Sign in to follow this  
simonvic

Smell System

DayZ should be as more immersive as possible, it should makes you feel a real survivor, it should makes you feel that you are in a real post-apocalyptic world.
To make this possible our character should be able to smell what's around him.

For example...

1. You killed tons of zombies and if you are too much time near them, you will start feel the smell of the rotting corpses and you'll vomit. (same with human corpses) 
    1.1 With future soft skill implementation,with the time you will be always less disgusted by that smell
  2. While you're cooking and the meat is ready you'll get a message "The meat smell good" 
    2.1   or "The meat smell of burning"
  3.  If you damage your vehicle engine -> "I can smell the oil"  or something like that

If you like the idea make more examples, if you don't like it tell me why :)

Yes I like the idea! Would be nice if you can do that with every Item. One problem would be, that the textmessage indicator would get spammed

Im hot

I smell corpses 

Im hungry

I smell oil

It smells awfull

Iam hungry

But for a mousewheel/rightclick option I think it would be great.

I think the text indicators are being replaced by icons.

Smell has been brought up before. It's not something that you see much in videogames, for obvious reasons. If it can be implemented well I'd love to see it - maybe smells can be blown by wind, so you can smell a campfire downwind, and the wolves can smell you.

Vomiting in the presence of corpses I'm not sure about. It takes a while to rot, after all, and Chernarus (but maybe not other maps) is set in autumn, where it'd be pretty cold - so bodies would decompose even slower. Besides that, vomiting would be pretty annoying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Vomiting in the presence of corpses I'm not sure about. It takes a while to rot, after all, and Chernarus (but maybe not other maps) is set in autumn, where it'd be pretty cold - so bodies would decompose even slower. Besides that, vomiting would be pretty annoying.

For this reason I'd like to have it in DayZ, because it's annoying; I'm imaging a "veteran" player standing on a pile of zombies saying "Pff..." while seeing a bambi vomiting for a single zombie.

P.S.
I just go another idea related to this, but I think it's a bit useless opening another thread. You should be able to put gasoline from a canister on dead corpses and put them on fire with matchbox or a torch, so you'll make the corpses "no more lootable" instead of using "Hide body"

Edited by simonvic

On 7/26/2016 at 8:00 PM, BeefBacon said:

I think the text indicators are being replaced by icons.

Smell has been brought up before. It's not something that you see much in videogames, for obvious reasons. If it can be implemented well I'd love to see it - maybe smells can be blown by wind, so you can smell a campfire downwind, and the wolves can smell you.

Remember hicks saying about the corpse piles you need to have a facemask if you want to loot those?

Toxic smells. Not sure how much we will get sick from things.

I do like the idea but only so much so, its not all that important since we really arent humans in a game.

I agree with what your saying too.

You guys know those aren't rotting undead but rather rabid humans right ? They don't smell like carcasses while being alive, just like dirty hobos screwing in a shoe box full of piss. 

Edited by General Zod

On 2016-07-30 at 6:32 PM, sneakydude said:

I do like the idea but only so much so, its not all that important since we really arent humans in a game.

That's the thing about DayZ tho: Realism.