to be on the safe side, but it should work on the old ones nevertheless. I mean everything else is working without a hitch. Kind of "DayZiness" i guess :>.

Oh, I didn't know you'd reinstalled the OS already -- scratch that idea then.

Hopefully, it works on the new drive for you.

One last effort failed as well so i was forced to send a ticket into feedback system. https://feedback.bistudio.com/T141302

Experimental "DayZ" is working like a charm. Stable version isn't working at all. I don't know anymore, the game is dead :).

It seems the problem lies in the files steam is downloading by default. Or at least if i remove dta/product.bin file, the game will try to load properly And then crash. Replacing this thing isn't making things any better and i cannot simply open it with random text editor. Still it is progress.

No...? It doesn't feel like it. The file settings are the same as the experimental ones.

I'm gonna wait for this new ssd to arrive and reinstall the whole thing - and i mean whole. There won't any secondary discs, everything will run from one big one. And hopefully it wil magically fix itself. If not, then i guess i'll leave it to developers. It might be some update that i was cursed with. Black magic or something!

Newest patch didn't changed a thing - still "out of memory". Tomorrow i'll put my hands on the new equipment to see if there's any way out of this predicament. I don't believe that GPU/RAM are at fault.

It's not working. There might be a clue in a mini dump file, but opening that needs more than just valiant efforts. Even new equipment haven't brought me any kind of answer. I just don't know anymore - it just stopped working on itself and never came back.

I don't know what else to suggest at this point in terms of fixing this issue.  Earlier in the thread, you said the "DayZ Experimental" client was working.  Is that still the case?  Some people have upgraded their community servers to the latest exp patch, so maybe you can use IP:port and just play using the Exp client for now?

I have reinstalled the os again on the new drive, so the experimental version needs to be reinstalled as well... I just don't want to do it again. Each time this thing needs at least a few hours to run. All i found is this dta/product.bin file that may or may not have something to do with it. There is absolutely no anwer from Bohemia (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T141302) and i've also reached the end of my patience. It screwed itself so why should i care?

Sorry and Thanks for trying. Time for me to give up on this game.

3 hours ago, nemorus said:

I have reinstalled the os again on the new drive, so the experimental version needs to be reinstalled as well... I just don't want to do it again. Each time this thing needs at least a few hours to run. All i found is this dta/product.bin file that may or may not have something to do with it. There is absolutely no anwer from Bohemia (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T141302) and i've also reached the end of my patience. It screwed itself so why should i care?

Sorry and Thanks for trying. Time for me to give up on this game. 

I understand that 16GB is more than enough to run any game. If there are any current problems in the RAM, the OS redirects task data to the paging file, so it works in the OS. Did you try to increase the paging file and make a fixed size for it?
Unfortunately, the ticket that you created is not available for viewing to regular users.

Edited by lex__1

It wasn't my idea:

Geez changed the visibility from "Public (No Login Required)" to "Custom Policy".

Propably because of files included or security reasons.

Swap file has been checked. Being disabled, enabled or modified (smaller than default, bigger than default) - it doesn't matter.

16GB is my current limit, since it's also my MOBO's limit. The game was working for years without any problems of that nature - and it wasn't stuttering festival. Frame rate was rather smooth. At least smoother than Bugthesda's "Skyrim".