Sign in to follow this  
chili1496

Building a base

Noob questions :-

what are the advantages of building a base, are there any at all, is it even worth the effort?

if i build a base on community server 1 and later on i jumped onto community server 2 would my base spawn on server 2?

2 hours ago, chili1496 said:

Noob questions :-

what are the advantages of building a base, are there any at all, is it even worth the effort?

if i build a base on community server 1 and later on i jumped onto community server 2 would my base spawn on server 2?

Other than just learning how to build different things to exercise your creative side there are few reasons to build anything since the whole thing can be wiped accidentally because of a persistence failure or disassembled by a douche canoe in a fraction of the time it took to build it. 

And no- if you build a base on any server it's only ever going to be on that specific server instance... 

Some private community servers are able to enhance backups and minimize the persistence failures... but they're the minority. 

Hi chili1496,

There's no real advantage to building a base. As eno stated bases are easy to break-in on vanilla servers. There's a mod to make bases pretty much indestructible but the community server has to run the mod.

Best case scenario; bases are indestructible and persistence is reliable at 100% = more work for you. Bases are just more work, something to do beside the usual run & gun routine. Base building is very time and resources consuming and requires you already have a few tents filled with base building materials and tools ready for when you found the perfect spot to build your base. You'd better have 20 rolls of duct tape and 50 boxes of nails ready or base building will be very very very long.

TBH the most difficult in base building is to find the right spot for your needs, in other words what do you want a base for? Will it be a place where you can come grab gear in case you win a free ticket back to the coast? In this case the base should be tiny/discreet and relatively close to the coast. Will it be a base to "control" the area? In this case you'll need more room for a bigger base and you'll need people to give you a hand and keep it running and protected from other players.

Choosing the right spot to build a base is not that easy. Terrain that looks flat for you will most of the time not be flat enough for the game and chances are that you won't be able to close the perimeter forcing you to abandon the construction or adapt the shape of your base (a real nightmare). A good trick to know if a terrain is flat enough is to find a car tent and try to place it where you want to build your base. If you can pitch your tent anywhere it means the terrain is flat enough and you can try to build something there. If even before raising the first wall you find out that you cannot even pitch a tent despite being in the middle of a huge field it means the terrain is not flat enough (the slightest of slopes is enough to make a visually perfect flat terrain unfit for construction).

thanks for both replies very good info, after reading them think i will pass on the base building, maybe find someone else's and squat :)

5 hours ago, chili1496 said:

thanks for both replies very good info, after reading them think i will pass on the base building, maybe find someone else's and squat :)

We paint a very bleak picture of base building since that's pretty much the reality we're left with. 

With that said- a couple things I'm going to add: 

The functionality and building of a base is interesting and while time consuming learning the different elements and how they go together will inevitably be worthwhile. Distracting yourself for a couple hours (who am I kidding- many, many hours) in game KNOWING that what you're building will likely not last is not a total waste of time. Not EXACTLY, anyway. I mean... what else is there to do besides covet your favourite gear and maybe kill someone.

I recommend you find some planks... find some sheet metal. Get some nails and a hammer. Build something... see how it works. Tear it down (see how that works and what's left). Cover it with camo netting if you find some... add some levels. Build some stairs. Find some more nails. Chop some trees down. Find some barbed wire. Find a combination lock. Build a fence. Get more nails.  

Don't build anything too elaborate- but do tinker with it so that when the time comes and things are actually working and somewhat protected (or you find a server as mentioned above that adds some mods that protect it) you can confidently make a plan for a righteous base and know how to build it. 

I have to shout out to @Parazight when I write all this since he blew my mind with a base he and a friend had been working on for awhile. I had some pretty low expectations but what they had created was really impressive to me. I knew it took quite some time to build and he knew that it could be erased at any moment- but I was really impressed with the base building functionality. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the state of persistence and how that impacts base building in general- but the versatility of what you can create with the overall functionality was downright impressive.   

So take it for what it's worth... Whatever you build will be vulnerable however will also greatly enhance your knowledge of base building and what it entails. 

Edited by eno
  • Beans 1

Thanks, eno!

23 hours ago, chili1496 said:

Find a low pop server on official public servers.

Build a watchtower right next to a gas station to three levels.

Climb the watchtower and hop over to the top of the gas station.

Switch to a high pop server with your SVD.

5 hours ago, eno said:

We paint a very bleak picture of base building since that's pretty much the reality we're left with. 

With that said- a couple things I'm going to add: 

The functionality and building of a base is interesting and while time consuming learning the different elements and how they go together will inevitably be worthwhile. Distracting yourself for a couple hours (who am I kidding- many, many hours) in game KNOWING that what you're building will likely not last is not a total waste of time. Not EXACTLY, anyway. I mean... what else is there to do besides covet your favourite gear and maybe kill someone.

I recommend you find some planks... find some sheet metal. Get some nails and a hammer. Build something... see how it works. Tear it down (see how that works and what's left). Cover it with camo netting if you find some... add some levels. Build some stairs. Find some more nails. Chop some trees down. Find some barbed wire. Find a combination lock. Build a fence. Get more nails.  

Don't build anything too elaborate- but do tinker with it so that when the time comes and things are actually working and somewhat protected (or you find a server as mentioned above that adds some mods that protect it) you can confidently make a plan for a righteous base and know how to build it. 

I have to shout out to @Parazight when I write all this since he blew my mind with a base he and a friend had been working on for awhile. I had some pretty low expectations but what they had created was really impressive to me. I knew it took quite some time to build and he knew that it could be erased at any moment- but I was really impressed with the base building functionality. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the state of persistence and how that impacts base building in general- but the versatility of what you can create with the overall functionality was downright impressive.   

So take it for what it's worth... Whatever you build will be vulnerable however will also greatly enhance your knowledge of base building and what it entails. 

NIce info and i think sound advice i will tinker

• Beans 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:24 PM, chili1496 said:

NIce info and i think sound advice i will tinker

Eh Chili- how's the tinkering going? What's going on out there? 

Made a bloody mistake and got killed by mad zombies :) making way back to tinkerzone

20 minutes ago, eno said:

Eh Chili- how's the tinkering going? What's going on out there? 

Edited by chili1496

2 minutes ago, chili1496 said:

Made a bloody mistake and got killed by mad zombies :) making way back to tinkerzone

I've been amazed at some of the mistakes I've made that resulted in my favourite dudes being killed by zobs. 

You playing on official pubs? 

48 minutes ago, eno said:

I've been amazed at some of the mistakes I've made that resulted in my favourite dudes being killed by zobs. 

You playing on official pubs? 

I am on a community server at the moment which i quite enjoy, not really tried the official servers yet

7 minutes ago, chili1496 said:

I am on a community server at the moment which i quite enjoy, not really tried the official servers yet

I've got a dude on a community public server... I don't do much with him- but I think he's currently around Sol on the east coast. Maybe we can tinker together at some point. I'll reach out to you in pm.