Sign in to follow this  
maximumak777 (DayZ)

Heli crashes

I'm wondering what the best way to find heli crashes is?

I know heli crashes aren't static anymore, so I need to know how many spawn per server and how often heli crashes respawn. Also, what's the best way to find them?

You tube videos. Lots of them out there, but mostly making your own routes around maps like Izurvive.com and the one posted above.

I call it running the gauntlet.

Yea, Wacktopia is correct that it's 3 per server. However, they are "supposed" despawn, and respawn every 4 hours. Unfortunately, there is a bug in 0.59 where it's only 1 hour.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Well, here's an online map that lists helicoptor crash sites.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

i believe it is up to date.

If you want to maximise chance of finding one, you should aim to target 'density'.  #crash sites possible per unit area.

This is the best way to target them, and you can work out the areas from the map.  Smallest area that you need to cover vs greatest amount of crash sites contained within area will yield your best chances, irrespective of spawn number.  That said, if it's a random spawn and you are somewhat restricted by your current position on the map, this strategy will not always provide success or economy.

A cursory glance will show that the greatest density appears on the western and/or northern portions of the map.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Yea, Wacktopia is correct that it's 3 per server. However, they are "supposed" despawn, and respawn every 4 hours. Unfortunately, there is a bug in 0.59 where it's only 1 hour.

If that's a bug, leave it in. I have been finding tons of great stuff lately.  I actually think that 1 hour respawn timers even make it more fair for people on foot.  

Edited by emuthreat

I'm wondering what the best way to find heli crashes is?

I know heli crashes aren't static anymore, so I need to know how many spawn per server and how often heli crashes respawn. Also, what's the best way to find them?

To avoid creating tons of redundant threads, you could also use the forum search function; or for a broader base of resources to draw from, Google it yourself.

Personally, I'd run a route something like this.  You should be able to see most of the sites you don't run straight through.  It's also run-able in an hour* on foot if you stock up on food and drink from wells etc on the way.

On my count this route covers about 43/55 sites and the chance of all three spawns being in one of the 12 sites you don't visit is about 1 in 27 -- or put another way you stand a 96% chance of finding at least one site along the route assuming no restart/respawn. 

Edit: * make the most of being able to run forever and do this kind of thing - my prediction is that sprint fatigue will come before too long.  

gyfBhwY.jpg

Edited by wacktopia
  • Like 1

Not really a helo hunter, I have been just running into them. Seems like there more of them now then there was a year ago. I found 2 of them so far since .59 stable that were US or NATO, not even really trying. Haven't found a ruski one yet. Just look for smoke. And treat it like your at a mil base when were there. meaning be careful of other players. There million other players all looking for the same thing, so the likely hood of a hostile encounter goes up just being near one. 

Some players make a career out of helo hunting. It is kind of fun.

Edited by CJFlint

note the helis on that map that are not on the route.