Max Head

RETURNING AFTER 2 YEARS

I'm not sure if you have found out yet @Max Head, but the zombies are now dropping items in their inventories.  If you kill and loot every one you find, you have a high chance of getting a cutting tool and some food before you leave your first town.

There is only one permanent solution to rainy server, and that is rain gear; raincoats, firefighter gear, and gorka are all waterproof.  Getting to a firehouse is my main go-to in the rain, but you can always blanket search a couple small towns to maybe eventually find a raincoat soon.
Things that I find useful when running in the rain might include staying under tree cover to block 60-80% of the rain as you travel.  It is also helpful to avoid wearing a wet shirt or jacket if you are already wet and getting cold, because wet clothes will sap away more heat faster than rain on skin; not sure if wind is a factor yet.
You would be surprised how far you can travel and less often you have to light fires if you get dry and just keep moving.  Sprinting when you are wet and cold buys you time, and looting costs you time before you have to light your next fire.  NEVER wait until you are hypothermic; shaking means you've waited too long already.
If you have an extra rag and want to start a fire on the first try, you can use one stick and a rag to craft a torch, which will light on the first try with a hand drill and then light fireplace on first try.  It's an extra step, but it is surefire.

Good luck out there, and don't forget to loot your zombies.

• Beans 2

Remember in order to loot a zombie, you just need to go prone once, get up and click your heels together twice,  spin around just once (important) in a perfect 360 degree circle, then align yourself with the longest angle of the zombie, hit the inventory key once to see if everything went well and if so you will be able to loot the zombie, if not then move forward closer to the zombie and side to side say a prayer and try the inventory key again, if that doesn't work repeat the process, but then add in "drop your weapon to the ground and crouch twice, down then back up," in between the heal clicks and circle. Mmmmk, that should about do it. Now i have a few extra things i do to ensure i can loot a zombie the 1st - 3rd time i click the inventory key, but not everyone has a protractor or angle gauge so i'll just leave you a good starting point, okay.

Edited by libertine
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, libertine said:

Remember in order to loot a zombie, you just need to go prone once, get up and click your heels together twice,  spin around just once (important) in a perfect 360 degree circle, then align yourself with the longest angle of the zombie, hit the inventory key once to see if everything went well and if so you will be able to loot the zombie, if not then move forward closer to the zombie and side to side say a prayer and try the inventory key again, if that doesn't work repeat the process, but then add in "drop your weapon to the ground and crouch twice, down then back up," in between the heal clicks and circle. Mmmmk, that should about do it. Now i have a few extra things i do to ensure i can loot a zombie the 1st - 3rd time i click the inventory key, but not everyone has a protractor or angle gauge so i'll just leave you a good starting point, okay.

Maybe you ought to kill it first ?

For an emergency "get dry" in case you are soaked and shaking. Go upstairs in some building and close the door so you wont be disturbed. Drop ALL your gear. Put your head in a corner of the room and just run like mad.  In a while you will start  "warming up". It takes a while but keep running hard (you won't go anywhere because you're running non-stop into the room corner). Eventually if you don't starve from exertion you'll be dry. then put your gear back on it will be dry too. - This is just a go-to in case you are soaked and freezing and stuck unable to make a fire, and need immediate survival action, but it works. It will save your life.
One click on any part of your dropped gear will bring it back to you - so you could keep an eye on your gun in case you hear movement or the door starts opening.  Walking in on a naked guy with an AKM might make any intruder hesitate just for that vital fraction of a second.. ?

• Beans 2

Just being in a closed building should warm you up slowly IMO.

@pilgrim: Does your game not require you to be at a specific angle distance to loot the zombie?

19 hours ago, libertine said:

Hilarious and tragic at the same time as its funny and yet soo true ..   Hilagic!! 

You know I might employ this as a general tactic in life situations I just cant handle..

9 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Walking in on a naked guy with an AKM might make any intruder hesitate just for that vital fraction of a second.. ?

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, libertine said:

Just being in a closed building should warm you up slowly IMO.

@pilgrim: Does your game not require you to be at a specific angle distance to loot the zombie?

If you are soaked and cold you'll die before you warm up. I was pointing out how to actually survive in the game. It's a good idea to be on the second floor in a corner away from an entry, because one or two zombies may gather at the bottom of the corner beneath you (if they "sense" you) - and also you have a chance of hearing someone coming in. This "take off all your gear and run like mad in a corner" is simply an emergency survival technique that works, so you avoid death. Think of it as IRL doing violent strenuous exercises and jumping about and clapping your arms, if you want to equate it to a real situation.
And no -  if your core temperature has dropped or is close to failing, and your clothing is soaked, being out of the wind and rain motionless in a long-deserted completely unheated house may NOT save you at all.  And it's a pity there are no blankets on the beds.; or in the game. You can do a LOT with a blanket.. the disaster should have left hundreds. 

I don't often loot zombies - generally I keep away from them or stealth - it's more fun.  But ones i have looted (rarely & only a few) I've had no problem. Except one that dropped into the ground and vanished .. I just thought (puzzled) maybe it had despawned really fast because it was desperately needed on some other part of the map?

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

On 11/8/2017 at 10:17 PM, Kohlbar said:

I agree with this, they hardly ruin clothes now let alone break bones. I would much rather be scared and sneaking around than easily walking 20 ft away with one looking at me that still doesn't aggro. This would also make dispatching zombies more of a priority when entering towns because you could not easily loot around them, and I for one appreciate dispatching zombies.

Yes - I admit i DID get a LOT of fun out of the original DayZ Mod zombies.. crawling past them (real close), or them suddenly running amok, or hearing a shot in a building and more and more zombs start coming in up the stairs.. and their crazy running at where you ARE now. so when they get there they have look where youv'e gone and then run there. (even if it was a stopgap it was REAL brainlessness, Great).   And the mess they could make of you (and the Horrible Sounds of your death) .. I remember having a leg broke and fighting them off with an axe from the ground until no more came, then i couldn't move or even stand because I was under a pile of dead zombies and I had to wait till they one by one de-spawned before I could even crawl out of there.. And ways to trick them, like crouching behind a trash container while they walked right past knowing they wouldn't sense me. Lying on the edge of a roof and watching them gather underneath. And the way they would start moving in bit by bit from the fields towards you if you stayed in one place. And if you "talked" on the server they HEARD you and freaked out. But mainly the stealth aspect, and the damage, and PLENTY of zombies.. and the way they walked and ESPECIALLY how they RAN fast like crazed mad worm-brain zombies. Even scoping a town and seeing zombie action meant someone was around - I think that was fair gameplay.. I REALLY LIKED those crazy zombs.  

And I liked dead players lying in the street till reset (ie for a LONG time).. that MEANT something.. and hearing the FLIES somewhere close in a building or tall grass.  =Immersive= That was Good Stuff. Today's zombs are for the WEAK - In the DayZ Mod I've seen fully mil-kit fully-armed guys go down fighting, overwhelmed, ripped to shreds and EATEN .. -  That's what makes a player into an adult. I can take it  but I'll never be the same again.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 4

12 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Yes - I admit i DID get a LOT of fun out of the original DayZ Mod zombies.. crawling past them (real close), or them suddenly running amok, or hearing a shot in a building and more and more zombs start coming in up the stairs.. and their crazy running at where you ARE now. so when they get there they have look where youv'e gone and then run there. (even if it was a stopgap it was REAL brainlessness, Great).   And the mess they could make of you (and the Horrible Sounds of your death) .. I remember having a leg broke and fighting them off with an axe from the ground until no more came, then i couldn't move or even stand because I was under a pile of dead zombies and I had to wait till they one by one de-spawned before I could even crawl out of there.. And ways to trick them, like crouching behind a trash container while they walked right past knowing they wouldn't sense me. Lying on the edge of a roof and watching them gather underneath. And the way they would start moving in bit by bit from the fields towards you if you stayed in one place. And if you "talked" on the server they HEARD you and freaked out. But mainly the stealth aspect, and the damage, and PLENTY of zombies.. and the way they walked and ESPECIALLY how they RAN fast like crazed mad worm-brain zombies. Even scoping a town and seeing zombie action meant someone was around - I think that was fair gameplay.. I REALLY LIKED those crazy zombs.  

And I liked dead players lying in the street till reset (ie for a LONG time).. that MEANT something.. and hearing the FLIES somewhere close in a building or tall grass.  =Immersive= That was Good Stuff. Today's zombs are for the WEAK - In the DayZ Mod I've seen fully mil-kit fully-armed guys go down fighting, overwhelmed, ripped to shreds and EATEN .. -  That's what makes a player into an adult. I can take it  but I'll never be the same again.

The screaming player as the zombie eats him was epic.

• Beans 1