Sign in to follow this  
Espa

Adjustments to the Settings

Hey guys! So I decided to experiment with the settings a bit in game to see where my FPS would go and wow did I have results. Essentially the final product was reducing the Resolution to the lowest possible size and reducing the text size to normal. After that, I placed the majority of the panels on Normal.

I had been playing on low/very low with very minor assets but with a large resolution with 15-24 FPS.

By simply reducing the resolution to its lowest point, it skyrocketed to 30-50 FPS and I was able to put all my assets to Normal as well as the Rendering to 100%. I had no idea that such a gigantic boost was possible with just one tweak.

Also, ran the game with 50% Gamma and Brightness - It is infinitely more immersive and the light effects shine through so freaking well from bright to shady. I thought I was playing another game altogether.

• Like 1

Yes, resolution does boost FPS a lot. But I don't want my game to look like a stretched potato on my screen.

• Like 5

Surprisingly when I lowered it, it changed no features at all. . I was like O.O Wait, what?

Seriously. All it did was boost my FPS without shrinking my screen size.

Surprisingly when I lowered it, it changed no features at all. . I was like O.O Wait, what?

Did you have the rendering above 100%

• Like 1

resolution doesn't change your screen size.  it just renders it in bigger or smaller blocks

• Like 1

Ive tried running at low resolutions too earlier but since everythig becomes super-ugly I decided against it. Frames DO become better though and the game runs more fluid. You still get slow-downs when you move into a loot-bubble and when other players are near.

• Like 1

Shadows and object detail are the one's i mess with.  They can make seeing people/things at a distance an issue, and you do get a degree of 'popping' but i feel that resolution aside (i generally try to force native res so it looks at minimum, not like poop) these two are some of the more easily sacrificed for performance.

Was running at ~High before 0.59 and i didn't have terrible performance (although i learned to live with it, like with my 10fps Ravenshield sting back on a Pentium2 or w/e where anticipation was key) and got forced to V-High after 0.59 for some reason.  Now most is sitting at default Norm.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Very curious responses! Truly the only thing that appeared to change was the Text Size and the Box that encompasses it. I'm not really sure why but the graphical difference is actually heightened by the Object/Terrain/Shadow boost - Even with the Resolution lowered to the lowest size 640xsomething

But my rendering can go higher than 100% with this change and still press me with about 30-50 FPS and my computer is nothing to write home about.

A good benefit for those of us who have lowered scaled comps.

are you seriously running DayZ on 640x480?

Dear god...

That's like Pentium 166 days(DayZ?).

Try running your potatoes in sequence, you may squeeze some more juice out of them that way. (but seriously, that's a horrid resolution, despite you saying it makes it look better, which is perhaps more worrying)..

Haha that may be right on other computers, but my game really hasn't taken a beating - And honestly, having decent framerate is amazing. I've never had 30-50 FPS before in this game and it's game-changing.

My graphics aren't being punished that much, really. I can tell some slight distortions, but it's really nothing that makes the game that ugly. If anything, with the details lifted and boosted, it balances out.