Sign in to follow this  
thefriendlydutchman

Small newui change

It be nice if you could change the icons of the ui to the right side of the screen just like in the mod instead of in the corner

like this: look at the right side of the screen

torapp.png

instead of down in the right corner like here:

2nu0v2w.png

Edited by jorn818

I think that best possible solution would give us to ability to customize the position of hud on screen.

Why not even looks of it, like from mod to SA1.0 and everything between.

• Like 2

The problem with the idea of icons is that it's an attempt to put into our knowledge statuses that are self evident to us in reality. I never had a problem with status messages that simply said I need to grab a Snickers. 

I would like the idea that icons don't appear until they actually show you're in need of something. There's no reason to see a status message about feeling normal, but all of a sudden if a translucent icon for water slowly became bolder and bolder the more hungry I got...that's be nice. 

• Like 4

I am against these stupid messages. Small, plain and simple numericals with definable position and transparency would be the best

Like (100 = best value for your body, 0 = worst):

1st: health

2nd: saturation food

3rd: saturation water

4th: stamina

This would be very UNobstrusive and informative as well and it represents reality best (translation into a video game how your body tells you what it needs). This also takes less space on the screen (to have a realistic field of view) than much less informative icons that aren't really helpful at this size ("Um, how much % of this test-tube are filled there?")

Edit: These body informations also only might show up when the inventory is opened, to have nothing at all on the actual game screen (more or less like now, but with informative numbers instead these vague wordy descriptions).

Edited by RogueTrooper

My problem with the new UI is that these icons are present in the first place. DayZ is one of the most immersive games our there right now, and adding static UI elements like that is a sure way to throw that down the drain. In my opinion the only change we need to the UI is a button to instantly clear the message log in the bottom left.

• Like 1

I am against these stupid messages. Small, plain and simple numericals with definable position and transparency would be the best

Like (100 = best value for your body, 0 = worst):

1st: health

2nd: saturation food

3rd: saturation water

4th: stamina

This would be very UNobstrusive and informative as well and it represents reality best (translation into a video game how your body tells you what it needs). This also takes less space on the screen (to have a realistic field of view) than much less informative icons that aren't really helpful at this size ("Um, how much % of this test-tube are filled there?")

Edit: These body informations also only might show up when the inventory is opened, to have nothing at all on the actual game screen (more or less like now, but with informative numbers instead these vague wordy descriptions).

Usually I cannot tell if I am "50" or "62" hungry, just if I am slightly hungry, hungry, or really hungry,

maybe I should meditate more to get a better self perception ?-)

also I do not have to open my backpack or pants to check if I need to drink, eat...

• Like 1

last i heard was the icons were gonna be able to be turned off if you didnt want them

• Like 1

Usually I cannot tell if I am "50" or "62" hungry, just if I am slightly hungry, hungry, or really hungry,

also I do not have to open my backpack or pants to check if I need to drink, eat...

I would like the idea that icons don't appear until they actually show you're in need of something. There's no reason to see a status message about feeling normal, but all of a sudden if a translucent icon for water slowly became bolder and bolder the more hungry I got...that's be nice. 

A combination of this for me please. Nothing on the screen that takes my attention as long as it's not critical. In my opinion this makes the most sense for the vision of DayZ.

• The deliberate "hidden" numericals behind the system (ANY video-game-system) is what makes playing with it interesting. I am "well energized", "well hydrated" - but have I actually reached the (very high) energy or (very narrow) water limit? I will never actually know. That's why I have to learn how to intake food and fluids effectively, not look at some stupid numbers. Imo this is as unfitting for DayZ as a killcam. 
  • Hiding the icons by default would raise immersion, but the mandatory press of a button to "see how i am doing" is acutally not that stupid either. If I am engaged in any activity, I sometimes actually need a friend to ask me "Hey, do you maybe need a Snickers?". That said I'd get rid of hydrated/energized indicators altogether. Just learn how to eat and drink, people!
  • Status effects like broken bones, poisoning etc. should stay in the game as text-only messages with the usual vague tone. "My arm hurts like hell". "My mouth tastes funny". It's always been the spirit of the game to never know 100% what's going on. It's part of the *FUN*. that also goes for
  • Stamina, Health, Body Temperature, Blood should - as long as it's implemented reliably (D'oh) - still be available through context only: Shaking, Trembling, Loss of color, loss of focus, heavy breathing etc. I have always liked that system very much. It's another way of saying "learn how to use/read it or die"
  • How good can people see and hear me? Really? I can only assume that was meant as a joke, otherwise we should all spawn with nightvision goggles and extra-stealthy-kevlar-pants from the get-go.
  • There are two major exceptions to the above and imo the following should always be indicated in real time:
    • Player stance: Because in 1stPP i actually can't tell whether I'm leaning or crouching, which I friggin' can ALL THE TIME irl, no need to press a button.
    • Dropping stuff on the ground "by accident": Because seriously, DayZ. Hard and punishing is good, but this is NOT FUN.
  • Like 1

They shouldn't be there at all as was the original goal.

I always hoped that dayz standalone would be like the mod, only better

I really liked the bicycles, the drop of blood as indicator, which was not very intrusive

and did i mention the bicycles?

That concept looks pretty good to me. It's certainly a lot better than the status messages - Christ they're awful. Icons are far less intrusive, and arguably more immersive as they represent abstract thought. If I'm hungry I don't think to myself "golly, I sure could go for a bite to eat. Oh, there's a bit of chicken in the fridge. Think we've got lettuce and mayonnaise as well, I could probably make a sandwich out of that, right? Oh, shit, do we have bread? I guess I could do a salad. Now I could put the bread on now and then I can have a sandwich in a couple of hours, or I could go out and get some shop bread. Ah, but it'd have to be really nice bread, though. What's that brand? W something. Ah, I'll recognise it on the shelf. Sure won't be getting basic or value or whatever it's called. Wait, what's Morrison's equivalent of value and basic? Doesn't matter, I'm going to Sainsbury's. I guess I could pick up some M&Ms as well, and some crisps. That'd be good." That'd be a hell of a status message. No, I just know I'm hungry, I don't have to articulate it to myself. 

Not sure I'm mega keen on the presence indicator, though. Surely you should be able to hear how loud you are and see how visible you are? Presumably it only affects zombies, but ideally that's information that you should get from actually playing the game. I certainly wouldn't want an Elder Scrolls/Fallout system where you know when you're detected. Magically. Somehow. Even a broken leg could be conveyed through a limping animation, though I'm not against an icon for that.

What could be cool is if you have to check limbs for damage. I remember years ago when I broke my arm, I didn't know it was broken, it just hurt like hell. My dad looked at it and was immediately like "yup, it's broken." As such, it could be cool if you have to examine a hurting limb to determine if it's broken or just bruised or whatever. Now that wouldn't mean physically looking at it, you'd just perform an action after which your character makes a diagnosis. Something similar could happen with diseases, where you'll feel generic 'sick' without knowing what you have. Some sort of diagnosis (perhaps with some sort of medical kit, or medical book, even) could be performed, whereupon you can treat your illness with the relevant medication. Alternatively you can try treating it with some generic medication (antibiotics, for example) and hope it helps. Could also be cool if certain medications (maybe most) provided some severe debuff so you couldn't just neck all the medication you have and hope for the best, as that might kill you. Instead you need to try and diagnose what exactly you have for the best possible treatment. I'm getting off topic, though.

Edited by BeefBacon