Sign in to follow this  
emuthreat

engraving guns/other items

It would be very helpful to emergent and organic game-play, if weapons could be engraved permanently until despawn.  Once someone finally gets their favorite zombie killing pistol tricked-out they can then engrave their name or "woot" or pretty much any other short format phrase they like.  This could be applied to many different items, if a knife or screwdrive were required to engrave hard items, but a only a pen were required to write on other types of items.  A good benefit of this feature would be that you can verify players as hostile actors if they are found in possession of certain marked items.

• Like 4

As much as I like this idea, we know it won't happen, in lieu of seeing guns named " Suck my D*ck " and so on.

Sadly, this is why we can't have nice things.

I figure people wishing to tag their weapons for security and identification purposes would try to choose something a little more original.  People will always try to makes dicks out of whatever new tools are available, it doesn't mean people should stop producing them.

• Like 1

And honestly, this game isn't for children, so it shouldn't be something the dev team stresses over. Give us the tools, and sure we'll see a dick pop up here and there but honestly, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. 

18 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I figure people wishing to tag their weapons for security and identification purposes would try to choose something a little more original.  People will always try to makes dicks out of whatever new tools are available, it doesn't mean people should stop producing them.

True enough

4 hours ago, Zyriun said:

And honestly, this game isn't for children, so it shouldn't be something the dev team stresses over. Give us the tools, and sure we'll see a dick pop up here and there but honestly, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. 

It isn't for kids but still I run into a fair amount of squeakers out there, every single one talks crap and tries to KOS but, still you are correct, it will still happen regardless of age

On Xbox 360, one of my favorite hobbies in Black Ops2 zombies was to get annoying and abusive kids' parents to come and shut-off/destroy their machines.  Kinekt sensors made this process much more direct, as I could be clearly heard talking through the family's television.
I don't know why exactly it is, but people really don't like overhearing some 20-something telling their foul-mouthed little shit children that they could hear a domestic violence case brewing in the background, or that the street drugs currently being delivered in the kitchen surely cannot be as good as the salesman is purporting them to be.
Those Kinekt sensors, lemme tell ya, they had some real range and fidelity in those mics.

I don't think that it should ever be on the table to avoid adding features to an adult-themed game, because of how children could misuse them.  We don't complain that bar stools are too short for for most 8-year-olds, or that billiards games should not be played during nap time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

It isn't for kids but still I run into a fair amount of squeakers out there, every single one talks crap and tries to KOS but, still you are correct, it will still happen regardless of age

See, even if children are on the game, that's at (or should be) their parents discretion. They should know what their child is getting in to, but back to my point. The game isn't being designed to be child friendly, for thats not the target audience, and since the target already is for adults, then why not allow us to add the engravings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zyriun said:

See, even if children are on the game, that's at (or should be) their parents discretion. They should know what their child is getting in to, but back to my point. The game isn't being designed to be child friendly, for thats not the target audience, and since the target already is for adults, then why not allow us to add the engravings?

I just foresee this going bad, one needs only reference TF2, and almost every shotgun named " Kurt Cobain's Microphone ". I would like to see this in game, as per my first post on the thread, I just think due to the ability ( and yes, I know most every idea has this ability ) to go badly, if it happens, awesome, I would like to see some witty engravings, but, I still hold my doubt on the issue, let us pray I'm wrong.

Also, greetings my fellow Floridian =)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

I just foresee this going bad, one needs only reference TF2, and almost every shotgun named " Kurt Cobain's Microphone ". I would like to see this in game, as per my first post on the thread, I just think due to the ability ( and yes, I know most every idea has this ability ) to go badly, if it happens, awesome, I would like to see some witty engravings, but, I still hold my doubt on the issue, let us pray I'm wrong.

Also, greetings my fellow Floridian =)

Fair enough, but I still say give it a chance, if it goes completely wrong they could always take it away again. Oh and I was worried for a second, didn't realize I put the whole Sunshine State thing and was like "How the hell does he know??" 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zyriun said:

Fair enough, but I still say give it a chance, if it goes completely wrong they could always take it away again. Oh and I was worried for a second, didn't realize I put the whole Sunshine State thing and was like "How the hell does he know??" 

All good, Brother. Though my info is slightly incorrect, the facility I work for is in tampa, I live elsewhere but, its close by =)

This sounds like a awesome idea! I don't mind dicks engraved in all, doesn't matter. Like if I name my sawn off double barrel "Dylan Klebold's Custom School Cleaner", It shouldn't matter. It isn't a kids game after all!

Estimated TTP is about 4.5 minutes.

Not allowing custom images in the game is far, far easier than dealing with the possible ramifications of trolls and griefers letting them do it, I imagine.   A shame, but for real.

Edited by Parazight

Do you want dicks?

Because that is how you get dicks on EVERYTHING. Big, long, floppy ones.