☣BioHaze☣

DayZ staff/devs/Bohemia show their love.

I'm speaking from both sides of the fence, here.  I play quite a bit of running around through the forest, hoarding helicrash loot and other high-end goodies, as well as occasionally getting bored with my fully geared state and trying to get into trouble.  So far this patch, the zombies are good, but not great.  I still occasionally get bored enough to try some patient PVP.  Just today, I sat at a helicrash, and then went to Myshkino tents by myself; albeit on a low-pop experimental server. Too few people really play on the 1pp servers these days, even on experimental; maybe that is why I sometimes feel the need to taunt some of the more self-proclaimed elite of this game.  I shot all twelve zeds in Myshkino with an SVD, and looted it out for a good amount of decent gear, then went back to Sosnovka to continue my search for sedan tires.  Aside from having one of my mounted tires in Pushtoshka stolen by a server-hopper (on experimental 1pp, nonetheless), my few hours solo were quite uneventful.

I do not condemn KOS/griefing, but I think that the developers should try to structure the game in such a way that more complex playstyles are likely to naturally emerge from the game.

I just hope that once the game is feature complete and filled to the brim with zombies, people will find enjoyment in trying to contact other players by other than ballistic means.  There is so much more to this concept than constantly roaming high traffic areas of Chernarus, trying to kill anyone that you see.

I agree, I just don't really feel zombies specifically are the answer (though they need a bit more than the current state).  I think fleshing out mechanics like hunting and farming and crafting are the way to get people to be doing less killing.

This patch I've spent a whole lot of time messing around with vehicles, that I otherwise would have been spending just looking for a fight.  Things that can provide an alternative but also a benefit to whatever playstyle you prefer are the way to go, but the key thing is to make them optional.  Which is why stuff like in the latest status report of diverging from scavenging canned goods to forcing players to hunt and farm sounds like a terrible approach to me and I think is one of the types of things that players like NexVentor probably doesn't want.  If he's like me, I'd imagine he has no issue with hunting and farming and "pve" concepts, he just doesn't want to be forced into them just the same as those who might really enjoy those aspects more than pvp don't want to be forced into pvp.

I could very well see farming just becoming the default thing to do for groups once bases are in as it will be a lot easier than scavenging, but it shouldn't be forced on that lone wolf player who has no interest in it from the start just because he can't find enough food looting.  And I say this as some one who often farms too as it is because I do enjoy all the facets of this game.

Edited by Bororm

I agree, I just don't really feel zombies specifically are the answer (though they need a bit more than the current state).  I think fleshing out mechanics like hunting and farming and crafting are the way to get people to be doing less killing.

This patch I've spent a whole lot of time messing around with vehicles, that I otherwise would have been spending just looking for a fight.  Things that can provide an alternative but also a benefit to whatever playstyle you prefer are the way to go, but the key thing is to make them optional.  Which is why stuff like in the latest status report of diverging from scavenging canned goods to forcing players to hunt and farm sounds like a terrible approach to me and I think is one of the types of things that players like NexVentor probably doesn't want.  If he's like me, I'd imagine he has no issue with hunting and farming and "pve" concepts, he just doesn't want to be forced into them just the same as those who might really enjoy those aspects more than pvp don't want to be forced into pvp.

I could very well see farming just becoming the default thing to do for groups once bases are in as it will be a lot easier than scavenging, but it shouldn't be forced on that lone wolf player who has no interest in it from the start just because he can't find enough food looting.  And I say this as some one who often farms too as it is because I do enjoy all the facets of this game.

It's a tough task trying to understand what DayZ is, what it should be, and how that should look and feel.  At its core, DayZ is a survival simulator in a world overrun with infected, and hostile survivors; it should be harsh, difficult, complex, and unforgiving.  Survival should be a chore; advantages should be difficult to secure, and require significant investment.

Much in the same way that we aren't forced to carry a gun, nobody will be forced to farm; they can always choose to forage or scavenge, albeit without any guarantee of results.  But just as we all know that carrying a gun is a de facto necessity for survival, farming should be a core part of the play experience for many people.  You can choose not to grow your own food, just the same as you could choose to not carry a gun and avoid confrontations.  But growing your food will be certain and reliable, much in the same way that having a means of defending yourself will no longer mean any hostile contact will almost certainly result in your death.

Vehicles are a wonderful example of the investment/return mechanics that will help to diversify player behavior.  Once they are reliable and free of bugs, I'd be happy to see them require even more investment of parts and time to get them running.  This will increase their value accordingly.  The whole point of adding all of these survival mechanics, vehicles, crafting, dynamic events, and zombies to the game, is to make something different from ARMA.  Everything that makes DayZ what it is, can be regarded as an addition to this dynamic system with the express purpose of adding difficulty and uncertainty, to what would otherwise just be a large virtual world where people go to shoot one another. 

For these reasons, I cannot agree with appeals to keep from making the game too difficult or complex.  There are myriad other games that exist, in which a person can easily get a military loadout and go kill other players.  DayZ is not these games, although it will invariably be modded into such a state.  So if we can be 100% certain that DayZ will be modded into whatever simpler, easier,  version of itself people will wish to play, where is the reason in not making the vanilla version as difficult as possible?

I am actually in favor of implementing certain crafting or base building mechanics that would absolutely require two people to complete.  Hopefully this would require lone-wolf player to seek amicable interactions.  Nobody would be forced to do anything.  They would simply have a choice.  If they wish to construct X, or move Y, then they must work together with another player.  They can just as easily opt out of pursuing that particular task, or even seek out a mod in which such tasks require no effort at all.  The goal of these "MacGuffins" would be to direct and encourage players to pursue any of a number of different actions in the game.  People can shoot people, repeatedly; we know this already.  I'm much more interested in seeing what new types of behavior will emerge from a game with more complex and difficult mechanics than we are used to seeing.  I think the combination of zombies, weather, disease, hunger and thirst, and various technological aspirations will give people plenty to do.  I would just prefer to ignore those who would complain that all these other features are getting in the way of their trying to shoot people as often as they would like.  There are plenty of other games, built just for that purpose.

• Like 1

I would like to say that the DayZ staff and forum moderators take an enormous amount of heat and for the most part handle it like champs.

like champs? i seen a lot of permanent forum bans issued,with no reason given, just a blank spot where the reason for the ban should have been. thats not like champs in my book

like champs? i seen a lot of permanent forum bans issued,with no reason given, just a blank spot where the reason for the ban should have been. thats not like champs in my book

They never ban without reason. Please, do not start speaking nonsense.  ^_^

• Like 1

Your failure to buy a quality computer without inflated prices does not warrant a feature change. My PC I bought several years ago plays it at 35fps in a good resolution with many of the options up at "high" or above. If you ignore the expensive mouse and other preiferals my PC itself was about $800. You need to learn to shop smarter. 

my PC is four years old, cost 500 € and DayZ is the only game i can't play at 60 fps, and i own MGS V, Fallout 4, Armored Warfare etc.

if you say that i need to buy a completely new PC for ONE game, sry, not happening

i know optimizations will be made sometimes, but i fear they wont make it much better

hell, i can run Arma 3 just fine, but Dayz kicks the bucket once i see a town on the horizon...

and seeing people complaining about less than 20 fps in the technichal issues subforum with an FX 8350 and GTX 980 is not really making me feel good about buying a new PC just to get the same bad performance :-/ it would be a shot in the dark

Edited by Zombo

Hello there

I wouldnt buy a new rig *just* for DAYZ, especially at this stage, its just far too incomplete.

But I suppose it depends on one's disposable income.

Rgds

LoK

The motivations concern me when they destroy the intended theme of the environment, an apocalypse.

Running around griefing is hardly how a person would act in the apocalypse. Right?

Some of us are "evangelists" for different aspects of the game, my drum to beat is the "anti-KoS" drum.

The prevailing attitude that KoS = survival has dominated the conversation for too long because it's the easiest path and because grief begets grief (grief potato).

I am very excited to see the development is finally going to be pulling Vanilla DayZ SA away from that making KoS a much less survivable tactic (imagine 12 infected eating your face within 30 seconds of firing any non-suppressed gun at any time).

I don't relish the diminishing of others play styles as much as I relish the diminishing of the psychology that perpetuates KoS.

Your KoS friend is certainly the exception, as am I to some extent (most of the people I played with died during those patches).

I would still argue that my tactics have a much higher survival rate AND WILL TRANSLATE OVER WELL WHEN CORE MECHANICS ARE IN PLACE (unlike KoS).

Seriously, thank you for a cogent response. It's refreshing to actually have a conversation where it seems the person read what I wrote! :thumbsup:

Im not sure why people hate KoS some goddamn much. Its a strategy of survival. A risky one, but it works. Honestly, if I was in a zombie apocalypse, I'd do whatever it takes to survive, even if it means killing other living humans. However, there'd be limits like children and women and such, but thats all in ethics and morals. This is a GAME, where NOTHING MATTERS. I kill because I want to and it has no effect on my mentality about this GAME. If I want to kill everyone I see, I will. Because it is a GAME. I don't rage when I get KoS'd, I don't have any toxic attitude towards KoS. It's a legitimate survival strategy and if you don't like it, then you should probably leave DayZ entirely because its an integral part of this GAME.

Note: The people who are toxic towards KoS are always the ones attached to their gear, even though they say they aren't.

Edited by Darkrider400

Im not sure why people hate KoS some goddamn much. Its a strategy of survival. A risky one, but it works. Honestly, if I was in a zombie apocalypse, I'd do whatever it takes to survive, even if it means killing other living humans. However, there'd be limits like children and women and such, but thats all in ethics and morals. This is a GAME, where NOTHING MATTERS. I kill because I want to and it has no effect on my mentality about this GAME. If I want to kill everyone I see, I will. Because it is a GAME. I don't rage when I get KoS'd, I don't have any toxic attitude towards KoS. It's a legitimate survival strategy and if you don't like it, then you should probably leave DayZ entirely because its an integral part of this GAME.

Note: The people who are toxic towards KoS are always the ones attached to their gear, even though they say they aren't.

The absolute last thing I care about is my gear.

I care about the longevity of my characters life, naked or otherwise.

You've made a massive amount of unfounded assumptions and it would be a great service to yourself to understand the person you are addressing before commenting.

KoS is not a legit survival strategy in any way.

KoS is a way to stave off boredom and ill-perceived threat while making yourself feel better because "it's just a game", and "everybody does it".

If you could immerse yourself the in setting of DayZ for a moment your scared and likely unprepared body and mind would choose very different courses of action.

When you say, "it's only a game", you are saying, "I lack imagination".

Edited by BioHaze

The absolute last thing I care about is my gear.

I care about the longevity of my characters life, naked or otherwise.

You've made a massive amount of unfounded assumptions and it would be a great service to yourself to understand the person you are addressing before commenting.

KoS is not a legit survival strategy in any way.

KoS is a way to stave off boredom and ill-perceived threat while making yourself feel better because "it's just a game", and "everybody does it".

If you could immerse yourself the in setting of DayZ for a moment your scared and likely unprepared body and mind would choose very different courses of action.

When you say, "it's only a game", you are saying, "I lack imagination".

Or because Im a realist and I've already done everything there is to be done in this game. I've explored the map, fixed up every car and drove them. Used every weapon. Seen everything. I don't get bored though. Every conflict is new and I take advantage of that. You say to immerse myself in the setting of dayz, and that my "unprepared body and mind" would take very different courses of action. Well, theres something that needs to be said here. Im not stupid. I've played roles like sniper, Ill sit in a bush for hours to wait for people to walk into my sights before a let a bullet loose. I've played Scout for bigger groups that need a rabbit for other players to chase while the big group moves in to loot. I've played Support, laying down suppressing fire while the group flanks the enemies. I've played the Hermit, sitting in the woods hunting deer, cows, fish, rabbits, foxes and boars, while crafting my clothes, gear, and arrows. You're talking to someone who has done everything in this game. I don't have to "immerse" myself into a game to take on different actions. You say I lack imagination, I say you just don't know what you're talking about. You say you care about your character's longetivity. My character has not died since the .59 patch came out. You may call bullshit. Or maybe my strategy of sticking to the shadows and only looting at night just works well. I don't KoS if I'm not geared to a certain extent. I play all encounter scenarios in my head before actually confronting another player. You are toxic towards people who KoS. That's fine. Just know that you are not only toxic to a majority of players, but also to a way of playing. I choose to KoS when I'm sufficiently geared because I have the top gear in the game and there is nothing further for me to do as I have a base already set up. I will shove my top gear into my base, go get top gear again, go to the coast, and present a challenge to everyone. The challenge is trying to kill a geared player who has been alive for very long. I have yet to go back down to the coast this patch, but if you are so against KoS, then maybe you should play a different game. KoS will always exist, whether the community likes it or not. It exists in every survival game ever made.

Note: If you want to "act" like how a true person would in an apocalypse, theres the lesser "RP" servers for you. Go play on those and leave the regular servers to people who aren't incredibly toxic.

Edited by Darkrider400

To everyone who's complaining about the development taking far too long, I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I would rather them take ages and release a game that has the lowest amount of bugs possible than having the game released tomorrow with a ton of bugs that could have been fixed if they just pushed it back.

Lets look at DICE and the release of Battlefield 4. Do we want a game like that, a game that's still as broken as it was when they released it back in 2013?

• Like 2

*Describes playing CoD -snip- .....toxic.

How could I possibly be toxic towards people who KoS anywhere but here?

KoS is by definition griefing and is the single most toxic thing you can do.

Just because most players have adopted KoS does not make it right.

You have bought into the mentality of the people and groups you ran to for friendship and safety.

You never once thought to form your own code of conduct.

I have been having this discussion since the summer of 2012 and I have logic to dispel everything you can think of.

I did not die for all of .59 experimental despite all the KoS morons running around.

Please continue to run around all smug because the average knuckle dragger agrees with you.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

How could I possibly be toxic towards people who KoS anywhere but here?

KoS is by definition griefing and is the single most toxic thing you can do.

Just because most players have adopted KoS does not make it right.

You have bought into the mentality of the people and groups you ran to for friendship and safety.

You never once thought to form your own code of conduct.

I have been having this discussion since the summer of 2012 and I have logic to dispel everything you can think of.

I did not die for all of .59 experimental despite all the KoS morons running around.

Please continue to run around all smug because the average knuckle dragger agrees with you.

"describes playing Cod"? Wow, way to be an immature little child. KoS, by definition means Kill On Sight. You can check literally every site that has it (namely Urban dictionary). It does NOT count as greifing. What counts as greifing is the child-like attitude you have adopted and brought into this conversation. And your logic of " I didnt die for all of .59 experimental", well i didnt die either, so not a big accomplishment or challenge there, buddy. And the logic of "Just because most players adopted it, doesnt make it right". Bitch please, last time I checked, there was still children like 11 years old on this game shouting racial slurs if you killed them, you really want to bring "whats right" into dayz? This is a game about survival, not about "what is right". If you want politics on moral choices, go play something else, because this isn't the place for it and theres absolutely nothing you can do to stop KoS. No matter what the devs do, KoS will always be in this game, considering they're trying to make it "realistic", they can't imposea penalty on it. So you're shit out of luck. Also "continue to run around all smug because the average knuckle dragger agrees with you", are you implying that everyone who has KoS'd, is below you? Man, you talk about whats right, but you're basically calling every KoS'er sub-human. Your toxicity could kill a country, go cry in a corner or something.

[Edit]: Just tried searching up "does Kill on Sight count as griefing?" in Google. All that came up was one thing from Rust, and several teamkill griefing issues from Counter Strike. Your argument is invalid.

Edited by Darkrider400

Hey guys! Topic is way off track. Nasty dark waters out there. Let's be friends.

Some people like KOS.

Some people do not like KOS.

Everyone wants more out of this wonderful game, no more than the Devs themselves. - Thank you Bohemia peeps for your goodness. Tell us to be testing specific stuffs if we can move this along faster! :D

• Like 1

-snip- Bitch please, -snip-

You are unable to follow both sides of the debate in a cogent fashion and you are unable to post within forum rules.

Reported for abusive language.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did not intend for this to become the new KoS thread.

I'm really stoked that BI gave us a shout and I'm excited to see what's to come.

• Like 1

You are unable to follow both sides of the debate in a cogent fashion and you are unable to post within forum rules.

Reported for abusive language.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did not intend for this to become the new KoS thread.

I'm really stoked that BI gave us a shout and I'm excited to see what's to come.

Says the one calling KoS'ers sub-human. Not to mention I follow the argument way more than you did.

Edited by Darkrider400

Says the one calling KoS'ers sub-human. Not to mention I follow the argument way more than you did.

Yet, I didn't call you a bitch or anything nearly as offensive as the things in your last post.

I will leave you with what I wrote on page 3 and ask that you kindly not poke the bear on this further at this time.

The motivations concern me when they destroy the intended theme of the environment, an apocalypse.

Running around griefing is hardly how a person would act in the apocalypse. Right?

Some of us are "evangelists" for different aspects of the game, my drum to beat is the "anti-KoS" drum.

The prevailing attitude that KoS = survival has dominated the conversation for too long because it's the easiest path and because grief begets grief (grief potato).

I am very excited to see the development is finally going to be pulling Vanilla DayZ SA away from that making KoS a much less survivable tactic (imagine 12 infected eating your face within 30 seconds of firing any non-suppressed gun at any time).

I don't relish the diminishing of others play styles as much as I relish the diminishing of the psychology that perpetuates KoS.

Your KoS friend is certainly the exception, as am I to some extent (most of the people I played with died during those patches).

I would still argue that my tactics have a much higher survival rate AND WILL TRANSLATE OVER WELL WHEN CORE MECHANICS ARE IN PLACE (unlike KoS).

Seriously, thank you for a cogent response. It's refreshing to actually have a conversation where it seems the person read what I wrote! :thumbsup:

Originally @ bororm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DO want all the sexperimental .60's!!!

Somewhere in Prague keys are coding my SA!

Can you hear them?

:D

• Like 1

Hello there

Waaaaayyyyyy off topic.

Also, personal insults will not be tolerated even if it is "hip and groovy" street slang. I *know* its the internet but just try to be pleasant to each other while you are in these forums.

Back on topic, please.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4