MetalHead2112

Vehicles stuck in ground. Any fix ?

The vehicles on my server appear to be stuck in the ground, resulting in them exploding when a player enters and killing them. The vehicle is also destroyed. Is there a fix for this ?

This is the first I've heard of this -- they are fine on the server I'm setting up.  There is a bug that's been reported where they tend to want to fly on occasion, but never heard of them partially buried or exploding.

My guess is some or all of your persistence files are corrupted.  As a test, shut down the server, cut and paste the storage_1 folder somewhere else (meaning you'll have a fresh server with no saved loot or characters on the next server start) and then start up the server and see how they look and behave now.  If that works, my guess was probably right and you should just delete that storage_1 folder wherever you put it.  You could potentially save the characters though if you copy back the players.db file from the old storage_1 folder into the new storage_1 folder that was created on this latest server start.

If you've been editing some of the server XML files, you might have messed something up unknowingly.  Another thing to try -- verify your files for the DayZ Server listed under Library > Tools in Steam.  This will download and replace any server files that have been altered from the official versions.

If none of this helps, you should fill out a bug tracker so the devs can look at it.

• Beans 1

Happens on my server too. I'm sure it's a bug with the game. It doesn't have to happen to every single person for it to be a bug.

18 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Happens on my server too. I'm sure it's a bug with the game. It doesn't have to happen to every single person for it to be a bug.

Yeah, true enough.  I'm looking at where you announced your Killin Zedz server -- is yours still not modded at all?  I was just thinking perhaps the car issue is related to modding somehow since mine is not modded and my cars are fine (so far anyway).

My server isn't modded either. Totally vanilla install and the first 3 cars I found had there wheels in the ground and upon entry exploded and killed me. I've done another new install after reading your post drgullen, vehicles seem to be fine this time.

16 hours ago, drgullen said:

Yeah, true enough.  I'm looking at where you announced your Killin Zedz server -- is yours still not modded at all?  I was just thinking perhaps the car issue is related to modding somehow since mine is not modded and my cars are fine (so far anyway).

That hasn't been updated. I did add a few mods but nothing that is making a significant change to game play like traders or safe zones and problems with vehicles being in the ground were reported before mods were added.

5 hours ago, MetalHead2112 said:

My server isn't modded either. Totally vanilla install and the first 3 cars I found had there wheels in the ground and upon entry exploded and killed me. I've done another new install after reading your post drgullen, vehicles seem to be fine this time.

Interesting.  I guess I've just lucked out so far and not had the issue.  The one difference I'm planning for my server is that cars will spawn already assembled.  I've watched too many streams and videos where it just takes forever to assemble the car and I think most people can't be bothered, so on my server, all you'll need to loot are the water, gas and oil to get it running.

So, in my case, I edited the cfgspawnabletypes.xml file and changed the definiton of the car to this:

<type name="OffroadHatchback">
        <attachments chance="1.00">
            <item name="HatchbackWheel" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
            <item name="CarRadiator" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="CarBattery" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HeadlightH7" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackDoors_Driver" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackDoors_CoDriver" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackHood" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackTrunk" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="SparkPlug" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
    </type>

I'm guessing here, but perhaps spawning the car complete eliminates the bug, because as I say, I've been playing around with this for many weeks now on various builds (pre- and post-release) and my cars have never spawned in the ground.

It's probably a multi-faceted bug where x, y and z all have to be true for the car to bug out.  If during my testing, I can make it happen, I'll post my findings here.

1 hour ago, drgullen said:

Interesting.  I guess I've just lucked out so far and not had the issue.  The one difference I'm planning for my server is that cars will spawn already assembled.  I've watched too many streams and videos where it just takes forever to assemble the car and I think most people can't be bothered, so on my server, all you'll need to loot are the water, gas and oil to get it running.

Have you actually tested that yet? I will give it a shot and see how it works out. I know players have also complained of persistence of vehicles, with them disappearing as much as tents and base parts do.

2 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Have you actually tested that yet? I will give it a shot and see how it works out. I know players have also complained of persistence of vehicles, with them disappearing as much as tents and base parts do.

Have I tested what?  Fully assembled vehicles?  If that's what you mean, yes, as I say, for many weeks now, I've been testing them.  I've driven them all over the map, log off, shut down the server and then next day, they're still there, so no persistence issues with them.  I've not had the "flying car" bug either.

I've simulated some server crashes by using the /F switch on taskkill and I notice every time that happens, persistence file "dynamic_000.bin" always goes to 0K.  So, if you have a server crash, you absolutely need to copy over some backup storage_1 folder you have before restarting the server, otherwise you are definitely going to lose some stuff.  Assuming you have a recent enough backup, all the cars should still be wherever they were at the time that backup was taken.

It sucks to have to roll back at all, but it's better than losing everything.

4 hours ago, drgullen said:

Have I tested what?  Fully assembled vehicles?  If that's what you mean, yes, as I say, for many weeks now, I've been testing them.  I've driven them all over the map, log off, shut down the server and then next day, they're still there, so no persistence issues with them.  I've not had the "flying car" bug either.

I've simulated some server crashes by using the /F switch on taskkill and I notice every time that happens, persistence file "dynamic_000.bin" always goes to 0K.  So, if you have a server crash, you absolutely need to copy over some backup storage_1 folder you have before restarting the server, otherwise you are definitely going to lose some stuff.  Assuming you have a recent enough backup, all the cars should still be wherever they were at the time that backup was taken.

It sucks to have to roll back at all, but it's better than losing everything.

Ah, ok. You said "The one difference I'm planning for my server is that cars will spawn already assembled.". I took that meaning that you didn't have your server up yet. Backups are great, but if you aren't around when there's a crash and have no idea there was a crash, you're not going to be able to restore a back up. I hope they get that fixed soon. In the mean time, I also have changed my file so that vehicles spawn repaired. I hope that helps things on my server.

38 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Backups are great, but if you aren't around when there's a crash and have no idea there was a crash, you're not going to be able to restore a back up.

Not true, you can automate the process with batch files.  I'm finalizing one now that should keep my server's persistence to within an hour.  The batch file keeps checking for the existence of the server exe and, when not finding it, copies over the last valid backup persistence folder and starts it up again.  My backups will be taken every hour, so worst-case scenario would be the server crashing in the 59th minute of the hour, which would mean we'd have to roll back 59 minutes to the previous backup.  It's still better than losing everything though.

My server isn't "up" yet per say -- it is here on my laptop while I continue tinkering and setting up.  I plan to put it live soon.

I don't think persistence is ever going to be completely fixed because not only can the DayZ Server go down, but the Windows Server machine itself could for whatever reason.  If the persistence files were being written when the hardware itself failed or the server OS blue screened as examples, you'd still need a backup of some sort to restore to when the machine comes up again.  100% persistence guaranteed is never going to be a thing regardless of what the DayZ devs fix/change.

My server is good with a GSP so I don't have the option too add a batch file. 

I created a new instance, changed the values of

a = "xxx.xxxxx"   to    a = "0.0"       in  cfgeventspawns.xml

and looked at 8 vehicles and they were all right on the ground.

<event name="VehicleOffroadHatchback">
        <pos x="10967.148438" z="5494.307616" a="125.181313" />
        <pos x="11534.269531" z="5014.221679" a="150.176453" />
        <pos x="12896.135743" z="4453.044923" a="334.011871" />

<event name="VehicleOffroadHatchback">
        <pos x="10967.148438" z="5494.307616" a="0.0" />
        <pos x="11534.269531" z="5014.221679" a="0.0" />
        <pos x="12896.135743" z="4453.044923" a="0.0" />

The only problem is that the vehicles buried in their previous instance

will remain buried, destroying the vehicles for a new spawn.

At the moment this is all I could find out.

Regards.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:20 AM, drgullen said:

So, in my case, I edited the cfgspawnabletypes.xml file and changed the definiton of the car to this:

<type name="OffroadHatchback">
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
            <item name="CarRadiator" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="CarBattery" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackDoors_Driver" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackDoors_CoDriver" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackHood" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="HatchbackTrunk" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
            <item name="SparkPlug" chance="1.00" />
        </attachments>
    </type>

I'm guessing here, but perhaps spawning the car complete eliminates the bug, because as I say, I've been playing around with this for many weeks now on various builds (pre- and post-release) and my cars have never spawned in the ground.

It's probably a multi-faceted bug where x, y and z all have to be true for the car to bug out.  If during my testing, I can make it happen, I'll post my findings here.

What are your settings for the 'events.xml' for the Hatchback? And is there anyway to speed up the respawn times?

I didn't change anything in regards to the hatchback in events.xml, only the percentage chance in cfgspawnabletypes.xml.

As for respawning them quicker, I'm not entirely sure how that works.  There are cleanup values in global.xml, but I don't know if those also apply to vehicles.  You could try tinkering with those numbers and then ruin a car on purpose and see how long before it despawns.  I know there's also some randomness as to where a ruined car respawns (i.e. a car spawn point can at first have a car, but on next server start, that same spot doesn't have one as that car spawned somewhere else this time).