Sign in to follow this  
Declivever

Boil Water

We can boil water already, I've never tried it though. I know you must put water in a pot to boil/cook food. Whether you can drink that water is unknown to me.

Edited by LackLustreSurvivor

Assuming you can drink it (it looks like to me it is just for cooking), does it kill pathogens in pond water?

Has this been implemented yet? Seems silly that the only way to make risk-free drinking water (apart from wells) is through use of chemical pills. Boiling water in a pot, or tin of even plastic bottle should be in game. This would add to the immersion for those who enjoy the survival mechanics of the game. Hope to see it soon.

35 minutes ago, Rekurv said:

Has this been implemented yet? Seems silly that the only way to make risk-free drinking water (apart from wells) is through use of chemical pills. Boiling water in a pot, or tin of even plastic bottle should be in game. This would add to the immersion for those who enjoy the survival mechanics of the game. Hope to see it soon.

In the DZ Mod you could use an empty bean can. Took up one gear space. Always carried an empty can and something to start a stick fire. .. standard survival - hobos been doing this for 200 years..    that would be almost like IRL ! ... Seriously I REALLY don't know why they took the empty can out of the game? Too realistic and obvious & sane?

& just to say - Using a fire drill is =REALLY= NOT=  the best way to start a fire.  Anyone ever TRIED it IRL ??.. there are a dozen better easier ways. A fire drill needs habit and training and the right stuff (not just anything). It is NOT a good way to go unless you have (for instance) some bone dry moss in your pack, and you split damp dead wood to find the dry fragments inside, and have already the correct wood for the drill and (different) dry correct softwood for the drill base. Really - go try it out.  

I was on a reservation in Washington State - friend who lived there said "Want to see how us Native Americans light a fire? " He built his sticks together, threw a quart of petrol on it, said "stand back"  took out a bit of flint and struck a spark off the back of his knife.  

That worked.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

@pilgrim* You're quite right when it comes to the fire drill. I mean for the sake of it being a game it's fine but in terms of realism or dayz it's weird. At the moment its just way too easy to start a fire or to engage in any of the survival mechanics in the game. Not to mention you're able to completely skip the looting part of the game by surviving in the wilderness. Like there's a reason why people who go off doing survival challenges don't ever attempt it without bringing the most basic of survival gear ie: knife, flint, rope etc.

Idk it's a complicated subject. In my ideal world i'd like it if you had to loot first to get basic supplies before heading into the wilderness. Finding a knife/sharp object, finding matches, making rope, bags, bottles etc. And those items should be available to you straight up in the coastal regions. But when modding comes that's where the real fun begins.

• Beans 3

Ahh yes I remember the trusty "empty can". That was one of my favorite pieces of gear in dayZ mod. Always carried one also.

Yeh its pretty rough lighting a fire with a hand drill kit. Usually end up with more blisters than embers. Perhaps extend the time it needs to light and lower the chance to light, making it a survival skill, but not the preferred method if you have another means to get fire.

One item that would be cool would be a Ferro rod (or flint and steel). I always keep one in my hiking backpack. You can strike them so many times and they don't get ruined if they get wet. 

• Beans 2

On 11/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, Rekurv said:

One item that would be cool would be a Ferro rod (or flint and steel). I always keep one in my hiking backpack. You can strike them so many times and they don't get ruined if they get wet. 

Tinderbox:

Get a small empty can like a tobacco tin with a screw-down lid (so the lid is pretty airtight). Fill the can with a folded flat square of old cotton (an old torn bit of shirt) fill it up. Then screw the lid on and cook it - just put it on your burner till it smokes & get it good and hot -  but DONT melt the can. - Dont mind if some smoke comes out. Without air to burn in there the cotton eventually turns to punk charcoal and stays solid and folded. Let it cool completely without opening it. (!)

Try this once and you'll know just how long to cook it for next time, to get it right.  Costs nothing.
Now in the wild if you open your punk can and strike your ferrite spark into it - onto the pad stuffed there (you dont have to take it out.. na - nothing complicated - it just glows burning without flame) - You get a glowing red patch like a cigarette end, STRAIGHT AWAY  - the size of a fingernail - blow on it to keep it going if you want, but it wont usually go out wont go out until you close the can. wind etc just makes it glow more. This is so EASY I even used it to light cigarettes back when I smoked.

When you screw the lid back on the glowing part of the punk will totally go out by itself - you can shut the tin and put it right back in your pocket.
Now you can use that one pad of cooked-burned-black cotton a few thousand times - it just NEVER gets used up. 
I  keep mine in a flat tin that was made for 10 mini cigarillos. Always in my pack with the  ferrite bar & striker  held to it with a rubber band. Total is less than half the size of a pack of cigarettes & weighs nothing.  Easy to make, easy to refill - but it will be 3 years before you need to make more punk. Totally foolproof. 

If you are a fan of that kind of stuff - try it. there are surely websites about making a "tinderbox"

xxP

11rglj9.jpg

tinderbox +  (so what else do you need?)

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 11/20/2017 at 12:58 AM, pilgrim* said:

Tinderbox:

Get a small empty can like a tobacco tin with a screw-down lid (so the lid is pretty airtight). Fill the can with a folded flat square of old cotton (an old torn bit of shirt) fill it up. Then screw the lid on and cook it - just put it on your burner till it smokes & get it good and hot -  but DONT melt the can. - Dont mind if some smoke comes out. Without air to burn in there the cotton eventually turns to punk charcoal and stays solid and folded. Let it cool completely without opening it. (!)

Try this once and you'll know just how long to cook it for next time, to get it right.  Costs nothing.
Now in the wild if you open your punk can and strike your ferrite spark into it - onto the pad stuffed there (you dont have to take it out.. na - nothing complicated - it just glows burning without flame) - You get a glowing red patch like a cigarette end, STRAIGHT AWAY  - the size of a fingernail - blow on it to keep it going if you want, but it wont usually go out wont go out until you close the can. wind etc just makes it glow more. This is so EASY I even used it to light cigarettes back when I smoked.

When you screw the lid back on the glowing part of the punk will totally go out by itself - you can shut the tin and put it right back in your pocket.
Now you can use that one pad of cooked-burned-black cotton a few thousand times - it just NEVER gets used up. 
I  keep mine in a flat tin that was made for 10 mini cigarillos. Always in my pack with the  ferrite bar & striker  held to it with a rubber band. Total is less than half the size of a pack of cigarettes & weighs nothing.  Easy to make, easy to refill - but it will be 3 years before you need to make more punk. Totally foolproof. 

If you are a fan of that kind of stuff - try it. there are surely websites about making a "tinderbox"

xxP

11rglj9.jpg

tinderbox +  (so what else do you need?)

That's quality - thanks for the info. I'll look into making one before the next time camping. Would be a really good addition to the game as well.

• Beans 2

Ahh yes I love this trick. I usually poke a small hole in the box as to let the pressure out and you can see when it stops smoking indicating its pretty much ready. Actually, you can also do this with the trusty "empty drink can". You just have to be really careful the flame doesn't touch the cloth or it lights up, but if you face the drink hole side away from the flame and place it on the edge of the fire you are good go! Its great to see other people into survival...both in game and out !

• Beans 1