Sign in to follow this  
Mukaparska

DayZ would probably be better without any military gear

I foresee all these problems disappearing once stamina/weight is fully implemented. People can't run as far and this will slow the game down tremendously. They will also need to choose between gearing for war, or gearing for sustained survival. People will be running around with M4s and stacks of ammunition far less if they can't carry their basic survival needs without weighing 400 pounds. Their entire mentality and playstyle would have to change with it.

My biggest expectation is the decreased difficulty with semi-automatic weapons and melee weapons. Now with melee weapons, it's basically two laggy guys running in circle trying to hit each others. And with bolt-action and semi-automatic weapons, it will be a lot easier to hit a moving target so you have bigger chance against fully automatic weapons. 

Here's to hoping that the game can afford to make infected enough of a threat to FORCE COOPERATION for all but the most hardened and shrewd survivors.

If the only approach for that is the number of zombies, the game might easily cross a treshold where it is deterring potential new players in scores. That's why I think elements like medical conditions, food, the entire skill system and more should be used to make the game more than a Deathmatch arena.

On a highway, speed limits alone will not keep people from speeding or DUI. A combination of threats/consequences, education, insurance fees, radar controls and more is doing the job and yet not enough to succeed.

So I would advocate to use a variety of means than use the simplistic approach and boil it all down to the number of zombies.

The latter reminds me of the late 90s games, where the only difference between "easy", "medium" and "hard" was the number of enemies, but the playstyle stayed the same.

If the only approach for that is the number of zombies, the game might easily cross a treshold where it is deterring potential new players in scores. That's why I think elements like medical conditions, food, the entire skill system and more should be used to make the game more than a Deathmatch arena.

On a highway, speed limits alone will not keep people from speeding or DUI. A combination of threats/consequences, education, insurance fees, radar controls and more is doing the job and yet not enough to succeed.

So I would advocate to use a variety of means than use the simplistic approach and boil it all down to the number of zombies.

The latter reminds me of the late 90s games, where the only difference between "easy", "medium" and "hard" was the number of enemies, but the playstyle stayed the same.

Vastly expanded numbers of infected will slow the game progression down, and force people to plan ahead, and think on their feet in order to survive.  People should be rewarded heavily for having an exit strategy, rather than just carrying around an automatic weapon and a couple hundred extra rounds.

I fear you may be oversimplifying with your reference to late 90's video game difficulty scaling; the one thing that makes our stupid, sauntering friends a threat, is their sheer numbers.

A single werewolf is dangerous because it is strong and fast and fierce, a couple vampires are dangerous because of their charisma and guile, and zombies are only dangerous because there are too many of them for you to just run and break through their ranks.

I agree, somewhat, that numbers alone will not make the zombies a terrible enough threat to force cooperation.  I am really hoping for gunshot mechanics to play a big role in infected behavior.  If I run from Gorka to Pushtoshka, stopping every 500 meters to fire my magnum in the air, it should have a predictable effect on the numbers, and area-densities of zombies in that region.  Doing such a thing should make it very dangerous for anybody in the area of Stary/Novy over the next hour, before the infected forget about the sensory stimulation and disperse.

I want hostile encounters to look more like two people cooperating at first to escape the hordes, then deciding if and how they want to screw the other guy over...

Ah the tired opinion that a survival game cannot also have an organised open world pvp mechanic or 'mil-sim' if you must.

People throwing rocks and pointy sticks = complainers

People using real-world weaponary with a varied range of type and calibre = complainers

Sci-fi weapons so it's not a mil-sim = complainers....

From the comments in this thread, it would be logical to assume that half the posters would just shoot mil-gear players on sight anyway.  Would you rather be shot by a derringer wielding man in nothing but underpants?  If anything, mil-gear allows this community to better identify serious threats, so what's the big problem?  If a major proportion of your deaths are from mil-geared players then shouldn't you start tailoring your tactics to managing that threat pattern?

Worm food can't complain

You didn't survive.

Try again

Try harder.

It's a sandbox plz.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 2

The game was... more fun and less frustrating when M4s were common. Hell, the school building spawned one 100% of the time.

There wasn't this top-down dominance. Everyone could go to an airfield, pick up an M4 and be relevant.

The game was... more fun and less frustrating when M4s were common. Hell, the school building spawned one 100% of the time.

There wasn't this top-down dominance. Everyone could go to an airfield, pick up an M4 and be relevant.

Everyone can spawn, run into Cherno and KO a fully geared player, making them relevant.

That isn't good gameplay. It might be quite difficult, but the number of videos I've seen where freshspawns just sprint around a geared player while they try fruitlessly to shoot a crack-fuelled Usain Bolt is astounding.

The stamina system will reduce the numbers of these super-geared players, with inventories stuffed with ammo. It'll also reduce the ability to simply sprint across the map to hit some military base.

I'd be in favour of military clothing being slightly reduced, but in turn military clothing should be pretty much the best choice all-round. There shouldn't be arbitrary restrictions. Civilian clothes, however, should be varied and common, which each clothing type having pros and cons. Hunting gear should sit somewhere in the middle. Warmth and water protection should be extremely important when choosing clothing. Currently the only 'good' civilian jacket is the rain jacket, which sucks. It makes basically everything else obsolete. Ideally players should carry a number of items of spare clothing. A rain coat for very wet weather. Quilted jacket if it's very cold. Maybe even different types of shoes conferring different advantages.

• Like 1

Ideally players should carry a number of items of spare clothing. A rain coat for very wet weather. Quilted jacket if it's very cold. Maybe even different types of shoes conferring different advantages.

Beans for carrying extra clothing and shoes.  I remember back in .57, when trucks hitting even the slightest bump would heavily damage your feet and legs, that people made fun of me for carrying extra shoes and pants; then they crashed a truck and were abundantly grateful that I had between carrying extras pairs for them swap into.  I'm pretty excited about new developments in item scaling.  Here's hoping that we can eventually roll up cloth items, for more compact storage; I see no reason why a drybag or tortilla backpack cannot be compressed to fit into the bottom ten slots of a mountain backpack.

Beans for carrying extra clothing and shoes.  I remember back in .57, when trucks hitting even the slightest bump would heavily damage your feet and legs, that people made fun of me for carrying extra shoes and pants; then they crashed a truck and were abundantly grateful that I had between carrying extras pairs for them swap into.  I'm pretty excited about new developments in item scaling.  Here's hoping that we can eventually roll up cloth items, for more compact storage; I see no reason why a drybag or tortilla backpack cannot be compressed to fit into the bottom ten slots of a mountain backpack.

A lot of "pvpers" carry extra shirts since they're essentially armor.  Which is for a silly reason.  But I wouldn't mind seeing an encouragement of carrying rain jackets or whatever for weather conditions.

In general I'd like to see less military clothing and a better balance across the different types.

A lot of "pvpers" carry extra shirts since they're essentially armor.  

"ANYBODY'S GOT A SPARE RIDER'S JACKET? XDDDDDDD"

ARK and H1Z1 has more to offer right now. The combat is smooth somehow and they have basebuilding.