Zurvivalist

Enough with the guns already....

Anyone else kinda getting tired of seeing these leaked info / pics / video clips of new guns to come ? 

I agree that EVENTUALLY it would be really nice to have many many firearms to choose from. Nothing wrong with verity . 

That being said... For Now.. i think we have enough to get by. 

What I would much rather start seeing is some actual work and releases of a larger variety of weapon choices .

We have Hunting rifles.. cool 

We have Assault rifles .. great

We got pistols covered.. awesome . 

Now lets start seeing some work go into 

Archery , Recurves, compounds.. 

Maybe a pistol crossbow ? 

Tasers, stun guns, and tranq dart guns ! Yea I seen the pics.. lets get them into testing already... 

Would really like to see some throwable spears, rocks, knives , all the can foods for that matter...

More explosives sometime soon. IED types. 

This is the type of things I want to see before we get anymore stupid firearms.. We dont need Rocket launchers right not , or LMGs . Save that crap for later.. 

Same goes for vehicles. 

I keep hearing people saying More types, 

We got 4 solid placeholder vehicles already , we don't need anymore 

Just get the motorcycle , and bike in and working as place holders for later additions, then get to work on boats and horses. 

Helicopters , airplanes .. imo can wait until later on . After the map upgrades and performance enhancements are finished maybe

Well. thats my little rant for the day , thanks for reading 

• Like 5

Are horses a confirmed thing? I noticed you mentioned them in another post. I love the idea,

That being said, personally I'd like to see more civilian guns enter the playground. Guns do require a lot of tweaking for realistic animations, accuracy, so on. Granted right now it can feel more like a complicated FPS with odd side activities and less like survival simulation game but that will hopefully pass by beta and hopefully be long in the rear view mirror by release.

We have an improvised bow and a cross bow. Another couple wouldn't hurt for sure but there are only so many variations of that that can be made without going into different draw string lbs and such which wouldn't hurt my feelings but I think the devs could add other aspects/elements that would have greater effect on the game and we have working a working concept place holder, still some tweaking for sure but working.

Tasers and stun guns already have working place holders as well, the cattle prod and stun baton. 

Canned foods are in and that really is just a matter of adding models and values for the different foods, more for beta task then for alpha especially since the food spawns will eventually decrease from what I understand it will just be about the variety later on functions are added smoothing and balancing of it will come later. I don't see how adding more options for can food would have a major impact on game play unless they begin implementing more cooking recipes (which I would love personally) but they still have a lot of work on basic cooking so that could just be a pipe dream.

Vehicles are hard for me, don't get me wrong I enjoy my offroad (miss my pickup hint hint devs) its convienient but ultimately I hope that part of the car process gets a lot harder. Not the desync glitches and such but more parts like needing 4 spark plugs for a 4 cylinder engine 8 glow plugs so on and so forth. I'd like a system of having those parts degrade faster and more of a need for gas, even have gas pumps go dry for a while if you've filled up at them too often so that cars can't just be driven endlessly around the map. In the end I hope there are only one or 2 of each vehicle because with the current vehicle spawns (which I realize is probably so lots of them can be tested) I find cars all the time, without a lot more difficulty in maintaining them we aught to be able to fix the zombie problem by the end of the month and rebuild civilization in no time. Also if the timeline is supposed to be a few years (I've heard quoted several times over the years could be wrong), things like gas should require some kind of treatment, it wouldn't be able to be pumped right out and used.

Boats, I like the idea but what for? their are two islands and both can easily be reached by swimming. The only major benefits I see to adding boats is if they could implement something like a house boat, or barge that could be a moving off short base. Then small boats for raiding said bases, but from my dealings with Arma engines they struggle with large moving vehicles.  They could also/or add more islands off the coast which could be nice as Chernarus is starting to feel a bit small especially with the addition of vehicles. I believe I read somewhere that they would not be adding to overall size to the map, so it would be difficult to add rivers to be used by small boats as a means of transportation and it would only make sense in a few places given the location chosen.

Horses I love the concept but I think they need a deep system. Taming them, and maintaining for them as far as keeping them hydrated, fed, healthy. having a way to house them, adding horse shoes and such that wear out over time especially if ridden on paved roads and such. I think it could add a lot to the the game. If they are adding them how to handle a horse whose owner has died, ie does it become wild again, easier to claim, return to the last place it was housed ie stable/barn. If they're working on a system that deep might as well think of other animals that could possibly be used in a similar way. could just be still in the brainstorming phase on that.

Planes and choppers, in my humble (probably not well liked opinion) have little to no business in DayZ. Once again just my thoughts but from what I know about planes an choppers (which isn't extensive by any means) would be very difficult to keep functional for very long. Each take off whether flying short or long distances would take up a lot of very precious gas, and parts would be incredibly rare and (if the timeline is to be believed at 5 to 10 years) not in good condition for the precise needs of flight so unreliable. I can appreciate the crashes, maybe someplace in the world we have functioning military forces with the appropriate training to maintain a chopper, but obviously they're having problems too cause theirs 3 falling from the sky pretty regularly not good odds at success. The only way I would try a flight with these options in the real world was if it was to get my butt to a much safer place a thousand+ of miles away. not to hopscotch around the same little barren zombie obstacle course. Just my thoughts grain of salt and what not.

I'm coming back after having taken a about a 6 month hiatus from the game, if they still intend to have mods and the ability to make new maps and such, other locations may work better for some of these additions, but the core game with the "default" map these things aren't as pressing. I completely agree I'd like to see some of the systems that have been tested before put back into full effect, and make survival a little more difficult like weather/temperatures and such. I'd like to see zombies more difficult still, pursue you further or faster something to make them less of a nuisance and more of a threat, maybe predators will have some of this effect.

I guess other then sharing some of my thoughts and possible ideas for the game is I sure hope the developers have a map of where to go and its not just random items being added based on forum and twitter posts, I could be wrong  but I would assume they've got several of these things started or are still working out some of the concept ideas on how to make them work well not just work.

• Like 1

Are horses a confirmed thing? I noticed you mentioned them in another post. I love the idea...

- Snip -

No, they have never confirmed such things. This is why rumors are annoying. xD

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 2

Anyone else kinda getting tired of seeing these leaked info / pics / video clips of new guns to come ? 

I agree that EVENTUALLY it would be really nice to have many many firearms to choose from. Nothing wrong with verity . 

That being said... For Now.. i think we have enough to get by. 

What I would much rather start seeing is some actual work and releases of a larger variety of weapon choices .

We have Hunting rifles.. cool 

We have Assault rifles .. great

We got pistols covered.. awesome . 

Now lets start seeing some work go into 

Archery , Recurves, compounds.. 

Maybe a pistol crossbow ? 

Tasers, stun guns, and tranq dart guns ! Yea I seen the pics.. lets get them into testing already... 

Would really like to see some throwable spears, rocks, knives , all the can foods for that matter...

More explosives sometime soon. IED types. 

This is the type of things I want to see before we get anymore stupid firearms.. We dont need Rocket launchers right not , or LMGs . Save that crap for later.. 

Same goes for vehicles. 

I keep hearing people saying More types, 

We got 4 solid placeholder vehicles already , we don't need anymore 

Just get the motorcycle , and bike in and working as place holders for later additions, then get to work on boats and horses. 

Helicopters , airplanes .. imo can wait until later on . After the map upgrades and performance enhancements are finished maybe

Well. thats my little rant for the day , thanks for reading 

Why you no make a suggestion post in suggestions forum instead of dis "I want, I want" rant! ugh....

Seriously though, the devs are working on getting most of this stuff in. Takes time man.

Actually those items are to combat the heli i assume and vehicles and hell getting into bases/camps when thats added. And if they add that fucking heli from the mod the UH1Y i think it was you'll be glad you have a 240 and a law rocket, I know i will.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's why I asked, I hadn't seen it confirmed, and I think the only reference to them as a possibility worth considering was very early on in the process. While I don't mind a pipe dream of how cool horses could be if they could be added I don't want to mistakenly speak about them being added as if its a planned thing if its never been acknowledged by a dev as a sure thing. 

I know I already said but 6 month hiatus has left me a little out of the loop, and I hadn't see the confirmation in anything I'd read from the devs but I can't keep track of every social media account they've got, wish I could but then I wouldn't have time to play DayZ.

Have some Beans Sir!

Are horses a confirmed thing? I believe so , I think Hicks mentioned them in the Pax Aus interview

We have an improvised bow and a crossbow. Another couple wouldn't hurt for sure We have a stick with a rope on it , Yes its a place holder. But looks like shit , and has crap range. While we have 15 guns that do the same damn thing... The bow still doesn't function very well compared to other weapons, Doesn't even holster onto your back properly yet . We have no "mags" or quivers , 

Tasers and stun guns already have working place holders as well, the cattle prod and stun baton. The models are finished, we have seen vids, just waiting for them to be put in , I thought they were coming in with 59 .. 

Canned foods are in and that really is I meant as throwable objects. You can throw them now, but if you hit someone , they do no damage . 

Vehicles are hard for me,  ultimately I hope that part of the car process gets a lot harder. Fully agree. As of now ( for testing obviously ) they are far too simple to build . and too many in number. 

Boats, I like the idea but what for? For new player made maps, I want canoes and motorboats . We had motorboats in the mod , for fast coastal runs . 

Planes and choppers, in my humble have little to no business in DayZ. Fully agree. Good for a military Sim like Arma , but stupid in dayZ 

Edited by J0nathan

Thanks, that's why I asked, I hadn't seen it confirmed, and I think the only reference to them as a possibility worth considering was very early on in the process. While I don't mind a pipe dream of how cool horses could be if they could be added I don't want to mistakenly speak about them being added as if its a planned thing if its never been acknowledged by a dev as a sure thing. 

I know I already said but 6 month hiatus has left me a little out of the loop, and I hadn't see the confirmation in anything I'd read from the devs but I can't keep track of every social media account they've got, wish I could but then I wouldn't have time to play DayZ.

Have some Beans Sir!

It's understandable. I like to take breaks from DayZ too. Anyhoot, I wasn't trying to be mean to ya, just that lots of people (not you) like to spread rumors, and make them out as facts. :) I would suggest reading the status reports as they have all the information you are looking for.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Thank you !  I could not agree more. Every week i get a new rocket launcher photo. IT'S ENOUGH.... Add a zippo lighter or something , Not RPG's . It's bad enough there adding a heli and bike. I think next well have a few battle ships and submarines added :)

• Like 3

i wish they would take out the caned goods make players live off the land .

Don't worry, the final product will severely reduce the over amount of loot (including canned goods). When that happens, I hope that there will be more deer, pigs, goats and boars. I'm trying to do just that with my character but it is very difficult to find these deer when you actually want to try and find them.

Are horses a confirmed thing? I believe so , I think Hicks mentioned them in the Pax Aus interview

We have an improvised bow and a crossbow. Another couple wouldn't hurt for sure We have a stick with a rope on it , Yes its a place holder. But looks like shit , and has crap range. While we have 15 guns that do the same damn thing... The bow still doesn't function very well compared to other weapons, Doesn't even holster onto your back properly yet . We have no "mags" or quivers , 

Tasers and stun guns already have working place holders as well, the cattle prod and stun baton. The models are finished, we have seen vids, just waiting for them to be put in , I thought they were coming in with 59 .. 

Canned foods are in and that really is I meant as throwable objects. You can throw them now, but if you hit someone , they do no damage . 

Vehicles are hard for me,  ultimately I hope that part of the car process gets a lot harder. Fully agree. As of now ( for testing obviously ) they are far too simple to build . and too many in number. 

Boats, I like the idea but what for? For new player made maps, I want canoes and motorboats . We had motorboats in the mod , for fast coastal runs . 

Planes and choppers, in my humble have little to no business in DayZ. Fully agree. Good for a military Sim like Arma , but stupid in dayZ 

I see some of your points, I'm not sure that all comes from the same crew. my meaning before my 6 month break they were showing bear models, and there still isn't a bear coming in, so hypothetically your new bows may have models and whats delaying them is the animation team is still fixing the shouldered animation for the improvised bow and hasn't moved on to say a compound bow. (completely hypothetically) and the guns being leaked may have models and be even further behind a new bow that hasn't be released yet. While some items may have worked fine for a quick video demonstration the stun gun/taser may have more animations that need fixing before they're ready to be put in. If so I'd rather they hold it for a while, rather then having a stun gun that also looks like its impaling me through the armpit like my current bow does if its notched. Modeling crew may have dozens of models ready but need all the other aspects added to it, like the radiation showers and suits that have been "leaked" but as far as I know have no foreseeable in game date. 

Bows-I concede at them moment is a stick with a rope in it, but thats a model that can be improved, or they can make/may have a whole new one for a lootable hunting bow. They're not intended to shoot long range, especially accurately at longer range. I bow hunted for years growing up because I felt it gave the animal a sporting chance unlike a rifle. they'll take some refinement which I'm sure they're still working on but tweaking a gun reloading animation takes much less work to correct then the animation for 1 bow.  I've been playing with the improvised bow and crossbow for weeks now and have had great success with them. Other then the obvious points you made that the shouldered bow is a little (ok maybe a lot) messed up and a quiver would be nice. (Although on a side note I'd prefer a quiver be an item of clothing like the pistol holster that can hold x number of arrows and using the current reload from a hot key system you can draw from the quiver, just my thoughts on that.) I find them incredibly useful for hunting and have managed a couple of kills when I was getting tracked down by another player. They should get a couple animators to fix the bow thing I agree but that doesn't mean we need to stop "gun production" at the moment. Part of my hope is more guns, more kinds of ammo, with time eventually making it rather hard to get a working combination when we're closer to release and feature perfect.

Boats- I remember them from the mod, and I remember avoiding them like the plague because getting in one constantly gave you the plague lol.  I agree especially if player made maps are  on the agenda they'd be a nice asset to have available but the same could be said for guns, different maps different places different weapons to fit the would be more relevant then the AKs, Mosins, and such that we find in Chernarus. They're probably already in the works just like the rest of the guns that are getting "leaked". I'm sure when they started working on vehicles they included anything that was in the mod as each vehicle released and shown has been similar to ones from the mod. I hadn't considered canoes not sure how you would implement the paddling, could easily add a row boat using a similar system, but that could be a lot of fun, especially on player made maps where a quiet movement water vehicle would be desirable. 

Canned goods- Sorry I must have misread that entirely, that could be a pretty cool feature, especially as you said if they could get maybe throwing a hatchet or a knife to work decently. Throwing is still pretty buggy in general so that may be a ways off though.

Just thoughts on it, not disagreeing that other things would be nice to have soon, just may not be related just seem to correlate.

Edited by TheDragon117

We need new weapon and vehicle every month. Or even more often. They made foundations for everything and it should be just different skin and textures.

I wouldn't mind if get Lada Riva or Samara with identical handling like Volga. Or UAZ that handles like Niva. Or new pistol, or new assault rifle. I love having lots variety of items in game. Best thing would be if we have all players with different clothing and gear on server. Would be cool if there is one or two of one unique item on server.

Don't worry, the final product will severely reduce the over amount of loot (including canned goods). When that happens, I hope that there will be more deer, pigs, goats and boars. I'm trying to do just that with my character but it is very difficult to find these deer when you actually want to try and find them.

I have a map if you want it. Its still a WIP . But reliable 

I have a map if you want it. Its still a WIP . But reliable 

Hell yeah man, thanks. 

That is absolutely, undeniably wrong. I specifically remember this because of the little bit of background Hicks gave when he confirmed it. He said the CEO of Bohemia Interactive has told them they have to do it. Apparently the guy loves horses.

Also, it's on the roadmap.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

That is absolutely, undeniably wrong. I specifically remember this because of the little bit of background Hicks gave when he confirmed it. He said the CEO of Bohemia Interactive has told them they have to do it. Apparently the guy loves horses.

Really? I'll have to look closer at that. I think it would be great but would like to see it's source.

Really? I'll have to look closer at that. I think it would be great but would like to see it's source.

On the roadmap it says "animal companions". The only ones I've ever heard any talk about are dogs and horses. 

I'm still trying to find the video where Hicks talked about that, but several of the ones from the appropriate time are now dead links in the DevTracker. Maybe something we ask about during the next Q&A he does. Or we can ask SMoss. He might be able to give us a basic confirmation. Either way, it definitely was not idle speculation or rumor. It's been talked about by the devs.

Horses were confirmed early on by Rocket in the road map: http://www.pcgamesn.com/dean-hall-shows-dayz-roadmap-horses-barricades-and-clever-zombies

Maybe the plan has changed, but as far as I know, companion animals is still on the list: http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-2015-roadmap/

It's hardly "just a rumor."

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Have you even looked at the latest roadmap? It's not on there. Plus, I am guessing your reference is off this http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-standalone-confirmed-features/ which was posted a while ago back when Rocket was still there. It was the FANS that wanted, and spoke about horses not the developers except maybe Eugen or Hicks. Only thing they have mentioned was including companion animals in which they never specified horses. 

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

On the roadmap it says "animal companions". The only ones I've ever heard any talk about are dogs and horses. 

I'm still trying to find the video where Hicks talked about that, but several of the ones from the appropriate time are now dead links in the DevTracker. Maybe something we ask about during the next Q&A he does. Or we can ask SMoss. He might be able to give us a basic confirmation. Either way, it definitely was not idle speculation or rumor. It's been talked about by the devs.

Horses were confirmed early on by Rocket in the road map: http://www.pcgamesn.com/dean-hall-shows-dayz-roadmap-horses-barricades-and-clever-zombies

Maybe the plan has changed, but as far as I know, companion animals is still on the list: http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-2015-roadmap/

It's hardly "just a rumor."

Thanks,  the Hall one was the one I vaguely remembered  from back in the day. Referring to the possibility.   I just got  home from work to look into it further since there was a difference of opinion on it but you guys saved me some research.  Really appreciate it and look forward to that now too! 

Plus, I am guessing your reference is off this http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-standalone-confirmed-features/ which was posted a while ago back when Rocket was still there. 

Nope. As you can tell based on my post, what I was referencing was an interview with Hicks wherein he directly mentioned horses. It was fairly recent (within the last 6 months). I'm having trouble finding it, but I'm just gonna PM SMoss to put the issue to rest.

Nope. As you can tell based on my post, what I was referencing was an interview with Hicks wherein he directly mentioned horses. It was fairly recent (within the last 6 months). I'm having trouble finding it, but I'm just gonna PM SMoss to put the issue to rest.

So, are you talking about the PAX Prime or Gamescom interviews then?

So, are you talking about the PAX Prime or Gamescom interviews then?

I watched the PAX Prime and the PAX AUS ones again today to see if it was one of those. I also checked the TwitchCon one. There are a few that say "Gameplay with (Random Person)" where the links are dead now. Not sure if it was one of those.

EDIT: https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215848-dayz-moving-into-2015-roadmap/

So the first roadmap lists dogs and horses under Q4. The revised roadmap is missing Q4 completely, BUT the things from Q4 of the first roadmap are not things being dismissed. For example, Steam Workshop integration is obviously not being scrapped, so I don't think the animal companions being missing from the revised roadmap necessarily means they are being scrapped either.

Edited by ColdAtrophy