Sign in to follow this  
Chris Tudberry

Eureka!

Archimedes had his moment of genius in the bath - let's see how mine compares...

According to recent announcements, the devs are still wrestling with the idea of how to fully populate the world with zombies and maintain server performance etc.

Well, here's a possible and easy answer: have a sizable amount of 'dead' zombies littering the world as props. It'd be pretty realistic to do this as many would have been killed by players and many would be civilians killed by zombies etc. They'd add some authenticity to the game and, if some could be 'woken up' by the usual triggers (sound, smell etc), they'd pose an immediate but not predictable threat to the players.

Obviously, many could remain dormant in order to maintain dramatic tension, but obviously a few will just be waiting and when they get up, the fun will begin.

I think that this would eliminate a number of headaches such as spawning them out of the player's view and the also meta game of looking for zombies in towns to determine if there are players nearby. i.e. there will always be bodies, but there's no way of knowing which are still alive. There could still be a couple of walkers just to keep it interesting and to provide sound triggers if or when they notice the players (screams or gunshots).

Well, that's it. I know it'd add tension (how could walking past corpses not do this?) and although I'm no tech guru, I think it's be really easy to implement (no additional models etc.) as well as improving the aesthetic.

What do you all think?

Chris

zombies aren't death, they're infected humans, however I guess they could just be sitting around resting till they spot a player or sleeping, since they're infected humans they need sleep

Yup - if they were zombies, they could claw their way out of the ground for added drama... But, yes, that's what I meant - 'dormant' infected.

Yup - if they were zombies, they could claw their way out of the ground for added drama... But, yes, that's what I meant - 'dormant' infected.

Ah okey, that would be pretty cool, espacially because you could put zombies in buildings aswell

and since the buildings are prefabs (in other words if I paint the red house green and save the prefab, every red house will become green)

you could easily add zombie spawns to the houses.

• Like 1

The infected spawned into the game are already 'dormant' until a player gets to within 500 meters. At least that is what I found by testing it using a friend with binoculars and a range finder... as I slowly walked towards the frozen subject. Sure enough, at approximately 500 meters it sprung to life. Then I backed away slightly and it froze again, in a pose that would have made Michael Jackson jealous. Tested it repeatedly and always the same result.

• Like 2

The zombie vs virus argument is very tired. They are obviously classic George A Romero zobies but people are always like "oh no! they are just sick!" hell, maybe we shouldnt even kill them then cause maybe we could find a cure! So tired... maybe they aren't zombies or infected with a virus... maybe they are just really tired and angry that you woke them up while they were sleep walking?

Are they zombies?

Are they sick with some virus?

Are they sleep walking?

where is this set in stone exactly?

The zombie vs virus argument is very tired. They are obviously classic George A Romero zobies but people are always like "oh no! they are just sick!" hell, maybe we shouldnt even kill them then cause maybe we could find a cure! So tired... maybe they aren't zombies or infected with a virus... maybe they are just really tired and angry that you woke them up while they were sleep walking?

Are they zombies?

Are they sick with some virus?

Are they sleep walking?

where is this set in stone exactly?

Jesus fucking Christ.

They aren't zombies. It says so right on the official wiki

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Zombie

We, and the devs, use "zombie" because typing out "infected living human" becomes tiresome after a while.

• Like 1

The infected spawned into the game are already 'dormant' until a player gets to within 500 meters. At least that is what I found by testing it using a friend with binoculars and a range finder... as I slowly walked towards the frozen subject. Sure enough, at approximately 500 meters it sprung to life. Then I backed away slightly and it froze again, in a pose that would have made Michael Jackson jealous. Tested it repeatedly and always the same result.

Ah, didn't realise that - thanks.

Having said that, I reckon there'd still be more horsepower required on the server to animate/activate every infected that was within 500m of a player (we're up to 75 now, I think so could be 100s at any time). And I think they were talking about a hybrid system of spawning extra ones in when necessary.

With the idea I've proposed, some/many wouldn't activate until players were a few feet away and there'd be no spawning necessary - some would get up and others wouldn't. And I still think that it'd add tension, authenticity and improve the meta game of checking a location for players by checking for animated infected. At the moment, we can still do that.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

The ideas a start, I hope they figure it out because it sucks that zeds are only in big towns, game either needs new PVE enemies or they need to get these upped i love the game but it gets boring with nothing to be worried about, yes yes i know humans but i'm not gonna run all over looking for people that shit get old fast, even on a full server your chances of running into folks is slim and honestly even the human threat is getting boring same ol shit, I just wanna battle hordes of infected thats all and if not them something else games just gets boring with no threat. and like i said humans aren't enough. and yes i have taken breaks i do after every update because it ends up the same newness of update wears of and i realize i'm just walking around for no reason and pretty much do not need a gun because there is no danger really.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

That's what I mean - not knowing which ones are sleeping / waiting / dormant and which aren't, would make it scary again. Even the odd one getting up behind you would give a good fright. And imagine the chaos if loads of them jumped up at the same time. Total panic. 

Jesus fucking Christ.

They aren't zombies. It says so right on the official wiki

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Zombie

We, and the devs, use "zombie" because typing out "infected living human" becomes tiresome after a while.

That "official" wiki is obsolete and irrelevant. I also think you may be using the word "official" quite liberally since, like its predecessors, its edited and added to by whoever feels the need to add and edit the content. Invalid argument. Credible citations needed.

Why bring Jesus into this? What is so personal about this subject for you? On what authority do you speak for the devs? You say "we just call them zombies because typing out 'infected living human' becomes tiresome'". Dude... what about when were not typing? What about in the description of the game which only needs to be typed out 1 time? What are the differences between zombies and the so-called "infected living human"? Im sure there are several other words "we" could use instead of zombie that have even fewer characters and are far more open to interpretation if they arent zombies... why so much confusion surrounding a topic which is central to the game? Why are the 'survivors' not vulnerable to the 'infection'? The infected human bs is just a hole you are digging to nowhere. They are zombies. Anything else would inspire a million questions you would HAVE TO be able to answer. Zombies would just raise questions that couldn't be answered. Hmmm

#obviouszombies #georgeromero #ripwiki

Edited by iClown

That "official" wiki is obsolete and irrelevant. I also think you may be using the word "official" quite liberally since, like its predecessors, its edited and added to by whoever feels the need to add and edit the content. Invalid argument. Credible citations needed.

This page was last modified on 

8 November 2015, at 00:10

So, a little more than a month old. Hardly "obsolete and irrelevant".

"credible citations needed."

Fuck off. This isn't a research journal.

Here, direct from the (original) developer. And, considering how the (new) developers haven't said anything to the contrary (in fact, they have stated that it is true, multiple times), it is still canon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1zbsks/psa_the_zombies_arent_dead_theyre_infected_living/cfsdipd

This page was last modified on 

8 November 2015, at 00:10

So, a little more than a month old. Hardly "obsolete and irrelevant".

"credible citations needed."

Fuck off. This isn't a research journal.

Here, direct from the (original) developer. And, considering how the (new) developers haven't said anything to the contrary (in fact, they have stated that it is true, multiple times), it is still canon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1zbsks/psa_the_zombies_arent_dead_theyre_infected_living/cfsdipd

Dude... the wikipedia is very much outdated for Standalone. It also states at the top of the wiki that it is a reference point for the MOD as well as S.A.

Your reddit topic right where it begins "This is taken from the stringtable.xml file found in the the dayz_code folder of older versions of the mod.(got it from version 1.7.2.3)"

The original developer doesnt really have a whole lot to do with DayZ SA in its current standings... or the mod...

There is no reason to get all up in arms man. Relax.

Edited by iClown

Dude... the wikipedia is very much outdated for Standalone. It also states at the top of the wiki that it is a reference point for the MOD as well as S.A.

Your reddit topic right where it begins "This is taken from the stringtable.xml file found in the the dayz_code folder of older versions of the mod.(got it from version 1.7.2.3)"

The original developer doesnt really have a whole lot to do with DayZ SA in its current standings... or the mod...

There is no reason to get all up in arms man. Relax.

You are wrong.  He is right.  The end.

• Like 1

Huh! I rather like this idea! I was thinking much of the same today while I played. . Having littered corpses everywhere to simulate a lot more horror. .

But your idea expands on that much more and could mean that some could simply be 'passed out' and when a player happens by, they raise up and go charging because they need to eat/drink/survive on you and your goods. .

Very good :D

• Like 1

Thanks Espa - I knew I couldn't be the only one because it's just so 'obvious' (once you've thought of it). Would love to see this in game and I think you explained it very succinctly there too. Can I just post this in your suggestion list so hopefully more people get to see it?

• Like 1

Definitely man! I plan on updating it a bit more today with some goodies and I'll be sure to add yours into the Infected Personality section and credit you and your suggestion link ^_^

• Like 1

Went ahead and placed your idea under a new section in my Listing! :D

It's under Atmospheric Horror Additions! I hope it matches your vision, sir, and I did credit your suggestion link previous to the elaboration! :)

• Like 1

Instead of them just "playing dead" everywhere, perhaps they could crawl out from under wrecked vehicles and the like. Much the same effect without causing the just infected/dead walking debate from flaring as much.

• Like 1

Went ahead and placed your idea under a new section in my Listing! :D

It's under Atmospheric Horror Additions! I hope it matches your vision, sir, and I did credit your suggestion link previous to the elaboration! :)

Cheers man - well, at least we know there are two of us!

• Like 1