S3V3N

Dayz book club :)

Hey, I know this is an odd suggestion, but I've come over some really interesting books and actually read some books partly in-game (while waiting for friends or before logging off). Yet, I keep coming across new ones all the time, so I'd like you to post pictures (if possible) or names of books you would recommend reading or found interesting as a child, or adult likewise; books from the game that is. This threat here is as much a reminder for myself about those books I'd wanna read, as hopefully a source of suggestions from and for other people on the forums.

One I read in real life is:

- The Variable Man - by P.K. Dick

-> interesting story, not a novel, but a (lengthy) short story about a man that's scooped into the future by a future archeological device. There he's hunted, because Earth is at War with an alien race and the "variable man" is messing up the machine-made predictions of the outcome of the war. He gets involved in the war effort, but ultimately achieves something much bigger, in the end. 

**** out of ***** (stars)

- Märchen - By H.C. Andersen

2016-01-18_00004_zpsry4qbwfo.jpg

2016-01-18_00005_zpssvft6ykk.jpg

-> some of the saddest fairy tales I've read as a child are in this collection. More sadly for you: ingame we have a German edition, so most of you won't be able to read them. I just browsed through some of those I remembered, sighing about how old and unimaginative I've become ;)

*** out of *****

Some Books I found and still want to read:

- Nostromo - by Joseph Conrad

- Youth - by Isaac Asimov

The "youth" edition has an interesting cover, or rather: interesting back:

2016-01-17_00001_zpseygletdd.jpg

2016-01-17_00002_zpsby3ubu5z.jpg

I'll try to post pictures of the other books as I come across them. Unfortunately the others became firestarters and I just cleaned up my old screenshots...

*If you don't know how to read a book ingame - put it on a hotkey and press that key to open it.*

Most of those books have run out of copyright (is that a thing?), so you can find them online in collections like "Project Gutenberg":

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Have a pleasant reading sesh - it's so relaxing after a good day of firing guns, eating beans and explosions! Don't forget to follow the topic, because this is gonna get buried so deep ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

picked up a book a few days ago with the intent of opening it to see if I could read it...didn't know how. i will be setting a hotkey next time i play. thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Cool thread. Ill try to add some shots once im confident in what key combination gives me F12 since it also toggles my wifi on and off. Thanks toshiba!

• Like 1

I'm barely allowed to play video games as it is, let alone read a fucking e-book within aforementioned video game.

• Like 2

I'm barely allowed to play video games as it is, let alone read a fucking e-book within aforementioned video game.

You have the beard of a 9-year old, but your pimp hat and $ shades give away that you were separated from your parents and had to eat wolf-meat. See how sensitive I get from just posting this thread? I can almost not feel my balls anymore - no wait, they dropped to the floor. I forgot: I have balls of steel. 

As for the next book on my list. Found this today:

2016-01-18_00006_zpsyw7yxyi8.jpg

- The Last Man - by Mary Shelley

It's almost like someone knew what they were doing when they selected the books for the game.

I'm gonna start a library at my public camp, as usually it's in Olsha ^^ I forgot what the server name is, but if you search "Norway" and 1p you'll find it (it's "#1" of the norway servers). I also run a bus there and will probably start asking people to bring me books to pay their fare. I'll probably get shot, too ;)

Edited by S3V3N

found romeo and JULIA (wtf) today.  and the last of the plainsmen by zane grey

• Like 1

The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane. I held onto that for a couple weeks at one point. The story actually mirrors the psychological journey that I went through as I learned to play this game.

EDIT: I didn't actually read it in game to be clear. I read it when I was like 8 or 9. Just held onto it as a token or something like that. Idk.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

i always grab a bible if i ever see one. i swear they protect me. 

i had a Pride and Prejudiced just for lols. and it made my wife laugh.

i love to pick up Art of War, i laugh when i find Romeo and Julia. 

if i need a fire and i see a book, i use it. 

i read as much as i can when im not gaming so id rather read irl than in game. its a cool side thing to do in game though. 

• Like 1

I bet it would be fun to roleplay a crazed guy throwing books at people screaming "Get them my children, eat them all up! bwahahahaha!"

edit: alternatively just throwing bibles, screaming "The Power of christ compells you!", and when they are laughing their asses off, throw a sneaky grenade in between the books

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 2

i always grab a bible if i ever see one. i swear they protect me. 

i had a Pride and Prejudiced just for lols. and it made my wife laugh.

i love to pick up Art of War, i laugh when i find Romeo and Julia. 

if i need a fire and i see a book, i use it. 

i read as much as i can when im not gaming so id rather read irl than in game. its a cool side thing to do in game though. 

I bet it would be fun to roleplay a crazed guy throwing books at people screaming "Get them my children, eat them all up! bwahahahaha!"

I used to have three bibles on me once, because I kept finding them (in the small chapel) and had one at 50% from the day before. I tried going around as a Jehova's Witness and force people to accept my bible, but unfortunately I found no one that day to throw them at. I want to play as priest - it was one of my favorite outfits in the mod; plus you can pretend you're Batman. I never found Sun Tzu. I now wonder, if "The Prince" by Machiavelli is in the game. I think there is at least one more book by Jane Austen in the game. I found "Great Expectations" at one point, I think. 

The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane. I held onto that for a couple weeks at one point. The story actually mirrors the psychological journey that I went through as I learned to play this game.

EDIT: I didn't actually read it in game to be clear. I read it when I was like 8 or 9. Just held onto it as a token or something like that. Idk.

found romeo and JULIA (wtf) today.  and the last of the plainsmen by zane grey

I found the last plainsmen too and thought it looked cool. I don't think I've read a Western in my life, unless you count Karl May's books, which are complete hogwash. I forgot about that book (see? this thread already helped one person! ;))  I think there is at least one more Western in the game and somehow I associate these books the most with Rocket; maybe they were part of his selection? The Red Bage of Courage sounds interesting, it's fun when something is meta like this in a game. 

A book I remember finding only once, which I held on to for a long time was a Russian Learning book (at least I think it was Russian). To make things perfect, I found it at a school, too. Reading in game is just for lulz. I'll never go through a full book there, either. But there are some really good books in the game and some I've never heard about or forgot about. I began looking at almost all the books I find, even though originally I just needed paper to write silly notes at my camps.

I wish there was an animation for reading. I haven't yet been shot, while standing in a house and filing through a book. That would be hilarious, if someone came in and I'm standing there in full gear and flipping pages without a care in the world. It would also be a pretty good "away from keyboard" animation, if you needed to take - let's say - a shit ;) and don't want to run out of town and into a tree first.  

Edited by S3V3N

An animation would be amazing, I really wish there was one.  Also for opening a map.

Not to stray too far off, but a suggestion I've made multiple times now too is that written notes should appear to have writing on them so you can distinguish them from blank pieces of paper.  I think we'd see more people leaving notes if that were the case.  Their persistence should be fairly high too, like a day at least (could be only if they're written on).

These sort of things would be nice to be expanded on and add a bit more depth to the game.  My friends and I often fool around with the emotes and stuff, I find the little things really help with immersion.  And these don't seem like exceedingly difficult things to add.

• Like 2

An animation would be amazing, I really wish there was one.  Also for opening a map.

Not to stray too far off, but a suggestion I've made multiple times now too is that written notes should appear to have writing on them so you can distinguish them from blank pieces of paper.  I think we'd see more people leaving notes if that were the case.  Their persistence should be fairly high too, like a day at least (could be only if they're written on).

These sort of things would be nice to be expanded on and add a bit more depth to the game.  My friends and I often fool around with the emotes and stuff, I find the little things really help with immersion.  And these don't seem like exceedingly difficult things to add.

Yeah, good suggestions. The notes are only good when you put them in a tent/barrel/vehicle. It's a start. But I liked one bug in particular, when you could throw paper and it would stick to things like trees, walls/ceiling and the road; they were hovering a bit though. I thought that was intentional and used it for target practice with the crossbow to figure out the scope. I agree, you could do fun things with these papers, if they stayed in the world a bit longer. It also reminds me a little bit of the notes you could write in Demon Souls to warn other players:

2015-08-22_00004_zpsee8fucpy.jpg

2015-08-22_00005_zpsupcl80hh.jpg

2015-08-22_00008_zpshz6mfuv4.jpg

Another book I've never seen. No idea what it is. Sounds old.

- The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justfied Sinner - James Hogg

2016-01-18_00025_zpsascmi5q7.jpg2016-01-18_00026_zps2xnkt1wz.jpg

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I take great pride in destroying every copy that I find of Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Absolute fucking drivel it is.

I take great pride in destroying every copy that I find of Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Absolute fucking drivel it is.

Heheh - fun post! Did you have to read it at school, or why the hate? I have no idea what it's about, but it sounds like some romantic bullshit novel. 

I've found some more books, one of them rather interesting:

- Hindu Literature - by Hindus, I guess ;)

Can't post a picture as photobucket is being crap once again. I've read a collection of stories translated from Hindu with the easy name of "Vetalapantschavinsati" (try saying that quickly three times - or once...) and it was quite entertaining. More of a moral compass, like "The Prince" by Machiavelli, but at the same time more or less a fairy-tale collection like "1001 Nights". I expect the Hindu Literature book to be somewhat similar and will try and take a loot at it, if I haven't already used it for fire. The trouble I have most of the time that in the process of looting the book has to go at some point, because I need the space. 

Edited by S3V3N