Kent Gissing

Why is it so difficult to drive?

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 AM, -Gews- said:

Here's one from Reddit just today (lol)

mkKpFnz.png

Please someone comment for that guy that in-game brake with keyboard is no or full brake. Nothing between. Then he might understand the logic...

I think what he meant was:  

In DayZ: When you're approaching a curve at a high speed, your vehicle will not turn, although you are trying to steer.

Even if you'll lose speed (by braking a little and/or shift to a lower gear), your vehicle will not gain it's traction back and launch you out of the curve.

The only way to avoid this situation currently is to:

1. Slow down a bit before the curve

2. Shift to a lower gear

3. Hit the gas, a split second after entering the curve (exactly at the point where you feel the wheels were supposed to grip the road).

Tested and Verified with the Gunter (Exp. 1.03)

gunter-149.jpg

Edited by Tarkules

impossible to drive cars

#crying: but HEY! we have a lot of weapons available! we just have to murder each other like the rest of the people...

Definitely happens too often. I'm in a private Nitrado server playing solo and this happens. I don't see how games like GTA5 can have a huge world with so many constantly moving parts and the stagnent, but beautiful world of DayZ have frame stutters when driving. Hell even PUBG has improved its frames while driving and in general since launch.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, matiman said:

So if you have a slight internet lag, server will continue to move the car forward, but client will freeze (as it can't reach the server for few seconds), and when the client resync with server, your car will be teleported forward (may be in a tree or a wall if your unlucky..)

In some part, maybe you're right. But I have a consistent opinion that the server part of the game suffers from poor performance of the game code or even the occurrence of errors on the server side. Any acceleration of a pedestrian or driver character often (or easily) reproduces many delays. Sometimes you can even notice disruptions in the connection of a PC with the Internet. But this never happens in other games or in other applications running on the network. Suddenly, you can notice a problem in the game, but there is no loss of communication with the server, and there is no loss of communication packets with the server over the CMD monitor. Data exchange inside the game is very low.
Some cases of which it follows that the behavior of machines and characters does not have software protection against failures within the game or communication:
- The server often does not record changes in the location of items
- Players see different objects in each other's hands.
- Players continue to see objects in their surroundings, which someone took.
- Players do not see objects in their surroundings that someone threw.
- When entering the server, the player can see the accelerated rewind of the scene frames that were in this place, some time ago, before the player entered the server.
For example, the scene is loaded by default with closed doors in the barracks, and at one moment all the doors open, and sometimes the character who opened the doors runs through. Why does the server keep this for my login?
- The client who has lost the exchange packets with the server, gets the damage of the machine on his screen, flying into the water or into the tree, and on the server players see the car standing in place, far from any objects and suddenly smoke begins to go from the car.
This is not considered or provided mechanics, the lack of data protection from errors. It is possible that the processing of the character's movement and the machine were put on the side of the client, but did not provide protection for the client from losing the surface of the landscape under their feet and wheels. You can provide at least parking, stopping movement to either side.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Let's not forget that on the calculators of the last generation (PC) we had fewer problems with the disynchronization of modem communication in the series of Armagh games.                                                                                                     

Edited by lex__1

The client-server communication I don't know if they can ever fix.

But since this thread was posted they fixed the brakes somewhat, in Patch 1.08.

Why they released a game where braking sends you into four-wheel skid and didn't improve it for 7 months, I don't know. It didn't feel like a full release to me.

From that one change vehicles drive significantly better now.

"Changed: Vehicle brake power is now increased over time instead of instantly"

This was not a bad run.

Handling is still terrible and slow to respond. Modding values shows there's maybe some potential for improvement.