0.64 Freerider

*LET'S TALK ABOUT FOOD AND DRINKS*

VOTE HERE!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the proper implementation of stomach volume/vomiting?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but in a different way, than you have proposed. (Let us know in the comment section!)
    • No. (Please tell us in just a few words or more if you like, why you think it's not fitting for DayZ)

Did you know that you could store up to 50000 units of energy in former versions of DayZ?

You probably all noticed that you can keep stuffing food in your mouth without any penalties. I do not know what the current number is, but regardless, the result of the number having been that high, is not only everpresent but even exaggerated, as the player doesn't have to vomit (or only after an insane amount of food and drinks). YES, vomiting used to be a thing and an important limiting factor. Anyways here is, what problems I have with it being the way it is right now:

1. It's partially immersion breaking, clearly

2. It requires less planning ahead by the player

3. It messes with the loot table

The first two ones are pretty self explanatory I believe, but I will touch a little closer on that 3rd one: 

If there are no penalties for eating everything you find, guess what you will do. Exactly! And so, as a result, if an area was picked clean, there won't be any food left. There will never be a moment where you are like: "Ok, my stomach is full, my character seems pretty well energized and I have no more space in my backpack....aah whatever I still have two cans in my backpack, let's just leave this one." - NO, right now people will obviously pick up everything and eat it right away, until maybe at one point they feel like they have already eaten so much they don't need to, for another 7 or even more hours (the sky seems to be the limit).

So here's my proposal: In my opinion DayZ does NOT need a crazy detailed metabolism system such as the one SCUM has implemented. All we need is proper stomach volume and digestion times (emptying the stomach gradually, so you can eat more). When you push past that stomach volume by a certain amount, your character should have to vomit (just like it used to be in the legacy version) AND we need a cap that makes sense, for how much energy your character is able to take in total, to avoid the situation where your player will never have to eat again, before he dies 48 play hours later!

Anyways, thank you for reading, feel free to VOTE and share your THOUGHTS in the comments, where I will be happy to discuss it with you.

Edited by freerider3434
  • Beans 2

Yes...dayz need something.

I ate few days ago three rams/sheep raw.no health problems beside vomiting two times cos full stomach.

• Beans 1

Yes, additional balance passes need to be considered. Everything needs to be implemented before balancing is worth doing, however. 

• Beans 2

Honestly, this is a pretty terrible poll.  I won't be voting.

Of course people want proper implementation of a mechanic.  Who in their right mind would want improper implementation?  That's ridiculous.  Option one is to agree to common sense.  Option two requires the reader to come up with their own solution.  Possibly an improper solution.  This requires a bunch of extra work, relatively speaking.  Not practical for a poll.  Option three suggests that you'd want improper implementation.  

It's really hard to believe that the devs would demand that the current balance is set in stone, so this poll sort of comes off as whining, imo.

First of all,  the maximum amount of calories used to be 20.000 and I believe it still is. Also, I still think there is vomitting right now. At some point you will get an icon that your stomach full is and if you keep eating you'll vomit. At least, it used to be this way earlier in 0.63. When I get the icon I always stop eating or drinking.

And I do leave food behind if I have a lot of calories stored already. But there is way too much food anyway.

• Beans 1

On 12/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, Parazight said:

Honestly, this is a pretty terrible poll.  I won't be voting.

Of course people want proper implementation of a mechanic.  Who in their right mind would want improper implementation?  That's ridiculous.  Option one is to agree to common sense.  Option two requires the reader to come up with their own solution.  Possibly an improper solution.  This requires a bunch of extra work, relatively speaking.  Not practical for a poll.  Option three suggests that you'd want improper implementation.  

It's really hard to believe that the devs would demand that the current balance is set in stone, so this poll sort of comes off as whining, imo.

Hmm, good point. I can see the terminlogy "proper/improper" being problematic. How would you be setting up the poll. I'd be glad to get a suggestion for it. Your interpretation of this being whining however, is false.

4 hours ago, IMT said:

First of all,  the maximum amount of calories used to be 20.000 and I believe it still is. Also, I still think there is vomitting right now. At some point you will get an icon that your stomach full is and if you keep eating you'll vomit. At least, it used to be this way earlier in 0.63. When I get the icon I always stop eating or drinking.

And I do leave food behind if I have a lot of calories stored already. But there is way too much food anyway.

I agree that there is too much food, given the very limited current amount of resistance (zeds) in your way to get said current amount. I'd like to get your opinion on the points/questions I've raised as well, e.g. stomach volume, immersion etc.

2 hours ago, freerider3434 said:

Hmm, good point. I can see the terminlogy "proper/improper" being problematic. How would you be setting up the poll. I'd be glad to get a suggestion for it. Your interpretation of this being whining however, is false.

I wouldn't even create a poll.  I understand that balancing needs to happen and the developers are probably aware.  I'm positive they'll readdress it.

• Beans 1

Eating pattern is very good right now. Yes, you have to eat a lot before you get stuffed, but there's food and animals everywhere, if you dont find it, you're doing it wrong way. Try kill zombie maybe

Dont change it please 

I agree but i think when they add this they need to rework the UI around it, before they had it perfect it directly told you your stats pretty much, where as now its less precise. And to anyone who is about to say its a survival game its meant to be hard I agree but in real life you know when you've had enough to eat and drink and you would sure as hell know if your about to vomit if you carry on eating. Revert it back pls thx 

Edited by battlerhd