Sign in to follow this  
Velios

About persistence and world containers

Hi there,

until a few weeks ago, persistence for world containers (tents, ammo boxes, prot. cases and barrels) were persistent for 42 days. We still did not figure out what it`s like right now. Some say 7 days, some say 8. And only if you interact with the container. Do you have to completely empty it or just interact in any way to reset the timer? I did not find any official quotes here, can u guys help me? It`s quite important for us since we play on a RP whitelisted server where many people build camps.

Have fun in Chernarus!

At the 8th day of my camp I had a couple civ tents and barrels, I interacted with one of each and emptied the others and moved them then repacked. The ones I interacted with vanished and the ones I emptied and moved stayed. I only moved them maybe a an inch from original spot. Hope that helps.

Would be nice. Cus just as here in this thread, everbody on our server had different experiences so far. But there must be one rule to calculate. I wish a developer could tell us how it works at the moment.

At the time of that thread, there was some confusion about the nature of barrel/tent persistence, because many of my camps were grandfathered-in, and still working on the 45 day rule.  As of early March, any persistent container placed would follow the new rules for persistence;  which were, and still are, broken to the point of pointlessness.

Barrels and tents SHOULD be working like this:  Place a tent or barrel, and it will disappear after 8 days of not having the inventory matrix accessed; this should include simply moving any item from one cell to another.

Barrels and tents ARE working like this:  Place a tent or barrel, and it will disappear with everything inside of it after 8 days, unless you completely empty and reset it; this is true now for barrels, tents, protector cases, and ammo cans.

Just my two cents, @Hicks_206 (DayZ), this is a terrible design decision.  It is a slap in the face to all of the players who don't live out of a backpack, and play for the single purpose of killing everybody that they see. Even if working properly, this 8-day persistence is just unacceptable.  It leaves dedicated players no time for busy workweeks, vacations, family emergencies, and any other thing that can cause them to lose all game progression after not getting to each base in a week; and it is not really enough time for players who avidly play the game on more than just a single server The period of time in which an entire base will disappear should be no less than 3 weeks.  Essentially taking away persistence is not the solution to managing memory resources more efficiently.  May as well roll back to .48 and call it a day.  I know you can do better; 45 days was working just fine.  Don't dumb down the game for everyone, just because most prominent streamers never use camps--it would be a tactical error to stream one's camp anyways.  People who want to play arcade mode, persistence off, PVP-centric DayZ, will always have the option to do just that.  For people who want to establish a presence, and try to survive for extended periods of time on a server, you are making the game nearly unplayable.

• Like 5

Eight days is insane, barely enough time to justify having a camp. What about going on holidays? Usually that is a one to two week period with some taking up to a month. Seems like a cheap way to get some memory bavk.

Edited by Konfucious K

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

Just my two cents,

I agree with you. If its a busy week and I only have a couple hours to play I will burn a large amount of time running back to camp for a rearrange and traveling outside my camps region is a gamble because I risk not being able to make it back in time. During PAX Hicks said there must be loot degradation, and I understand, but one week is absolutely ridiculous. If base building is to be incorporated a longer degradation time must be implemented. Investing the amount of time it would take to craft a base only to have it wiped so quickly will result in dropped interest from the survival aspects they claim to want to promote. Maybe server admins should be able to choose persistence times.

The art of survival keeps stepping away from focus and I'm getting the impression that SA is drifting more towards an ARMA/COD type audience.  Minimize survival options, add more military weapons.

Hope I'm wrong.

15 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Just my two cents, this is a terrible design decision.  It is a slap in the face to all of the players who don't live out of a backpack, and play for the single purpose of killing everybody that they see. Even if working properly, this 8-day persistence is just unacceptable.  It leaves dedicated players no time for busy workweeks, vacations, family emergencies, and any other thing that can cause them to lose all game progression after not getting to each base in a week; and it is not really enough time for players who avidly play the game on more than just a single server The period of time in which an entire base will disappear should be no less than 3 weeks.  Essentially taking away persistence is not the solution to managing memory resources more efficiently.  May as well roll back to .48 and call it a day.  I know you can do better; 45 days was working just fine.  Don't dumb down the game for everyone, just because most prominent streamers never use camps--it would be a tactical error to stream one's camp anyways.  People who want to play arcade mode, persistence off, PVP-centric DayZ, will always have the option to do just that.  For people who want to establish a presence, and try to survive for extended periods of time on a server, you are making the game nearly unplayable.

100% agree. I've talked to numerous players who have lost everything because of the new persistence, just doesn't give enough time as it is. Something needs to change.

Edited by Sandman94

16 hours ago, emuthreat said:

At the time of that thread, there was some confusion about the nature of barrel/tent persistence, because many of my camps were grandfathered-in, and still working on the 45 day rule.  As of early March, any persistent container placed would follow the new rules for persistence;  which were, and still are, broken to the point of pointlessness.

Barrels and tents SHOULD be working like this:  Place a tent or barrel, and it will disappear after 8 days of not having the inventory matrix accessed; this should include simply moving any item from one cell to another.

Barrels and tents ARE working like this:  Place a tent or barrel, and it will disappear with everything inside of it after 8 days, unless you completely empty and reset it; this is true now for barrels, tents, protector cases, and ammo cans.

Just my two cents, @Hicks_206 (DayZ), this is a terrible design decision.  It is a slap in the face to all of the players who don't live out of a backpack, and play for the single purpose of killing everybody that they see. Even if working properly, this 8-day persistence is just unacceptable.  It leaves dedicated players no time for busy workweeks, vacations, family emergencies, and any other thing that can cause them to lose all game progression after not getting to each base in a week; and it is not really enough time for players who avidly play the game on more than just a single server The period of time in which an entire base will disappear should be no less than 3 weeks.  Essentially taking away persistence is not the solution to managing memory resources more efficiently.  May as well roll back to .48 and call it a day.  I know you can do better; 45 days was working just fine.  Don't dumb down the game for everyone, just because most prominent streamers never use camps--it would be a tactical error to stream one's camp anyways.  People who want to play arcade mode, persistence off, PVP-centric DayZ, will always have the option to do just that.  For people who want to establish a presence, and try to survive for extended periods of time on a server, you are making the game nearly unplayable.

Also 100% agree, and thanks a lot for your help!

YAY!

What this game was missing was the need for MORE inventory micromanagement. Already completely undermined the element of survival in exchange for an entirely generic PVP experience... Now we get an opportunity to lose everything in an inventory space if we don't move 1 item from here to there once every 8 days. 

Fuck this. 

1 hour ago, eno said:

YAY!

What this game was missing was the need for MORE inventory micromanagement. Already completely undermined the element of survival in exchange for an entirely generic PVP experience... Now we get an opportunity to lose everything in an inventory space if we don't move 1 item from here to there once every 8 days. 

Fuck this. 

If only it were that easy, ENO...  You must still completely empty, and re-set each persistent storage container on an 8 day cycle to prevent de-spawning due to cleanup.  Bases are all-but-obsolete now, and they plan to push .60 with this broken, on top of ill-conceived, 8-day CLEanup mechanic.
I've talked to enough people in-game, and all have reported the same result, even with control group barrels never having been touched since they were set.  You must completely repack any storage or it will disappear 8 days after having been deployed--regardless of how many inventory cells you have manipulated in the past 8 days.
Every day, somebody contacts me about a came or a couple barrels that came-up missing; sometimes after only a couple days.  There is something VERY wrong with persistence ATM.

Sad part is that @Hicks_206 (DayZ) is still out there on social media telling people otherwise.  

Sir, with all due respect, you are mistaken.  And even if you were correct about the inventory cell interaction criteria for resetting the CLEanup timers, it is still 100% unacceptable to have camps disappear in less than 1 month's time elapsed from having established them.

20 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

If only it were that easy, ENO...  You must still completely empty, and re-set each persistent storage container on an 8 day cycle to prevent de-spawning due to cleanup.  Bases are all-but-obsolete now, and they plan to push .60 with this broken, on top of ill-conceived, 8-day CLEanup mechanic.
I've talked to enough people in-game, and all have reported the same result, even with control group barrels never having been touched since they were set.  You must completely repack any storage or it will disappear 8 days after having been deployed--regardless of how many inventory cells you have manipulated in the past 8 days.
Every day, somebody contacts me about a came or a couple barrels that came-up missing; sometimes after only a couple days.  There is something VERY wrong with persistence ATM.

Sad part is that @Hicks_206 (DayZ) is still out there on social media telling people otherwise.  

Sir, with all due respect, you are mistaken.  And even if you were correct about the inventory cell interaction criteria for resetting the CLEanup timers, it is still 100% unacceptable to have camps disappear in less than 1 month's time elapsed from having established them.

I can see why CLE was turned down. Late .59 is a great example of the dangers off too much stuff sitting on persistence. Still, I feel a limited number of tents of each type is a better solution than this current timer, which does seem to be incredibly rough.

Edited by [DGN] Johnny

1 hour ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

I can see why CLE was turned down. Late .59 is a great example of the dangers off too much stuff sitting on persistence. Still, I feel a limited number of tents of each type is a better solution than this current timer, which does seem to be incredibly rough.

I understand that the spawns get a little thinly stretched after a number of camps have been established on a server, but the gear is not gone, one just has to go and find it.  I see this move as a heavy-handed approach to pushing us towards CoDZ , with easy looting.

You know what I did when heli-crashes on my home server stopped spawning top-tier weapons?  I started searching for bases.  And go figure, when I found one, it was full of SVD, AUGs, FALs, and any other high-end loot that one could want.

I see this as a dumbing-down of the game, that caters to quick-service PVP, while making long-term, persistence-based play unrewarding, and not worth the trouble.  Who wants to play in a sandbox that automatically stomps on your sand castle every week?

Edited by emuthreat
sperling

What's the current status on persistence with 61.13?

are we still dealing with 8 days and the full inventory repack?

1 hour ago, ted striker said:

What's the current status on persistence with 61.13?

are we still dealing with 8 days and the full inventory repack?

I've been building a camp on an Experimental server with a few people since Vehicles were added on Dec 23.  The camp is still there, and growing. Persistence seems fine, on Exp, at least.

On 4/26/2016 at 0:31 PM, emuthreat said:

I completely agree, but was not going to speak on the matter until we got past alpha.

anything below 14 days is too low for many players... but i would suggest we allow private hive players to adjust these times.

14-30 days for barrels seems fair enough. 8 days maybe for a backpack stored in a tree?? I usually would up anything to do with arma 3 exile, when it came to virtual garage, base storage, safes, vehicles, etc... because we knew players could not always log into your server, almost all servers would increase the time for when your stuff starts to disappear.

Is there an official list of current persistent times for: Tents, Barrels, Ammo Cans, Protector Cases, Medical Kits, Dry bags, Backpacks and Vehicles and how exactly they work. It would be nice if the persistence worked flat across, but it seems there are massive variations... 

Also, I remember before that Tires would last several days if placed in a camp or out in the woods, is this still the case? 

I would like to trust player experiments, wish I had the time and patients to run a test... And yes, giving a private hive the option to adjust times and all containers and items would be interesting.