Franky McFrank

Can opener vs Knife

I remember when I used to play on the PC using an axe or knife (or anything that wasn't a can opener) would cause you to spill the content of whatever you are opening. Unless I'm going mad, it doesn't seem to make any difference on the Xbox version, meaning as it stands the can opener is just a waste of inventory space? 

16 minutes ago, Franky McFrank said:

I remember when I used to play on the PC using an axe or knife (or anything that wasn't a can opener) would cause you to spill the content of whatever you are opening. Unless I'm going mad, it doesn't seem to make any difference on the Xbox version, meaning as it stands the can opener is just a waste of inventory space? 

I used an axe to open some spaghetti and it was only like 2/3 full... 

Did same with can opener and it was completely full.

I have yet to find a can opener!!  So machete, hatchet and hunting knife have had to do.  although I was frustrated to find out that the splitting axe can not be used!! 

1 hour ago, Eeyeoretherealone said:

My combat knife didn’t last as long as a can opener before it became ruined. As far as I can tell anyway

yes knifes tend to brake sooner what I've learned

6 hours ago, Calcifur said:

I have yet to find a can opener!!  So machete, hatchet and hunting knife have had to do.  although I was frustrated to find out that the splitting axe can not be used!! 

the fireman axe can be used... bit overkill for a can of tuna :)

All melee weapons but the crowbar and pipe open cans I use a splitting axe all the time to open cans but you only get 2/3 maybe a half

19 hours ago, Calcifur said:

I ran into a building that had 4 in one room the other day!! 

I finally found one last night, sadly didnt find any tins to open with it and promptly starved to death!!  I have to say that finding food is extremely difficult.  I think I raided every building in Gorka and found one can of beer!!!  

27 minutes ago, Calcifur said:

I finally found one last night, sadly didnt find any tins to open with it and promptly starved to death!!  I have to say that finding food is extremely difficult.  I think I raided every building in Gorka and found one can of beer!!!  

The way forward is chickens (and other animals). You just need a knife to skin it after which will give you 2 chicken breast which you can then cook with a fire. Much easier than scavaging food especially at the start

chickens have saved my bacon in the past, albeit raw.  I can' seem to get the fire to work.  More practice needed.  

3 hours ago, Calcifur said:

chickens have saved my bacon in the past, albeit raw.  I can' seem to get the fire to work.  More practice needed.  

took me about an hour to figure it out. but it's pretty simple once you do it once. My advice is don't do it out in the open as it draws a lot of attention I had 3 people try an sneak up on me on my 1st fire! I did a step by step guide in New player discussion bit on how to cook 

Oh you already commented on it haha

Edited by Franky McFrank
adding link

yeah I saw your step by step.  I managed to make the fire, I just couldn't get the drill to work.  will play about with it tonight and get it sussed.

11 minutes ago, Calcifur said:

yeah I saw your step by step.  I managed to make the fire, I just couldn't get the drill to work.  will play about with it tonight and get it sussed.

the drills don't always work. Although mine have everytime I've done it. I think they are meant to be a hit and miss object so doesn't work 100% of the time meaning you need to craft another one.

I couldn't get it to craft in the first place!!  It could have been me getting the components wrong though.

1 hour ago, Calcifur said:

I couldn't get it to craft in the first place!!  It could have been me getting the components wrong though.

or the order you do it! 

bark from tree

sharpened stick in hand

combine

I think