Sign in to follow this  
repzaj1234

Health/Blood regeneration tweaking.

Here we are having near death fire fights and coming back to fight in full health within 15 minutes.

Fixing the health and blood regen can be a huge difference maker and add some sort of survival aspect to this "survival" game. People would actually have to think about what they are doing. No more fighting 6 zombies all at once and regaining your full health back in a couple minutes. Hell, it'll create more player interaction which is sorely needed as well.

Fixing HP and blood regeneration should just be a matter of tweaking values right? Please for the love of god, tweak it for the next experimental patch. Dean Hall would be disappointed!

2 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

Hell, it'll create more player interaction which is sorely needed as well.

How would this create more player interaction?  

Also, why do you think more player interaction is sorely needed?

Blood transfusions, the only thing that can't be done by yourself and forces you to work with another player. Imagine being severely low on blood and having the original regeneration system. You spot another player, you'll have to:
A. Come up to them and interact, see if they'll be willing to help.

B. Trade goods for assistance

C. Hold them up and force them for your own survival

D. AFAIK, you cant draw blood from dead people. Lessens KOS.

As I said, it's a pretty simple fix that can affect the game in a HUGE way.

DayZ is a game built on player interaction. Player interaction and survival. Both of which have been very disappointing.

Edited by repzaj1234

10 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

Blood transfusions, the only thing that can't be done by yourself and forces you to work with another player.

There's nothing forcing you to work with other players.  I posit that your odds of surviving wouldn't be less by hunkering down and just waiting it out.  In this this case, tweaking the numbers just results in more waiting around.  So, it's mostly about the patience of the player.

13 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

Dean Hall would be disappointed!

That's adorable.

10 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

D. AFAIK, you cant draw blood from dead people. Lessens KOS.

/facepalm

• Beans 1

Also, why do you think more player interaction is sorely needed?

What's so off-putting about player interaction to you? This game is a role-playing survival game based solely on player-to-player interaction.

There's nothing forcing you to work with other players.  I posit that your odds of surviving wouldn't be less by hunkering down and just waiting it out.  In this this case, tweaking the numbers just results in more waiting around.  So, it's mostly about the patience of the player.

Also by the way you answered this, are you fine with the way regeneration is right now? Where you just regain full health within minutes? DayZ isn't the arcade drawn-out shooter you want it to be. Sure, you can play that way, just join any arcadey casual server but the core game is not. I'm a long time mod player, but just bought DayZ at 1.0. When did the overall direction of the game switch from hardcore survival game to this casual crap? Diseases, broken bones, any semblance of a health system and all the other survival aspects aren't even in yet. Just pretty disappointing overall.

Also by the way you answered this, are you fine with the way regeneration is right now? Where you just regain full health within minutes? DayZ isn't the arcade drawn-out shooter you want it to be. Sure, you can play that way, just join any arcadey casual server but the core game is not. I'm a long time mod player, but just bought DayZ at 1.0. When did the overall direction of the game switch from hardcore survival game to this casual crap? Diseases, broken bones, any semblance of a health system and all the other survival aspects aren't even in yet. Just pretty disappointing overall.

The current regeneration is just fine.  If you get into a string of encounters you're able to stabilize and get out of it, or you die.  It's not horrible when you consider zeds.  You can either find a safe spot and get out of the jam, or you get overwhelmed and die.  The balancing isn't terrible, in my opinion.

As far as survival goes, well, I've always been of the opinion that PVE will always be a cakewalk and there's not much the game can do about it.  Hardcore survival outside of PVP just isn't possible,  you just cant balance properly in a single instance sandbox, mostly because there's no real progression.  You're already at the endgame when you wash up on shore.  IMO. 

What's so off-putting about player interaction to you? This game is a role-playing survival game based solely on player-to-player interaction.

I simply wondered why you think we need more player interaction.   You *DO* realize that even killing-on-sight is player interaction, right?

It's totally fine that you want regeneration to take longer.  To me, it seems like the result will be that people will be sitting around doing more of nothing, which is fine by me, actually, but not really beneficial to the game.  Also, some of your reasoning and logic seems questionable.  I like that you're questioning the system, though.

5 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

When did the overall direction of the game switch from hardcore survival game to this casual crap?

.. er .. Xbox,  I think
happened at the same time - maybe just a COINCIDENCE

I agree, health and blood regen in general is WAY too easy. Honestly if u get shot in the leg, surviving in the wild, your probably going to die with time (infection, blood loss, etc). But in DayZ u just have to eat some beans hand sit around for 10 minutes. I would love to see long term effects when being shot, I think like OP said it would make people think harder about their actions instead of just "Rambo mode" and hope the other guy dies first.

Health and blood regeneration surely should to be slowed down as currently there's no need to think before hand what you are going to do or could you even survive the situation you are heading in to if you get wounded (tip: you will survive wounds every time without any preparation at all). Current situation reminds me of those crappy fps shooters where you have auto regen for health happening all the time.