Sign in to follow this  
KenoSkir88

Helicopters ETA?

I know there's been some general info about introduction of helicopters, but does anyone remember an approximate ETA being mentioned anywhere? I've been excited by the Helicopter Support mentioned in this weeks status update.

I know nothing is guaranteed of course, just wondering if it's on the horizon or not ^_^

I've been excited by the Helicopter Support mentioned in this weeks status update.

Yeah, me too. I guess if the code is worked on the limiting factor at the moment is lag. Helicopters is something Bohemia's always done right, kinda arcade but fun feel to them. I expect the DayZ one to be at least as good. The Little Bird isn't much faster than the sedan, so if they get that working hopefully chopper's aren't that far. I hope soon after we'll see new truckbeds, including a refuel truck. 

Edited by S3V3N

Yeah, me too. I guess if the code is worked on the limiting factor at the moment is lag. Helicopters is something Bohemia's always done right, kinda arcade but fun feel to them. I expect the DayZ one to be at least as good. The Little Bird isn't much faster than the sedan, so if they get that working hopefully chopper's aren't that far. I hope soon after we'll see new truckbeds, including a refuel truck. 

Little Bird is well capable of cruising at over 250kph, pretty sure it would leave any of the ground vehicles in a cloud of dust. That said i hear what you're getting at. Hopefully once new fixes for player position / vehicle desync are in it should be a relatively quick addition.

I have run tests, and a round trip from northwest airfield to the southeast coast and back takes under 8 minutes including takeoff and landings :) assuming the Little Bird is modeled similarly to Arma3.

Little Bird is well capable of cruising at over 250kph, pretty sure it would leave any of the ground vehicles in a cloud of dust. That said i hear what you're getting at. Hopefully once new fixes for player position / vehicle desync are in it should be a relatively quick addition.

I have run tests, and a round trip from northwest airfield to the southeast coast and back takes under 8 minutes including takeoff and landings :) assuming the Little Bird is modeled similarly to Arma3.

Whenever I flew a Little Bird in Arma I had a hard time getting it to 180-190km/h. The cruising speed was 150 km/h, I'd say. Plus you get the different LOD setting from being airborne, so you see less detail rendered.The Little Bird Model is based on the one from A Take on Helicopters, and I assume the controls will be similarly to that, too; never played it, personally. I don't think we can hide+protect a chopper without a base, so these things should probably be released subsequently.

Can't wait until I can fly a chopper and just kamikaze crash into a group of well geared people! :D

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

bring her to hover.

angle blade down

advance towards group.

chop suey.

Here's hoping there is at least a rudimentary start up procedure required.  If there is a dumbed down / full sim support for the little bird then i will be happy man, and will add a slight/moderate element of skill/practice to the piloting of the craft.

150kph in a straight line is pretty damned good for the map size though ;)  This isn't Altis we're talking about here...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Had a little play in Arma3, sprint speeds on MH-9 Hummingbird (very similar to MH-6 in performance) approx of 220-230, even had a really lucky crash land at the end when i clipped the rotor on the ground :P

http://plays.tv/video/56193ac7a7e4940db0

Edited by KenoSkir88

was hoping they did a big update like last christmas with the heli this year but now i think its gonna be .59

Not excited for helicopters one bit. But if they are infact HARDER to get up and running than a normal car than id be ok with this. Mainly because you wont see to many jackasses flying around trying to troll ppl.

Can't wait until I can fly a chopper and just kamikaze crash into a group of well geared people! :D

With the amount of hassle it will be to get one going (consider extra hassle currently finding 4 correct wheels separately, spark plug, correct battery etc on .exp for any vehicle) you may find it's not worth it for a seconds worth of suicide that you wont be able to collect loot from.

Edited by KenoSkir88

Whenever I flew a Little Bird in Arma I had a hard time getting it to 180-190km/h. The cruising speed was 150 km/h, I'd say. Plus you get the different LOD setting from being airborne, so you see less detail rendered.The Little Bird Model is based on the one from A Take on Helicopters, and I assume the controls will be similarly to that, too; never played it, personally. I don't think we can hide+protect a chopper without a base, so these things should probably be released subsequently.

Both in real life and Arma 3 200+ km/h is achievable. I'm thinking Bohemia will likely choose to give it speed closer to the correct/Arma 3 value.

The arma 2 Littlebird was arbitrarily slow for whatever reason. And parachutes would impact the rotors and doom the helicopter if your passenger ever ejected. Lets hope they fixed that bug too.  :D

• Like 1

With the amount of hassle it will be to get one going (consider extra hassle currently finding 4 correct wheels separately, spark plug, correct battery etc on .exp for any vehicle) you may find it's not worth it for a seconds worth of suicide that you wont be able to collect loot from.

Remember that, just as the truck, choppers will for a period need to be tested without finding a load of equipment. That means #YOLO #KAMIKAZE!

• Like 1

you may find it's not worth it for a seconds worth of suicide that you wont be able to collect loot from.

Only if you can't fly.  B)

Explain?

I took your comment to mean, "Why bother spending so much time repairing an intensive project like a helicopter when it will likely result in a fiery death from crashing soon afterwards?"

Indeed, my first repaired helo resulted in instant death that had no recoverable loot. But that problem isn't an issue if you don't crash.

Those are clearly aviator sunglasses on my smiley face.

Edited by CornProducts

I took your comment to mean, "Why bother spending so much time repairing an intensive project like a helicopter when it will likely result in a fiery death from crashing soon afterwards?"

Indeed, my first repaired helo resulted in instant death that had no recoverable loot. But that problem isn't an issue if you don't crash.

Those are clearly aviator sunglasses on my smiley face.

Ah no i was replying to the guy i quoted, who mentioned how he was looking forward to crashing helos into geared people :)