SillySil

The reason why it's "shoot on sight"

the reason people shoot at sight, is because of people playing this game as it was deathmatch... /thread

the reason people shoot at sight' date=' is because of people playing this game as it was deathmatch... /thread

[/quote']

Sometimes that may be true. I've done it out of pure paranoia though.

it's kos because the game is in alpha and zeds are no real danger, while survival is easy after a certain level of experience and/or gear is reach. there's basically no other reason. people are looking for something to do.

I just recently started playing, and the first time I came across another player, I saved his life by axing a zombie that was attacking him. I didn't know how voice chat work, so I just left him and continued my search of the area. Saw an AK-47 looking weapon, and while I was trying to figure out how to pick it up, the guy walks in, grabs it, and shoots me.

I can say that after that experience, I probably won't trust another person. So it only takes 1 backstabber to ruin those of us who actually want to be kind to other players.

Me and my little bro snuck up on 2 guys the other night. One went into a small town while his buddy stayed proned on the outskirts. We snuck up on the lone guy outside of town and as I approached, he turned to me. I didn't shoot, neither did he. But he went prone and started shuffling behind a tree and I could see his Lee. As soon as he poked out, I shot him. I have to say, that was my first murder, and I felt pretty bad. I roll with a big crew these days. Today we let a guy go who logged in at a tower in the airfield that we were at. You dont HAVE to kill everyone you see, but when weighing the pros and cons, it makes more sense.

A. They probably have useful loot, more than an entire town raid could yield.

B. They will likely kill you. I can't count how many times I've been killed. Once, I was sniped at the power station north of elekto on the 3rd floor. I didn't even hear the shot.

I have to say though, the group of guys I play with now formed around one of them saving me when I was unconscious, (he dragged my body to safety, bandaged me and showed me where to find weapons), and since then we play every night.

When we get our hands on a chopper, we are going to rescue newbs from elekto and cherno. We will test their worth and MAYBE take them to our camp.

What amuses me about the whole PvP thing is that threads like this invariably get posts on the lines of: 'it's part of the game' date=' suck it up loser, it's kill or be killed in the bad-ass world of the zombie apocalypse' although generally with more spelling mistakes. And yet all the evidence suggests that when the going gets tough these self-proclaimed bad-asses pussy out. Sure, they're tough as old boots when it comes to shooting unarmed survivors and sniping people who haven't seen them but when faced with someone who shoots back they can't hit Alt-F4 fast enough.

[/quote']

Verified 100%

That's what me a two friends of mine do now, we hunt down deathmatchers.

When they're more than 1 of them, each time we flanked them from behind the hill they're sitting on, once we shoot one of them, the rest all magically disappear.

i wouldn't say my clan has a shoot on sight policy. we say we do but we honestly haven't engaged anyone that wasn't hostile first. we've been playing for awhile and would outgun nearly anyone we face as a group. we've seen more alt + f4s in the last week than we've seen playing anyother game any of us have ever played. it's pathetic really. oh you want to snipe at two guys down in the town over there? hate to break it to you but there are 4 other players covering them so don't pussy out when the hail of bullets comes back at you.

over and over again, bandit engages, we maneuver our team, we all open up at the exact right moment and boom guy disappears into thin air. sad little boys really.

in fact the other day i was near stary and i see a survivor running through a field directly away from me. it was a simple shot really and i line it up and just before i pull the trigger i remember all of my clans ambushes. i pull out my binocs and check the treeline, and theres two of his buddies. have a nice day gentlemen.

if you don't have the common sense to check for players covering your target, and you have no thoughts about killing another player themselves then you deserve to die, full stop.

A few stories in this thread are familiar to me. In my case I logged-in near the fire station north of Cherno, and the first thing I see is this guy followed by four zeds, bleeding the hell out of himself.

So I think what I would like people to do in that situation: help the poor fool get rid of those zeds. And I did. Patched the guy up, he gave me some blood. All fresh and good to go each our own way.

So apparently the guy goes into the fire station and finds a submachinegun as I'm walking towards the church. Next thing he does is checking the gun works using me as a human target. Lead bukkake for me, full auto right on my head.

"What the f-OK, is that the way you say THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME? Wait a mine just right there".

1. Respawn at Prigorodki

2. Get Remington at barnyard

3. Run like a boss to the fire station where this a*hole was still camping at.

4. ???

5. PROFIT

The reason people shoot at sight is because they are assholes. And of course because there are no real consequences for serial killing. Or namely any advantage to letting armed strangers leave unharmed, because chances are that as soon as you turn your head, you'll have it pierced and/or blown.

Someone back there mentioned having player classes. That sounds good to me, and realistic too. Survivors after a end-of-world class event would still be skilled individuals: doctors, firefighters, military staff, but also mechanical engineers, and maybe even construction workers.

Each class would have their own advantages and unique skills, such as trap construction for engineers, self-surgery for doctors, superior athletics for firefighters, construction workers would build structures, and so on.

Maybe then people would care more about "what can we do for each other" and less for the loot and the impending menace of having someone else alive around themselves.

One day...

Then you get what we have here' date=' a kill or be killed society.

[/quote']

Pretty much, I killed another player because I saw him near to my unarmed friend and expected the worst thus I have continued this tradition on each encounter since

in my opinion the reason for KOS is simple.

You start the game (or most ppl did) as a survivor with no bad intensions. After beeing killed several times, ppl are starting to adapt. Meaning now they kill every threat they spot. while it is sad for the community that things going that way, i m ok with that.

I dont need other players whom i cant trust anyway, i ve my friends with me and thats good enough for me.

Just think about it, if this were rl. if you KNOW there are ppl shooting everthing they spot, would you leave others alive ? would you put your life at risk by giving away your position to others etc ? i think you wouldnt ! u would let them pass without beeing exposed or you just kill them.

true. There needs to be a reason why you shouldnt shoot on sight. Currently there really is no reason to just shoot everyone you see. Even if they have shit gear, you can just do it for fun.

True' date=' some people have suggested a Karma system for the game. Whereas the better you act when alive the better equipment you have when you spawn and break legs more seldom etc.

[/quote']

I dont shoot on sight inless I am being shot at, if he thinks I am a bandit I try and defuse the situation, if hes a bandit I click full auto in CQB....

I actually try to avoid other players as best as I can, but I try to give people a chance. I mean, just from a gameplay stand point, there is enough loot for everyone and surviving is so much easier when you help each other out. However since this is a game, people are more obsessed with getting either kills, or even better equip.

Just last night I was spotted at Berezino by some unarmed guy. He came up to me and asked if we wanna hit the town together. I was expecting him to murder me right after getting his pistol, but he didn't. After getting some more supplies, he took me to his buddies at a gas station and the 5 or 6 of us went for a military equip run. This is how you do it.

Not that I complain about the whole pvp drama...I think this tension is one of the unique features of the mod. In other online games, players are forced into opposing teams. Here, it's total freedom...or anarchy.

This is perfectly logical.

What do you think would happen if you'd put a bunch of people with no regard for human life or compassion (since we don't care about other players dying in game in the slightest) on an island with sparse resources and guns. Of course they are going to kill each other.

We don't have conscience in the game. We never cared that our "frags" feel bad when we kill them. Nor that we should either. Mentality is not going to change. We will not start caring about what our "frags" feel.

If you'd want this to be more realistic (since not everyone in real life is like that) the characters we're playing would need conscience and some consequences for being good or bad. There would also need to be peaceful NPC survivors who live in one place without running around and scavenging (since there would be people like that' date=' but being like that in a video game would get boring fast, so nobody is going to be like that in game).

Conclusion: the "shoot on sight" behavior is realistic in a world where nobody has any morals or conscience.

[/quote']

How are you so certain, since we're talking about smoke and mirrors here, about what would be "realistic"? In every zombie movie I've ever seen, prime example being the 2004 remake of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Were they all shooting each other in the mall? With the exception of the one guy in the maternity store but that was because the old hag wanted to shoot his daughter. No, they worked together, reinforced both buses, and made it to the docks. Shit they even had a hard time when that one girl's dad got bit and he had to be executed in the jail cell, and he was circling the drain.

My point? You'll get about as far as a boomerang if you try to work with ONLY yourself in a real zombie situation. They have vast numbers, they don't feel pain, and eventually, they're going to eat you.

You're comparing apples to astronauts by saying "oh my character killed him, i don't feel a thing!" and then thinking it would be the same in life. You'd shit yourself and start freaking out thinking "wow i just fucking killed that person, i just took their life, they won't respawn at the beach this person is not breathing anymore, permanently." Then swirl that around in your head and see if you'll just simply go about your day. You are SO full of shit if you're even thinking you'll do that. Even hardcore soldiers that see the front lines of WAR deal with killing someone for YEARS, sometimes they never get over it.

So you want your spot of realism? ok, in a real apocalypse people would work together because it would reap more benefits than just being a mindless psychopath. More people to keep things secure, more loot power, and manpower in general. Whereas that solo person would be dead the second he made a wrong step.

Conclusion: No, just no.

Because some people don't care if they live or die in game.

Every encounter is just another reason to press fire for them.

"Kill or be killed".

that moment of silence when two people run into each other, whilst going for the same loot pile.

Decided to stop playing for a while after today's random asshole encounter.

Got well kitted out for a change, see a guy in Zeleno running into the supermarket with a train of infected behind him, trying to lead them off with a smoke grenade. I was heading that way myself so decided to stay where I was and wait for him to either run away or get killed.

He runs out of the market and straight towards my position although he can't see me at this point as I'm crouching behind a shed. He runs past, does see me and instead of trying to get away decides to stop and open fire on me while the infected climb all over him. I manage to shoot him dead but then of course his zombie train is all over me and he clipped me with at least one bullet so I quickly go into shock, pass out and get eaten alive.

So well done you fuckwit; If you had kept running you could have lost the zeds and we'd both still be alive but because you absolutely had to stop and try and kill one more player now we're both dead.

I'm going to play something else for a month; I can't take any more stupid for the time being.

It's because the PvE is so goddamn easy. As many other people have said, the zeds are just a minor inconvenience. Traveling from town to town is easy because you're unlikely to even encounter any NPC threat on the way there. The infected may as well not even be there, you could replace the whole infection apocalypse with an earthquake or nuclear winter and it'd be the same thing. There's more focus on survival than the threat of the infected. The AI is too predictable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the game is at the moment, but humans shouldn't be a bigger threat than the infected, it makes no sense really. If we're all forced into a world where we must fight off these monstrosities and survive, why the hell would we be killing each other? However, PvP is still needed. Bandit groups that raid survivor camps in order to survive, that is what I think it should be. Not killing for shits and giggles.

Average Life Expectancy is now 38 minutes. It was 31ish around when the HIVE got DDOS'd.

It's going up.

Average Life Expectancy is now 38 minutes. It was 31ish around when the HIVE got DDOS'd.

Better yet, it was 28 minutes and falling the day bandit skins were removed.

The change that supposedly ruined the game and turned it into an all-out deathmatch happens to somehow correspond with a point of positive inflection for survivability.

It's almost as if the clamor on the forums is out of touch with the reality of the game.

I dont think it is necessary to implement conscience or some consequences for being good or bad for PvP to work properly or how you think it should work (I think it is ok for alpha).

The people are killing each other because there is nothing else to do when you are geared up that brings that much fun (you could hunt or be hunted). For me the solution for this "problem" would be giving the players something to do after they could stand on their own, and it could be anything:

- factions

- owning teritory

- owning or securing the building

The piont is organizing for a purpose, but for me the 40-50 max players per server is to small player base to do that. That why I said it is ok for alpha because I hope Rocket will implement this endgame features and not conscience.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19526

What do you think would happen if you'd put a bunch of people with no regard for human life or compassion (since we don't care about other players dying in game in the slightest) on an island with sparse resources and guns.

We don't have conscience in the game. We never cared that our "frags" feel bad when we kill them. Nor that we should either. Mentality is not going to change. We will not start caring about what our "frags" feel.

I've been "fragging" virtual people since the 56kbps days' date=' and am as desensitised as the next 80's kid... and maybe it's just me, but...

[b']DayZ is the first shooter where I've hesitated a long time before getting even my first "frag", feeling the guilt and knowledge of what I'm about to do grow heavier and heavier in my gut, dragging me down and making it hard to even speak the confirmation over team-speak, that I'm going along with my friend's idea... acknowledging that we stalk this other player to that barn he's heading towards, then set up overwatch on the doors. The run to the stone fence feels like it's taking minutes though my watch shows 30 seconds -- I'm fidgeting with the 'O' key as I think about how many kilometres we've come, and the rarity of the man's DMR and ALICE pack. I think about the friends that he's probably about to reunite with; perhaps he's carrying Morphine to an injured companion? ...my guilt-driven day-dreaming is cut short as the figure of the man emerges from the doorway and is running right towards me. I drop to my knee in a well-practiced reflex -- as automatic as any COD bellyflop -- and although his face is made of static texels, I swear I saw recognition in his eye that he understands that as he sprints towards me with his rare long rifle swaying, this is his last second in Chernarus. There is nothing he can do now. It seems to me he's standing still, but he is in mid stride at full pace. Next thing I know, I'm 3 AK rounds less, and my friend is laughing at our fortune as he quickly approaches the loot. For a while I circle the barn and watch the tree-lines, my friend thinking for our safety, but in truth the loot no longer enticed me. I eventually joined the other vulture, and handed him my Kalashnikov so that I may reluctantly take the blood-stained designated marksman rifle, just to keep up appearances. My friend is keen to try the scope, but I sling it and decide on my Colt .45 for now. The rest of our journey that night was silent, except for the self-rationalizing ego kicking into high-gear: he was coming at you with a gun for Christ's sake, you could've died, serves him damn right! He had no friends with him, he was just a lone wolf out here!! Bastard was heading south anyway, and that DMR was probably for murders in Cherno, I've done a good thing here!!! Yet all that fiery hubris still couldn't fill the hole in my stomach, left by the crossing of a tipping point with the choices I made in that situation. I had found another survivor in this apocalypse, yet before even letting him speak, I had ended his story.

I just recently started playing' date=' and the first time I came across another player, I saved his life by axing a zombie that was attacking him. I didn't know how voice chat work, so I just left him and continued my search of the area. Saw an AK-47 looking weapon, and while I was trying to figure out how to pick it up, the guy walks in, grabs it, and shoots me.

I can say that after that experience, I probably won't trust another person. So it only takes 1 backstabber to ruin those of us who actually want to be kind to other players.

[/quote']

I don't think that should ruin your experience of the game. In fact it's kind of the whole point, trying to figure out who you can trust. As I said in my first post, the fact that it's hard to find well meaning people makes it a rarer and more special event when you do. If we were all just running round saying "Hi" to eachother without any threat it would be like a million other RPG's already out there and would completely ruin the atmosphere.

It's the heightened level of paranoia that makes DayZ what it is.

It doesn't make logical sense to leave people alive. The potential loss of my gear is way more important to me than the potential loss of your gear. So far, my strategy has worked. On my first characters, I tried to work with people and was hunted down and killed every time. Now, I play strictly shoot on sight with anyone who isn't a RL friend, and I've got hours and hours of playtime on my most recent character, which has lasted me since 1.6. My bandit kill count is much higher than my amount of murders, too.