DeeAFC

Game freezes for 20-30 seconds at a time, please help!

I purchased a new gaming PC at the start of the year, DayZ ran completely fine with no problems, but the past month or 2 it freezes constantly, but it's not any normal freezing..

My game freezes for around 20-30 seconds and it happens spontaneously and often. Sometimes the sound in game will drop and around 2-3 seconds later it'll freeze, when the sound goes quiet in game i know its about to freeze, when it does freeze i can still hear people talking in game, after 20-30 seconds it usually goes back to normal and i can play until the next time it freezes which happens regularly. It's become unplayable, i've died too many times to it freezing now where i can no longer play until its fixed and i have no idea what to do. I've tried looking for help but most people experience freezing or stuttering due to bad FPS etc, i've not found anyone else with the same problem as me.

Edited by DeeAFC

OK lets get this sorted man, to start with we will need your PC specs?

Thanks for the response

Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-6700K Overclocked 4.5Ghz Quad Core CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 4K VR Ready Graphics Card

Liquid CPU Cooler

16GB 3000MHz DDR3 RAM

Z170-Gaming K3 Motherboard

240GB (SSD) Solid State Drive 

Edited by DeeAFC

Think we can rule out your computer as the issue. Do you have this problem with any other multi-player games? 

Back in June we had something similar, it became known as the  <1 FPS bug, my solution at the time was to press <Esc> twice and frames would go back to what I was used to, you might try the same.

Obvious thing you probably know - you don't have any auto-updates on or other background stuff running ??  Check nothing else is stealing your bandwidth in unexpected bursts.

- like eg your PC background checking for mail every 10 mins, or your AV file-checking when you open or close a file (lot of files in DayZ).  Many softs (Windows, Skype, Adobe, Nvidea, Corel, AVs & etc, you name it) do full auto-updates and auto update checks, with their default set to, daily, startup, hourly, etc.. unless you tell them NOT to  -  they start downloading in the background. That would do it to your game, especially Win10 update, which takes as much of your bandwidth as it wants whenever it feels like without bothering to tell you. Set it to warn you about new downloads but NOT download until you say so.. etc.. . ..  & dumb to say, I guess you are aware, but make sure nothing else is running in the background and using the web while you play. I guess you're not playing across a wifi? .. No one else using the same connection, or plugged into the same ISP box, or downloading, on skype, watching TV, youtube, or playing some other game in the next room.. ya know ??

Edited by pilgrim*

1 hour ago, BCO Games said:

Back in June we had something similar, it became known as the  <1 FPS bug, my solution at the time was to press <Esc> twice and frames would go back to what I was used to, you might try the same.

This is the first time i've had someone suggest this, i'll give it a try next time, thanks

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

Obvious thing you probably know - you don't have any auto-updates on or other background stuff running ??  Check nothing else is stealing your bandwidth in unexpected bursts.

- like eg your PC background checking for mail every 10 mins, or your AV file-checking when you open or close a file (lot of files in DayZ).  Many softs (Windows, Skype, Adobe, Nvidea, Corel, AVs & etc, you name it) do full auto-updates and auto update checks, with their default set to, daily, startup, hourly, etc.. unless you tell them NOT to  -  they start downloading in the background. That would do it to your game, especially Win10 update, which takes as much of your bandwidth as it wants whenever it feels like without bothering to tell you. Set it to warn you about new downloads but NOT download until you say so.. etc.. . ..  & dumb to say, I guess you are aware, but make sure nothing else is running in the background and using the web while you play. I guess you're not playing across a wifi? .. No one else using the same connection, or plugged into the same ISP box, or downloading, on skype, watching TV, youtube, or playing some other game in the next room.. ya know ??

Thanks for the advice, my computer is still relatively new and hasn't got much on it at the moment so when it comes to having programmes open i never do due to not really having many so that was a quick solution i made sure to check to begin with. I have started closing my web browsers and skype when i play to see if that made a difference.. prior to this freezing happening the game ran fine and i never experienced any freezing, i would always have skype/web browers up on my other monitor when i played as well. I'm connected to the wifi by cable, nobody else uses it apart from me so that won't be it either. It really is driving me crazy now, i've tried so many different thing.

2 hours ago, Fightn Irish said:

Think we can rule out your computer as the issue. Do you have this problem with any other multi-player games? 

I only really play DayZ at the moment and a couple of other games which are pretty standard to run like Football Manager, so i've not experienced it before. 

I've just uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, i was advised to download it to my SSD (i think i did it correctly, i'm not great with computers so it was my first time trying it) and the game ran perfectly for 2 hours until it suddenly froze, i really thought i had it fixed, gahh. 

Leave Windows Task Manager open at the "Processes" tab while you play - the when the game jams, see if something else is using a high % of your CPU. Also check the Networking tab at the same time, see what your bandwidth use is doing. 
- I'm a deep cynic, sounds to me like Win 10 auto-downloading big update files in the middle of your game.. (I don't LIKE win10, heh .. ) - anyway I'd definitely check it was NOT that first.

Also, for starters check you HAVE the latest drivers for your GPU. - Nvidea make that easy.

And then for FUN and to be sure, run DayZ for a full session on all Medium Settings, to see if it still locks up. Just to check.. that's easy.

xxp

Before we rule out the computer I think we should know the temperatures of the CPU and GPU at the moment of freezing. Even if the hardware is new and the CPU is liquid cooled this does not mean the cooling is working well (bios settings, software settings or faulty fans / pump). Also the CPU is overclocked and could become unstable under certain conditions if it doesn't have optimal voltage settings.If TS has little knowledge about computers I wonder who OC'ed the CPU for him? And his or her knowledge about overclocking? Maybe TS did it himself? The problem could be caused by overheating / thermal throttling. Free software that reads all sensors in your system is for instance CPUID HWMonitor: Run it in the background and check the (maximum) temps: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by nl
  • Like 1