Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Finsal

Persistance

Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

So i have a private server and am enjoying running up and down the countryside dodgeing the zeds once again...............

I Found and put down a large military tent put some stuff in it and after a few days it was gone.......

After a bit of reading i see that oil drums and cars and trucks seem to hold stuff forever?

Can anybody give me there thoughts over storage and "persistance" as it stands in game atm?

Thanks loads 

Fin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also heard this 7-8day (43 ingame days) myth, and was busily moving tents every week. Nearby i parked extra tents, barrels and cars. 2 of each, one emty and the other one with items. I never saw only one thing disapear. Interacting with it or not. It was a private server 2 month ago.

B68BFFDA63A4E35823805361A0D68871BD4FB154

Edited by goateswyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.5.2017 at 0:12 AM, Finsal said:

Hi guys 

So i have a private server and am enjoying running up and down the countryside dodgeing the zeds once again...............

I Found and put down a large military tent put some stuff in it and after a few days it was gone.......

After a bit of reading i see that oil drums and cars and trucks seem to hold stuff forever?

Can anybody give me there thoughts over storage and "persistance" as it stands in game atm?

Thanks loads 

Fin

 

Hello,

unless the scenario that another player found your tent and took it the last official statement regarding barrels and tents I know of is the one of Brian Hicks which you can found in the thread under:

Official -> Developer Discussion & Status Reports -> Status Report - 06 Jul 2016
On the first page, scroll down a little there are some posts (dated July 7th) by Hicks_206 regarding despawn of barrels, tents and other items.

So the way it's meant to be is:
Barrels: 8 days
Tents: 45 days
Backpacks: 4 hours
Most items: 30 minutes

The counter should be reset if a player interacts with the items. There was a bug with tents that interaction is not enough and you need to re pitch it. I don't know whether this is still the case in the current version. Might be in there until switching to the new scripting engine is done and all the old scripts are replaced.

That being said, as it is work in progress there is always the chance for bugs that might causing a item to despawn earlier (or later?). I had tents which I did not visit for 2 to 3 weeks and they were still were I left them.

You should also consider that this applies only to servers where persistence is actually enabled. It might be disabled on the server you are playing on which would cause your tent to despawn after a server restart afaik.

Regards,
Radibor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im unsure about the persistance enabled or disabled factors it is my server and i am with gamingdeluxe i had a little look at the variables and cannot see how i can change it..............

Loving being back running from the Zombies tho!

Fin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boom just had a look at the server controls and ticked the little box with persistant time beside it !

Hopefully that will solve the problem with the tent 

Thanks Radibor!

Fin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Finsal said:

Boom just had a look at the server controls and ticked the little box with persistant time beside it !

Hopefully that will solve the problem with the tent 

Thanks Radibor!

Fin

Persistent time is not the same as item persistence. Persistent time is saved to the server, so when activated, the next server start will use the saved time value. In effect, a server restart won't reset the in-game time.

Normal item persistence is a feature that is enabled by default and cannot be disabled through conventional means. All servers that are hosted by BI approved server hosts will have item persistence enabled by default.

Edited by Zahj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.5.2017 at 9:41 AM, Zahj said:

Normal item persistence is a feature that is enabled by default and cannot be disabled through conventional means. All servers that are hosted by BI approved server hosts will have item persistence enabled by default.

I do not host a server so I don't know exactly which settings can be made through conventional means. I experienced a lot of private servers with persistence off, so how is this achieved then? Are there any non BI approved server hosts right now? There are probably a lot more when the server files are released by BI along with the Beta, but there shouldn't be any as of now or am I wrong here?

Anyway, are you sure that server time persistence does not effect item persistence? Depending on how exactly the despawn time is calculated there might be an effect. If the server starts always with the same time a tent you pitched could have it's "time pitched" property set to a time later than the actual current server time after the server restarts as the server time is reset. This might cause the module that is calculating whether to despawn the tent to decide removal of this tent is overdue? Are there any information on how the DayZ (ingame) Server Time, actual time of the hosting OS, despawn timing calculation mechanism are working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Radibor78 said:

I experienced a lot of private servers with persistence off, so how is this achieved then? Are there any non BI approved server hosts right now? 

Persistence means that when the server does a restart, the items on the ground (loot, barrels, vehicles, tents, etc) don't despawn with the restart. Some servers are setup to delete or restore a previous persistent file every reset or after a specified amount of time. Doing so is not having persistence turned off. Right now, there is no option to disable persistence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×